Start by marking “I, Q” as Want to Read:
I, Q

I, Q (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  1,111 ratings  ·  48 reviews
The enigmatic entity known as Q remains one of the greatest mysteries in the universe, yet no one, perhaps, understands Q as well as actor John de Lancie, who has played Q on television for more than a decade. Now de Lancie and Peter David, the bestselling author of such acclaimed novels as Q-in-Law and Q-Squared, have joined forces to send Q on an unforgettable cosmic ody ...more
Published December 1st 2000 by Star Trek (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about I, Q, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I, Q

Imzadi by Peter DavidSpock's World by Diane DuaneUhura's Song by Janet KaganYesterday's Son by A.C. CrispinEnterprise by Vonda N. McIntyre
Best Star Trek Books
24th out of 240 books — 176 voters
Imzadi by Peter DavidA Stitch in Time by Andrew J. RobinsonSarek by A.C. CrispinSpock's World by Diane DuaneMosaic by Jeri Taylor
Star Trek Books That Don't Actually Suck
40th out of 145 books — 76 voters

More lists with this book...

Katie Paulson
Disclaimer right up front: if you like Q, you'll love this book. If you read Star Trek novels for lengthy sci-fi gibberish and prose with multiple serious mentions of the Prime Directive, look elsewhere. Q's voice is captured so perfectly, it's ridiculously easy to imagine John de Lancie sitting next to you, reading it aloud. The attention to detail is what really makes the story, though, as the worlds Q visits are so populated with small, easy-to-visualize details, and it makes the fantasy worl ...more
"Think of the letter 'Q.' The symbol of our Continuum. You start at the lower right, and you proceed around it counterclockwise. You travel around and eventually you wind up right back where you which point you simply trail off."

There's double punctuation, emboldened paragraphs, and giant fonts...but it's Q.

There are bad jokes, puns, and lengthy asides to the reader...but it's Q.

Existence itself is coming to an end, and the Continuum will prevent anybody from interfering with these
I, Q is, in many ways, Douglas Adams meets Gene Roddenberry. Although several beloved Star Trek: The Next Generation characters appear in this novel, Q's humorous narration is stylistically similar to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I've never really watched any of the Star Trek TV shows, but I have read several novels about Q, including both the ones by Peter David and the Q Continuum trilogy by Greg Cox, so I know how his character is, and this seems to be pretty true to form. Star Trek ...more
Christopher Obert
I find Star Trek’s “Q” one of science fiction’s most enjoyable characters. I, Q is an entire story told through the words and actions of Q himself! If you enjoy Q you will find this story very informative, however, if you dislike Q, you may want to skip this book. It is above all else 249 pages of Q, and he never stops talking!
Ehh.. I wanted good things from this book.. but it seemed hurried and was written mostly in the first person. I like first person, but the pacing is totally offrhythm. It was so-so, but I would not recommend it personally. =)
The first time I read this book was about ten years ago, in a string of TNG books, so I sort of combined it in my mind with another Q book. Q-Squared, I think. I own that one, so I was going to reread it to see, but I discovered it's not in Q's POV so I got all disinterested.

Because I loved Q's POV. At times, for a line or two, he'd remind me of Vlad from Steven Brust's Taltos series. And some of his asides were just right-on-the-money awesome. And I loved the way Q tells a story.

I saw a review
This is a ridiculous novel.

Not because it is science fiction, but because of...actually for all kinds of reasons, but mainly because it has no idea what it wants to be.

-Is it a Star Trek: TNG novel? Perhaps in the sense that fan-fiction novels are, because that's how this reads-like 8th or 9th grade sci-fi geeks got together and wrote this in stages over their summer weekends when they had no homework to get in the way.

That means that there are references to a million and one characters from al
Decent Star Trek book primarily focused on the TNG characters of the series. This is the second Star Trek book I have read that is penned (or partially penned) by the actor who portrayed the character from the show. The book was co-authored by the great Peter David. I, Q gives a first person narrative by Q, on events and his activities as the universe is ending. Supporting characters include his wife, son, Picard, and Data. Other characters who appear include Dax, the Grand Nagus, albeit both br ...more
How did the actor who played Q on the TV show and the writer that has written several amazing Star Trek novels featuring Q come together and end up with a big pile of Q fan fiction...?

There are some good ideas and scenes here but as a whole the book staggers around, going from wildly self-indulgent to weak.
And man, these guys never met a tangent they didn't like, especially if it leads to a punchline.

Too many jokes, too much name dropping, attempts to use ST history that mostly feels tacked on,
David Grenier
Oct 02, 2013 David Grenier rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek Next Generation readers who enjoy Q
You know that feeling when you close the book slowly after finishing just to sit and revel in how great you feel because of it? That's how I felt after reading "I, Q". The characters were true to form and easy to identify simply by their interactions and personality traits. The cover reads "Q's greatest adventure, in his own words" and I certainly have to agree.

The plot is about the fight against the "End of Everything" and how Picard, Data and Q adventure to try and stop it. There's more to th
Lady Ozma
We found this audiobook on CD at a sale somewhere. I picked it up and tossed it in the pile, but it’s so hard for me to listen to audiobooks. I love them, but I swear if I even LOOK at one it’s like party time in front of me. The kids just have a sixth sense. I swear they do!

However, my blog did some fruity loops stuff yesterday and I had to clean up a bunch of code. Well that is just busy work so I figured, I could give this book a whirl. After all, it was only 3 hours. So that’s not too diffic
Claire Gilligan
Quite fun!

