Start by marking “Making and Breaking the Grid: A Graphic Design Layout Workshop” as Want to Read:
Making and Breaking the Grid: A Graphic Design Layout Workshop

Making and Breaking the Grid: A Graphic Design Layout Workshop

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,115 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
For designers working in every medium, layout is arguable the most basic, and most important, element. Effective layout is essential to communication and enables the end user to not only be drawn in with an innovative design but to digest information easily.Making and Breaking the Grid is a comprehensive layout design workshop that assumes that in order to effectively brea ...more
Published May 1st 2005 by Rockport Publishers (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Making and Breaking the Grid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making and Breaking the Grid

michaelben
Mar 20, 2011 michaelben rated it liked it
I am not a designer. But I sometimes have to play one at work. So I picked up this book for quick insight into the world of design/layout, and I am glad I did. The first part provides a very quick overview of the history of the grid, which was interesting on its own. This did help in later sections in the discussion of specific layout and design examples. The last section covered working outside of the grid concept under the premise you have to understand the rules before you flout them. I would ...more
Serith
Sep 07, 2013 Serith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, art
When I first signed up for Graphic Design in college, I did not really know much about typography, nor did really I get it when teachers tried to explain. This book changed all of that because it opened my mind when I had been limiting myself to regular boring layouts – and I think that is why it hadn’t interested me. This proves how you can follow rules and think outside the box. And it’s all eye candy: it puts the logic in action and visually proves itself. Beautiful and inspiring book.

I wish
Roger
Dec 04, 2007 Roger rated it it was ok
This book has an extensive gallery of projects for comparison's sake, but very limited instruction and some history which goes by too fast and too much like a parade of facts to possibly sink in. The commentary on the projects never offers any additional insight that could be gained by interviews with the designer or anything further than what's visible to the attentive reader. Good to flip through, but I was looking for more of a manual on good grid practices.
Kieran
Oct 15, 2013 Kieran rated it did not like it
outdated and useless full of bad designs. maybe useful if you are a very early beginner otherwise its poop. Dont believe the hype
J. Pedro Ribeiro
Aug 31, 2011 J. Pedro Ribeiro rated it really liked it
Making and Breaking the Grid, by Timothy Samara, is an analysis of the construction and deconstruction of grid-based designs. Featuring a comprehensive showcase of works in different media and across several decades.

