Start by marking “Mister Max: The Book of Secrets: Mister Max 2” as Want to Read:
Mister Max: The Book of Secrets: Mister Max 2

Mister Max: The Book of Secrets: Mister Max 2 (Mister Max #2)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Published September 23rd 2014 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Mister Max, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mister Max

Joan
Aug 01, 2014 Joan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 5th grade mystery lovers and those who read book 1
This suffered from the problems of many bridging novels. The first one was excellent and I am looking forward to the third, but this one was a bit slow in parts, with some of the mysteries abruptly wrapped up and characters introduced in preparation for book 3, the last of a trilogy. I'm also not so sure people could read this one without reading book one first, especially for an explanation of "solutioneer". Max is still trying to be financially independent so he doesn't have to rely on his Dad ...more
Iowa City Public Library
Mister Max: The Book of Secrets is the recently released second title in the trilogy, which follows Max on his most important case yet. The problems are bigger and more complex, but Max is sure he can handle them. Fires have been springing up in small businesses, but no one will talk to the police, and with a visit from the Royal family approaching, the Mayor is desperate stop the fires without a fuss. Enter Mister Max and his ability to get people talking without knowing who they are really tal ...more
Lorie Bonapfel
Mister Max, the “solutioneer”, is back for his second adventure as he further unravels the mystery of his parent’s disappearance while solving problems anonymously for his fellow citizens of the fictional Queensbridge. Twelve year old Max is so fully into his problem solving that he accepts a major case from the Mayor in order to find out who is setting fires and vandalizing the small businesses of the town and why the shop owners do not want the police involved. Will Max discover more about his ...more
Michael Fitzgerald
This just gets more and more implausible. It's supposed to be realistic, I think, but I'm not buying it. You have twelve-year-olds pondering the meaning of life and thoughtfully considering their future careers as if they were thirty. The mysteries are also dull and (at least to this point) unrelated. They are handily resolved to no great effect. I'm having a hard time seeing why a publisher thought this was such a good idea. I also found the illustrations poorly done - most of the boys look ali ...more
Rick Stuckwisch
Quite a good book, and a solid continuation of the series. There's at least one more installment to come - Mister Max and the Book of Kings -- and I suspect that it may be the conclusion to what will be a trilogy. We'll have to see. Cynthia Voigt is a good author. Her characters are well developed and interesting, her story lines are complex but carefully crafted and coordinated. As mentioned in commenting on the first book in this series, I'd locate this series in the same groove as the Mysteri ...more
Jessalyn King
This was a decent sequel (although it took some thinking to remember things from the first one... I wish authors would include a detailed synopsis of previous books for their readers). I liked that he finally had people to confide in and that he let people help him. What kind of was weird was the pacing. It seemed almost like it was two books. The really exciting story arc wrapped up about 2/3 of the way through, and the last third was mostly setup for the third book... A bit strange. So I defin ...more
Toni
I just love Mister Max. He is really a twelve year old boy who is hiding big secrets, but he puts himself forward as a "Soluntioneer" someone who finds out things and solves problems. No one can guess his true age because of his experience in the theater and all of the costumes at his disposal. This is the second in what will be at least a trilogy.

The story is fun, sweet, and adventurous all at the same time, with some fun characters.
Jenni Frencham
The book itself: 4/5
The audiobook narration: 1/5

Audiobooks can live or die based on a narrator, and the narrator for this one decided that all female characters must sound exactly alike. It was really disappointing, because he depicted the fish lady, who talks really fast and doesn't let anyone get a word in edgewise, really well, but then ALL the female characters ended up sounding like the fish lady. Sigh.
Bookstorequeer
I found this a bit slower going for me than the first novel in the series. That may be because there's a growing cast of characters and the challenges that Max was facing were, perhaps, more complicated and thus too more time to find a solution for.

But the ending was wonderful how it all came together and (view spoiler)
Michelle
This second book in a proposed trilogy was full of more clever mysteries and solutions, a smart and observant narrator, and plenty of thoughtful and even beautiful writing. I again listened to it on CD. My only complaint is that, as with the first, this book ends at just a pause with TONS of unanswered questions remaining for the final installment.
Monique
Just as good as the first one, a little slow in the beginning, but by the end, I'm just looking for the next one. :) :) :) :) :)

I love the intricate stories, how two or three plots submerge and weave an addicting and well-crafted tale of a young boy named Max. The only problem: He's 12, yet some take him to be a man at times depending. I just wish the age was a little more believable for someone to take him as one in his twenties or thirties. I imagine while reading that he's like 14 or 15.
Patty
I really enjoy this series. This book moves us closer to what is going on with Max's parents as well as gives Max more than enough to think about while he is trying to figure out what to do. This one just came out and I am more than ready for the next one in the series!
Claire
A sequel to Mister Max Book of Secrets. Max finds peril in one of his jobs, gets a cryptic letter from his missing parents and learns that even a smart independent 12 year old needs friends, family and confidants. Heartwarming. I am looking forward to the next installment.
Jeana
Very nice read.

