Start by marking “Jesus, Continued…: Why the Spirit Inside You is Better than Jesus Beside You” as Want to Read:
Jesus, Continued…: Why the Spirit Inside You is Better than Jesus Beside You

Jesus, Continued…: Why the Spirit Inside You is Better than Jesus Beside You

Why does God often feel more like a doctrine we know about than a Person we know? Why do so many of us think of Christianity as a lifestyle to which we conform, rather than a God with whom we commune?

Jesus gave his disciples the audacious promise that it was to their advantage he go back to heaven because the Holy Spirit could then come to live inside of them. How many of
Published November 4th 2014 by Zondervan

To ask other readers questions about Jesus, Continued…, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jesus, Continued…

Nathan Schneider
Mar 09, 2015 Nathan Schneider rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holy-spirit
A very accessible read, Jesus Continued makes sense of the presence of the Holy Spirit in believers. Greear begins by highlighting the problems of underemphasizing and overemphasizing (over Jesus) the work of the Spirit. Then, he looks at the design of God for Spirit-controlled followers of Jesus. All of this is grounded in the gospel. Throughout the book, Greear walks through both Scripture and church history to point out the reality of the Spirit's working for the glory of God and the spread ...more
Nick
May 15, 2015 Nick rated it it was amazing
A biblical, personal, practical look at the how and the why of the Holy Spirit's work in the lives of individuals and the Church. It is well written and sound. Greear has struck a healthy balance here that rings true to me. I want to buy several copies of this and pass them out!
Lawson Hembree
Dec 10, 2014 Lawson Hembree rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
Have you ever wondered why Jesus said it would be better for His followers if He left and sent the Holy Spirit (John 16:7)? When I first read that verse, I was taken aback.

Like Thomas in John 20, many of us would much rather have a physical human being that we can touch and see than an unseen Spirit that, like the wind, "blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes" (John 3:8). Often as Christians, we feel disconnected from God. We look
Ho Christopher
Nov 14, 2014 Ho Christopher rated it really liked it
Christians have often either overemphasize or deemphasize on the Holy Spirit. Those in the reformed camp generally deemphasize it (yes, I know that Calvin was a theologian of the Holy Spirit) , while those who are on the more charismatic or pentecostal camp generally overemphasize it. It is rare to see someone teach this topic with a delicate balance. Furthermore, most who talk about it generally focus on the spiritual gifts that the Spirit gives (Sinclair Ferguson is a good exception to this). ...more
Amy
Nov 16, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: christianity
The Holy Spirit is the one part of the Trinity that I understand the least about, but after reading this book I have a better understanding of who he is and how to experience his guidance and empowerment. J.D. has written a very accessible book and reading it is like hearing him preaching a sermon in my head. It is very conversational and easy to read.
Michele Morin
Jan 26, 2015 Michele Morin rated it it was amazing
As soon as he started talking about guidance, J.D. had my ear. You see, I am THAT Christian — the one who becomes paralyzed whenever there’s a big decision on the table, and even though I know that God is not interested in mindless robots (and truly, I’m not interested in becoming one), I still perseverate about making the RIGHT decision, and I want God to tell me what that is. Basically, I want sky-writing: “Buy the Ford!” in big puffy letters against a blue heaven. At the other end of the ...more
Jkanz
Nov 16, 2014 Jkanz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
In Jesus Continued: Why the Spirit Inside You is Better Than Jesus Beside You (2014), JD Greear tackles an important issue: the neglect of the Holy Spirit in the modern, presumably American, church. Although we are often sincere, we weary because we rely not upon the promised Spirit, but upon our own efforts.

