Start by marking “Thirty Steps to Heaven: The Ladder of Divine Ascent for All Walks of Life” as Want to Read:
Thirty Steps to Heaven: The Ladder of Divine Ascent for All Walks of Life

Thirty Steps to Heaven: The Ladder of Divine Ascent for All Walks of Life

Many laypeople have attempted to read the great spiritual classic, The Ladder of Divine Ascent, but have been frustrated in attempting to apply the lessons of this monastic text to their everyday lives in the world. In Thirty Steps, Archimandrite Vassilios interprets the Ladder for the ordinary Christian without sacrificing any of its beauty and power. Now you too can ...more
Published March 2013 by Ancient Faith Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Thirty Steps to Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thirty Steps to Heaven

Jim
Apr 26, 2014 Jim rated it it was amazing
This meditation on the Ladder of Ascent is marvelous. The title sounds as if it's some extended 12-step (30-step?) program or road to heaven, but it is not. Mystics plumb their own spiritual life in the context of liturgy, patristics, their own context as well as the guide from any psiritual guide. This provides the basic bedrock on which to review the truth of one's spiritual progress or context.

I believe that I will re-read the volume next Lent.
Diane Ricks
Aug 03, 2015 Diane Ricks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books you can read again and again. It took forever to read, because I had to go back and re-read parts. Great spiritual reading.
Stuart
Apr 29, 2014 Stuart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before I review, Thirty Steps to Heaven, I think I should clarify what The Ladder of Divine Ascent is for those unfamiliar with it. The Ladder is an ascetical treatise, intended for monastics, on how to obtain salvation. It was written in the 7th Century by Fr. John of Sinai (also known as Climacus, meaning of the Ladder), and is traditionally read by monastics every Great Lent. There are currently two versions in print. I prefer the one from Holy Transfiguration Monastery as it is a nice ...more
Garrett
I read this book at the same time as I read John Climacus: The Ladder of Divine Ascent. I found it a really helpful companion to understanding each of the steps St. John Climacus writes about as well as how to adapt them to 1) life today and 2) life as a non-monastic.

I highly recommend this to anyone who is approaching John Climacus: The Ladder of Divine Ascent for the first time. This will make reading that treasure trove of wisdom much easier and much more fruitful for one's spiritual life.
Fr. Ted
Aug 03, 2014 Fr. Ted rated it really liked it
Probably for most of us reading THE LADDER OF DIVINE ASCENT really is spiritually a step over our heads. Besides it was written by a monk and for monks, not really for the average parishioner. Archimandrite Vassilios brings the book down from heaven to earth and makes its themes accessible to our daily lives in the 21st Century. Those who like the depth of THE LADDER will find it perhaps too much on a popular level, but for many parishioners it will be a good introduction to this literature and ...more
Marc Pearce
May 29, 2015 Marc Pearce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really good book, filled with many profound gems of wisdom. Readers will find that this book provides an examination of one's self, and is a way to see exactly where one stands in their relationship with God, as well as how to make improvements on their spiritual journey. Although written from an Orthodox perspective, Christians from most denominations can take away some valuable lessons from reading this book.
Keith
Oct 28, 2015 Keith rated it really liked it
This book is a great way to get introduced to John Climacus' 'Ladder of Divine Ascent'. The book is about taking a personal inventory and letting go of unhealthy attitudes and attachments while simultaneously replacing them with healthy thought patterns and virtues. It does a great job analyzing both spiritual sickness and health. The only thing it lacks on a bit is the 'how'of transition/transformation, though it does touch on it in some areas more than others.
Susan Bailey
Apr 14, 2016 Susan Bailey rated it it was amazing
I was first attracted to this book because of the way the type was set up - double spaced! Really easy on the eyes plus lots of room for notes. Father Papavassiliou writes in such a clear fashion. I read this during Lent and was inspired to spend more time in prayer in a disciplined fashion. He makes the Ladder of St. John understandable.
Jane G Meyer
Apr 25, 2014 Jane G Meyer is currently reading it
Holy Smokes! Since this is about making progress in our spiritual lives, and because I'm not sure that I will ever make it past step one, when will I finish this book? I keep re-reading chapters one and two, and have peeked at chapter three, but goodness, I have work to do.

Off to pray! :)
Sevin
Apr 30, 2016 Sevin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful book. I found this interpretation of the ladder of divine ascent to be easy to approach while I was challenged and blessed at every step.
Allen
Sep 01, 2016 Allen rated it it was amazing
Great book read with Church during Lent. the teachings from the elder were a great way to live your life. recommend the book highly.
Laurie Stamas
Laurie Stamas rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2015
Nancy
Nancy rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2015
James
James rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2014
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2016
Tom Boyd
Tom Boyd rated it really liked it
May 03, 2014
Sarah Faulkner
Sarah Faulkner rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2014
Febin John
Febin John rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2016
Gary Feister
Gary Feister rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2016
Nina
Nina rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2015
Roy
Roy rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2015
Brandon
Brandon rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2015
Ryan
Ryan rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2015
Janine
Janine rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
Tj
Tj rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Constance Sisson
Constance Sisson rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2015
Bill Cupp
Bill Cupp rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2015
w gall
w gall rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2015
Dan McDevitt
Dan McDevitt rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2015
Jason
Jason rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2016