Start by marking “Perchance to Dream (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #19)” as Want to Read:
Perchance to Dream (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #19)
Preview

Perchance to Dream (Star Trek: The Next Generation #19)

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  627 ratings  ·  14 reviews
On a routine mission to survey Domarus IV -- a class M world with no intelligent life -- a U.S.S. EnterpriseTM shuttle crewed by Data, Troi and Wesley Crusher is captured by a race called the Tenirans who claim the world for themselves. As Captain Picard tries to negotiate with the captain of the Teniran ship, the shuttle suddenly disappears in a blaze of color and light.

P
Published December 1st 1991 by Pocket Books (first published 1991)

Shadowshock
Feb 08, 2012 Shadowshock rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Star Trek Fans?
Shelves: star-trek-novels
I honestly didn't read through this whole book. I stopped at about a third of the way through, mainly because it didn't catch my interest and some characters kept getting "dropped" from the scene. Case in point, early on (like in chapter two or three) one of Enterprise's shuttle craft is caught in a tractor beam that is too strong. We get reactions from Wesley, Ken and Data. But Deanne Troi and Gina were also suppose to be on board yet they are entirely silent until the next scene several pages ...more
Kathleen Jerome
An easy and entertaining read. Very much like an episode of TNG, 2 plot lines get weaved together, a new species is discovered and communicated with, new alliances were forged where there could have been battle, and all was neatly wrapped up in the end. Just a little formulaic, but is a formula I have grown to love. I thought Weinstein did a good job at creating another new and radically different life form for us to ponder while maintaining the essence of the characters we already know and love ...more
David
This is a quick and pleasant Next Gen read. It does not involve nearly as much intruige or complication as other such novels, but is a fast entertaining story. It allows us to get to know the characters better and it handles them quite well. It is also interesting to see a story with this much of a focus on Wesley Crusher, who is kind of a neglected character. The title is sort of ambiguous and seems somewhat arbitrarily applied, however, and does not seem to have much relevance to the story at ...more
Camille
Adrian Zachow
No better nor worse than your standard episode.
Leslie
Good story. I imagine that ensemble casts must be utterly difficult to write though. Rather than sticking with a select few characters and focusing the story on them, Weinstein has used every character and even added a few more. I felt that most of them were only present as window dressing. Secondly, I felt the resolution was just a bit too smooth and ultimately unsatisfying. Still, as far as Star Trek stories go, it was still a fun story.
Allison Walsh
Fantastic book.
Angela
A good read, very much a team based adventure. It feels exactly like a TV episode, I'm not sure why it's called 'Perchance to Dream' though. A ship is searching for a planet to colonise, and runs into the Enterprise at an ideal planet. The planet may have occupants already and this causes friction between the two crews.
Leeps
Another Class M uninhabited planet with plant life and even fish sets the stage for this slow moving drudgery. A few sparks early failed to materialize into anything rewarding for the reader and the predictable ending could have saved half the book for a twist or two. It had Star Trek on the cover I had to read it.
Daniel Kukwa
An uneventful TNG entry, made much more palatable thanks to the Howard Weinstein's easy grasp of the characters, and through mixing things up by featuring the rare combination of Data & Troi as the highlighted Enterprise crew members. An easy, if undemanding, way to pass an afternoon.
Phillip
This was a pretty decent TNG story. The author got the characters pretty much down, was able to keep an A and B story going, and made it all interesting. I think there were some parts that were a little long, but overall it's a definite recommend.
Kayla
I love the way ST authors contemplate other ways of being and thinking. It's just far enough from reality to challenge and entertain me.
Barbara
Weak story with a weak Troi. Also one of the alien races is almost invisible in the book even though they play a major part.
A
Apr 17, 2010 A rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: star-trek
It was fine? That's about all I can say. It was something to do on a weekend, but not much more.
Corey
Corey marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
George Goode
George Goode marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Pat
Pat added it
Mar 30, 2015
Keith
Keith added it
Mar 29, 2015
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Caprice Procarione
Caprice Procarione marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Odis
Odis marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
  • Boogeymen (Star Trek: The Next Generation #17)
  • Contamination (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #16)
  • Fortune's Light (Star Trek: The Next Generation #15)
  • Spartacus (Star Trek: The Next Generation #20)
  • Grounded (Star Trek: The Next Generation #25)
  • Gulliver's Fugitives (Star Trek Next Generation #11)
  • Here There Be Dragons (Star Trek: The Next Generation #28)
  • A Rock and a Hard Place (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #10)
  • Doomsday World (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #12)
  • Imbalance (Star Trek: The Next Generation #22)
  • The Eyes of the Beholders (Star Trek The Next Generation, #13)
  • The Romulan Prize (Star Trek: The Next Generation #26)
  • Chains of Command (Star Trek: The Next Generation #21)
  • Guises of the Mind (Star Trek: The Next Generation #27)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • Nightshade (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #24)
  • Debtors' Planet (Star Trek: The Next Generation #30)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1 - 10 of 101 books)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next  Generation, #3)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)
Exiles (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #14) Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6) The Covenant of the Crown Deep Domain The Better Man