Start by marking “The Velveteen Rabbit” as Want to Read:
The Velveteen Rabbit

The Velveteen Rabbit

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  172,839 Ratings  ·  2,365 Reviews
By the time the Velveteen Rabbit is dirty, worn out, and about to be burned, he has almost given up hope of ever finding the magic called Real.
Published August 1st 1994 by Creative Company (first published 1922)

Rachel C.
Feb 19, 2008 Rachel C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful and deeply touching. At Meredith's wedding last year, her brother and sister read a passage from this book, including the below - an inspired choice.

"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."
Bill
Aug 02, 2007 Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, favorites
A terrific book, even as an adult, but it gave me quite a scare as a little kid. See, I actually managed to get scarlet fever in the first grade, and because of The Velveteen Rabbit, I was terrified that someone was going to come in and force me to burn all of my toys like the kid in the book had to when he was sick. Thankfully, though, medicine advanced beyond toy burning in between the publishing of this book and 1982, so my G.I. Joes were safe.
Elyse
Jun 11, 2016 Elyse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm sure I wrote a review about this book on this site at one time or another.......

The review may be lost ---my memories of this book never are!

I own it.......
Its a children's favorite!

*Thanks Duane --for re-visiting of memories from when you recently read it!
K.D. Absolutely
Nov 12, 2010 K.D. Absolutely rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Regine
Shelves: childrens, given-away
The Velveteen Rabbit or How Toys Become Real by Margery Williams Bianco (1881-1944) was originally published in 1922 when she was 41 years old.

Tonight is my first time to read this book. Shame on me. It only took 15 mins to read it and at first I was totally not impressed. I thought I already saw the theme of previously-cherished toys being discarded either in favor of a newer or more hi-tech toy or when the child becomes an adult used in Disney/Pixar's movie Toy Story. I also thought I already
Carol
Dec 13, 2015 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First published in 1922, a REAL gem of a classic!
Afshar
Jun 26, 2016 Afshar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Afshar by: Christy
What is REAL?’ asked the Rabbit one day…
Real isn’t how you are made,’ said the Skin Horse.
It’s a thing that happens to you…

But these things don’t matter at all, because once you are Real you can’t be ugly

description

Terence
Nov 21, 2012 Terence rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My nieces
Recommended to Terence by: Maevisvintage
This is my teddy bear:

His name is “Teddy” and I have no recollection of getting him, but he has been with me for over 35 years. I can’t say that he and I were (are) as close as the Boy and his Rabbit. I have no memories of sleeping with him nor of fervently clutching him when afraid nor of making ersatz bear dens for his comfort but he was always on the periphery of my life. Lurking on top of my dresser, carelessly tossed on the bed or (today) carefully packed away with a few other childhood tre
Maggie Campbell
Jul 12, 2007 Maggie Campbell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"It doesn't happen all at once. You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in your joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real, you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."
Duane
Shame on you "Toy Story", you knocked off "The Velveteen Rabbit' and didn't even say thank you. Of course this was published in 1922, seventy-three years before Toy Story, so most of today's children haven't read this, which is a shame because it's a sweet story, soft and gentle like the little rabbit.
Sylvain Reynard
Jan 10, 2011 Sylvain Reynard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some children's books should be read by adults. This is one of them. It examines the transforming power of love.
Ronyell
Velveteen Rabbit

“The Velveteen Rabbit” is Rabbit Ears’ first classic story that is based off of Margery Williams’ popular tale and it is about how a toy rabbit learns the true meaning of being real. With Meryl Streep’s tender narration, George Winston’s soft music and David Jorgensen’s beautiful illustrations, “The Velveteen Rabbit” is an instant classic that children will watch over and over again.

What made this video truly memorable was Meryl Streep’s tender and soothing narration. Meryl Streep gives the st
Audrey
Aug 19, 2007 Audrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a beautiful beautiful story. During my second year of teaching, I started taking 30 minutes or so on Fridays to read a children's story to my juniors, and then we'd discuss it in the context of a shared letters project that was ongoing through the year. It never failed that I would cry every time I read this story -- the whole concept of being real as it is explained in the book just moves me so much. When you are shabby and well-worn and your whiskers are rubbed off and your fur is patchy, ...more
Franco  Santos
May 09, 2016 Franco Santos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
¿Quién le dio licencia a esta mujer para romper corazones? Quiero denunciar abuso de poder.
Wendy Darling
My favorite book of all time . . . .with timeless themes of love and loss. If you've never heard Meryl Streep pitch-perfect reading of this book, or seen David Jorgensen's beautiful drawings, you've never really experienced it properly.
Aryn
May 11, 2012 Aryn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book scarred me for goddamned life. I still can't get rid of a stuffed animal. Do you have any idea how many stuffed animals live in my basement because of this book?
Paul
Jun 26, 2016 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Didn't everyone read this as a child? I sure did and I made my mom read it over and over. I saw a post of this today and was like, "holy shit! I forgot all about this book"...
So here is my small review on such a wonderful children's book! 5 stars
Sloan
This is by far my favorite book from childhood. My mother read it to me countless times. I really can’t express what this tiny book means to me. It brings me to tears every time I read it. It also makes me pull out my own version of "a velveteen rabbit," which is a little gray bear that I have had since the day I was born. It's funny but when I pull that bear out and hold him in my arms it brings a rush of comfort and a feeling that everything is right.

