Start by marking “Mission to Horatius (Star Trek: The Original Series)” as Want to Read:
Mission to Horatius (Star Trek: The Original Series)

Mission to Horatius (Star Trek: The Original Series)

A mission to a primitive planet suffering raids from its high-tech neighbors leads Captain Kirk to investigate its inhabitants, who are split into two kinds: real people and clones with no civil rights.
Published February 1st 1999 by Atria (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Mission to Horatius, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mission to Horatius

Rae
Oct 16, 2009 Rae rated it really liked it
Wow, lots of folks were stingy with the stars on this one! I just let myself enjoy it for what it was.... Star Trek fiction written a hell of a long time ago, with wonderful cheesy illustrations and a wonderfully terrible plotline. (Make sure you check out the introduction... some great 1960's-til-Kirk predicted history!) I stumbled across this in an antique store on vacation, and enjoyed it as nerdy Trek beach reading. Was thrilled to find out later that I now have an original printing of a col ...more
Sath
Captain Kirk recieves a secret mission for the enterprise; to investigate the origin of a federation distress call issued from a planetary system outside federation space. This system far out has 3 habitable planets, which where actually populated by people whose beliefs and way of life fell outside of federation norms and wanted to live outside federation jurisdiction.

When they arrive at the system, they investigate each planet in turn to find the source of the transmission. On the first they f
Daniel
Mar 24, 2008 Daniel rated it it was ok
Wow, does this bring back some memories!

I believe that I may have read this after picking it up in a used book store some 25 years or so ago.

I fully admit to being the Star Trek nerd and enjoying Star Trek novels. There's something very comfortable in reading books with characters who are so incredibly familiar to me.

The plot is paper thin and the characters less well developed than the average television episode. Some characters seemed to be named just for the sake of making sure to include the
Helen
May 21, 2017 Helen rated it really liked it
At first I simply read this because it was such an early Star Trek novel. It seemed silly and a little slow to get started, but by the end I enjoyed it. I was surprised that I wanted to give it four stars at the end.
Jim
Nov 25, 2014 Jim rated it liked it
Back in 1968 I was four years old. I had no idea about a television series that first aired on US networks in 1966 and was not going to hit British screens until July 1969 (by which time, if you have completed the calculations, I was five).

I certainly had no idea about this book first published in 1968 by the company Whitman and written by Mack Reynolds with illustrations by Sparky Moore. Star Trek: Mission to Horatius is a children’s book based on the now legendary Gene Roddenberry (and Herbert
Tracy Poff
This review also appears on my blog.

I've just written about James Blish's Star Trek, the first Trek book ever published, but that book contained only adaptations of television episodes. The first original Trek story published--and, indeed, the only such book published during the initial airing of Star Trek--is Mack Reynolds's Mission to Horatius, published in 1968.

The Enterprise has been out on patrol for a long time, and just when they were heading for a much needed break, they are ordered to a
Francisco
Apr 18, 2016 Francisco rated it it was ok
So we end 1968 with the first original Star Trek novel, as you will notice it was not published by the same people doing the novelizations (Bantam) and was directed towards a younger marker, it has illustrations and a simple plot which includes a rat named Mickey. This was a controversial book at the time, and it was not published until Desilu, the production company of the TV series imposed some corrections on the final product. According to the Wikipedia page on this there was quite a bit of r ...more
David King
Jan 22, 2015 David King rated it it was ok
“Mission to Horatius” by Mack Reynolds is a rather important book in the history of Trek Lit as it was the first original novel ever written. The target audience admittedly was children rather than adults but at least it showed there was a market there for different Trek stories if people were willing to exploit it.

The plot follows the crew of the Enterprise as it is called upon to respond to a distress call, even though the ship’s crew are already suffering some negative effects from the length
Dan Quigley
Nov 01, 2015 Dan Quigley rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek-books
This was the first original Star Trek story not part of the television series. Mack Reynolds has good writing ability and a good handle on the characters. He writes them in a way that's true to the series and does not make the common mistake many early authors do of exaggerating their features to the point of caricature. The Enterprise embarks on a mission to trace a distress signal. It could have come from any one of three inhabited worlds and they have trouble discovering which of the three it ...more
Alexander
Jan 17, 2017 Alexander rated it liked it
Far too many uses of the word cafard . Easy read, with authentic representations of familiar characters. Will certainly disappoint ardent Star Trek readers, however, Mack Reynolds tailored the dialogue, and plot, for young readers.
Michael
Jan 19, 2011 Michael rated it it was ok
I give this only two stars because it is just so childish and campy compared to the later Pocket Books novels based on the Star Trek shows. That's because this was actually the FIRST novel set in the Trek universe, written in 1968 (and because it was more geared toward youngsters than adults). Frequent references to Spock's "Satanic" ears and eyebrows kept me chuckling.

I actually picked up a first edition (not the 1999 reprint) of this book at an antique store - a pleasant surprise when I learne
Rich Meyer
Sep 10, 2014 Rich Meyer rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2014
Except for some erstwhile comic bits, this novel, a children's book, was pretty much Third Season in quality. It was also, technically, the very first Star Trek tie-in novel.

The Enterprise has been on a VERY long mission and is called to respond to a distress signal from a star system that hadn't been properly explored by the Federation. McCoy, however, is more concerned about the overworked crew suffering from "space cafard" from the monotonous routine of this particular mission.

Luckily, the
OJ Svartheim
Jan 07, 2017 OJ Svartheim rated it it was ok
I believe this is considered to be the first original Star Trek novel. And being the first of its kind, it's okay. Nothing spectacular, but not a complete disaster. The way it is written, accompanied by the occasional illustration, gives it a feel of being geared towards teens or slightly younger, but that's fine.

