Start by marking “Fortune's Light (Star Trek: The Next Generation #15)” as Want to Read:
Fortune's Light (Star Trek: The Next Generation #15)

Fortune's Light (Star Trek: The Next Generation #15)

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  487 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Dante Maxima Seven -- a world known to its inhabitants as Imprima. A world where Madragi -- huge social/economic entities wealthy beyond compare -- control the fate of millions...

Years ago, William Riker was part of the Starfleet delegation that opened Imprima to the Federation. Now the disappearance of an old friend -- Teller Conlon, who also served on that team -- draws
Mass Market Paperback, 278 pages
Published January 1st 1991 by Pocket Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Fortune's Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fortune's Light

Ibis3
So-so. There were definite problems with adherence to the canon in both the A plot (before the first season of TNG, the Federation didn't know much about the Ferengi and had never seen them) and the B plot (people at the beginning of the 21st century in the Trek universe were busy fighting and recovering from the Eugenics Wars to be playing baseball, right?). I found the state of women's equality to be somewhat lacking for being several hundred years in the future instead of the author's time of ...more
Anni
Not a very good reading. The A-story isn't so bad, especially at the end it picks up the speed, and becomes fairly ok, but the B-story was pointless and boring. I couldn't care less about detailed description of baseball, an American game which I know very little about and don't care about at all. If it was some Data character moment to show sow growth, it failed to deliver.
Martijn Hartman-maatman
Another story that promises much, but delivers none. Some lame story about an object that is stolen and recovered, mixed in with a LOT of baseball crap. Definitely not what I would expect from a syfy novel.
Joey Slawinski
The story is a good one. There is a Data b-story, however, which didn't really fit in with the a-story at all. It was a interesting diversion, but every time one of those chapters came up I kept wishing it would get back to the real story. I also found that Mr. Friedman got some of the vernacular wrong, especially in the holodeck scenes.
Angela
I read only half this book and just had to stop reading. It's quite bad. Riker goes on a detective journey to find an old friend, while Data discovers Baseball. The Riker storyline - well, not that much happens in the first 100 pages, and its quite boring. The Data storyline, I really didn't care about at all, I think you'd have to be a fan to enjoy it. Shame really, I've liked this writers other books.
Daniel Kukwa
Another harmless, pleasant read from the TNG universe...although this one has the added pleasure of introducing the obsession some characters in the "Star Trek" universe have with the nearly "extinct" game of baseball. It would take DS9 to truly milk this trait for all its worth, but Michael Jan Friedman handles it rather sweetly in this novel.
Mish
I was quite into Star Trek Next Gen when I read this, but is was so incredibly poorly written and the plot so bad it just didn't do it for me, even for a fan willing to overlook some flaws to get a dose of a favourite show.
Devero
Una storia tutto sommato debole, che utilizza il "Guardiano dell'Eternità" per mettere una pezza ad una trama abbastanza improbabile ruotante attorno a Riker, a Deanna Troy e Worf, con salti temporali.
Camille
Riker goes on a secret mission to save an old friend's reputation and Data learns about baseball. Meh.

By the way, the author of this novel is Michael Jan Friedman not T.L. Mancour.
Jeff
Feb 04, 2008 Jeff added it
I read all these "Next Generation" books in middle school/early high school. Even then I thought most of them were pretty bad. But I'm a completist so they must be included in my book list!
Bradley
Average fare for Next Gen novel. It was an engaging read but left me wanting for more. The baseball thread was boring. Only amusing for a rabid Trekkie I suppose.
Matt
Amazing Data storyline. If you're a fan of his journeys towards humanity, you'll probably enjoy this.
Neal
Neal marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Paul
Paul added it
Feb 13, 2015
Cyberiouse
Cyberiouse marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Aron
Aron marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • Boogeymen (Star Trek: The Next Generation #17)
  • Spartacus (Star Trek: The Next Generation #20)
  • Contamination (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #16)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next  Generation, #3)
  • Imbalance (Star Trek: The Next Generation #22)
  • Gulliver's Fugitives (Star Trek Next Generation #11)
  • Chains of Command (Star Trek: The Next Generation #21)
  • Into the Nebula (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #36)
  • Foreign Foes (Star Trek: The Next Generation #31)
  • Debtors' Planet (Star Trek: The Next Generation #30)
  • Grounded (Star Trek: The Next Generation #25)
  • The Romulan Prize (Star Trek: The Next Generation #26)
  • Possession (Star Trek: The Next Generation #40)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Nightshade (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #24)
Michael Jan Friedman is an author of more than seventy books of fiction and nonfiction, half of which are in the Star Trek universe. Eleven of his titles have appeared on the New York Times Best Seller list. Friedman has also written for network and cable television and radio, and scripted nearly 200 comic books, including his original DC superhero series, the Darkstars.
More about Michael Jan Friedman...

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1 - 10 of 101 books)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next  Generation, #3)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)
All Good Things... Reunion (Star Trek: The Next Generation) Star Trek: The Next Generation: Crossover Planet X (Star Trek: The Next Generation) Death in Winter (Star Trek The Next Generation)