Start by marking “A Prize for Sister Catherine” as Want to Read:
A Prize for Sister Catherine

A Prize for Sister Catherine

2.93 of 5 stars 2.93  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Crisis looms at Albion Priory.The Prioress is old and in poor health, and she must name her successor.But her ineffective leadership has led to spiritual malaise and financial peril.Only sweeping reforms can save the convent from ruin.

Margaret and Catherine are the two likely candidates, but how different they aer, and how difficult it is to choose between them!Sister Marg
Published January 5th 1998 by Black Swan (first published March 1991)

To ask other readers questions about A Prize for Sister Catherine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Prize for Sister Catherine

Sonia Gomes
Mar 08, 2009 Sonia Gomes rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Persons who like books set in Convents and Abbeys
Recommended to Sonia by: British Library Kerala
Although “A Prize for Sister Catherine” does not seem a much read book or if read is soon forgotten I found the book very touching and one of the best books I have read. It could be because I do like books with a religious touch. I adored “In this House of Brede”.
There is a tussle for the Choice of a Prioress at the Albion Priory and the two candidates Margaret and Catherine are both so different yet are the most likely candidates.
Margaret is bold and to a great extent ruthless, wants to get Alb
Catherine
All in all this was an interesting take on conflict arising from narrow visions of the needs of a community, but I had to suspend my belief to accept the setting.

Saint Benedict would be spinning in his grave if he came across this community! Lax and complacent after years of weak leadership, it needs overhauling spiritually and financially and so the stage is set for a leadership contest in which the two needs are set in opposition to each other. Unfortunately only lip-service is paid to the for
Shui
Heard this on audio. Rowntree creates a hot pot of political intrigue and ruthlessness among nuns. The only problem is that I wish Sister Catherine had more gumption and taken on Sister Margaret more determindly but then if she had the same personality as Margaret, then there would be no novel!
Sue
Set in a nunnery, this book revolves around conflict between two nuns who are given joint adminstrative roles. A fast-paced plot with believable characters. Hard to be sympathetic, somehow, though.
Lois Bouchard
I was intrigued by this book from the very beginning. How it unfolds and how it resolves continued to hold my interest as I read. I liked her writing style.
Marcia Pottenger
Too many details that weren't pertinent to the story. Plodding plot.
Lizzie Jolly
Lizzie Jolly marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2012
Bethan
Bethan marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2012
Miff73
Miff73 marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2012
Kathleen Rowntree was born in Northumberland, brought up in Lincolnshire, studied music and English at Hull University and is now living with her husband in Oxfordshire. She taught for some years before she began to write. When asked what her novels are about she usually replies with one word: 'relationships'. Her explorations of human foibles and tangles lead reviewers to use words like sharp, sh ...more
More about Kathleen Rowntree...
Between Friends Outside Looking in Tell Mrs. Poole I'm Sorry Laurie and Claire Brief Shining