It really seemed to take everything I loved about the first book and build on it. The world just has such a classically elegant feel, and I found myself getting lost in the way things were described with such detail. And it's these little details, that seem meaningless at the time, that weave back around later and pull the sub plots together into a whole.

All the characters were vivid and felt needed. In fact even someone with as simple a role as a sales clerk or cafe owner that o
Beth Anne
Read aloud with Martin. This is shaping up to be a fantastic series. Martin thought this one was better than the first, but I liked that there were more hidden parts of the plot in the first. I figured out one big part before the main character and before Martin in this one as well. Really well written, exciting and interesting, and it's going to be a LONG wait for the next book!
Amy Ariel
Totally implausible, as many reviewers have said. Delightfully so. Nothing in this book could ever have happened, short of a grandmother being city librarian. But would it be marvelous if it could have?
Full of likeable and fun characters, mini mysteries in which no one comes to actual harm, good friendships and adults who take kids seriously and are taken seriously by them - totally implausible...and what's not to like?
Cecilia Rodriguez
Max has established himself as a Solutioneer. He is hired by the Mayor of Queensbridge to investigate a rash of vandalism and arson.
The subplot, deals with the mysterious disappearance of Max's parents and coded letters.
Mina Khan
3.5 actually

This wasn't as good as the first one, but still very enjoyable. I think we see Max maturing more in this one and Ari also coming into his own...definitely got me wanting to read the next one.
Charlou Lunsford
Mister Max is still playing the part of a Solutioneer, a solver of problems,while actually being a 12 year old boy with missing parents. Quite as much fun as the first.
Julia
Cara
I loved the first book. This one really took awhile to get going. I love the messages the author builds into this story about self-reliance, but we really do need the help of others. I love the main character, Max. It is mysterious and suspenseful, without horror. I don't know how this book will go over with the middle school crowd. I think after reading Harry Potter & Percy Jackson, they may be bored. I would highly recommend this book for the advanced 3rd or 4th grader.
Erica
This one was darker than the first. I would recommend it to advanced 4th graders and up. Can't wait for the third installment.
Wooden Horse
I had a hard time reading this because I found it so tedious. I have not read the first book in the series and at this point I don't plan to. I think I might have enjoyed it when I was 8-10 years old though because it does involve a lot of acting, costume discussion, and solutioneering which would have appealed to my younger self.
Angie
Took me a little while to finish this one but I still enjoyed it.

And the end? Great promise for book three!
Dec-Prat Family
Dec-Prat Family is currently reading it
May 04, 2015
BBA
BBA marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Kari
Kari marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Mistaken Masterpiece (The Red Blazer Girls, #3)
  • Poached
  • The Puzzler's Mansion (The Puzzling World of Winston Breen #3)
  • Fluff Dragon
  • The Whisper (The Riverman Trilogy, #2)
  • Hocus Pocus Hotel
  • How to Catch a Bogle (Bogle #1)
  • Space Taxi: Archie Takes Flight
  • Gotham Academy #2
  • An Army of Frogs: A Kulipari Novel
  • Lulu's Mysterious Mission
  • The Secret Box (The Secret Box, #1)
  • Words By Heart
  • The Field of Wacky Inventions (Floors #3)
  • Courtney Crumrin's Monstrous Holiday (Courtney Crumrin, #4)
  • How to Read Literature Like a Professor: For Kids
  • The Wig in the Window
  • The Whatnot (The Peculiar, #2)
Cynthia Voigt is an American author of books for young adults dealing with various topics such as adventure, mystery, racism and child abuse.

Awards:
Angus and Sadie: the Sequoyah Book Award (given by readers in Oklahoma), 2008
The Katahdin Award, for lifetime achievement, 2003
The Anne V. Zarrow Award, for lifetime achievement, 2003
The Margaret Edwards Award, for a body of work, 1995
Jackaroo: Ratte
More about Cynthia Voigt...

Mister Max (3 books)
  • The Book of Lost Things (Mister Max #1)
  • Mister Max: The Book of Kings: Mister Max 3
Homecoming (Tillerman Cycle, #1) Dicey's Song (Tillerman Cycle, #2) A Solitary Blue (Tillerman Cycle, #3) Jackaroo (Kingdom, #1) Izzy, Willy-Nilly