Start by marking “Murder in Retrospect” as Want to Read:
Murder in Retrospect

Murder in Retrospect (Hercule Poirot #24)

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  21,161 Ratings  ·  983 Reviews
Amyas Crale was a celebrated painter . . . and an even more celebrated lover. His wife Caroline was as jealous as she was devoted. So naturally, she was convicted of Amyas' murder. Now, 16 years later, their daughter presents Poirot with a challenge: find the fatal flaw in the case that will clear her mother's name. Also published as Murder in Retrospect.
Published February 1st 1984 by Berkley (first published May 1942)

To ask other readers questions about Murder in Retrospect, please sign up.

Anny Tristemente, no tengo novelas de Christie en español. Yo no entiendo español :-(

sweet jane
Feb 06, 2016 sweet jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Μια νεαρή όμορφη κοπέλα επισκέπτεται τον Πουαρό και του ζητάει να αναλάβει μια υπόθεση που έχει τελεστεί πριν δεκαέξι χρόνια. Ο πατέρας της δολοφονήθηκε και για το έγκλημα αυτό κρίθηκε ενοχή η μητέρα της, η οποία όμως υποστήριζε το αντίθετο στο γράμμα που της άφησε πριν πεθάνει. Χωρίς να εξετάσει αποτσίγαρα και δακτυλικά αποτυπώματα, ο Ηρακλής Πουαρό αναλαμβάνει την υπόθεση και κάνει ένα ταξίδι στο χρόνο κουβεντιάζοντας με τους πέντε ανθρώπους που πέρασε τις τελευταίες του μέρες ο δολοφονημένος. ...more
Em
Mar 16, 2016 Em rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best Poirot mysteries ever. Listening to this BBC adaptation was sheer joy, and I never knew how my jogging time flew past with Poirot and co. for company. Carla hires Poirot as she believes her mother, who was imprisoned for her father's death by poisoning, and who subsequently died in prison, is innocent, and wants him to prove so. Pour it agrees, provided that he will not tamper with the truth, if the truth is that Caroline, the mother is the actual murderer.
Here enter the five lit
Laurel Young
Mar 14, 2011 Laurel Young rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cata
Aug 29, 2015 Cata rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Cathy DuPont
My first Agatha Christie and for some reason it was what I expected. Not a thrilling ride, not a boring ride, just a nice, pleasant ride of a read. (Ride both literally and figuratively since it was an audio I listened to in the car.)

The mystery was 15 years old, about a rash 20 year old who falls in love with an old married coot of 40 years old. He is poisoned, dies and his wife is charged and convicted of his murder. She dies in prison a year later.

She left her daughter (who was five years ol
Hajarath Prasad Abburu
The ending is just exhilarating and was as smashing as Iron Man soaring into a Malibu Point Sky.

Mr. Poirot, my heart is still with Sherlock but you are as brilliant as Him!! What a reasoning! I bow to thee
Mizuki
This book is not Agatha Christie, a.k.a our honorable, well adored Queen of Murder, at her best. However, Fiver Little Pigs is still a decent murder mystery and I highly appreciate Ms. Christie's sharp observation and how she shaped her characters.
Meli
Mar 09, 2016 Meli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muy buen caso. Parecía predecible, pero logró engañarme.

Me encanta eso.
Kavita
May 10, 2015 Kavita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
An unique book by Agatha Christie, Poirot solves a cold case. The daughter of a convicted murdereress, Carla Lemarchant approaches him to find the truth behind the murder of her father. Poirot takes it only because of his passion for the truth, but it is not an easy journey. He interviews everyone connected with the case - police officers and lawyers, as well as the people present at the Crale's house party at the time of his death. As always, it is the small things that are often overlooked by ...more
Carol
Jan 10, 2014 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After a few stressful weeks, I needed another light mystery to smoke through! Reading an Agatha Christie is like eating a small butter/pecan tart or small ice-cream cone. You enjoy the rich flavour and you swallow the entire thing quickly in one bite.

In “Five Little Pigs,” Christie does a great job at providing contrasting characters. It’s a retrospective crime mystery ( with 16 year-old clues), and the true identity of the killer can only be discovered through interviews and journals. This pro
Chris
May 23, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hate the Yankees. I think that it is required if you are a true baseball fan and you live in a baseball town outside the State of New York that you hate the Yankees. You don't even have to be living in Boston. It is pretty much universal. There are exceptions made for transplants, relatives of players, casual fans, etc., but basically it holds true.

