Start by marking “The Temple of Gold” as Want to Read:
The Temple of Gold

The Temple of Gold

Acclaimed for such Academy Award—winning screenplays as Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and such thrillers as Marathon Man, not to mention the bestselling classic The Princess Bride, William Goldman stands as one of the most beloved writers in America. But long before these triumphs, he caused a sensation with his brilliant first novel, a powerful story of reckless yout ...more
Published October 2nd 2001 by Ballantine Books (first published 1957)

mark monday
there is something so annoying yet so forgiveable about a first novel that is less about adventure and more about how the author thinks they have discovered What Life Is Truly All About. these kinds of novels often combine youthful idealism and cynicism in an awkward way that manages to be both refreshingly honest and irritatingly pretentious. oh where is that golden temple of satisfaction that we all strive so aimlessly towards? oh isn't life such a sad disappointment after all? where is this l ...more
Eugene Ahn
Sep 12, 2007 Eugene Ahn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Better than Catcher in the Rye. There, I said it.
Linda Robinson
Aug 21, 2009 Linda Robinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in 1970, and it had an enormous impact on me. I'm not going to read it again because I don't want it out of time. J. D. Salinger just died, and I won't reread Franny and Zooey either. I'd rather remember them both as the most amazing books I've read in my life and leave the books and their brilliantly timely authors there.
Joe
Jun 13, 2012 Joe rated it really liked it
I read it around 1962 when I was in high school. A certain passage has stuck with me ever since. A new boy moves in next door, same age as our 12-year-old protagonist, and here is the first meeting:
"I hear you're an absolute angel," I said to him that morning.
"I hear you're not," he came right back, which threw me, because I didn't know how the news had spread so fast.

A wonderfully-described friendship grows through junior high and high school. Then 43 pages later on their last night before part
Dilyana Georgieva
Удоволствие!
И втория път я изгълтах неусетно. Странното е, че за осем години съвсем бях забравила какво се случва, въпреки че отново ми харесва със същата сила. Взех я на заем - любимата книга на най-добрия ми приятел; сега си я купих за два лева на старо. Тогава я четох до четири сутринта, този път ми отне едно пътуване от Варна до София.

Сякаш всичко става толкова лесно при Реймънд Еврипид Тревит - и дивотиите, и фаталните грешки и преодоляването им. Няма никакво съжаление в тази забележителн
Julie
Jul 05, 2016 Julie rated it really liked it
I really liked this coming-of-age novel, set in Athens, Illinois, mostly in the 1940's and 50's. Before reading this one, I had started and abandoned two Kindle daily deals because the writing was not up to my snooty standards, but William Goldman knows how to write and tell a good story. I did run into a few copy-edit misses, maybe because of the translation to Kindle, but it's very readable.

I found it hard to avoid thinking of the book as autobiographical. Life deals the main character severa
Polina Ilieva
Feb 19, 2016 Polina Ilieva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Книга, която остава .....
Sonia
Dec 20, 2011 Sonia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trovarsi di fronte ad un romanzo di William Goldman è un'esperienza da vivere.
Sappiamo che si tratta di pagine scritte dall'autore de Il maratoneta, da cui fu tratto lo splendido film con Dustin Hoffman e Laurence Olivier, e che dalla sua penna sono nate le sceneggiature vincitrici dell'Oscar di Butch Cassidy e Tutti gli uomini del presidente.
Se poi si aggiunge che quel suo libro per ragazzi, La principessa sposa, non è altro che La storia fantastica, quel film che da bambini ci aveva fatto sog
Sean Noga
Apr 05, 2011 Sean Noga rated it it was amazing
Goldman, W. (2001). The temple of gold. New York City, New York: Ballantine Books.

