Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)

Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation #4)

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  926 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Treva is an isolated human colony on the fringes of known space on the verge of becoming a true interstellar community, a full fledged menber of the Federation. But now the U.S.S. Enterprise has received a distress signal for Treva is in the throes of a violent revolution, a revolution led by a merciless warlord who has committed countless atrocities in the name of freedom...more
Published March 15th 1991 by Pocket Books (first published 1989)

Imzadi by Peter DavidSpock's World by Diane DuaneUhura's Song by Janet KaganYesterday's Son by A.C. CrispinEnterprise by Vonda N. McIntyre
Best Star Trek Books
31st out of 217 books — 148 voters
Gods of Night by David MackZero Sum Game by David MackCaretaker by L.A. GrafQ-In-Law by Peter DavidSurvivors by Jean Lorrah
Star Trek Novels
5th out of 36 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Sath
The ruler of a non-federation planet requests starfleet intervention in a civil uprising, Tasha Yar and Data get sent on their own to see whats what. As usual things are not to to be taken at face value.

I knew I'd like this book from the outset, because who can deny that Tasha and Data were two of the most interesting characters on TNG. And that we never saw enough of Tasha, and that we could never have enough of Data.

Of course theres always the impending doom hanging over this book, as I knew...more
alissa
I liked Tasha Yar well enough on the show but actually came away from this book caring a lot less about her, which I'm pretty sure wasn't the point. I found her 'traumatising' backstory quite boring and her later relationship with 'Dare' quite silly and thought she behaved inappropriately for most of the book.

I also thought the characterisation of Data was a bit much and that the author may have overstretched his emotional capabilities for the period.

It was still an entertaining book but It didn...more
Rebecca  Porter
Carolyn Snow
Mikael Kuoppala
A nice try at illuminating Tasha Yar's character, but the overall feel of the prose is somehow quite amateurish.
Reinhold
Himmelhochjauchzend zu Tode betrübt

Dieses Buch zu beurteilen ist eine sehr ambivalente Sache. Besonders hervorzuheben ist z.B. dass es eine sehr interessante Darstellung von Tasha Yars Vergangenheit gibt, die sich sonst nirgendwo findet. Aus der Serie kennt man, dass Tashas Kindheit und Jugend nicht besonders rosig war, aber diese Darstellung geht weit darüber hinaus und ist auch sehr gut gelungen.

Dafür erlaubt sich Jean Lorrah einen Fault Pas sondergleichen im Aufbau des Plots. Zunächst wird ei...more
Jason
In honor of the 25th anniversary, of what would be my all time favorite show if it were not for The X-Files,Star Trek the Next Generation is coming to Blu-Ray totally redone. Having read most of the novels over two decades ago, I thought that I would write my general feel for the serial STNG novels. I could never do a real review now, other than to say that I loved them.

Star Trek the Next Generation was both my favorite science fiction series in college, and also my favorite serial novel. I was...more
Heidi
Jul 02, 2012 Heidi rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: die-hard TNG and Data fans, fans of Tasha Yar (Do they really exist?)
Shelves: ebook, star-trek, reviewed
Slight tendency towards 2.5 stars

The only reason I read this book was the follow-up novel Metamorphosis which uses characters from and refers to events in this one.

My expectations were low. It was my first Star Trek TNG fan fiction book, and for all my Data love I wasn't sure whether I could handle a plot that focuses on Tasha Yar, one of my most disliked characters in television history. All tough, almost 'masculine' in a ridiculously clichéd way and kick-arse on the outside, she dreams of bein...more
Sean Randall
Athena Braun
Apr 30, 2009 Athena Braun rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans
This book fills you in on the backstory of Tasha Yar. How rough was her life before? How did she get rescued? All these questions and more are answered. I really didn't like this character before reading this book. There just wasn't enough information about her. I'll admit though I still got teary eyed hearing her farewell message and Data's confusion to Capt. Picard. It also fills you in a little bit about what happened after Tasha and Data's tryst. All of this and there's a second story. Data...more
Bernard
I picked up this book because I'd read Lorrah's Metamorphosis, the first Star Trek The Next Generation "Giant Novel" (of which there were only two, before they switched to hardcover format for "bigger" books), and then subsequently learned that some of the characters in that book debuted in her earlier novel, Survivors, the fourth numbered Pocket Books novel from 1989. Wow, what a wonderful story. Lorrah really groks Tasha Yar. With Yar's sad exit during the first season of Star Trek The Next Ge...more
Mr. Koop
Underwhelming and mediocre at best. I also found it quite jarring how the author just jammed Tasha's death into the last chapter, as if she couldn't find a better place to place it in correlation with the tv episode. All--in-all, a bummer.
Jim Morrison
I seem to like Jean Lorrah's writing style and understanding of the Star Trek characters. The story has a nice pace that held my interest and more. I love the way Lorrah writes about the nuances of philosophy. Human morals and feelings are examined by Mr. Data using reason in a way that is rare and wonderful. Just when I thought the story was over Chapter 12 appeared with another good dose of well written dialogue and analysis of our fundamental beliefs. "No, Number One," Picard said calmly, "yo...more
Elizabeth
This was my favorite Star Trek novel as a teenager, and in rereading it two decades later I can see why. It gives a compelling backstory for Tasha Yar, an underused TNG character, and expands her relationship to Data (albeit in rather silly ways). It's a pasionate story of a woman overcoming a terrible childhood and moving on to find love and adventure. I can see why my teenaged self loved it.

It's also terribly written, with a contrived plot and characters straight out of bodice ripperromances....more
Ryan
May 23, 2012 Ryan rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Masochists, People Who Don't Understand How Real Humans Interact
The writing of this book is painfully awkward and repetitive. When two female characters are introduce one is described as "neither pretty nor beautiful" while the other is first "stunning" and then suddenly "not beautiful, hardly even pretty." I don't know how this woman has published books.