But I have to admit that I like Mariano Rivera.

You have to like him because he is the best ever at what he does and he doesn't make a big fuss abo
Ana M.
Sep 25, 2016 Ana M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Hacía mucho tiempo que no leía nada de Agatha y, siendo fan como soy de este género, era algo imperdonable. Compré este libro en un puesto de la playa porque los que me acompañaron en mi viaje no eran adecuados y, aunque estos días no he tenido casi ganas de leer, lo acabo de devorar sin poder parar de leer de lo enganchada que me tenía.

Agatha Christie es la reina del crimen y, después de tantos años, nadie ha sido capaz de desbancarla de su trono.

Me encantó la forma en la que está escrito este
F.R.
Feb 12, 2016 F.R. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The reason ‘Five Little Pigs’ is one of the least well known Agatha Christie novels is that it’s such thin and uninspiring stuff. Hercule Poirot is asked to investigate a mariticide of sixteen years earlier by the couple’s now grown up daughter, the wife having escaped the hangman and died in prison. Those who’ve read their Ross MacDonald will know that this is the kind of thing that can excite the characters’ guilt and passions, and suddenly the danger which existed at the time of the original ...more
maricar
A bit sad to read through. It’s as if the luster from Poirot’s ‘glamour’ as a detective has lost its strength.

The premise is a promising one, don’t get me wrong: can one resolve a murder that has been resolutely concluded 16 years ago and, for all intents and purposes, left (almost) everyone with no doubt as to the identity of the killer? Poirot hardly thought twice and set off to show the readers just that.

Murder in retrospect, indeed.

In a way, Christie does prove that all one need is the fun
Cindy
Feb 12, 2008 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Shelves: mysteries
In this story, Poirot gets a chance to do something he's never done before - to solve a mystery without a single clue, simply by talking to the people who were involved.

Sixteen years ago, artist Amyas Crale was poisoned. His wife was arrested and convicted of murder. She wrote a letter to her young daughter saying she was innocent. Now the girl is grown and engaged to be married. But first she wants to know what really happened.

Poirot has little work with. He starts by talking to the lawyers on
Lexie
Aug 26, 2016 Lexie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2016
The next time I read Agatha Christie, I might require a Mariachi band or a distraction of a similarly buoyant variety. Because as it turns out, sitting down in dead silence and focusing too hard results in some very unpleasant results...

... like guessing about 90% of the ending.

Any other book, this would be a "Go, me!" sort of self high-five. With Agatha Christie, however, I'd rather be stupefied, stunned, floored, be made to question my deductive skills and my common sense, and generally made t
هدى ناصر
Mar 05, 2016 هدى ناصر rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ان الله يمهل ولا يهمل .. وعدالة السماء ستطال المجرمين مهما طال الزمن
قرأت غالبية روايات اجاثا كرستي في الصف السابع اعدادي
وقررت اليوم ان استعيد ايامي الجميلة مع اجاثا واقرأها من جديد
وتفاجأت بان هذه الرواية افلتت من قراءاتي النهمة
Abeer Saleh
لمن يهتم فأنا لا أهتم كثيرًا بالروايات البوليسية, ومايتعلق بالجرائم وما إلى ذلك , لكن تجاربي القليلة مع أجاثا تجعلني أتقرب من شيء لا يستحوذ اهتمامي الكامل, ومع ذلك أجدني لا أتردد في القراءة لها إن صادفت أحد كتبها,وهذا ما حصل.

لا داعي لذكر التشويق والجاذبية الكبيرة في روايات أجاثا, أذكر أني توقفت بعد الصفحة المئتين بقليل لأقوم بعمل ما, وكل ما كنت أفكر فيه - أثناء أداء عملي - هو التفكير فيمن قد يكون القاتل؟ وتخيل الأحداث بعد مرور 16 عام في معمل ميرديث بليك, وهل توقعاتي ستكون صحيحة في النهاية ؟
وللم
Sara
Mar 06, 2016 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Iniya
Jul 12, 2016 Iniya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-reads
Perfect read to start the year.. :-) :-)
Susan
Jun 11, 2014 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 24th novel featuring Hercule Poirot; preceded by the classic “Evil Under the Sun,” followed by the magnificent “The Hollow” and published in 1942. Even a mere mention of the Poirot titles written around that time show us that Christie – always my favourite author of all time – was on a real roll. Five Little Pigs is not one of her best known Poirot mysteries, which is a shame, as this is a wonderful read.

