Start by marking “Hired by the Cowboy (Windover Ranch #1)” as Want to Read:
Hired by the Cowboy (Windover Ranch #1)

Hired by the Cowboy (Windover Ranch #1)

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,941 Ratings  ·  306 Reviews
Alexis Grayson is good at looking after herself - she's been doing it all her life. So what if she's alone and pregnant? She'll cope But gorgeous cowboy Connor Madsen seems determined to take care of her. And Alexis can help him - he needs a temporary wife; she needs somewhere to live until the baby's born. A short-term marriage will solve all their difficulties!

As Alexis

Paperback, Harlequin Romance #3954, 184 pages
Published May 1st 2007 by Harlequin Romance (first published September 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Hired by the Cowboy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hired by the Cowboy

Lady Jaye

DNF

I finally gave up about 16% of the way through. For a contemporary novel, the premise is rather stupid: how will any responsible people who run a ranch, knowing the precarious nature of running one, leave money to their son on the condition that he turns thirty or gets married? What happens when there is a drought when he is 25 and single and needs money to keep the ranch from going under? Stupid premises make stupid stories.

I could not get much of a feel for the hero and didn't care, but th
Elle (Ligia)
Rating: 2.5 stars.

It seems like I’ve been reading a lot of Harlequin romance this year and while some have been amazing, some not so much. And I’m afraid Hired by the Cowboy fits the second category.

Everything started super well with Hired by the Cowboy. Or as well as it could start. Asking a girl you just met to marry you so you can save your ranch is not among the things considered normal, or believable. But Donna Alward did a pretty good job on making it as believable as possible. You wouldn’
İlkim
Aug 26, 2012 İlkim rated it it was amazing
Bu yorumu Kitap Esintisi sayfasında bulabilirsiniz.

Her Hq romanını sevmem hatta nadiren sevdiklerim çıkar. Ama bunun gibi şirin romanlarına bayılırım. Kitap hamile olarak sokakta kalmış kızımız Alex ile ailesinin evinde tek başına yaşayan biftek üreticimiz yani bir nevi kovboyumuz Connor'ın hikayesini anlatıyor. Connor ile Alex'in tanışması kızın bayılması vesilesiyle oluyor ve orada hamile olduğunu öğreniyor. Connor'ın batmamak için paraya ihtiyacı vardır ve de ailesinden kalan parayı alabilme
Kathy Jo
Hired By The Cowboy is a cute, quick read. I started and finished it in a few hours. I really enjoyed the book and fell in love with Alex and Conner. They both had been hurt in the past and swore they would never love again. I enjoyed watching their relationship and feelings for each other grow. But towards the end of the book I started getting annoyed by Alex. She kind of turned into a drama queen and I wanted to slap her. She took her insecurities and turned them into anger towards Conner. The ...more
Cindy Winder delong
Aug 01, 2012 Cindy Winder delong rated it really liked it
Very touching story that engaged my emotions starting with the first chapter. I am a sucker for happily ever after and this book delivered. So many of the characters' needs were met by this relationship. I felt like they really loved and respected each other and weren't lost in lust. I liked the inclusion of family, homemaking, mentoring, and traditional gender roles.
Pamela(AllHoney)
A freebie category romance published under the Harlequin Romance line. It was okay for me. Nothing really exciting happens. Probably why I haven't read many from this particular category line in a while. Connor Madsen meets Alexis Grayson when she faints. Alex is pregnant and has no family and Connor needs a wife. A little too sweet for my personal taste.
LaFleurBleue
Feb 04, 2014 LaFleurBleue rated it it was ok
It felt like just another contemporary romance trying to leverage the hackneyed marriage of convenience trope. In this case, the main reason is gain access to a trust fund.
I did not really care that much for the book because I never believed in either characters. The hero just felt too good to be true: gorgeous, intelligent, honest, hard-working, attentive, rich enough by many standards, etc. And even though he had been working hard, nobody ever tried to grasp him. But the worse was just the her
ShoSho
Aug 04, 2012 ShoSho rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was in the mood for something easy and fast to read so I enjoyed it a lot.I think it was the first Harlequin book I've ever read that didn't make me roll my eyes all the time!!!
Fernanda
this was a so sweet and cute story!
not so credible in ours days, with so much violence and some cases low moral values.
But in any case, we have here a story based on a perfect gentleman and a sweet young lady, that all she wants is a family who loves her.

