Start by marking “Imbalance (Star Trek: The Next Generation #22)” as Want to Read:
Imbalance (Star Trek: The Next Generation #22)

Imbalance (Star Trek: The Next Generation #22)

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  478 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The Jarada are a mysterious race of insectoid beings with an extreme devotion to protocol. When this usually reclusive race offer to open diplomatic relations with the Federation, Captain Picard and the U.S.S. Enterprise are quickly ordered to Jarada to negotiate the exchange of Ambassadors.

When the ship arrives, the Jarada seem uncharacteristically friendly. They invite P
Published June 1st 1992 by Pocket Books/Star Trek

To ask other readers questions about Imbalance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Imbalance

Toastlover
These days when I see a Star Trek novel at a used book sale, I pick it up (if I don't remember having read it as a kid) for nostalgia sake. I have read a diverse enough selection of fiction at this point in my life that I do not anticipate that these novels be anything more than mildly entertaining and comfortingly familiar. A reminder of my geeky childhood before I knew the difference between fan fiction and "real books." Most of the time, I find exactly what I expect.

In the case of "Imbalance
Nicholas
There's a danger to reading older TNG novels, especially ones involving secondary characters that were fleshed out further during the show's later seasons (or in subsequent series). Often, the depictions that authors paint of these characters doesn't line up with the characters as we've come to know them and the entire book itself loses a lot of luster accordingly.

I bring this up because of a lot of V.E. Mitchell's book revolves around a meandering and poorly integrated subplot involving the rec
Craig
I think I enjoyed these novels more as a kid...now they are kind of dull or weird. This one was on the more boring side and I feel the author didn't have a great grasp of the characters. Many felt very different from the ones we knew on the show. Plus the whole keiko/miles thing throughout the book was just annoying. And it went on at parts and then just suddenly wrapped up very quickly. Not the best Star Trek novel.
Isabel
apparently this is almost completely unreadable past the age of 14 or so. it gets its second star because i'm so familiar with it that it's an effective "comfort read" to fill up some time before i'm ready to go to sleep.

most notably, the characters are totally flat except for where they're fleshed out by national stereotypes (which is ridiculous because THERE ARE ALIENS, so who gives a crap if you grew up in a "traditional irish family"). i will refrain from a discussion of gender dynamics and
Daniel Kukwa
I wanted to give this four stars -- for the most part, it's classic TNG-era storytelling, with a bit of bite. Nicely written action, a solid handle on the regular cast, and an engaging storyline about a reclusive race. There's even an unexpectedly poetic turn of phrase every now and again...

However, O'Brien & Keiko are depicted as far too shrill & cliched for their own good. Their backgrounds have always influenced their characters, but turning one into a macho-thick-obnoxious Irish whin
Katie Buerk
Got to love those Crusher saves the day books.
Camille
So slow... so painfully slow.
Angela
This is a very good TNG novel, a team based one. The Enterprise are called to a world inhabited by ant like creatures to forge a treaty. Keiko, Worf, Crusher and Riker go on cultural tours of the world. Things go wrong and a mystery has to be solved. The alien race is truely different, and there is a sense of danger throughout the book. It was nice that Keiko was involved with the plot, and was just as important as the other members of the away team. Well worth a read if you like the show.
Denise Link
Sometimes you just want to read something familiar and undemanding. This fit that bill, but the O'Brien/Keiko subplot did not resonate with the characters I remember, so that was jarring. Where did THAT come from? And the medical issues in the plot--they solve a worldwide deficiency in some random trace elements, but a few scrapes and bruises are a huge danger? And don't get me started on the whole medical "issue" with Keiko. No, sorry. Can't recommend this one.
Richard Evey jr.
Competently written, with a story equal to many from the show itself. Liked the continuity nods without overdoing it. Insects aliens are a good choice for the novels since they're almost impossible to pull off well in live action works.
Jim Morrison
I admit to start off, I'm not a big fan of insectoid beings. I don't know if that was it or the quality of the writing in general, but I didn't think this one was as good as other Star Trek books I have read lately.
Benjamin Plume
Not bad. I did enjoy especially the swapping perspectives as each crew member picked up a piece of the puzzle once they were separated.
Sphinx Feathers
I picked this up because I enjoyed it a lot in previous years. It's not as good as I remember, but I still love the characters.
Emese
Jan 16, 2008 Emese rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: scifi
Odd species to feature, but thumbs up for the amount of Dr Crusher. The O'Brien's are featured in this novel.
Mike Grady
An engaging read. One of the better in the series.
Stephen Hinton
It was a good quick read. I have always like TNG
Bill
Fairly typical TNG book. Nothing to "write home about." Sorry... :)
Jpp
Jpp added it
Nov 25, 2014
Meaghan
Meaghan marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Gil Forant
Gil Forant marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Tokeli
Tokeli marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
  • Boogeymen (Star Trek: The Next Generation #17)
  • Exiles (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #14)
  • Contamination (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #16)
  • Spartacus (Star Trek: The Next Generation #20)
  • Doomsday World (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #12)
  • Chains of Command (Star Trek: The Next Generation #21)
  • The Romulan Prize (Star Trek: The Next Generation #26)
  • Fortune's Light (Star Trek: The Next Generation #15)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • Guises of the Mind (Star Trek: The Next Generation #27)
  • Foreign Foes (Star Trek: The Next Generation #31)
  • Here There Be Dragons (Star Trek: The Next Generation #28)
  • Debtors' Planet (Star Trek: The Next Generation #30)
  • Grounded (Star Trek: The Next Generation #25)
  • Possession (Star Trek: The Next Generation #40)
  • The Romulan Stratagem (Star Trek The Next Generation,#35)
  • Gulliver's Fugitives (Star Trek Next Generation #11)
  • A Rock and a Hard Place (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #10)
Enemy Unseen Windows on a Lost World Atlantis Station The Tale of the Bad Tempered Ghost (Are You Afraid of the Dark, #15) Pool Party Panic! (The Secret World of Alex Mack, #28)