Carla Lemarchant was only five when her mother, Caroline Crale, was found guilty
Robin
Jan 16, 2012 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, re-read
3.5 Stars. Not one of my favorite Christie mysteries starring Hercule Poirot, but still really good.

(Note: I gather that some editions were published with the title "Five Little Pigs", but my copy is "Murder in Retrospect", which I think more accurately describes the story.)

Poirot is intrigued to investigate a murder which occurred 16 years previously. Carla Lamarchant knows her mother did not kill her father, though she was tried and convicted of the crime. So who did? Poirot convinces the othe
Kasia
I'm an avid reader of Christie but I haven't heard of this book until I ran across the title in a few favorable reviews, Five Little Pigs ( primarily published under Dodd in the 40's under the name of " Murder in Retrospect") came up a lot so I had to try it and listened to the reviewers and they were right... This is was fun and engaging and piqued my interest throughout the whole sleuthing process, once I was done with it I had to read one more to keep me on that Christie high~ ha-ha...(my sec ...more
Rick Toews
Not bad. Ending was mildly gratifying. No clever or amusing turns of phrase to tickle the mind; still, because I wanted to get to the end and see how the mystery was resolved, I resented having to put the book down.

The Poirot character is portrayed as taking a psychological approach in his investigations. This appeals to me. I believe that, in general, people behave consistently with their characters and that if a thing is observed to be very much out of character, one is justified in looking fo
Scott
Feb 12, 2014 Scott rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, cozy
I'm a huge Agatha Christie fan so it kills me to give her a 2 star rating but this book just did not do it for me. I'm a big fan of author's trying different things but the way this book was written just bored me to death.

A 16 year old murder. Enter Poirot to determine if the person that was convicted was actually the person who did it.
He talks to 5 different people separately.
Then he has them write up their accounts and we read about the accounts separately.
Then he comes to his conclusions.

No c
عبدالله العمادي
الرواية بعنوانها الأصلي "خمسة خنازير حقيرة - Five little Pigs"
ولا أعلم لماذا اختارت الكاتبة العبقرية هذا العنوان بالذات، إلا أن النسخ العربية غيرت العنوان لعدالة السماء أو عدالة القدر.

المهم أن الرواية تتحدث عن جريمة بالطبع، القاتل واضح جدًا، ثم بعد العودة لأحداث الجريمة قبل عاماً تتبين أشياء كثيرة قد تغيّر الحقائق.

أذهلتني الحقائق مع أني في القراءة بدأت أشك بشخص تلو الآخر، وحتى أنه في النهاية كاد يقع شكي في محله إلا أن الحقيقة كانت مغايرة.

هذه الرواية تحمل معاني إنسانية عميقة جدًا، وفيها بُعد نف
Mary Grand
I have read this before so no surprises but still loved it. Life has been hectic and I got completly lost in this and the world created.
Malin - Nilmas Bokhylla
Review in swedish at Nilmas Bokhylla
Allie
May 23, 2016 Allie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Felt awfully clever for figuring this one out, but -sigh- since I'd read it before, I guess that's a testament to my memory and not my detective skills.
Adrian
Aug 03, 2015 Adrian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ohhh
a very beautiful recreation of a murder which occurred 16 years back!!
  • Clouds of Witness (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #2)
  • Overture to Death (Roderick Alleyn, #8)
  • The Final Deduction (Nero Wolfe, #35)
  • The Franchise Affair (Inspector Alan Grant, #3)
  • They Found Him Dead (Inspector Hannasyde, #3)
  • A Mind to Murder (Adam Dalgliesh, #2)
  • Poirot and Me
  • Pearls Before Swine (Albert Campion Mystery #12)
  • Holy Disorders (Gervase Fen, #2)

More about Agatha Christie...

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)

“Poirot said placidly, “One does not, you know, employ merely the muscles. I do not need to bend and measure the footprints and pick up the cigarette ends and examine the bent blades of grass. It is enough for me to sit back in my chair and think. It is this – ” he tapped his egg-shaped head – “this, that functions!” 25 likes
“Maybe it is because I am an old man, but I find, M. Poirot, that there is something about the defenselessness of youth that moves me to tears. Youth is so vulnerable. It is so ruthless - so sure. So generous and so demanding.” 7 likes