The Temple of Gold is an incredible coming of age story about a young man named Ray Trevitt. This novel captures the angst and dilemmas people often face when growing up and is quite similar to the classic novel, The Cather and the Rye. Ray is a young man growing up in the 1950's and goes through many tragic, but life changing experiences. Ray gets drunk and kills his best friend by accident as he drives home drunk
Geoff Taylor
Feb 02, 2013 Geoff Taylor rated it really liked it
(view spoiler) ...more
Jan 23, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2006
Gregg
Jul 02, 2009 Gregg rated it did not like it
Goldman's first novel, I'm told, is more of a literary attempt than his later suspense and adventure novels. I wanted to like it, but I struggled. The protagonist is sort of a next-level Holden Caulfield, the son of a classics professor, who meets his best friend, goes to college, gets drafted, returns home, gets married, and more or less loses it all. His voice comprises the novel's delivery, and while it's an entertaining voice, it's not enough to hold the story together. I wish I could do Mr. ...more
Sherman Langford
Jan 19, 2015 Sherman Langford rated it liked it
Shelves: literary
I wonder what it is about these angsty coming of age novels that the characters have to make such inexplicable choices as they stumble through their angst. I suppose that's the point, exaggeration of senseless, mindless choices to demonstrate how angsty life is. Doesn't resonate that strongly with me.

I was really enjoying the novel and the characters during the young middle school and high school years, but it sort of careened over the cliff for me once Rip went to college.

The amorality of it a
Peter Murray
Mar 06, 2015 Peter Murray rated it it was amazing
Probably one of the most important books I have ever read and far better than Catcher in The Rye. It isn't just about coming of age, it's about how one deals with the pressure that comes when you move into adult hood and all the disappointments and how to deal with him. It's a book with deep underlying them of mental illness and what drives one to eventual breakdown. I make it sound like a dark book, but it really isn't. There is plenty of humor in the book and plenty of adventures that Ray Trev ...more
Alex
Aug 13, 2013 Alex rated it it was amazing
Maybe the best novel of its kind that I've read. A coming of age story with all the trappings you'd expect (sex, drinking, episodic storytelling, humor and tragedy) and a heavy dose of excellent writing and character work. William Goldman does the majority if his character development through dialogue, which makes sense given his later Oscar. Even minor characters that only stick around for a scene or so get the full benefit of his spectacular words. It really scares anybody with thoughts of bec ...more
Lisa Gennusa-O'Connell
Sep 29, 2014 Lisa Gennusa-O'Connell rated it really liked it
I like the idea of each of our lives being a circle, a continuous arc from beginning to end, where the greatest moments are those where our circle meets another concentric circle. Goldman writes and reads with ease and directness. Raymond voice in Temple of Gold sounds familiar in a Holden Caufield sort of way and the story itself reminds me of the rite of passage that defines Catcher in the Rye. As in most books I read, I enjoy most the connections I feel to my own experiences and there are man ...more
Suzieq
Aug 10, 2013 Suzieq rated it it was amazing
Ivelina
Nov 21, 2010 Ivelina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I read this book many years ago. It was borrowed and after that I haven't been able to find it. I remember I loved it a lot and thought it was much better than Catcher in the Rye. After so long i still have very vivid memories about it - think I can't say about other books that I have read and liked so long ago.
I would like to reread it now, but am somewhat afraid if I will like it as much as that first time.
Nade
Apr 01, 2013 Nade rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourite-books
The Temple of Gold is a great book, genuine and simple. I loved it because of the way the main character, Ray, describes what's happening to him. The author's style really captures the way life twists and tuns and drag everyone along. It was recommended to me as a book similar to Kerouac's On the Road. I don't think they are alike, but it resembles a little The Catcher in the Rye. The Temple of Gold is a pleasant and easy read that teaches you many things.
Jabe
Mar 05, 2014 Jabe rated it liked it
I wanted to love this. I'm such a big fan of Butch & Sundance and the Princess Bride, so I had high expectations for this, despite it being Goldman's first published work.

