Start by marking “The Velveteen Rabbit” as Want to Read:
The Velveteen Rabbit

The Velveteen Rabbit

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  142,061 ratings  ·  1,930 reviews
By the time the Velveteen Rabbit is dirty, worn out, and about to be burned, he has almost given up hope of ever finding the magic called Real.
Published August 1st 1994 by Creative Company (first published 1922)

Rachel C.
Beautiful and deeply touching. At Meredith's wedding last year, her brother and sister read a passage from this book, including the below - an inspired choice.

"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."
Bill
A terrific book, even as an adult, but it gave me quite a scare as a little kid. See, I actually managed to get scarlet fever in the first grade, and because of The Velveteen Rabbit, I was terrified that someone was going to come in and force me to burn all of my toys like the kid in the book had to when he was sick. Thankfully, though, medicine advanced beyond toy burning in between the publishing of this book and 1982, so my G.I. Joes were safe.
K.D. Absolutely
The Velveteen Rabbit or How Toys Become Real by Margery Williams Bianco (1881-1944) was originally published in 1922 when she was 41 years old.

Tonight is my first time to read this book. Shame on me. It only took 15 mins to read it and at first I was totally not impressed. I thought I already saw the theme of previously-cherished toys being discarded either in favor of a newer or more hi-tech toy or when the child becomes an adult used in Disney/Pixar's movie Toy Story. I also thought I already
Maggie Campbell
"It doesn't happen all at once. You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in your joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real, you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."
Ronyell
Velveteen Rabbit

“The Velveteen Rabbit” is Rabbit Ears’ first classic story that is based off of Margery Williams’ popular tale and it is about how a toy rabbit learns the true meaning of being real. With Meryl Streep’s tender narration, George Winston’s soft music and David Jorgensen’s beautiful illustrations, “The Velveteen Rabbit” is an instant classic that children will watch over and over again.

What made this video truly memorable was Meryl Streep’s tender and soothing narration. Meryl Streep gives the st
Terence
Nov 21, 2012 Terence rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My nieces
Recommended to Terence by: Maevisvintage
This is my teddy bear:

His name is “Teddy” and I have no recollection of getting him, but he has been with me for over 35 years. I can’t say that he and I were (are) as close as the Boy and his Rabbit. I have no memories of sleeping with him nor of fervently clutching him when afraid nor of making ersatz bear dens for his comfort but he was always on the periphery of my life. Lurking on top of my dresser, carelessly tossed on the bed or (today) carefully packed away with a few other childhood tre
Audrey
Such a beautiful beautiful story. During my second year of teaching, I started taking 30 minutes or so on Fridays to read a children's story to my juniors, and then we'd discuss it in the context of a shared letters project that was ongoing through the year. It never failed that I would cry every time I read this story -- the whole concept of being real as it is explained in the book just moves me so much. When you are shabby and well-worn and your whiskers are rubbed off and your fur is patchy, ...more
Wendy Darling
My favorite book of all time . . . .with timeless themes of love and loss. If you've never heard Meryl Streep pitch-perfect reading of this book, or seen David Jorgensen's beautiful drawings, you've never really experienced it properly.
Sylvain Reynard
Some children's books should be read by adults. This is one of them. It examines the transforming power of love.
Jinky
My scanned copy (this library edition doesn't have Bianco and it's 44pg long; isbn:0385077483; I don't see a copyright date but process date of this book in the library stated 4/1/87)
Velveteen Rabbit

I read one of those Christmas toddler abridged board book version of this book a long time ago and found it to be a darling story. I wanted to see the original version so I checked this out from my local library. Sweet story. Oddly enough, I think I like the abridged version better (perhaps due to the illustrations
Jonnie
This wonderful children's book has beautifully strung sentences that sit on the tip of your tongue like a Konpeitō. It's a story about a stuffed rabbit made of velveteen, and his quest to become "Real" through the love of his owner. I think everyone needs to become acquainted with this story, because like many other children's classics, including but limited to Winnie-the-Pooh, Charlotte's Web and Oh, The Places You'll Go!, this story perfectly intertwines sweet childish fantasy and stunning ill ...more
Brad
This is the first time I've read this book. Hard to believe, isn't it? It's especially hard to believe when I consider my mother -- this is just the sort of schmaltzy crap she loved. I probably missed this book because it falls in that range between picture books and chapter books that I skipped in my reading progression.

However it came about, I only just read this book. I shared it with my little Scoutie Kat as our bedtime book. It took a couple of nights, and she loved it, especially the part
Sloan
This is by far my favorite book from childhood. My mother read it to me countless times. I really can’t express what this tiny book means to me. It brings me to tears every time I read it. It also makes me pull out my own version of "a velveteen rabbit," which is a little gray bear that I have had since the day I was born. It's funny but when I pull that bear out and hold him in my arms it brings a rush of comfort and a feeling that everything is right.

This story is a classic that should be rea
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
The Skin Horse had lived longer in the nursery than any of the others. He was so old that his brown coat was bald in patches and showed the seams underneath.

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

Nikki
“Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real.'

'Does it hurt?' asked the Rabbit.

'Sometimes,' said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. 'When you are Real you don't mind being hurt.'

'Does it happen all at once, like being wound up,' he asked, 'or bit by bit?'