Early in the book, Greear draws out an important distinction between the two extremes (p. 22) that Christians tend to gravitate towards. On the one hand, there are Christians who seem to reg
Amanda Geaney
Nov 17, 2014 Amanda Geaney rated it it was amazing
If you could meet anyone in history, who would it be and why? Have you ever been asked that question? I have and of course I answered Jesus! I confess to being a Martha (see Luke 10:38-42) at times, but I’d like to think that if Jesus was in my living room, I would “make the right choice” and sit at His feet. This overwhelming desire to bask in His presence has been further amplified by my recent time spent reading Exodus and Numbers. What could be better than sitting at the feet of Jesus or ...more
Jeanie
Oct 30, 2014 Jeanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
In J.D. Greear conversational study on the Holy Spirit, you learn and appreciate that the Holy Spirit is better alongside you than Jesus beside you. If you read Frances Chan the Forgotten God, the part of the trinity that is neglected which was a great, however, I find this study of Greear’s more in-depth in application for the believer. The Holy Spirit is how God is present with his people, to do his work (the work of revealing the Gospel and pointing to Jesus), and to know him. In saying that, ...more
Janelle Zeeb
May 15, 2016 Janelle Zeeb rated it it was amazing
I'm always cautious about reading books on the Holy Spirit or spirituality because it's so easy to become subjective, but I was intrigued by this book's title. I was pleasantly surprised by J.D. Greear's levelheaded and Biblical approach to the Holy Spirit in this book. His writing is clear, straightforward, and he shares some of his personal and pastoral stories to help illustrate his points.

I was at first doubtful that the Holy Spirit in us is really better than having Jesus beside us. It woul
Brandon Wilkins
Jul 22, 2015 Brandon Wilkins rated it really liked it
Good treatment of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. The book divides up into three sections 1) missing the Spirit 2) experiencing the Holy Spirit 3) Seeking the Holy Spirit. He writes to a younger audience.

I finished the book and thought two things, first I need the Holy Spirit even more than I ever imagined, and secondly I haven't prayed nearly enough for the Spirit to work through me.

Greear's conclusions about the ministry of the Spirit are generally Reformed. He quotes many Reformed luminari
Dottie Parish
This is an excellent book about the Holy Spirit. The book is divided into three sections: The Missing Spirit, Experiencing the Holy Spirit and Seeking the Holy Spirit.

Throughout the book Greear weaves Bible stories or references and the words of well known scholars as well as sharing his own experiences and stories. For example, A touching story to illustrate God’s adoption of us (pg 85) brings this concept to life.

Are there times when you can’t feel God’s presence? Greear says “If you are a b
Jessi
Feb 09, 2016 Jessi rated it it was amazing
This book has profoundly affected my thinking about how the Holy Spirit works. Many churches try to minimize His position as part of the Godhead, but Jesus said that believers receiving the Holy Spirit at salvation was BETTER than Jesus remaining on the earth. J.D. Greear consistently emphasizes the fact that the Spirit empowers Christians to do the work God has called them to do, ALWAYS casting a floodlight upon Jesus and the gospel. This book is more charismatic than some would appreciate and ...more
Becca
Aug 02, 2016 Becca rated it it was amazing
Jesus, Continued is a book that so many in the church need to read. I believe that a lot of Christians (myself included) "know" a lot of the answers, but have no idea about how to really walk in the Spirit.
J.D. Greear tackles questions and hesitations that believers may have when they hear something about the Holy Spirit. His writing style is informal and packed with a lot of stories, but it is also completely based on Scripture. I would recommend this book to anyone wanting a deeper walk with
Joseph Siler
Nov 27, 2015 Joseph Siler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Holy Spirit

I feel like God's timing for me was perfect in JD's release of this book. This book has helped to point me back to God and understand more deeply the importance of striving to better understand God's will for us through Scripture. As JD stated, majority of God's will in communicating to us through the Holy Spirit is already in Scripture and any other communication by Him can be drawn back to it. If you want to know God's will then get saturated in His Word and this book helps guid
Bauer Evans
Jul 01, 2015 Bauer Evans rated it it was amazing
JD is a enjoyable author, preacher, speakers; he writes as persuasively as he speaks; his discussion on the person of the Holy Spirit in the life of the disciples, the early church, and us today is crucial. The example, of the church he pastors, Summit Church, in mission, is tied makes this book important reading to anyone wanting to see the nations reached, the church revived, and the people of God growing, multiplying, and serving.
Darren
Sep 17, 2015 Darren rated it it was amazing
This book has been very helpful to me. An easy-to-read book (conversational tone) about a topic that is not-so-easy to grasp. Unfortunately, I seem to be one of those types of people that views the Holy Spirit as more of a theological idea than a Person who wants to intimately walk with me and teach me and guide me in all steps of life. I think it is starting to sink in the eternal value of understanding this relationship with the Spirit.
Corey
Sep 16, 2015 Corey rated it really liked it
Good overview on the Holy Spirit. Very pastoral. Lots of good illustrations and quotes. Not so much a theology of the Holy Spirit as it is a guidebook on being empowered by the Spirit to fulfill the church's mission.
Debbie
Jun 05, 2015 Debbie rated it it was amazing
This in-depth, readable, Biblical analysis of the Holy Spirit's role in the life of a Christian is full of practical advice and historical as well as current examples of everything Greear talks about. It is a challenging read as he gets very personal.
Joshua Foote
Nov 03, 2015 Joshua Foote rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good