The Book

The book is basically divided into 2 parts. The first one about the creation of the grid-based designs and its usage. The second one explains the deconstruction of the grid, a different approach on design in which the grid doesn’t have to obey any rules.
In the first few pages
David Skorepa
Feb 11, 2014 David Skorepa rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Must read for junior designers especially.
En
Jan 02, 2013 En rated it liked it
There's certainly plenty of take-homes from this book, but not many of the case studies have aged well (especially the websites). And yes, the graphic-designer speak gets somewhat irritating. "Continuity is created through rhythmic, spatial interconnection between pages." "Repeating the poster format on top of itself, eventually bleeding outward beyond the poster's real format, elevates the communication to a sophisticated level where the image becomes signifier and signified, a poster that show ...more
Guilherme Gontijo
Sep 10, 2015 Guilherme Gontijo rated it it was amazing
ótimo!
Leonard Houx
Jul 11, 2013 Leonard Houx rated it it was ok
Not as great as I was expecting. It seemed as if Samara was only explaining grids and modern design as a foil to introduce postmodern design, most of which I couldn't get into. So much postmodern graphic design from the 80s and 90s just looks tacky now. There was some interesting historical information (like that Emil Ruder was one of the first designers to break the grid), but I was disappointed to learn very little about how to actually use (or not use) grids.
Nikki
Mar 20, 2008 Nikki rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended in an 'introduction to graphic design' class. Creating a design from scratch can be daunting when you have a blank screen or sheet of paper, but it becomes much easier when you start to work from a grid. I love this book because it gives you so many options and ideas regardless of the media you are working with.
Mellie
Sep 29, 2012 Mellie rated it really liked it
This book was actually really interesting and easy to read, which is something that I don't often get to say about design books. They usually only tick one of those boxes. It's given me a lot to ponder, and as someone without formal design training it's cleared up how other designers get their work to look so good.
Tejas
Dec 23, 2011 Tejas rated it really liked it
Although all the examples are from the field of print design, this is a very good starting point to understand the grid and how it can be used in different ways. Breaking the grid, is not much implementable in the digital web world as of now, but it still gives a required direction to the learner.
Rita Christine
Dec 02, 2013 Rita Christine rated it really liked it
This was a college requirement that I've liked so much that I use now as a freelance designer. It's important information all graphic artists should be aware of. I've even asked my front-end web developer husband to read it and he found it helpful as well.
R.Friend
Aug 15, 2007 R.Friend rated it really liked it
Shelves: design, grid
Rockport has really set the bar for design books within the past few years, and this one is no exception. As always, great examples showcased and solid substance throughout. Organization of the book itself is quite impressive.
Lauren
Jan 05, 2009 Lauren rated it really liked it
Another great design book. Helps with layouts and the many parts of putting a design together successfully. I met the author of this book and did a workshop with him in West Virginia.
Tim Lindeman
Oct 10, 2014 Tim Lindeman rated it liked it
Shelves: design
The example section which made up 2/3 of the book was very good. Great to get some ideas on how to layout your own grids. The history sections were way too dense to read.
Kathy
Aug 24, 2010 Kathy rated it really liked it
I knew about grids from working at a newspaper, but I didn't really know how to make my own grids for my design projects. This was a great guide that helped get me started.
Tori Mueller
Mar 26, 2011 Tori Mueller rated it really liked it
I bought this book for class, but I keep it around because it is great to look at when I am working on a design project and need a little inspiration grid-wise.
Dan
Mar 07, 2012 Dan rated it it was amazing
Good explanation of the grid and how to work with it (or around it) and why it is important to maintain it weather you're Vignelli or Carson
Emily
Nov 05, 2012 Emily rated it it was amazing
Remarkable. Before reading this book, I never thought there was so much to say about grids. A fabulous source of inspiration for visual projects!
Katy Watkins
Great resource, full of beautiful examples and brief explanations of how grids are used. I just had a tough time forcing myself to read it.
Giegie
Aug 23, 2010 Giegie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design
membatu banget buat klo lagi mampet ide buat nge-layout, bisa liat2 trus di jdin refrensi abis itu kita modifikasi sendiri gridnya ^^v
Abbas Malek Hosseini
Sep 29, 2012 Abbas Malek Hosseini rated it it was amazing
هرکسی از دوستان تمایل داره مدل های مختلف چیدمان در طرف های گرافیکی رو یاد بگیره حتما این کتاب گرید بندی رو بخونه.
Sebastián Romero
Apr 26, 2013 Sebastián Romero rated it it was amazing
Muchos ejemplos más que útiles para entender cómo crear, usar y "destruir" sistemas de grillas.
Felicity
Nov 21, 2009 Felicity rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: graphic designers
A more advanced look at different types of grids with beautiful examples.
Vuk Trifkovic
Dec 23, 2011 Vuk Trifkovic rated it it was ok
useful background and a collection of patterns but lacking in genuine insight.
Michelle
Jan 24, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Helps with everything involving a grid, especially helpful with editorial work.
Pedro Albuquerque
Mar 18, 2011 Pedro Albuquerque rated it really liked it
Um bom guia com boas referências de melhores práticas em diagramação.
Nicole
Jul 22, 2008 Nicole rated it really liked it
A good design reference.
Amanna
Sep 14, 2009 Amanna added it
nknm,m,m,m,m
  • Layout Workbook: A Real-World Guide to Building Pages in Graphic Design
  • Grid Systems in Graphic Design/Raster Systeme Fur Die Visuele Gestaltung (German and English Edition)
  • Grid Systems: Principles of Organizing Type
  • Stop Stealing Sheep & Find Out How Type Works
  • 79 Short Essays on Design
  • Designing Brand Identity: An Essential Guide for the Entire Branding Team
  • The Complete Manual of Typography
  • Graphic Design: A Concise History (World of Art)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »