The Navigator

The Navigator (The Navigator Trilogy #1)

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  407 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Owen turned to Cat but she was staring into the woods, her face a mast of fear. Far off, but moving closer, were two figures, both white, both faceless, seeming to glide between the trees. "The Harsh" whispered Cati."They're here."

Audio CD, 0 pages
Published January 9th 2007 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published 2006)

Linda
I swear that I need to lay off these time warp books! First of all, I thought that the author was the guy who wrote the Artemis Fowl books since the first name, Eoin, is the same. (I love that series) Not. This book had a LOT of flaws and didn't make much logical sense to me. I don't think that the author thought this time stuff out very well. In the story, time is hurtling backwards caused by these frozen beings called The Harsh. Why? When this happens, and it has happened before, a group of sl...more
Hillary
This was one of those books that taught me a lot about my own writing. The first word that comes to mind regarding this book is, "yikes". This slow-to-start book gave me shivers with it's ill-written grammatical errors and awkward plot points. I managed to ignore enough of that to move easily enough through the story. Of course, the poorly coordinated accents, speech, dialect and idioms frustrated me time and time again as apparently the author thought that just leaving words out made various pe...more
Mauro Hernandez
One day the world around Owen shifts oddly: Time flows backwards, and the world and family he knew disappear. Time can only be set right when the Resisters vanquish their ancient enemies, the Harsh. Unless they are stopped, everything Owen knows will vanish as if it has never been...And Owen discovers he has a terrifying role to play in this battle: he is the Navigator. After reading this book, it made me go straight to Barnes and Noble and buy the next book in the trilogy.
Karlan
Mar 17, 2008 Karlan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: age 9-12
If you know any 9-12 year olds who need a new, exciting fantasy, this is a good one. The Irish author has published adult books previously. Young Owen is called on to save the world from those who want to make time go backwards to a period before humans. The twists and turns and scary villains make this a page turner.
Erica
In the classic tradition of juvenile fantasy novels this story revolves around a young boy who sees something odd in the woods around his house one day and decides to follow it. This opens up a new reality to him and soon everything that he knows and loves is gone and in danger of disappearing forever if he can't rise master the rules of this strange new world and save the day. The world is a pretty interesting one; there's a lot of good, creative details although apparently not particularly mem...more
Kirsten
Nov 21, 2008 Kirsten rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle readers, YA fantasy fans
Eoin McNamee brings us a good first venture into the realm of middle-reader speculative fiction. There are elements of Philip Pullman and Garth Nix here, and it also reminded me a bit of Jeanette Winterson's recent children's novel, Tanglewreck. It's less ambitious than Tanglewreck, though, and I'm inclined to see that as a good thing, since that one really got mired down toward the end.

In contrast, The Navigator moves along at a fast clip and refuses to get too involved in the mechanics of the...more
Alicia
Good adventure/fantasy for fans of Gregor the Overlander, maybe Artemis Fowl, and others.

Owen is an outsider in his village for reasons he doesn't quite understand, unless it's because his father killed himself when Owen was a baby; at least, that's the story. If only his mother hadn't become so distant and distracted lately, he'd be fine with his outsider status.

One day he sees a strange figure in white, a flash of darkness, and everything changes. His home and town look like ancient ruins, and...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Candace Cunard for TeensReadToo.com

Owen is ostracized by the other children around him for his father's death long ago, a presumed suicide that resulted in his mother being thrown into a haze of depression from which she cannot escape. By his young teens, he's quietly self-reliant, managing the house on his own and taking care of his mother who is forgetful and not always lucid. He spends his time wandering around the terrain outside of his house, by a river and an abandoned old buil...more
Libby
Mike Fitzgerald, I finished this one for you!

I don't know that there was anything wrong with this fantasy, about a boy who gets caught in a battle between evil (a group of beings called the Harsh who set time to turning backward) and good (the "resisters" who exist on islands in time and try to set it forward again), but it just didn't appeal to me. The rule-setting of the world seemed a little off--it's always hard to play with time, but I just kept forgetting that time was supposed to be runni...more
Ryne
[Warning: Spoilers ahead!]