Book on the holy spirit is different from a reformed standpoint usually these books are written by charismatic preachers. I think what I liked most was quotes from all the old Calvinists on the holy spirit.
Jim
Jan 01, 2016 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent and necessary

That the Holy Spirit is real is something we constantly need reminding. That He is pursued and followed by a life of prayer explains why He seems so absent in our churches
Phil Barnes
Feb 24, 2015 Phil Barnes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Role of the Holy Spirit

Greear has written a very accessible and challenging book on the role of the Holy Spirit. His style is engaging and enjoyable. His content is balanced and sound.
Corrina
Aug 10, 2015 Corrina rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book - encouraging, insightful, convicting. Would definitely recommend this to anyone looking to deepen their walk with the Lord.
Wes F
Dec 23, 2015 Wes F rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book on the Holy Spirit and what it means to "walk in the Spirit." Very balanced and insightful.
Jonathan Anderson
Nov 22, 2014 Jonathan Anderson rated it liked it
Lacking. Not nuanced. Neglects the church to focus almost solely on the individual. Weak in biblical history and exegesis.
Jessica Weleski
Easily accessible reading and provided some interesting thoughts about the role of the Holy Spirit.
Nancy Boyd
Jan 25, 2015 Nancy Boyd rated it liked it
Shelves: spiritual-growth
Though I disagree with a couple of Greear's points doctrinally, this book is richly thought-provoking and honors Scripture well. I'm richer for reading it.
Brian Jennings
Brian Jennings rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Creekdawg
Creekdawg rated it really liked it
May 04, 2015
Kasey Ewing
Kasey Ewing rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2015
  • The Gospel: How the Church Portrays the Beauty of Christ
  • Can I Know God's Will? (Crucial Questions, #4)
  • Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Christian Belief
  • Who Am I? Identity in Christ
  • Ordinary: Sustainable Faith in a Radical, Restless World
  • Strange Fire: The Danger of Offending the Holy Spirit with Counterfeit Worship
  • Everyday Church: Gospel Communities on Mission
  • Blood Work: How the Blood of Christ Accomplishes Our Salvation
  • The Storytelling God: Seeing the Glory of Jesus in His Parables
  • Recovering Redemption: A Gospel Saturated Perspective on How to Change
  • Jesus the Evangelist: Learning to Share the Gospel from the Book of John
  • Father, Son, & Holy Spirit: Relationships, Roles, & Relevance
  • God in the Whirlwind: How the Holy-Love of God Reorients Our World
  • A Reformed Approach to Science and Scripture
  • Is God anti-gay?: And other questions about homosexuality, the Bible and same-sex attraction
  • For the Fame of God's Name: Essays in Honor of John Piper
  • Letters to a Young Pastor
  • The Holy Spirit (The Gospel Coalition Booklets)
J.D. Greear, Ph.D., did his degree work in Christian and Islamic theology at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary in Wake Forest, NC. He is Lead Pastor of The Summit Church in Raleigh-Durham, NC. The Summit’s vision is to plant 1,000 churches in by the year 2040. Currently, they have planted 11 and have several church planting teams stationed around the world.
More about J.D. Greear...

“God doesn’t need you! Never has. Never will. For anything. Ever.” 1 likes
“Fullness of the Spirit and depth in the gospel are inseparable, and one always leads you to the other.” 1 likes