I enjoyed his personal story about the publication of the book, and I thought the first quarter of the book was pretty good. It felt like it should have been a short story that ended there, though. It didn't really do much for me after that.
Shane
Oct 09, 2013 Shane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was really fantastic, only missing a full 5 star review because of some minor issues. It is absolutely hilarious no doubt, but I was hoping for a much more emotional connection, which never came to be, that, and Raymond can be a real jerk sometimes. :)

Still though, this was a fun read that had me laughing out loud quite a few times, and is wonderfully written.
Chris
Aug 07, 2014 Chris rated it liked it
3.5-I first read this book forty-something years ago and thought it was great. Reading it again and seeing it through a different lens from a different perspective, it loses some of the appeal it had for me at a younger age. I guess sometimes "coming of age" books are better when you are closer to that time in your life.
Brian Wilson
Sep 09, 2009 Brian Wilson rated it liked it
I actually really enjoyed this book. It was William Godman's first full-length novel and it reads like a first try. That doesn't mean it's bad. You can just really tell that he is finding his voice. It is similar to Catcher in the Rye, but only somewhat. I've read both and, honestly, of the two, this is the one that I would read again.
Trixie
Oct 09, 2015 Trixie rated it really liked it
More like 3.5 stars. Engaging, punchy writing. Really captures reckless teenage spirit and wayward early 20s. Great coming-of-age novel that rivals Catcher in the Rye. Similarly, an unpleasant narrator, but Euripides is preferable to Holden. If I read this one earlier in life, I'd probably give it 5 stars.
Lori
Sep 10, 2014 Lori rated it really liked it
This is his first novel. And it's not perfect. But it had me not wanting to put it down for a week. The style reminds me a lot of John Irving (or really, I suppose it's the other way around), one of my all-time favorite authors. It's not about what happens, it's about the unfolding way the story is told. Not a long book, so well worth the read.
Serina
Dec 16, 2013 Serina rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book. But Goldman was in his twenties and writing in the 1950s (maybe it was his first book) - and that really shows when reading the book now in the 2010s. The female characters are paper thin, not understood and badly treated. But the writing is good and the dialogue is very snappy.
Gary Lee
Apr 27, 2009 Gary Lee rated it it was ok
Shelves: literatti
Seems like it would make a nice substitute for Catcher in the Rye; but I only made it about 60 pages into it before I put it down. I don't mean that to sound like a problem with the book -- what I read was actually pretty good -- I just got sidetracked by comics and travel plans and couldn't find the inspiration to finish reading it.
james
Jul 27, 2008 james rated it it was amazing
Quick read, i read it in a day (a slow day i guess...)

Goldman's first published novel, definitely an easy read, but worthwhile at the same time. My only complaint was the ending, though we had closure more or less, left me wanting to know what happened next.

I think any comparison to Catcher in the Rye is awfully loose...
Robert
I read this many years ago, and just had occasion to think about it. I liked this and another book by Goldman, "Boys and Girls Together" very much. I don't quite think either qualifies for four stars, but I would consider 3.5.
Ida Rand
Nov 13, 2008 Ida Rand rated it really liked it
i loved this book. it was nice and short and easy to read. i don't know though, i haven't read it in a long time, but i remember thinking it was cool like catcher in the rye. like i said, i read it 20 something years ago so i could be totally off, it might be about puppies.
Best Book Ever 2 15 Jan 02, 2012 01:29AM
  • Jack and the Giants
  • Last Tales
  • Secrets of the Book
  • The Green Years
  • The Adventures of Beanboy (Beanboy #1)
  • Sun, Moon, Star
  • Hemingway & Bailey's Bartending Guide to Great American Writers
  • The Summer Son
  • Grand Opening
  • Going Social: Excite Customers, Generate Buzz, and Energize Your Brand with the Power of Social Media
  • Now It's Time To Say Goodbye
  • The Suicide Run: Five Tales of the Marine Corps
  • Owl Ninja (Samurai Kids, #2)
  • Death Metal Epic (Book One: The Inverted Katabasis)
  • Shallow Graves in Siberia
  • The 1-2-3 Money Plan: The Three Most Important Steps to Saving and Spending Smart
  • Suzy's Case: A Novel
  • Move a Little, Lose a Lot: New NEAT Science Reveals How to Be Thinner, Happier, and Smarter
Goldman grew up in a Jewish family in Highland Park, Illinois, a Chicago suburb, and obtained a BA degree at Oberlin College in 1952 and an MA degree at Columbia University in 1956.His brother was the late James Goldman, author and playwright.

William Goldman had published five novels and had three plays produced on Broadway before he began to write screenplays. Several of his novels he later used
More about William Goldman...

“What's the handle, Zock?” 1 likes