The ending is worthwhile...almost. The last chapter has Data reflecting on Yar's death. It is fairly well written. And then the author ruins it with some totally inappropriate and out-of-character line from...more
Chris
I did learn about Tasha's past, but it seemed boring and a somewhat unrelated to the story line. Also even though it was mentioned that Data doesn't have feelings; it seemed like he did have feelings during several points in the book. If you are a fan of the series skip this book.
Martijn Hartman-maatman
The whole Tasha story deserved a better ending, but this was not it. Aiding rebels? Going against everything they believe in and still do it? Not one of the best stories for sure.
J.
I very much enjoyed the story in this one, which also makes me think that I was right all those years ago that Tasha should have had more airtime. The part that was hard for me to read was the excessively long chapters with very few breaks. It was very hard to find a place to stop that didn't seem to be mid-paragraph, which I found very frustrating. Also, there was a little abuse of Data in a deus ex machina sense. Over all, I enjoyed it, especially the back story for Tasha.
Daniel Shaw-cosman
Decent. A very interesting history/back story for Tasha Yar. Interesting enough to keep me engaged.
Sadie
Well, it's not terrible. If you like Star Trek for techno-babble, though, this one is not for you. I didn't feel like the relationship between Tasha and Dare was any good. It was more often than not annoying. It didn't have the sort of characterization that really grabbed me at all, not like the show, or other novels. Like I said, it wasn't the worst Star Trek novel I've read, but I was glad to be done with it, and on to better things.
Maj
Not very well written and the story itself wasn't very interesting, also could have done without Tasha's backstory involving a love interest. But at the same time...there was plenty of Data (even if his character here was not entirely consistent with his character on the show at this point) and getting to know more about Tasha was great. Also the last chapter sure has an emotional punch. So all in all, it was not a bad read.
Brett
By far the best of these early STTNG novels to date. It was interesting to get the back story on the short lived character of Tasha. This book had a nice flow between past and present. The duo of Tasha and Data that were featured in the book worked well together and I think the author got the tone of the characters faithful to their development in the TV series at this point in time. Well worth the read by an STTNG fans.
Daniel Kukwa
For anyone who thought that Tasha Yar was a first season TNG cipher needs to read this novel, which sheds new light on the character...and shows the potential that could have been tapped. Some of her background details are slightly set aside by future TV episodes...but in general, "Survivors" remains very compatible with what we get on TV...and a very emotional, dramatic read.
Fredward Alexandru
I did not finish this book. I got about 2/3 of the way through before I had enough. The plot, in theory, is a pretty solid idea, but the execution didn't work for me. It was also more graphic than I expected, which wasn't a bad thing at all but it was a surprise for something out of the Trek universe. It is a must-read for fans of Tasha Yar.
Sinda Quietus
I really liked this book. The only thing I wasn't that much of a fan about is that I expected it to have a bit more depth into the Data/Tasha thing that's been hovering around. On the plus side, it really gave a lot of background to (Na)Tasha Yar. (I'm still not sure if she should be called Tasha or Natasha.)
Lovisa
Very nice! Both Data and Yar are interesting and believable in this story, and it blew my socks of just a little bit. Warning for some quite strong material though.
(view spoiler)
Camille
Mar 24, 2010 Camille rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: TNG fans
A Tasha Yar story! The novel goes into great detail on Tasha Yar's background which the television show discussed on occasion (the infamous rape gangs on her planet). We also learn how Tasha was saved by Starfleet. The plot was pretty good and I consider this a must read for all TNG fans.
David Sanz
Otra novela de Star Trek Next Generation... pero esta es bastante buena...
La autora habla de lo que nos interesa a los trekkies quizás porque ella también lo es... Data buscando su humanidad... el origen de Tasha Yar... su muerte... en definitiva... que me dejó un buen sabor de boca.
Felicia
I'm not surprised that this book was so good, as the author also wrote "The Vulcan Academy Murders" and "The IDIC Epidemic", both of which were fantastic. Of course, this wasn't "Spock's World" or "Federation", but it still is a must read for Star Trek fans.
Travis
Another of those early Trek books that might have made a good episode, but didn't really grab me as a book.
Any books dealing with the Tasha/Data relationship tended to get over dramatic and they never seemed to find a way to make it work.
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next  Generation, #3)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • Gulliver's Fugitives (Star Trek Next Generation #11)
  • The Eyes of the Beholders (Star Trek The Next Generation, #13)
  • Boogeymen (Star Trek: The Next Generation #17)
  • Imbalance (Star Trek: The Next Generation #22)
  • Chains of Command (Star Trek: The Next Generation #21)
  • The Romulan Stratagem (Star Trek The Next Generation,#35)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Romulan Prize (Star Trek: The Next Generation #26)
  • Debtors' Planet (Star Trek: The Next Generation #30)
  • Spartacus (Star Trek: The Next Generation #20)
  • Possession (Star Trek: The Next Generation #40)
Jean Lorrah is a science fiction and fantasy author. She has produced several Star Trek novels and often collaborated with Jacqueline Lichtenberg. Her most recent work with Lichtenberg is on the Sime - Gen Universe. Her fantasy series The Savage Empire, from the 1980s, is mostly solo work. She is also a professor of English at Murray State University and received her PhD from Florida State Univers...more
More about Jean Lorrah...
The Vulcan Academy Murders Metamorphosis (Star Trek The Next Generation; The First Giant Novel) The IDIC Epidemic Channel's Destiny Savage Empire (Savage Empire, #1)