The Truth About Love: The Highs, the Lows, and How You Can Make It Last Forever

The Truth About Love: The Highs, the Lows, and How You Can Make It Last Forever

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Don't break up before the breakthrough!
Have you ever believed that you have fallen out of love, or said "I still love him but I'm not IN LOVE anymore?" In this groundbreaking guide to the physiology and psychology of lasting love, Dr. Pat Love reveals that love has normal, predictable stages that include highs and lows, and that many couples mistake the lows for the end...more
Published June 5th 2001 by Touchstone

Jeri
This book made many excellent, valid points about relationships and offered a lot of ideas about what a person could do to improve themselves as partners. No matter who you you are with or who you dump, you are always stuck with yourself. This book helps you recognize and work on your own flaws as a partner in a relationship so that you can indeed have "true love". I highly recommend this book for singles as well as the coupled. I think it offers a great wealth of wisdom.
Deborah Day
This is a wonderful book that would be helpful to any couple. This is especially good to read when the initial "in love" feeling is fading. Dr. Love walks you through the different stages of love and helps you understand what is "normal" in relationships. She also gives you great ideas on how to improve your relationship and how to stay intuned to your partners needs. Wonderful book that can help couples normalize their experience and stay committed to their relationship. Great checklists too!
Rikki
This book is the most practical guide to love that I have found. It helped me identify strengths and weaknesses in my relationship. For the first time in a long time I have started to see some solutions. I will recommend this book to anyone who is in a committed relationship, getting married or on the verge of breaking up. It could start you down the path you long for in your relationship.
Chris
I've read a few discover yourself and relationship books recently and this one struck the right chord. Written clearly (withouht fluff!) and very explanatory, certain parts slapped me in the face with things that I had quite plainly missed or not realised.
Eva
I thought this was going to describe the subjective experience of love over time, explore in its different varieties, and connect that to the biochemistry of the brain. Nope, more like some marriage counselor-type relationship advice.
Jenn
Kevan gave this to me when we first started dating. At first I was skeptical, but it had some good information. the most consistent theme is that you have to continue to get to know your partner because we all change and grow.
The book is good and I could see it being helpful for couples. I recommend getting the DVD series. I had to watch it as well as read this book for a class and I enjoyed the classes much more.
Carrie
I really liked this book. It was strongly recommended by my couple's counselor and I can see why. If you are in a relationship and want to improve it, I would recommend this book.
Mari
One of my favorite books about relationships. It provides the fundamentals to form a solid relationship based on psychology and science.
Linda
Excellent book! Good reading for anyone in or wanting to be in a relationship.
Stacey Krueger
saving this one for my kids to read someday
Joann
Recommended to me because it is based upon real research, (not Dr. Phil annoying, crap). I gained new perspectives that I only wished I had before. I loaned this out and may never see it again. It will be my new wedding gift book.
Nour ramy
Jan 16, 2011 Nour ramy marked it as to-read
hope to get it
Joelrose
Joelrose is currently reading it
Aug 27, 2014
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Mieke Sansen
Mieke Sansen marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Gilbert Whitmer
Gilbert Whitmer marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Kaylene Aliyah
Kaylene Aliyah marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Ekaterina
Ekaterina marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Jenny Parcon
Jenny Parcon marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Rachael Kaylo
Rachael Kaylo is currently reading it
May 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
How to Improve Your Marriage Without Talking About It: Finding Love Beyond Words The Emotional Incest Syndrome: What to do When a Parent's Love Rules Your Life Hot Monogamy: Essential Steps to More Passionate, Intimate Lovemaking Why Women Talk and Men Walk: How to Improve Your Relationship Without Discussing It How to Improve Your Marriage Without Talking About It