Start by marking “Make Your Own Damn Movie!: Secrets of a Renegade Director” as Want to Read:
Make Your Own Damn Movie!: Secrets of a Renegade Director

Make Your Own Damn Movie!: Secrets of a Renegade Director (...Your Own Damn Movie!)

Lloyd Kaufman, the writer/producer/director of such cult-classic films as The Toxic Avenger, Class of Nuke 'Em High, and Tromeo and Juliet, offers a guide to movie-making unlike any other available anywhere. In 25 years, Kaufman, along with partner Michael Herz, has built Troma Studios up from a company struggling to find its voice in a field crowded with competitors to it ...more
Published April 5th 2003 by L.A. Weekly Books

To ask other readers questions about Make Your Own Damn Movie!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Make Your Own Damn Movie!

Jul 19, 2016 Daniel rated it really liked it
As a young filmmaker in the process of his debut, I found this book incredibly inspirational. You do not necessarily have to be a Tromaphile (however it helps to be entertained by Troma Entertainment to find Lloyd Kaufman intriguing), so the information written is fitting for anyone interested in filmmaking, or purely desiring a humorous informational book to read. Incredibly overwhelming the foreshadowed future of filmmaking is, Kaufman only makes things scarier but for his charming hilarity. T ...more
Jun 02, 2009 Duncan rated it it was amazing
This is a how to book that should be kept away from anyone who is less than completely serious about doing anything at all. It purports to be a joke, I think, but tells more--both of the nuts and bolts and of the philosophy of art and film--than a lot of the other film making books I've been reading. (Sadly, I've been reading a lot of them.) It is hilarious, which is the litmus test for me that determines whether or not I like any writing, it seems, and informative, accurate and also true. His c ...more
Joe Heath
May 05, 2016 Joe Heath rated it really liked it
Read this again for various reasons. It's a good read if a bit crass at times. And definitely a bit dated considering how far digital filmmaking has come since this book came out. Still... It makes me want to make a damn movie.
Dec 06, 2012 Roland rated it really liked it
Shelves: film
After being disappointed with his previous book (All I Need to Know About Film Making...) I picked this one up with lowered expectations. It's fantastic. Even though it's loaded with typical dick jokes and juvenile humor, it contains a ton of practical advice on how to make a film. In fact, regardless of how hellish he makes the process sound, you come away from reading this book thinking that making a film isn't such an insurmountable task after all. I can't wait to pick up his follow-up books ...more
May 20, 2011 August rated it really liked it
Kaufman is such a character. I'd like to meet him someday, though not work for him; his style and mine just don't jive. He did, though, have a lot of useful things to say to someone who wants to start her own movie project soon, and it's stuff I'll keep in mind for the rest of my career -- as a writer and as whatever else I end up being. I didn't enjoy all of the asides, though the extremely casual language was fun to read, so it only gets 4 stars.
Jared Tipton
May 10, 2016 Jared Tipton rated it really liked it
While somewhat dated in discussions on film vs. DV, the majority of discussions here are highly relevant to anyone thinking of diving into directing/producing an independent film. Oh - and the book is absolutely hilarious cover to cover. Easy to read and loaded with gut-busting anecdotes.
I am going to give this book NO STARS AT ALL because it was horrible, deplorable, and an unprofessional way of depicting making a film. If you want an example of what not to do, sure go ahead, read this book, but be prepared to be grossed out and generally disgusted by what you'll find. As soon as I can find a way to delete this off my kindle, I WILL. I'm insulted by this entire book.
Aug 02, 2007 Amanda rated it really liked it
Not nearly as entertaining as All I Need to know about filmmaking, but a great read just the same. There are some tips about how to go about making your own movie, but for the most part just another life account of Troma Studios. I gain more and more respect for Kaufman the more I learn about him, he is truly an independent genius.
Oct 10, 2011 Natalie rated it really liked it
Lloyd Kaufman is quite the character, and this book is quite bizarre. But I actually found it to contain very helpful morsels of information about filmmaking. The morsels are spread out across the book, but the reading in between them is very entertaining. I found the last few chapters to be the most helpful.
Elizabeth .
Jul 29, 2008 Elizabeth . rated it it was amazing
