Start by marking “The Murdered Sun (Star Trek: Voyager, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Murdered Sun (Star Trek: Voyager, #6)

The Murdered Sun (Star Trek: Voyager #6)

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  422 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
When sensors indicate a possible wormhole nearby, Captain Janeway is eager to investigate - hoping to find a shortcut back to the Federation. Instead, she discovers a solar system being systematically pillaged by the warlike Akerians.

The last thing Janeway wants is to get caught up in someone else's war, but to check out the wormhole - and to protect the innocent inhabitan
Published 1996 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about The Murdered Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Murdered Sun

Chris Johnson
Apr 17, 2014 Chris Johnson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek, voyager
By far my favorite Voyager book so far. I enjoyed the interplay between the three groups very much. Chakotay seems less one note, even while playing his one note, throughout and I'm not even sure why. Tom Paris's arc is very good, it would have been great if this sort of xenophobia would have been explored more in his character within the show.

The pseudo-science was about as interesting as Trek pseudo-science gets, and the plot moved quickly and efficiently. Overall I would highly suggest any f
Conan Tigard
Nov 14, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it
The Murdered Sun takes place a few months after the the Voyager appears in the Delta Quadrant. Although the Stardate in the last chapter is 43897.1, it has to be incorrect since the Voyager didn't go through the wormhole that led them to the Delta Quadrant until Stardate 48579.4.

Besides that little discrepancy, The Murdered Sun is an wonderful story. The beginning of the story is chocked full of combat, while the middle of the story involves the crew helping the Verunians, and then the action-
Stephen
May 12, 2015 Stephen rated it really liked it
Having recently read John Jackson Miller’s Star Trek: The Next Generation novel Takedown, I decided to further my plunge into Trek with another book. It worked well with John, so I picked another Star Wars author that I liked. In this case it was Christie Golden with her Star Trek: Voyager novel The Murdered Sun.

Now I’ve never watched Star Trek: Voyager, so I’m unfamiliar with the characters. On the other hand, this is only the second Star Trek novel I’ve ever ready, so I’m not sure which is mor
John
Jul 27, 2011 John rated it really liked it
Excellent STV book! Hard to believe this one was Ms. Golden's first ST book...actually her first SF book. She writes like one of the grand masters!
K
Jul 19, 2014 K rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek, voyager
The Murdered Sun is a decent Voyager book. The plot follows the general formula of a Voyager episode. Voyager is traveling back to the Alpha quadrant, they think they find a possible means to get their quicker, discover a they are in a territory of a war like race, Neelix advises they leave, the beings affected by the war like race were unable to defend themselves, prime directive, etc. So I didn't give this book a 4/5 because of that, I did feel the author did a great job capturing the likeness ...more
Sharon
I've been going through the Star Trek Voyager books and this is the first in the series where I felt the characters were finally in sync with what we saw in the TV episodes. The earlier books are for the most part good stories but the characters came across as a bit bland but that is not the fault of the authors. The show was also new at the time and there wasn't a lot for them to work with. Christie Golden had access to more background material and it shows.

The Starship Voyager has found a wor
Tony Mcdowell
Oct 18, 2015 Tony Mcdowell rated it did not like it
Shelves: star-trek
I am a huge fan of the TV series voyager, my favourite episodes being those which contain Seven or the doctor. I dislike the Chakotay episodes immensely, with all the anthropological story lines. Unfortunately this book is a Chakotay episode, with no Seven or doctor storyline, ergo I give it 1 star

It's a book of 3 parts:
The first quarter is engaging, giving a sense of mystery and there's a bit of action and techno involved. So far so good.

However the next half of the book (25% to 75% into the b
Nathan
Jun 06, 2015 Nathan rated it liked it

Another good Voyager book from Christie Golden. She's one of my favorite Star Trek authors (along with Kirsten Beyer), but this one fell short. Here's why:

First of all, I can't even count the times Chakotay is described in this book simply as "the Indian". And I mean, yes, he is Indian, but do we have to call him that? I don't hear anybody referring to Harry Kim as "the Asian". It bothers me that Golden didn't find some other aspect of Chakotay to emphasize rather than his race and his spirit gu
Elizabeth Perez
Apr 20, 2016 Elizabeth Perez rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
One of my favorite Voyager books. It was an interesting plot, and a fun fast pace read. I also love how Christie Golden keeps the characters... well in character. I loved that the new aliens were really apart of the story and had so much development, I with these bear like creatures had been on the show as well!

The only thing bad or not so great thing about the book was that I did see one little twist coming but it was still a great read.

