Start by marking “The True Sources of the Nile” as Want to Read:
The True Sources of the Nile

The True Sources of the Nile

After a year, central Africa has finally started to feel like home to Anne, a human-rights activist from California. Deeply committed to helping the strife-torn nation of Burundi during its first democratic elections, Anne has also begun an intoxicating affair with Jean-Pierre, a government official allied with the Tutsi ruling class. But when the election brings the rival ...more
Published July 8th 2003 by Anchor (first published July 7th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The True Sources of the Nile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The True Sources of the Nile

Blair
Burundi.
While some of the book, the second half really takes place in the US it resonates with how an American expat brings the country with them when they return to the USA. Frankly, to me, that is an integral part of visiting so I am keeping this as a part of my "reading around the world" read-a-thon.

I am not sure why I did not chose more than three stars, it might be perhaps that while I could identify in some ways with the main character, I could not really make that connection. The characte
Colleen
Nov 11, 2012 Colleen rated it liked it
Leilani Clark
Nov 13, 2007 Leilani Clark rated it liked it
Gripping narrative that tells the tale of a white woman's struggle to come to terms with her experience in genocide-ravaged, colonialized Bujambari. I read "An Ordinary Man, this summer, Paul Rusenabagina's autobiography about the massacre of Tutsis by the Hutus in Rwanda. (a situation of course caused by the colonization of Rwanda by Germany and then Belgium--who establish a system in which the Tutsis were treated as superior to the Hutus leading to intense revenge tactics when the Belgians pul ...more
Marvin
Aug 07, 2009 Marvin rated it liked it
A remarkable novel about a human rights worker in Burundi, who falls in love with a local government official who turns out to have a troubling secret. She returns home to help her two sisters, with whom she has complicated relationships, care for their dying mother, who has a troubling secret of her own. Another wise (& sad) book (with lots of graphic sex) with no easy answers about how our passions do and should affect our relationships.
Sandy
Nov 09, 2008 Sandy rated it it was ok
Shelves: africa, contemp-fic
Okay book but excruiatingly annoying and trite ending. Interesting for its depiction of modern day Burundi, but that was it, as the love affair related in the book was also trite and immature in so many ways. Why do people constantly kid themselves about relationships, choosing to ignore information that is bluntly in our faces - there for us to see if only we would be willing to LOOK at it?
Meg
Jan 11, 2016 Meg rated it it was amazing
At first I had a hard time relating to the main character as her passion seemed to overwhelm her senses which I cannot relate to. Initially I found her weak and naive. Her character grows so much and I found myself eventually relating to her and in fact commiserating with her. I read this book because it was about Burundi but it is really about so much more. A snapshot of humanity.
Beni
Aug 20, 2011 Beni added it
Dark story due to the history of the country. The relationship of the lovers seems destined to work out even with their extremely different backgrounds but the harrowing experiences lead to road blocks.

I found the ending anticlimactic and disjointed but maybe it fit the leading character whom also seemed that way.
Virginia
Dec 06, 2009 Virginia rated it liked it
Vivid, even disturbing portrayal of harsh realities faced by an idealistic, passionate young woman attempting to meld the wildly contrasting cultures/histories/families of her and her Burundian lover. A little too tidy in the end, but lush and messy enough throughout to make up for that.
Fay
Jun 13, 2009 Fay rated it it was amazing
LOVE IT - a great and thoughtful love story about an expat American living in Africa....how the african sensibilites may not seem to be as sweepingly different at first glance, but where we are from is an integral part of who we are.
Stefanie
Dec 28, 2015 Stefanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: africa, burundi
One of my all-time favorite books and one of the few books I've read more than once. I love stories about Americans living in other countries, especially those that Westerners rarely visit and about which we make so many assumptions.
Pam
Nov 24, 2007 Pam marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
11/24 rec via bookmooch
lixy
Oct 10, 2009 lixy rated it liked it
A well written novel set in Africa
Sue Counterman
Sue Counterman rated it really liked it
May 20, 2017
Felicia
Felicia rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2011
Jackie Potgieter
Jackie Potgieter rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2011
Julie Waldman
Julie Waldman rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2011
Debby Smith
Debby Smith rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2014
Mary Ellen
Mary Ellen rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2008
meghan
meghan rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2010
Becca
Becca rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2011
Lia Moore
Lia Moore rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2008
Hadil
Hadil rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2012
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
May 09, 2011
Jan
Jan rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2011
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2011
PfromJ
PfromJ rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2014
Carrie Engstrom
Carrie Engstrom rated it it was ok
Jun 29, 2009
DJ
DJ rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2014
Laurie
Laurie rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2007
Fran Caparrelli
Fran Caparrelli rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2013