John de Lancie's Picard and Data impressions could use some work, but it was SO MUCH FUN to hear a story narrated from Q's point of view! It was a fun story, but for me, that wasn't the point. I just love Q's character.

Recommended for any Trek fans who enjoy Q! For bonus points, there was a nice little DS9 crossover moment.
Nov 19, 2007 Emily rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: extreme fans of Q - and no one else
Shelves: just-for-fun
This book doesn't even really deserve three stars, but I had so much fun with it! John de Lancie, the actor who played Q in a few of the Star Trek series, engages in self-absorbed (duh) first-person narrative. The book is full of rhetoric and some interesting plot "episodes," but the overarching plot can be summed up in a couple of sentences. Q makes some great observations about humanity and religion, but the novel is mostly an exercise in wordplay. The book would be better written as a short s ...more
Juli Keele
This book helped me understand the 5 stages of acceptance. Plus, it was amazing.
Had a very surprising ending I was not expecting. But pleasant.
A nice romp into the mind of Q
If you like Q, then you'll love this book.

When I started listening to this book, I was expecting a good story about Q, as only John De Lancie can tell it and that's what i got. Q's voice is captured perfectly in this audio book, Q is one of my favorite characters.

The attention to detail is what really makes the story, though, as the worlds Q visits are so populated with small, easy-to-visualize details, and it makes the fantasy world believable. (The humor helps a lot).

I would highly recommend
Andy Love
I generally enjoy Star Trek novels (and have enjoyed Peter David's work in particular), but I did not enjoy this one at all. Perhaps its focus on the character of Q is the problem - he may be a character that works better in small doses. The use of the Kubler-Ross stages of grief template made much of the plot a formula, and far too much effort was put into setting up a joke that relies on knowing that the actor who played a particular character in Star Trek is well-known for playing a part in " ...more
I really wanted to like this more than I did, but it feels kind of lackluster to me. The intro was fine, and showed promise, but when Q finally introduces himself it feels like a rushed and confused mess. It gets far better when Picard and Data shiw up, and I really enjoyed the banter between the captain and Q, which really seemed to capture both characters well. But as for the plot, and Q's random tangents, I didn't care for them. If you really like Q, then this is your book, though.
For the most part, I,Q is fairly middle-of-the-road. However, it does explore one of my favorite secondary Trek characters. The first-person point of view is interesting, but the right "voice" isn't always captured. I,Q often also tries to be a little too clever for its own good. Very much a "fluff" read, this story didn't really do a lot for me, and at times felt a lot like fan fiction rather than a true Trek novel.

Full review:
It got better as the book went on, and as most Peter David tomes do it all came together in the end, but, some of the prose put on the page while getting to the end was confusing or hard to read. I get why the book had to sound like Q, but, Q doesn't exactly translate well onto the page apparently, at least not in this book. I thought that Peter David has written Q much better in his other books.
3.5 A fun read because reading something in the voice of John De Lancie in the role of Q can't possibly help but be fun to read. A bit heavy handed in its theological musings, but they don't detract too much from he joy of the ride itself. When you get to end and notice what year it was first published, even that suddenly makes a great deal of sense.
I enjoyed the plot well enough, but the problem with a book with a first-person perspective is you have to enjoy the person's thoughts. Q is one of my favorite characters, but de Lancie has him going off on long tangents and unrelated stories, and eventually you just want him to get to the point. Still, I enjoyed it despite it's faults.
Since this is de Lancie, perhaps it is not suprising that it captures the voice of Q so well. Star Trek novels are a not-so-secret pleasure of mine and this one escaped me for some time. Really loved the mini-homage to the Princess Bride. But it makes me want to go back and catch those episodes of Voyager I don't remember very well.
A story told entirely by Q, always his point of view on the proceedings. The universe is going to end and Q does not like it. The story is decent but there does not seem to be a real danger at any point. Maybe it's because the character of Q refuses to think of himself as fallible. A good read but I suspect its better on audio.
May 18, 2013 Joshua rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Science Fiction Fans
Recommended to Joshua by: My ex-girlfriend
After a full recovery from my Q-nauseam. I picked up this gem by John de Lancie and Peter David. Not sure if it's the only Q-book they wrote alone or as a team? Also not sure if it was just that I was burnt-out on Q. Either way the results were excellent! I loved it!
Lots of fun when Q is around! Q is experiencing a personal tradgedy; the end of the universe. What else can I say? My favorite part though, had to be when DATA yelled at everyone to shut up... but you'll have to read this for yourself to see why that was even worth mentioning!
Lots of fun, but really, considering it was *Q* off on an adventure with Picard and Data, cowritten by Peter David and John de Lancie--well, it wasn't nearly as awesome as I'd hoped it would be. Still, definitely worth a look if you like that sort of thing.
An interesting look at the end of the universe from the point of view of one of it's most powerful inhabitants. I think the book captures the character of Q in a way that most other novels that I've read that use the character fail to do.
  • Q-Strike (Star Trek: The Next Generation #49; The Q Continuum, #3)
  • Q-Squared
  • All Good Things...
  • A Time to Sow (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Dark Mirror (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Q & A (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • A Time to Be Born (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Time, #1)
  • Federation
  • Possession (Star Trek: The Next Generation #40)
  • Vectors (Star Trek: Double Helix #2)
  • Preserver (Star Trek: The Mirror Universe Trilogy, #3)
  • A Time to Kill (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1 - 10 of 102 books)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next  Generation, #3)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)