Aryn
This book scarred me for goddamned life. I still can't get rid of a stuffed animal. Do you have any idea how many stuffed animals live in my basement because of this book?
booklady
I've lost track of all the times I've read this wonderful sweet story. But my favorite was when I copied and sent the following portion of it to my very REAL mom in a birthday card/letter to let her know how much she is loved:
“What is REAL?” asked the Velveteen Rabbit one day... “Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?”

“Real isn't how you are made,” said the Skin Horse. “It's a thing that happens to you. When [someone] loves you for a long, long time, not just to
Shelly
This is such a cute story, even if it's a little sad. I just finished re-reading it and kept thinking this is something that is so timeless and can teach everyone a little humility, we are all fragile beings in this crazy thing called life. Being real is something I think even adults have trouble with, and books like this remind us to be grounded. I think labeling books strictly as childrens' does a great disservice to them. Sure, some are completely inane and have no point, but a great deal of ...more
Emily May
What a beautiful and touching story. I was truly blown away by it's originality and subtle message... there is nothing much else to say: it is a heartbreaking story. I cried and cried and just wanted the opportunity to love the Velveteen rabbit forever.
Matthieu
Small tragedies, small children, small world.
Ranee
It took me a few minutes to finish this via the net but it took me a good deal of time to cover back my childhood memories of my favorite stuff toy. Like the boy, I owned a stuff animal, a rat named Cookie. Its head was a perfect fit in my neck, best when I'm cuddling it to sleep. Its ears were big, perfect to listen to my wails/woes and dreams. And its eyes had this "know it all" stare enough to bring my conscience back when I did something wrong. In essence, he was my best friend, I also bring ...more
Eve
This book was written in 1922 and I would recommend it for older children – perhaps to read to a Year 3 to Year 5 class, or for a Year 6 child to read to the teacher. The vocabulary is quite difficult, and very descriptive, and so it may be suitable for a more advanced reader.

The book tells the story of a toy rabbit, loved by the boy who owns him. When the boy becomes ill with scarlet fever, all of his toys, including the rabbit, are thrown away and new ones bought for him. However, a magical fl
Dina
This was a traumatizing book for me as a child, with the worst part being that they burned all the kid's toys. I was terrified for years that after getting the flu or a cold that this would happen. And at the end we're supposed to feel happy that the kid saw some connection between his cherished, most beloved, now-burned toy and a real rabbit?
And now that I think about it, there's some weird Jesus-resurrection-faith stuff going on here. Maybe Williams should have just written a sermon instead.
B
Cheryl
I read this to my sons a hundred times. This abridgement was perfect - kept the magical heartwarming essence and the graceful core of the plot and characters, streamlined out things that weren't essential. Beautiful illustrations made me feel like I could touch the difference between the live-born rabbits' fur and our hero's new fur, not to mention the different plushes on the other toys. The framing of the other illustrations was also well-done, the viewer's point-of-view fit the ideas of the s ...more
Jillyn
Jun 06, 2013 Jillyn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jillyn by: Emily
This is a book that every child should read or own. The Boy gets a new toy, the velveteen rabbit, and soon finds that he cannot even sleep without it. He loves the rabbit until its fur is shaggy and its seams are popping. The velveteen rabbit teaches a valuable lesson on being loved, realism, and what happens to things that are lost to us.
Codie Gates
I had never before read this children's classic until my fourth grade class started it as a group. I finished in 10 minutes and I thought it was such a beautiful story.
Dave
I personally think that everyone should have a copy of this children's book. Yes, I did get this special edition with the plush velveteen stuffed rabbit.
John Yelverton
This book made me so sad when I was growing up. I was so scared my own favorite stuffed animal would be taken away.
Roxton Malone
Dec 10, 2008 Roxton Malone rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has children or is a child at heart
I found an "original edition" copy of The Velveteen Rabbit today at my Barnes & Noble while I was organizing the children's classics bay. It was the only one left. This was fortuitous for me since I lost my big beautiful full-color hardcover copy in a flood in upstate New York.

I struggle with giving this only four stars. Few children's books are better. I just always have a tiny problem with a Deus Ex Machina climax in the form of a magical twist at the end of an otherwise pretty straightfor
Josephine
I first stumbled upon this story when I was in my freshman year in college [an excerpt of it was in our COMII textbook and I actually thought it was a poem until today, lol]. Something about this story just tears at my heart. Maybe it was the Rabbit's longing to be loved--as it's just so like everyone else's deepest desire.

Anyway, I would remember this story from time to time and I would pull my COMII book to reread it. Somehow my book is missing in my cabinet, lol. Can't remember where I put i
Kindle Users 16 111 Feb 20, 2014 09:41AM
  • Eloise
  • The Story of Ferdinand
  • Old Turtle
  • Mama, Do You Love Me?
Margery Williams Bianco was an English-American author, primarily of popular children's books. A professional writer since the age of nineteen, she achieved lasting fame at forty-one with the 1922 publication of the classic that is her best-known work, The Velveteen Rabbit.

See also Margery Bianco.
More about Margery Williams...
The Little Wooden Doll The Skin Horse Winterbound Poor Cecco Other Peoples Houses

'Does it hurt?' asked the Rabbit.

'Does it happen all at once, like being wound up,' he asked, 'or bit by bit?'

'It doesn't happen all at once,' said the Skin Horse. 'You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand.”
933 likes
“Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand.” 207 likes