Start by marking “Mental Floss Presents Be Amazing: Glow in the Dark, Control the Weather, Perform Your Own Surgery, Get Out of Jury Duty, Identify a Witch, Colonize a Nation, ... Girl, Make a Zombie, Start Your Own Religion” as Want to Read:

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  165 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Be amazing

Who says you can't? It's time to get off the couch and take your life to the next level.

Step one: stand on the shoulders of geniuses

What good are the world's greatest geniuses if you can't muddy their shoulder pads and use their accomplishments as a step stool? mental_floss has combed through every success story in history to deliver this ultimate how-to guide f
Published March 17th 2009 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published March 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Mental Floss Presents Be Amazing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mental Floss Presents Be Amazing

Theresa
Nov 02, 2009 Theresa rated it really liked it
Haven’t you always wanted to be amazing? Be Amazing offers up dozens of ways to achieve this goal from being a teen idol and wrestling an alligator to winning a duel and drinking like a caveman. Though the writing style is light, most entries contain genuine (if impractical) stories of how people throughout history have attempted to make their mark on the world. Want to be a loveable eccentric? Read about Joshua Norton, the self-proclaimed Emperor of the United States who was so beloved by the p ...more
Lara
Apr 20, 2009 Lara rated it it was amazing
A fun book, full of factoids and interesting info. Fun to discuss with friends and family. I started reading this one day and left it on the table. The next time I picked it up, my husband had a bookmark in there, too. Then my oldest daughter. My husband had a dream that night that he picked it up to read and there were 6 bookmarks, one for each member of the family. That idea isn't unreasonable. We all enjoyed it.

There were some instances when I wanted to take a red pen to it. It had some basic
Jesse
Sep 10, 2009 Jesse rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. It was long and took a while to finish but it was remarkably easy and fun to read. It was full of interesting facts that I wouldn't expect to find in more "serious" history collections. It's a lot of fun and gives you great ice breakers for parties. i.e. Robinson Crusoe was based on a true story, the origins of the phrase "running like a chicken with it's head cut off," and how to leave a beautiful corpse behind years after you're dead (it's not as morbid as that sounds). In a ...more
Sara
Apr 29, 2009 Sara rated it liked it
Recommends it for: the trivia-obsessed
This book can give you conversation icebreakers for the rest of your life. It's full of odd facts, bizarre stories and unforgettably wacky characters. This is a perfect book for someone with a busy schedule, because the stories are bite-sized and convenient to pick up and put down and get absorbed into the next story.

I read it over breakfast for a couple of weeks - it's just like reading the back of cereal box!
Kim
Apr 28, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it
Exactly what mental_floss is good for -- random stories with information you otherwise would've never found out. My mind that oh so loves trivia oh so loved this book.
Tony Wolniakowski
Aug 30, 2011 Tony Wolniakowski rated it it was amazing
I read this book really fast. It was funny and full of information that I didn't know and there were times when I laughed right out loud. I would recommend this book to anyone.
Feb 01, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
I think this might just be my favorite of all the mental_floss books. And because of this book, I am even *more* amazing than I was before.
Grace
Nov 22, 2012 Grace rated it liked it
Author: Maggie Koerth-Baker

Title: Be Amazing: Glow in the Dark, Control the Weather, Perform Your Own Surgery, Get Out of Jury Duty, Identify a Witch