I've always liked the Troma team, and as bad as some of their movies are, I've always enjoyed and supported them as a company. Lloyd Kaufman has been doing this shit for 30+ years and while he might not have it all figured out, he's sure entertaining and inspiring. Awesome book. I can't wait for his next one.
Jan 09, 2012 Hunter rated it it was amazing
This isn't to be taken too seriously but still, read and learn. There are plenty of little tricks that can come in handy when making a film but this book is more for a satirical/comedy purposes. Still, this is the book I have laughed the hardest at. A good read but don't take it too seriously.
Feb 24, 2015 Dustin rated it really liked it
A great look at the practical site of film making by someone who has been doing practically everything related to film for over 40 years. It has solid advice, plenty of humor, and sidebars by the folks at Troma who have been working on films for years about every aspect of making a movie.
Jun 08, 2010 Meaghan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This book should have been required reading in film school. There was a shocking amount of stuff to be learned that I did not learn in school. Ah well. Between this book and my education, I am well equipped to take on the world. Thank you Mr. Kaufman!
bill york
Mar 01, 2007 bill york rated it really liked it
Shelves: moviemaking
whether you make movies or not, this book had me in stitches. My wife made me put it down at night because my attempts to suppress my outright laughter resulted in bed shaking that thwarted my attempts to not wake her.
Dec 09, 2008 Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: started-reading
I'm only as far as the introduction, and the foreward is hilarious (and I have -- had? -- no love for Trey Parker). Let's hope the book is as entertaining. I'm into all things film since August 19.
Jesus Nomellames
Feb 07, 2011 Jesus Nomellames rated it it was amazing
Please read this book. I will pay you money if you do.
You will not learn how to make movies. But you will be laughing so hard that you will get in the mood to make one.
Aug 09, 2007 Zayne rated it really liked it
An engaging and very practical guide to guerrilla filmmaking. Making a Troma flick is just as daunting a challenge as helming something like Gangs of New York or Fitzcarraldo.
Ike Khan
May 01, 2009 Ike Khan rated it it was amazing
This is a hilarious and very true book. It also has a funny inclusion from a close friend of mine. But I should count the author as friend and fellow film maker also!
Oct 26, 2008 Tommy rated it liked it
I give it 5 stars for the philosophy and tips contained within, but 2 stars for the writing. Choppy, with digressions that are neither entertaining nor informative....
Jul 27, 2010 Mandy rated it really liked it
I recommend this book to you even if you don't want to make your own damn movie. It isn't just educational -- it's damn entertaining!
Jun 08, 2008 Josh rated it liked it
This is the kind of book you just thumb through for ridiculous stories and far out crap. Makes me hanker for some tromeo!
Apr 01, 2009 Christopher rated it really liked it
Funny (and informative!) shit! Lloyd Kaufman will have you rolling page after page.
Tim Chizmar
Sep 02, 2012 Tim Chizmar rated it it was amazing
Mila added it
Oct 15, 2016
Deb marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2016
Ivy Blue
Ivy Blue marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2016
G added it
Oct 05, 2016
Michael marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Mike marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
  • Zombie Movies: The Ultimate Guide
  • Videohound's Cult Flicks and Trash Pics
  • Step Right Up!: I'm Gonna Scare The Pants Off America
  • Nightmare of Ecstasy: The Life and Art of Edward D. Wood
  • Shock Value: How a Few Eccentric Outsiders Gave Us Nightmares, Conquered Hollywood, and Invented Modern Horror
  • If It's Purple, Someone's Gonna Die: The Power of Color in Visual Storytelling
  • Visionary Film: The American Avant-Garde 1943-2000
  • Grindhouse: The Sleaze-Filled Saga of an Exploitation Double Feature
  • What They Don't Teach You at Film School: 161 Strategies For Making Your Own Movies No Matter What
  • Immoral Tales: European Sex and Horror Movies, 1956-1984
  • Midnight Movies
  • Nightmare USA: The Untold Story of the Exploitation Independents
  • Lord of Misrule
  • How I Made A Hundred Movies In Hollywood And Never Lost A Dime
Lloyd Kaufman is a popular American film director, producer, screenwriter and occasional actor. With producer Michael Herz, he is the co-founder of Troma Entertainment film studio, and the director of many of their feature films, including The Toxic Avenger and Tromeo and Juliet. Kaufman also serves as chairman of the Independent Film & Television Alliance.
More about Lloyd Kaufman...

...Your Own Damn Movie! (4 books)
  • Direct Your Own Damn Movie!
  • Produce Your Own Damn Movie!
  • Sell Your Own Damn Movie!