A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)

A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)

3.2 of 5 stars 3.20  ·  rating details  ·  522 ratings  ·  21 reviews
The EnterpriseTM discovers a lifeless Federation research vessel orbiting a planet hidden behind a mysterious energy shield. Despite the objections of his senior officers, Captain Picard and an away team beam over in search of the missing crew, and they vanish as well. Riker assumes command, and soon he discovers another problem besides the disappearance of his captain for...more
Mass Market Paperback, 274 pages
Published May 1st 1991 by Pocket Books (first published 1989)

Stephen
Another satisfactory installment in the Star Trek TNG saga. This one makes good use of Worf and to lesser degrees Dr. Pulaski and Geordi to tell a tale about a world that has devolved into a gladiator entertainment centered society.

The story does raise some interesting issues about what develops strength of character and how a society that is decimated by an alien conflict might be psychologically scarred for generations. It doesn't make much use of the Star Trek mythos other than borrowing a f...more
Kati
A ST:TNG tie-in. Boring. The characters behaved very out of character compared to their TV-selves and the story just dragged on and on and on. Maybe if this was a short story, it would have worked, but as it was - nope, not really. Too many characters in peril meant too many scenes with just one crew member doing... something... to show that he was in peril. I know that the author probably thought the book needed some world-building but it felt mostly tiresome. I even skipped a page here or ther...more
J.W. Braun
This is one of my favorite Star Trek books. It goes beyond the television series and delivers a story that could only be told in a novel format.
Daniel Kukwa
The opposite of everything "The Children of Hamlin" manages to be: it's dull, tedious, and a chore to finish. The TNG cast veers between bland and almost unrecognizable.
Travis
One those 'mysterious alien illness' stories, but an entertaining one.
Chris
Better than some of the Star Trek books that I have read. The only thing I didn't really care for was that it took too long to get into the main story. Chapter 2 was about recreational activities that the main characters enjoy and I wanted to get to the main plot.
Martijn Hartman-maatman
Not bad, but the whole war thing was a bit too much for me. Story was full of holes, jumped all over the place and suddenly ended without any reason.
Camille
The Enterprise is searching for a lost vessel. The Enterprise finds the vessel without its crew. An away-team beams down to investigate. The away-team (which includes Captain Picard much to Riker's disapproval) disappears. We find out a planet is stealing the crew of ships which come in its orbit in a Hunger Games (good book by the way) like situation to continue a faltering war but keeps its "lower caste" population entertained. I think my description sounds a lot more entertaining than the act...more
Colin Ager
As a fan of Star Trek I want to read anything and everything that is written around Star Trek. As with most books it has started off well. From the first page of the book you are hooked and feel as if you are there, while reading the book you can imagine, all of the crews voices, and some of things and reactions they do, and that's a sign of a good book, as the author knows that fans of the TV series knows the personality's of all the Star Trek crew, so the author does have to stay in Character....more
Barbara
The story was alright but it could have been any characters, it was not very Star Trek at all. In fact for almost all of the book the characters didn't know who they were so they really didn't act like themselves. It was ok as a bit of light sci fi drama but disappointing if you are expecting something that could have been a show story.
Jami Leigh
Plot: 3stars
Characters: 3 stars
Style: 2 stars
Pace: 2 stars

Again with the massive amounts of head hopping. I think I'm going to read one of the ones I remember liking as a teenager and see if it's just as bad. Might not actually read a bunch of these after all.
Thomas Melnik
Michael Jan Friedman is the best Star Trek novel author.

I enjoyed the world he created for this novel. The known-character utilization was ingenious in this particular Star Trek novel. It was a fun read.
Lovisa
It was pretty ok, enjoyable but somehow it lacked substance. The original character Dan’nor was very interesting, the author could have done alot more with him. Overall a nice story.
Jeff
I read all these "Next Generation" books in middle school/early high school. Even then I thought most of them were pretty bad. But I'm a completist so they must be included in my book list!
Angela
An ok story. Some characters did seem a bit disjointed compared to the TV stories. The world iswas set in was well done, and intriguing. But as a Star Trek book it disappointed.
Maj
Probably he worst Trek book I've read so far. But still serves the purpose...so if you decide to read it, you'll survive. :)
Peggy Boyd
This was just to relax while school is out :)
Eric Elems
A straightforward TNG adventure.
Carmen
Star Trek TNG. Nuff' said.
JJ
JJ marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
John
John added it
Jul 20, 2014
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • Contamination (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #16)
  • Gulliver's Fugitives (Star Trek Next Generation #11)
  • Doomsday World (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #12)
  • Boogeymen (Star Trek: The Next Generation #17)
  • Chains of Command (Star Trek: The Next Generation #21)
  • Spartacus (Star Trek: The Next Generation #20)
  • A Rock and a Hard Place (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #10)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • Debtors' Planet (Star Trek: The Next Generation #30)
  • The Romulan Prize (Star Trek: The Next Generation #26)
  • The Eyes of the Beholders (Star Trek The Next Generation, #13)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Grounded (Star Trek: The Next Generation #25)
  • Here There Be Dragons (Star Trek: The Next Generation #28)
  • Imbalance (Star Trek: The Next Generation #22)
  • Foreign Foes (Star Trek: The Next Generation #31)
Michael Jan Friedman is an author of nearly sixty books of fiction and nonfiction, more than half of which are in the Star Trek universe. Ten of his titles have appeared on the New York Times Best Seller list. Friedman has also written for network and cable television, radio, more than 150 comic books, most of them for DC Comics, for whom he created the Darkstars.
More about Michael Jan Friedman...
All Good Things... Reunion (Star Trek: The Next Generation) Planet X (Star Trek: The Next Generation) Star Trek: The Next Generation: Crossover Death in Winter (Star Trek The Next Generation)