I recommend all of Christie Golden's books she does so we
Jere
Jun 30, 2015 Jere rated it it was ok
It was a Star Trek book and as a result one of those relaxing and fun reads. While I really enjoyed the story all in all there were two issues that drug it down for me. The first was the author's continually stressing the bigoted and prejudicial issues that Mr. Paris was having with the alien race they encountered. While I get what the author was trying to do, having the author remind me every few pages that Paris was bigoted towards the aliens got really old and kind of tedious. Also, the fores ...more
Jacque Hodges (Carter)
Jan 27, 2014 Jacque Hodges (Carter) rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
This was a fun book. Golden had the crew in character as far as I was concerned. You could see them growing toward the people we know from the series . I miss watching Star Trek on TV so much. Let's have a Star Trek reboot series. We need to get JJ Abrams, Josh Whedon, Ron Moore, and maybe Bear McCreary for the awesome music, to start working on this. That's not too much to ask,is it? In the meantime I will keep on reading. Get cracking, boys!
Rachel
Jan 15, 2016 Rachel rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book way more than I expected to. Great story, great character development for Paris, and great J/C friendship moments.
Dennis
Dec 10, 2013 Dennis rated it really liked it
Probably one of the better Star Trek Voyager books I've read yet. The characterizations are pretty close to where they were in the series at this point, and the writing is clean, if a little bland at times. I would have liked to see more descriptions of things. Especially with the alien race(s), there's so much to be described and experienced. Other than those minor comments, though, I actually enjoyed this one.
Ruby
Aug 11, 2012 Ruby rated it it was amazing
this was an intriguing read with an interesting plotline and a fascinating alien race. Christie Golden is one of the few authors who writes tie-in books that actually watches the shows in order to understand and correctly write the characters, which is essential to making the story believable.
Angela
Voyager thinks they might have found a wormhole, in fact they find a planet full of dinosaur people who are being attacked. This is an action orientated story, and it is written very well. Paris seems to take centre stage here, coping with his own prejudices. A good read.
Sui
Aug 11, 2012 Sui added it
If this book did not heavily inspire Avatar, then I will eat it :-)
The story, just like Avatar's story, was excellent. Well written.
David Nadolny
Aug 24, 2011 David Nadolny rated it liked it
A decent STV book, but nothing earth shattering.
Rachel
Jan 12, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Absolutely one of my favorite Voyager books.
Emilyf11
Aug 03, 2011 Emilyf11 added it
Shelves: star-trek
interesting
Matt Day
Matt Day marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Reliant18642003yahoo.com
Reliant18642003yahoo.com marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Gaia
Gaia marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Johan
Johan rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Lara
Lara marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Musiquedevie
Musiquedevie marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
JD
JD rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2016
  • Violations (Star Trek: Voyager #4)
  • Bless the Beasts (Star Trek Voyager, #10)
  • Ghost of a Chance (Star Trek: Voyager, #7)
  • Cybersong (Star Trek Voyager, #8)
  • The Garden (Star Trek Voyager, #11)
  • Chrysalis (Star Trek Voyager, #12)
  • The Escape (Star Trek Voyager, #2)
  • Ragnarok (Star Trek Voyager, #3)
  • Incident at Arbuk (Star Trek: Voyager, #5)
  • The Black Shore (Star Trek Voyager, #13)
  • The Final Fury (Star Trek Voyager, #9; Invasion, Book 4)
  • Caretaker (Star Trek Voyager, #1)
  • Mosaic (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Flashback (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Death of a Neutron Star (Star Trek: Voyage, #17)
  • Battle Lines (Star Trek Voyager, #18)
  • The Nanotech War (Star Trek Voyager #39)
  • Her Klingon Soul: Day of Honor #3
Award-winning author Christie Golden has written over thirty novels and several short stories in the fields of science fiction, fantasy and horror. She has over a million books in print.

2009 will see no fewer than three novels published. First out in late April will be a World of Warcraft novel, Athas: Rise of the Lich King. This is the first Warcraft novel to appear in hardcover. Fans of the youn
More about Christie Golden...

Star Trek: Voyager (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Caretaker (Star Trek Voyager, #1)
  • The Escape (Star Trek Voyager, #2)
  • Ragnarok (Star Trek Voyager, #3)
  • Violations (Star Trek: Voyager #4)
  • Incident at Arbuk (Star Trek: Voyager, #5)
  • Ghost of a Chance (Star Trek: Voyager, #7)
  • Cybersong (Star Trek Voyager, #8)
  • The Final Fury (Star Trek Voyager, #9; Invasion, Book 4)
  • Bless the Beasts (Star Trek Voyager, #10)
  • The Garden (Star Trek Voyager, #11)