Required Category(ies) Satisfied: Fantasy

This novel operates on an interesting--though not wholly original--premise. Young Owen's sad and humdrum life is changed when he learns that a secret society called the Resisters, long asleep, has awakened to protect the world, and that he has a special destiny to help them--Hm! Kind of like Will Stanton and the Old Ones in Susan Cooper's series The Dark is Rising. Owen and his new friends from the Resisters must protect The Work...more
Chris
What I wrote when the Times Review came out:
Steam-punk young-adult weird-fiction? I'm there! The review was positive (though it did say there was a heavy debt well-worn Harry Potter and Star Wars cliches), but it still sounded good, AND the illustrations look awesome. Not enough illustrations these days.

Now that I've read it:
Wow, what a disappointment. The book was headed for a three star review for the first two-thirds, but it crashed and burned in the final stretch. At first, the McNamee did a...more
Kathy Lane
This time the cover provides a glimpse of the story one wouldn't expect once you realize who/what is pictured (*reference to my last posting re: Rover where I thought the cover was a detriment to the book's appeal).

The Navigator is reminiscent of The Subtle Knife by Phillip Pullman (His Dark Materials) where the hero learns along the way what the enemy is, and what his role is in the war. Owen also shoulders an unusual care taking role of a parent. Time is stretched, manipulated and turned backw...more
Deedra
I must admit I was unsure if I should continue reading this book after I read the reviews.I'm glad I did!It was a really fun read!
Sharon Skinner
This might be a decent story, but there are too many good books out there to spend time with one that is poorly written.

Lazy writing: protagonist's description via looking in the mirror, not just once, but twice!

Passive voice throughout the narrative. I think the word "was" is used in nearly every sentence.

Non-specific description: a dire lack of sensory details beyond sight and touch left me ungrounded and rudderless in the setting.

Cliche: in one case, twice in the same paragraph, which is whe...more
Dayna Smith
The first book in The Navigator trilogy. Owen is a young boy whose father died in a terrible accident. He often goes off into the woods to his own special den. One day he sees a strange uniformed man in the woods. The man tells him "It has begun" and Owen finds himself involved with a group of Resisters who are trying to keep the evil Harsh from destroying time itself. The Resisters, or some of them at least, believe Owen is the Navigator, the only one capable of stopping the Harsh. A cute serie...more
Maly
OMG!!!! This is a really awesome sci/fi book about.... well... let me just tell you what it says on the back of the book.
"Time is running out..... One day the world around Owen shifts ominously. Time flows backward, and his family and familiar places disappear. Time can be set right only when tge Resisters vanquish their ancient enemies, the Harsh. Unless the Harsh are stopped everything Owen knows will vanish as if it has never been. And owen has a terrifying role to play in this battle."
Ethan Clark
This, overall, was a good time traveling book. If it were by itself, it probably wouldn't be all that good. However, since it's the first book in a series, it's a great way to start it off. I'm glad that I finally got around to finishing it since I had twice before tried to do so. I liked it. It had great enemies and betrayals as well as time going backwards. I recommend this book to whoever likes time being bent, twisted, or gone backwards.
Wendy
I listen to more books on audiobook than read them in print these days. This book was a difficult listen. I had to give it more of my attention than the average book. It was slow to get through because I had to keep backtracking to make sure I knew what was happening. It has a couple more books in the series. I'll probably read/listen to them eventually, but I'm in no rush to do so.
Clayton Yuen
This is my first novel by Eoin McNamee. I liked the intricate story (of course, all time travel stories are intricate!) that went on and on and on. I guess the first story of a series needs to set up the environment and the storyline, but I found myself getting a bit bored.

