Start by marking “Chains of Command (Star Trek: The Next Generation #21)” as Want to Read:
Chains of Command (Star Trek: The Next Generation #21)

Chains of Command (Star Trek: The Next Generation #21)

While exploring a group of devastated class-M planets in a remote sector of space, the crew of the U.S.S. "Enterprise (TM) " is shocked to discover a group of human slaves on a forbidding, glacial world. When the slaves revolt against their human overseers, Captain Picard and his crew sympathize with the slaves plight but cannot interfere in the conflict. After the revolt ...more
Published April 1st 1992 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Chains of Command, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chains of Command

Mikael Kuoppala
May 17, 2012 Mikael Kuoppala rated it liked it
Once again we have one of those As-Mediocore-As-You-Can-Get kinds of books, with lots of potential and a less than satisfactory execution.

Like so many other Trek books, this one- taking place in the post-Wesley phase of the fourth season- is about an ethical dilemma. There is a very low risk in that kind of story, since people rarely grow tired of ethical problems, like we do of so many other things.

It doesn't work that way in this novel, though, since the ethical questions concerning slavery a
Vismay
Sep 20, 2012 Vismay rated it did not like it

I admit that I completed it in bits and pieces. Not only my laxity, but the utter “clichéd-ness” of ‘Star Trek (Next Generation) - Chains of Command’, was at play. Having read countless of such Star Trek books with similar premises, I must say it was quite boring. Even the fight sequences were few and far between.
I have been busy for the last couple of days, so I haven’t been able to boast for myself a major feat in the annals of reading- what I have accomplished is the completion of ‘Chains of
The Fza
Jul 14, 2016 The Fza rated it did not like it
1.5 Stars

A decent story, though not written very well. Riker and a few others are replaced by what I like to call : Plot Pawns. But I digress...

If you can forgive the bad there is some good here... might have even made a good plot for an episode. Recommended only to the forgiving fanatics.
Judith Paterson
Feb 11, 2016 Judith Paterson rated it really liked it
I'm never quite sure why some Star trek novels are just ok and others grab me and I feel there's a bit more to them. The characters are all the same core of people and many of the situations are similar.
This is one of the later; lots happens and it paints the protagonists with a few more shades of light and dark.
Camille
Sep 06, 2014 Camille rated it it was ok
This one was a snooze-fest. Chickens!?
Clait
Jun 01, 2012 Clait rated it liked it
Pretty good TNG book involving a very interesting and highly intelligent species of avian aliens known as the Tseetsk which have been holding an unknown colony of humans as slaves for generations. A slave revolt quickly involves the Enterprise crew in a brewing war. The best part of this book is the exploration of the Tseetsk's biology, culture, and mysterious past.
Kristen
Jan 11, 2014 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek, 2014
Meh. Not as good as I remembered. But it was a slow day at work one day last week, so I was glad for it.
Angela
Another slavery themed book, odd that its straight after 'Spartacus'. The writing style takes a bit of getting used to, the aliens are well done. The humans, well, those do seem a bit standard slave characters. An ok read.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 Benjamin Plume rated it really liked it
Pretty good generic Trek plotline. The title is somewhat misleading, though it turns out to be appropriate.
Kayla
Nov 21, 2012 Kayla rated it really liked it
Another fascinating challenge to the Prime Directive and the philosophy of non-interference.
Justin
Jun 20, 2010 Justin rated it it was ok
meh, it was ok. Felt like a tv episode that wasn't quite good enough to make it to screen.
GARETH J. BOWLEY
GARETH J. BOWLEY rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Gary
Gary rated it it was ok
Sep 09, 2016
Anthony Tew
Anthony Tew rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2016
Sheila
Sheila rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Kathy Joy
Kathy Joy marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Ruthie
Ruthie marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Brandon
Brandon is currently reading it
Aug 29, 2016
Crystal Hill
Crystal Hill rated it it was ok
Aug 24, 2016
Hilary
Hilary marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Brian Barnett
Brian Barnett marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Cf Bowers
Cf Bowers rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2016
Desply
Desply marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Paul Ranson
Paul Ranson rated it it was ok
Aug 10, 2016
  • Imbalance (Star Trek: The Next Generation #22)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • Contamination (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #16)
  • Fortune's Light (Star Trek: The Next Generation #15)
  • Perchance to Dream (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #19)
  • The Romulan Stratagem (Star Trek The Next Generation,#35)
  • The Romulan Prize (Star Trek: The Next Generation #26)
  • Doomsday World (Star Trek: The Next Generation #12)
  • Gulliver's Fugitives (Star Trek Next Generation #11)
  • Boogeymen (Star Trek: The Next Generation #17)
  • Sins of Commission (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #29)
  • Foreign Foes (Star Trek: The Next Generation #31)
  • Guises of the Mind (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #27)
  • Balance of Power (Star Trek: The Next Generation #33)
  • Debtors' Planet (Star Trek: The Next Generation #30)
  • The Eyes of the Beholders (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #13)
  • Grounded (Star Trek: The Next Generation #25)
  • Spartacus (Star Trek: The Next Generation #20)
Under a variety of pseudonyms as well as his own name, Bill McCay is the author of more than seventy books, including such series as the Race Against Time, The Three Investigators, Young Indiana Jones, and Tom Clancy's Net Force. He has also worked with Stan Lee on Riftworld, a science fiction comedy-adventure set in the comics business. McCay has also written five novels based on the film Stargat ...more
More about Bill McCay...

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1 - 10 of 103 books)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next Generation #3)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)