Start by marking “A Retrieved Reformation” as Want to Read:
A Retrieved Reformation

A Retrieved Reformation

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Published January 1st 2007 by Perfection Learning

To ask other readers questions about A Retrieved Reformation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Retrieved Reformation

Mare
Jimmy Valentine is a bank robber who has connections that have gotten him out of jail after only 11 months of a 4 yr sentence. Of course once out, he gets back to cracking safes. The detective that caught him before, Ben Price, notices his M.O. and begins looking for him. After a few jobs, he heads to a small town called Elmore to check out their bank when the bank owner’s daughter catches his eye. He inquires who she is and decides to stay for a while. Using the shoe making skill he picked up i ...more
Realini
A Retrieved Information by O. Henry
Hilarious

This is an excellent, funny and short story.
I have read O.Henry before and had the chance to appreciate his humor, in The Ransom of Red Chief, where a kidnapping turns horribly wrong for the perpetrators, who end up paying for their prisoner to be taken back by his family….family that had imposed some terms in order to accept the missing son back. Not the usual tears and terror, but a joy ride of uproarious fun.
So I knew that humor was to be expected i
Haley *I don't take bullshit*
This is a great story to use in an English class; it's thought-provoking and can lead to a great discussion of what makes people "good" or "bad", or if people can even be classified like that.

However, it's not a good story to read for enjoyment. It's not that interesting.
Soha Sleem
O. Henry is very remarkable for his usage of foreshadowing, irony, and humor. All in all it was very amusing reading & teaching this text to my grade 7 students.
Lilia
I really liked this short story by O. Henry!!! "A Retrieved Reformation" was filled with excitement and surprises.
katie
it was interesting I read it for school
Archie Kennedy iii
My fav short story
Brenda
The book posses a lot of questions, can you reform yourself from a life of crime and once reformed can you go back to that former life when it counts? I found this a very nice short story, any longer and it would have lost its appeal, as the writing style was not what I am used to, but it was written in a style that was popular at the time. So not discounting the book because of that, if anything it enhanced the book's charm.
Raevyn ~WICKED is good...or is it???~
I read it for school. The theme is wonderful, but O. Henry's writing seemed pompous and long-winded.
Haruna Okutsu
o.Henry A retrieved Reformation level 2
06/02 = 65 minutes
prion-shoe-wanted-children-close-tools-happy
Can you rescue for children from danger,when your life dangerous?
I would like to rescue children.

It is good story because the man was a prisoner who rescued children.
It is happy end. I like this story.
Kika96
Jul 27, 2013 Kika96 added it
I don't remember anything about this--but hunting through my old box of notebooks, I found an 8th grade lit book, that discussed the plot and had quotes and predictions about the book. So if not for that, never would've remembered this one!
Tiffany
Liam Thompson
A good story about a man trying to forget his past but it catches up with him (reminding my of the PS3 game Red Dead Redemption)
Sahvana Morri
Yet again, O.Henry stays true to his legacy with a a surprisse ending.
Clara
Another short story of sacrifice (similar to the Gift of the Magi).
Shealea Iral
Read for an English project. I liked it. Yeah, okay.
Elizabeth
Lovely and hopeful short story, heartwarming.
Zeinab  Haj Hasan
the most eciting story iv read it
Natz
Feb 11, 2010 Natz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: really anyone
Recommended to Natz by: my reading teacher (lol! really we read it in class)
reading class. liked it a lot.
Mehmet Haciosmanoglu
Mehmet Haciosmanoglu marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Jeff Hobbs
Jeff Hobbs marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Katie
Katie added it
Sep 19, 2014
Cristina
Cristina marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Shweta Thakur
Shweta Thakur marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Kim
Kim is currently reading it
Sep 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
William Sydney Porter lends the pen name "O. Henry" to surprise endings signed officially as Sydney Porter. His biography shows where he found inspiration for his characters. Their voices and his language were products of his era.

He was born 1862 Greensboro, North Carolina. When he was three years old, his mother died from tuberculosis. He left school at fifteen, worked five years in uncle's drugs
More about O. Henry...
The Gift of the Magi Selected Stories The Ransom of Red Chief The Best Short Stories of O. Henry The Gift of the Magi and Other Short Stories

“Jimmy Valentine looked into her eyes, forgetting at once what he was. He became another man.” 1 likes