Perhaps the 4 stars I have rated this novel show how good a theme we have at hand, but just a little too long.
Quinn
I found the Navigator easy to read and something I would want to share with my children. It is a fun quick story about a boy who doesn't alwasy feel like he fits in with the rest of the world, and finds out he has a greater purpose on an Island In Time. Highly recommend for younger readers and those who just want to escape for a short while.
Julie
For some reason I kept coming across this book and not wanting to read it. It was recommended to me by a colleague whose son LOVED it, so I gave it a chance and was pleasantly surprised. A good action/adventure with elements of both science fiction and fantasy. Eoin McNamee has written some very well received books for adults as well.
Susan
Well, we read them out of order since we picked up the third at a library book sale. We thoroughly enjoyed this book, but a big part was due to the fact we already knew the characters and where they ended up. More like seeing Star Wars prequels after a return of the Jedi, but the actors were the good ones all the way through.
E.M. Tippetts
Another book with a beautiful, creative setting and not much in the way of plot. There are a lot of lovely story threads here and some heartwarming resolutions, but the main protagonist is more of a passenger in the story, and his final act of heroism is rather anti-climactic. Still, a good, fast read. I enjoyed it.
Danielle
I enjoyed this book and am looking forward to the sequel. The plot was very original (at least I have never seen it before), and although some of the characters were borrowed from other authors, it was a very enjoyable read. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys young adult fantasy books.
Michele
Jun 22, 2008 Michele rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children/Adults 11+
Recommended to Michele by: another random find at the lib.
This children's fantasy was a fun read, creative, imaginative. The hero makes mistakes but is earnest and daring. He saves the world at the last possible moment and now I waiting for him to do it all over again. The mood is ominous and dangerous. Probably a book for children around 11 or 12+.
TheRealMelbelle
Time has to be saved and put right! This is an adventure which will appeal to ten year olds or young middle school kids. It wasn't well-written but the ideas were good and I would recommend it as a nice fast-paced story. This book might "hook" kids who don't like to read.
 Marla
Written for a younger Peter and the Starcatchers crowd. Story sounded familiar like Susan Cooper's Dark is Rising story, and those others are better series. This story is also similar to Eoin Colfer's Airman.

With reservations: Uses d*** so not meant for too young readers.
Amy Blum
My 3rd grade son read this in his school book club. I read it when he was finished. While not my favorite of the books he has read this year, it was well written and moved along at a good clip. I am now reading it with my 1st grader who is enjoying it very much.
Jenniefamilee
Listened to this book several years ago with the kids, before the rest of the trilogy was completed. Now going through the trilogy, back to back. We all love this world of unique characters and strange time manipulations. Strongly recommend!
Neil

Thought this was a book by Eoin Colfer so I was surprised that I read the book. Enjoyed it though but not as inventive and funny as Eoin Colfer. Nice story but series is definitely for kids not adults.
  • Voices in the Dark (The Last Descendants, #2)
  • Samurai (Simon St George #2)
  • The Dragon in the Driveway (Dragon Keepers, #2)
  • To the Blight (Wheel of Time, #1-2)
  • The Basilisk’s Lair (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #2)
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
  • When the Snow Fell
  • Cross Your Heart, Connie Pickles
  • The Sea Fairies
  • Milrose Munce and the Den of Professional Help
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
  • The Sea of Adventure (Adventure, #4)
  • Catwalk (On the Runway, #2)
  • Into the Wildewood (Faire Folk, #2)
  • A Kidnapped Santa Claus
  • Alis
McNamee was born in County Down, North Ireland. He was awarded a Macaulay Fellowship for Irish Literature in 1990, after his 1989 novella The Last of Deeds (Raven Arts Press, Dublin), was shortlisted for the 1989 Irish Times/Aer Lingus Award for Irish Literature. The author currently lives in Ireland with his wife and two children, Owen and Kathleen.

He also writes as John Creed.
More about Eoin McNamee...
City of Time (The Navigator Trilogy, #2) The Ring of Five (The Ring of Five Trilogy, #1) The Frost Child (The Navigator Trilogy, #3) Resurrection Man The Unknown Spy