Start by marking “The Truth About Love: The Highs, the Lows, and How You Can Make It Last Forever” as Want to Read:
The Truth About Love: The Highs, the Lows, and How You Can Make It Last Forever

The Truth About Love: The Highs, the Lows, and How You Can Make It Last Forever

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  103 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Don't break up before the breakthrough!
Have you ever believed that you have fallen out of love, or said "I still love him but I'm not IN LOVE anymore?" In this groundbreaking guide to the physiology and psychology of lasting love, Dr. Pat Love reveals that love has normal, predictable stages that include highs and lows, and that many couples mistake the lows for the end
Published June 5th 2001 by Touchstone

Deborah Day
Jun 03, 2012 Deborah Day rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book that would be helpful to any couple. This is especially good to read when the initial "in love" feeling is fading. Dr. Love walks you through the different stages of love and helps you understand what is "normal" in relationships. She also gives you great ideas on how to improve your relationship and how to stay intuned to your partners needs. Wonderful book that can help couples normalize their experience and stay committed to their relationship. Great checklists too!
Jeri
Nov 06, 2010 Jeri rated it it was amazing
This book made many excellent, valid points about relationships and offered a lot of ideas about what a person could do to improve themselves as partners. No matter who you you are with or who you dump, you are always stuck with yourself. This book helps you recognize and work on your own flaws as a partner in a relationship so that you can indeed have "true love". I highly recommend this book for singles as well as the coupled. I think it offers a great wealth of wisdom.
Talia Gee
Feb 09, 2016 Talia Gee rated it it was amazing
This was really an amazing book. The author did a great job of focusing on issues that are common amongst couples. While the book seems to be written for married couples, I think it generally can be applied to anyone in a serious relationship. I am not married but found it helpful.

The author does a great job of avoiding geneder roles and stereotypes and really focusing on characteristics of people. She also does an amazing job focusing on identifying problems and working through how both people
Mari
Apr 13, 2011 Mari rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books about relationships. It provides the fundamentals to form a solid relationship based on psychology and science.
Enja Reyes
Very interesting
Rikki
Apr 06, 2011 Rikki rated it it was amazing
This book is the most practical guide to love that I have found. It helped me identify strengths and weaknesses in my relationship. For the first time in a long time I have started to see some solutions. I will recommend this book to anyone who is in a committed relationship, getting married or on the verge of breaking up. It could start you down the path you long for in your relationship.
Chris
Jul 17, 2011 Chris rated it it was amazing
I've read a few discover yourself and relationship books recently and this one struck the right chord. Written clearly (withouht fluff!) and very explanatory, certain parts slapped me in the face with things that I had quite plainly missed or not realised.
Eva
Mar 13, 2011 Eva rated it liked it
I thought this was going to describe the subjective experience of love over time, explore in its different varieties, and connect that to the biochemistry of the brain. Nope, more like some marriage counselor-type relationship advice.
Jenn
Aug 02, 2010 Jenn rated it really liked it
Kevan gave this to me when we first started dating. At first I was skeptical, but it had some good information. the most consistent theme is that you have to continue to get to know your partner because we all change and grow.
Aug 13, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: schoolbooks
The book is good and I could see it being helpful for couples. I recommend getting the DVD series. I had to watch it as well as read this book for a class and I enjoyed the classes much more.
Carrie
Jun 22, 2010 Carrie rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It was strongly recommended by my couple's counselor and I can see why. If you are in a relationship and want to improve it, I would recommend this book.
Linda
Mar 16, 2010 Linda rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! Good reading for anyone in or wanting to be in a relationship.
Stacey Krueger
May 13, 2009 Stacey Krueger rated it it was amazing
saving this one for my kids to read someday
Joann
Nov 22, 2008 Joann rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Recommended to me because it is based upon real research, (not Dr. Phil annoying, crap). I gained new perspectives that I only wished I had before. I loaned this out and may never see it again. It will be my new wedding gift book.
Nour ramy
Jan 16, 2011 Nour ramy marked it as to-read
hope to get it
Saffron
Saffron marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Julie Pixie
Julie Pixie marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Syaz
Syaz marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Tinjin Chang
Tinjin Chang rated it really liked it
May 12, 2016
Michael Davidson
Michael Davidson is currently reading it
May 09, 2016
Josh E
Josh E marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Stacie
Stacie rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Antonia Liana
Antonia Liana marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Seamy
Seamy marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Jennie
Jennie marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Debra Oehlberg
Debra Oehlberg marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Val
Val rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Brain in Love: 12 Lessons to Enhance Your Love Life
  • Carved in Sand: When Attention Fails and Memory Fades in Midlife
  • The Path of the Yoga Sutras: A Practical Guide to the Core of Yoga
  • The Death and Life of American Journalism: The Media Revolution that Will Begin the World Again
  • We Love Each Other, But . . .: Simple Secrets to Strengthen Your Relationship and Make Love Last
  • The New Rules of Marriage: What You Need to Know to Make Love Work
  • Overcoming Trauma through Yoga: Reclaiming Your Body
  • Living Successfully with Screwed-Up People
  • The Supreme Court: The Personalities and Rivalries That Defined America
  • Fighting for Your Marriage: Positive Steps for Preventing Divorce and Preserving a Lasting Love
  • Loving Each Other
  • The Gift of Our Compulsions: A Revolutionary Approach to Self-Acceptance and Healing
  • Be the Change: How Meditation Can Transform You and the World
  • The Good Marriage: How and Why Love Lasts
  • Poetry Like Bread: Poets of the Political Imagination from Curbstone Press
  • Living in Denial: Climate Change, Emotions, and Everyday Life
  • Boundaries and Relationships: Knowing, Protecting and Enjoying the Self
  • Coming Apart: Why Relationships End and How to Live Through the Ending of Yours