Alex wants a simple life for her and for her baby.... Connor need a wife in order to save his ranch.
The destiny forged a not so orthodox date.... and the attraction that both feel leads to a compromised love.

I have a great time reading this st
Tonileg
Jan 25, 2015 Tonileg rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, western, kindle, clean
When a person is alone for a long time (more then 6 months) we all get used to being independent and unsocial. Living alone will make the un-sociability develop even faster. I believe that people need to live with other people (roommates, lover, family, friends, children, etc...) because it keeps us part of society and public behavior is different then private behavior. It is really dangerous for people's mental stability to leave society and public behavior.
Alexis Grayson is good at looking aft
Elaine
This was a freebie on Amazon.

What a sweet romantic story! It has many elements that have been written before, true, but the author wrote a beautiful romance, that developed and grew with the book.

Alex is pregnant and alone; Connor sees her passing out and comes to her aid. He himself is in a quandary, needing trust fund money to help save his ranch from economic collapse due to a cattle disease. In short order, he proposes a "paper marriage", a business arrangement as it were- she marry him, he
Lanyahm
Jan 24, 2013 Lanyahm rated it liked it
I have downloaded this book for free from Ibooks. I really like romance. but for some reason i thought i wouldn't like this one. and i didn't in the beginning to be honest, but as i read through i became more in love with the characters and the story. It is very touching, very sweet, and a really nice love story.
So the story is about Alex and Connor. her alone and pregnant, and him about to lose his ranch. they meet and agree on a paper marriage, but then everything changes and they start havin
Dannielle
Feb 21, 2014 Dannielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet Romance

I really enjoyed this story. It was very well written, had a good pace and characters that I enjoyed getting to know, this book is a very nice light romantic read.
Gillian
I love this book and had enjoyed every moment of it; right from the start until the end. It evoked laughter, tears, anger, and a small amount of annoyance from me. Annoyance came from when the hero, Conner, and the heroine, Alex, wouldn't tell how each other how they really feel because they were afraid or that because everything was suppose to be "an agreement".

But other than that, I absolutely love the romance between the both of them; how they attracted to each other, and how they think they
Nas Dean
Mar 24, 2011 Nas Dean rated it really liked it
Hired By The Cowboy by author Donna Alward has a very sensitive, caring hero. He finds the heroine on the verge of passing out and takes her in. The heroine is pregnant and without support. The story has lovable characters. I loved the character of the hero's grandmother, who comes in from time to time. I always looked forward to her visits!

Hired By The Cowboy was Donna Alward's first book, yet it was an emotion packed roller-coaster!
Cary
Apr 03, 2013 Cary rated it it was ok
What to say... I'm sure I have read about these impulsive "let's help each other out and pretend we are together" sort of plots before. You know where strangers have a physical attraction that turns to true love as they go from being strangers to soul mates. I guess I have just never seen it working in real life and so as a fantasy it works and that is where you suspend reality. It was Ok with that in mind. Clean for sure.
Kim
Sep 10, 2012 Kim rated it liked it
This book started out strong, but lost me towards the end. I feel in love with Conner and Alex from the beginning. My heart ached for the loss they both felt and I was so happy that they found each other. However, 3/4 of the way in, Alex's actions were too dramatic for me. It is a well written, wonderful story that will warm your heart. It just fell flat for me.
April
Jan 19, 2012 April rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a freebie from Harlequin, and it's not bad, pretty standard fare from the publisher. As seems to be common in my reading of Harlequin novels, I found the hero and heroine's lack of communication a little frustrating. Tell each other how you feel already! It doesn't really help the book all that much when that's the only thing keeping the couple apart.
IMHO~C
3 Stars - I liked it

I think I got this book for free from Amazon. Although the book was based on a rather unlikely and overused storyline, (view spoiler), the fact that Alexis was pregnant added an interesting added dimension.
The story flowed well and was an easy, quite enjoyable read.
Peggy
Jul 27, 2012 Peggy rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Free Nook book. This was a fun fluffy city girl on the ranch story. The hero needs to be married to access the trust fund he needs to save his ranch and the heroine is pregnant and broke. They strike a bargain, and she fights hard to learn how to help out on a ranch. The hero's grandmother is a fun character too.
Lola
Jan 19, 2014 Lola rated it really liked it
If people could marry phones, I think I would marry my iPhone. Why, you might ask. The answer is simple: iBook. Being my first rodeo with an iPhone, one of the first perks I discovered was iBooks and the plethora of free books available for download. I downloaded some classics, Finding Cinderella, and a dozen romances I would never admit to reading but that made me squeal in delight when I did. Hired by the Cowboy is the latest of my cheesy free romances.