Description: Published by Mental Floss, that magazine of really smart trivia that totally scratches my itch to know bizarre facts about everything under the sun. This book is a collection of short (generally 2 pages) accounts of little known facts under the guise of teaching you how to do them. For example, in order to perform your own surgery, you
Erikka
Feb 05, 2016 Erikka rated it liked it
I would have given this a four, because the information was interesting and I like the way trivia and historical stories were presented as instructions for how to be an awesome person. (Well, more awesome). However, this book is absolutely riddled with typos and the English teacher in me just cannot let that slide.
Melissa
Oct 16, 2010 Melissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
This book was sort of fun, it's basically an organised extension of the Mental Floss web site, and as such has many internet-like features, including but not exclusive to frequent spelling errors, style issues, and general editing problems. I don't regret reading it, but I won't be reading it again.
Levi
Dec 15, 2011 Levi rated it really liked it
Don't get this book if you're expecting to learn any useful skills from it. Do get this book if you're looking for some very interesting conversation starters! Like all Mental_Floss works, it's a treasure trove of only the most entertaining factoids.
Aaron
Oct 28, 2012 Aaron rated it it was amazing
Wow what an entertaining book. I enjoyed it thoroughly. It has something for everyone, and I had to google a lot of the things that were listed here, so I could find more information. If you like the magazine, you are sure to enjoy this book!
Eclarep
Dec 24, 2010 Eclarep rated it really liked it
Pretty good. Snippets of information perfect for flights and other interrupted reading sessions. Plus, I now know how to start a coup.
Jane
Sep 20, 2012 Jane rated it liked it

This isn't a how-to book or a humor title, it's a trivia book. As long as you read the book that way, it is enjoyable.
Kate
Oct 14, 2011 Kate rated it liked it
Recommends it for: dabblers
Recommended to Kate by: 031.02 K
Shelves: miscellany
A proponent of Stoicism, Chrysippus apparently died from laughter while watching a drunken donkey eat a plate of figs.
Jen
Jul 25, 2009 Jen marked it as could-not-finish
Enjoyable and instructive. I didn't finish it because I moved on, not because it wasn't worth reading.
Luke Nelson
Jun 03, 2011 Luke Nelson rated it really liked it
This book was great for the most part, but some parts could have benefited from some fact checking.
Raya Pomelkova
Oct 07, 2014 Raya Pomelkova rated it it was amazing
A lot of curious bits written with a humourous tone.
Jinnie
Dec 03, 2010 Jinnie rated it liked it
It was pretty good, as far as mindless trivia goes.
Rebecca
Not that amazing after all.
Roger Pavey
Roger Pavey rated it it was ok
May 22, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Mike Archibald
Mike Archibald marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Elaine Jarnagin
Elaine Jarnagin marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Randy Micek
Randy Micek marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Marissa
Marissa marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Aurore Labenheim
Aurore Labenheim rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2016
HappiMess Media
HappiMess Media is currently reading it
Apr 17, 2016
Eline
Eline marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
  • Mental Floss: Scatterbrained
  • Mental Floss presents In the Beginning: From Big Hair to the Big Bang, mental_floss presents a Mouthwatering Guide to the Origins of Everything
  • Mental Floss: Cocktail Party Cheat Sheets
  • Under the Covers and between the Sheets: Facts and Trivia about the World's Greatest Books
  • The Mental Floss History of the United States: The (Almost) Complete and (Entirely) Entertaining Story of America
  • Book of Secrets
  • Fact. Fact. Bullsh*t!: Learn the Truth and Spot the Lie on Everything from Tequila-Made Diamonds to Tetris's Soviet Roots - Plus Tons of Other Totally Random Facts from Science, History and Beyond!
  • Common Nonsense
  • You Did What?: Mad Plans and Great Historical Disasters
  • Listverse.com's Ultimate Book of Bizarre Lists: Fascinating Facts and Shocking Trivia on Movies, Music, Crime, Celebrities, History, and More
  • Plane Insanity
  • I Used to Know That: Stuff You Forgot from School
  • Forbidden Knowledge: 101 Things Not Everyone Should Know How to Do
  • I See Rude People: One Woman's Battle to Beat Some Manners Into Impolite Society
  • How to Good-Bye Depression: If You Constrict Anus 100 Times Everyday. Malarkey? or Effective Way?
  • Theo Gray's Mad Science: Experiments You Can Do At Home - But Probably Shouldn't
  • Exposed: Confessions of a Wedding Photographer: A Memoir