This story is a classic that should be rea
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
Jul 23, 2013 Linda (Miss Greedybooks) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
The Skin Horse had lived longer in the nursery than any of the others. He was so old that his brown coat was bald in patches and showed the seams underneath.

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

Jinky
Feb 25, 2011 Jinky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
My scanned copy (this library edition doesn't have Bianco and it's 44pg long; isbn:0385077483; I don't see a copyright date but process date of this book in the library stated 4/1/87)
Velveteen Rabbit

I read one of those Christmas toddler abridged board book version of this book a long time ago and found it to be a darling story. I wanted to see the original version so I checked this out from my local library. Sweet story. Oddly enough, I think I like the abridged version better (perhaps due to the illustrations
Sandy
A charming story of the transforming power of love, the importance of overlooking shortcomings, and the real power of magical thinking.

I listened to a superb Librivox recording by Sabrina Sterling to be found in the collection entitled Children's Short Works, Vol. 005.
Brad
This is the first time I've read this book. Hard to believe, isn't it? It's especially hard to believe when I consider my mother -- this is just the sort of schmaltzy crap she loved. I probably missed this book because it falls in that range between picture books and chapter books that I skipped in my reading progression.

However it came about, I only just read this book. I shared it with my little Scoutie Kat as our bedtime book. It took a couple of nights, and she loved it, especially the part
Emily May
Feb 10, 2011 Emily May rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
What a beautiful and touching story. I was truly blown away by it's originality and subtle message... there is nothing much else to say: it is a heartbreaking story. I cried and cried and just wanted the opportunity to love the Velveteen rabbit forever.
Amy Silverman
I will love this book And my Cusen at the hotel farted I Semel. It Test like Diet coke
Jonnie
Nov 29, 2014 Jonnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This wonderful children's book has beautifully strung sentences that sit on the tip of your tongue like a Konpeitō. It's a story about a stuffed rabbit made of velveteen, and his quest to become "Real" through the love of his owner. I think everyone needs to become acquainted with this story, because like many other children's classics, including but limited to Winnie-the-Pooh, Charlotte's Web and Oh, The Places You'll Go!, this story perfectly intertwines sweet childish fantasy and stunning ill ...more
Nikki
Jun 02, 2014 Nikki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real.'

'Does it hurt?' asked the Rabbit.

'Sometimes,' said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. 'When you are Real you don't mind being hurt.'

'Does it happen all at once, like being wound up,' he asked, 'or bit by bit?'

booklady
I've lost track of all the times I've read this wonderful sweet story. But my favorite was when I copied and sent the following portion of it to my very REAL mom in a birthday card/letter to let her know how much she is loved:
“What is REAL?” asked the Velveteen Rabbit one day... “Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?”

“Real isn't how you are made,” said the Skin Horse. “It's a thing that happens to you. When [someone] loves you for a long, long time, not just to
Gliré
“By the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand.”
Mia  Bakhthiar
IT'S MIDNIGHT AND I AM SOBBING DON'T TOUCH ME
Shelly
Feb 03, 2012 Shelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This is such a cute story, even if it's a little sad. I just finished re-reading it and kept thinking this is something that is so timeless and can teach everyone a little humility, we are all fragile beings in this crazy thing called life. Being real is something I think even adults have trouble with, and books like this remind us to be grounded. I think labeling books strictly as childrens' does a great disservice to them. Sure, some are completely inane and have no point, but a great deal of ...more
LDS Ladies Book Club: The Velveteen Rabbit: July 1-7 2 4 18 hours, 40 min ago
Around the Year i...: The Velveteen Rabbit, by Margery Williams 3 22 Jan 23, 2016 04:52PM
  • Leo the Lop
  • Corduroy
  • The Balloon Tree
  • The Three Billy Goats Gruff
  • The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes
  • Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever!
Margery Williams Bianco was an English-American author, primarily of popular children's books. A professional writer since the age of nineteen, she achieved lasting fame at forty-one with the 1922 publication of the classic that is her best-known work, The Velveteen Rabbit.

See also Margery Bianco.
More about Margery Williams...

'Does it hurt?' asked the Rabbit.

'Does it happen all at once, like being wound up,' he asked, 'or bit by bit?'

'It doesn't happen all at once,' said the Skin Horse. 'You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand.”
1305 likes
“Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand.” 284 likes