This is not your average marriage of co
Poonam
Aug 23, 2012 Poonam rated it it was amazing

I had read this book from Kindle . When I saw the title of this book, I was curious and wanted to know this story. And I did! It was very good. I really love this romantic story especially i Love the handsome Connor Madsen .
Nichole
Jun 27, 2012 Nichole rated it really liked it
This was a really good read from start to finish. I had to read it straight through. It was sad, humorous, tragic and happy all in one. I cried during thier vows. Heart breaking!
Nitzan Schwarz
Apr 03, 2016 Nitzan Schwarz rated it liked it
Shelves: freebie
Somewhere between 2.5 and 3 stars.
This book just never got me to feel anything, aside for slightly frustration. It kept going round and round on itself, with both main characters clearly showing each other attraction and expressing a desire for more, and yet every time interpreting the other's reaction as a validation that they weren't feeling the same. Urg.
Also, aside for Alex, Connor and the Grandma, none of the other character were establish. The most we get of anyone else in the story is "h
Dawn
Aug 28, 2012 Dawn rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot. The storyline flowed so smoothy that I lost track of time while reading. I loved the characters.
Lynda
Jan 30, 2014 Lynda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, romance
Alexis Grayson was pregnant, alone, and no place to call home struggled with what to do next in her life. Connor Madsen had the family ranch, financial problems, and a desperate need to find a solution to get to his trust fund quickly. After an accidental meeting, a plan was presented to help each other achieve their goals and remain friends in the end. Naturally, the heart sometimes will follow its own beat and not the laid out course planned out ahead.

A sweet story of two Canadians desperate
Tessa Teevan
Nov 14, 2013 Tessa Teevan rated it really liked it
This book was fantastic! Cute, sweet, and a short easy read with a swoon worthy hero.
Monica Grimm
Aug 18, 2014 Monica Grimm rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-star
This book started out decent, but to me where it went downhill was when her main characters fall into the typical romantic novel characters. While the author describes Alexis as being strong and independent, as the book went on, she lost part of her character.

Connor also falls into the romance hero stereotype, and by the end, I just found myself bored.

While I wouldn't recommend it, it was an easy read, I was able to finish it in a few days. So if a quick and not to profound read is what you ne
Jemi Fraser
Aug 24, 2012 Jemi Fraser rated it really liked it
Another great story, Donna!! :)
Laura's Book Addiction
OMG I totally loved this book
  • Cowboy Dad (The State of Parenthood #3)
  • The New Deputy in Town (Whitehorse Montana, #2)
  • Married by Mistake
  • Passion to Die For (Silhouette Romantic Suspense #1579)
  • The Inconvenient Duchess (The Radwells #1)
  • Baby Bonanza
  • Relentless (Aspen, #1)
  • Dancing In The Moonlight (Cowboys of Cold Creek, #2)
  • The Italian's Inexperienced Mistress (Ruthless)
  • Once A Cowboy (The Cowboys, #3)
  • Chocolate Kisses
  • When We Touch (Whiskey Creek, #0.5)
  • The Rancher Takes A Bride (The Burnett Brides, #1)
  • A Very Special Delivery
  • Already Home (Sons of Chance #6.2)
  • Return to Paradise
  • The Last Bride in Ballymuir (Ballymuir, #1)
  • Bluegrass State of Mind (Bluegrass Series, #1)
While bestselling author Donna Alward was busy studying Austen, Eliot and Shakespeare, she was also losing herself in the breathtaking stories created by romance novelists like LaVyrle Spencer, Judith McNaught, and Nora Roberts. Several years after completing her degree she decided to write a romance of her own and it was true love! Five years and ten manuscripts later she sold her first book and ...more
More about Donna Alward...

Windover Ranch (3 books)
  • Marriage at Circle M
  • Falling for Mr. Dark & Dangerous

“All I've ever wanted was a place to belong, and someone to belong to.” 18 likes
“A partner to share the ups and downs with. Honor and strength, and knowing you're stronger together than apart” 10 likes