The plot is not thick by any means (which makes sense if it's aimed at a younger audience), and for those of us who are hardcore trekkies, one might cringe a bit at the blatant lack of
Mikael Kuoppala
Nov 24, 2012 Mikael Kuoppala rated it it was ok
So here's a rediscovered Trek novel from a time when the original series itself was still on TV. "Mission to Horatius" is a fundamentally flawed book with implausible ideas and silly plot devices, but it does have its moments. The storytelling for one is rather high brow considering the plot which feels very much directed at younger readers. It does seem like Reynolds and the editors have taken the project seriously.

This early effort is at its best when depicting the everyday life aboard the Ent
Michael
Sep 08, 2012 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A reissue of an earlier novel written in 1968. Not bad, overall, considering the time frame it was originally written in. Captain Kirk and the Enterprise are sent on a secret mission to locate the source of a interplanetary distress call. They track it down to one of three Class-M (earthlike) planets in a solar system populated by colonists who want nothing to do with the Federation. After run-ins with a primitive, pre-Columbian culture, a religious society controlled by drugs, and a planet run ...more
Craig
Apr 15, 2015 Craig rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the very first Star Trek novel ever published. I'm sure that no one imagined that a million more of them would follow in the years to come, that there would be multiple generations and movies and spin-offs and re-boots and on and on and on. Reynolds was a well-known writer at the time, a prolific author of space adventure and sociological sf and speculative political works. When I first read it I didn't know about any of those things. I liked watching the tv show and I thought the book ...more
Carlo
Jan 23, 2008 Carlo rated it did not like it
Shelves: sci-fi
I've been a Star Trek fan for as long as I could remember, so it was no surprise when my friend gave this to me for my birthday a few years ago. I must have had a psychic vibe that it was going to be auful and that's why it sat, unread, on my shelf for so long. The story concept was intriguing, which is the reason I gave it one star, but the execution and the writing were treasonous. Really, the writer should have been strung up. He didn't devle into the story to explore the myriad plot potentia ...more
Courtney
Oct 06, 2014 Courtney rated it liked it
Wonderfully cheesy, corny, terrible but I can't help but love it because it's Trek and reading all these Pocket Books is now the only way for me to get fresh Trek.

Born in the eighties I got into TNG just as it was ending and have since slowly worked me way through each Star Trek franchise, devastated each time I come to a series end.

TOS was hard to watch in that I wasn't alive when these stories first aired It was difficult to adjust to one outline per episode and how differently the Federatio
Michael Kaiser
The first original Star Trek novel (as in not based off episode screenplays) and published in 1968. The show is in its third year, and this novel reads better for it, in terms of characterization in comparison to Star Trek 1 by James Blish. The plot reminded me of a D&D adventure, where Kirk and crew visit one town (planet) after the next, solving mini-quests while trying to complete the big picture mission. I enjoyed the focus on the crew during down time, as it's rare that the TOS cast is ...more
Christopher Obert
Mar 02, 2013 Christopher Obert rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2013
This was the very first Star Trek book in my science fiction collection. For some reason I never got around to reading it until now. It was an interesting read. The book came out in 1968, so that means that it was written very early in the history of Star Trek. For example, there is a fight scene in the book where Spock punches and battles his opponents rather than giving them a neck pinch. That is because the story was created before the TV episode where the neck pinch was aired. The book is a ...more
Bladestryke
Mar 11, 2014 Bladestryke rated it liked it
If there was one word to describe this book it would be....meh. Definitely for the pre teen crowd this book is a quick read but a bit off the mark when it comes to getting some of your favorite characters right. The story has some potential at least the antics on board the ship but the actual main plot leaves a bit to be desired. A good read for those youth just getting into trek or just sci-fi in general.
Mark
Somehow I missed reading this book, the first Star Trek novel, by veteran science fiction author Mack Reynolds. While not a shining example of Trek lit, the oddities are amusing. I've also read all the early Star Trek novels published by Pocket Books. I think Reynolds only had a few episodes to guide him, but his work is no worse than the Pocket Star Trek tales that came later and in some ways, I think he had a better understanding of the characters.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 28, 2012 Benjamin Plume rated it liked it
This ended up being an OK story despite some early gaps in logic... I give it three stars but one of those is a nod for this being THE original Star Trek novel. Literally hundreds have followed, and this isn't one of the better ones, but pioneering the novel as a medium for Trek was a big step.

I think this one was also largely intended for a young audience, which may have detracted somewhat from my own enjoyment of it as an adult.
Elorap.
Sep 20, 2014 Elorap. rated it liked it
I...Well, I think I may have liked it. It was one of those stories that is just so ridiculously bad you can't help but finish it. By the time Chekov was on drugs and Sulu's pet rat got loose on the ship, I think I had already given up on any semblance of sense. What? Just...What? I'm still not sure, but I think I enjoyed it for its weirdness.
James Sorensen
Aug 09, 2012 James Sorensen rated it really liked it
The first Star Trek novel ever written. One of a series of young adult books based on 1960's TV shows. These were published by Whitman with cardboard covers. A simple story that was reprinted by Pocket Books in 1996. Not great but a fun kids read. An original copy of this novel can cost over $50. I own 3 copies plus the reprint.
Cathrine Bonham
May 21, 2011 Cathrine Bonham rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Star Trek Original Series Fans
The crew of the Enterprise is getting cabin fever. Supplies are dangerously low and the warp drive is falling apart. But Captain Kirk won't give anyone leave until their mission is complete.

Before they can go into space dock the crew must overcome Neolithic warriors, Controlling druids, Neo Nazis and the Bubonic Plauge.

Set your Phaser on Stun.
Dominik
Mar 27, 2016 Dominik rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Als Kuriosität (Immerhin handelt es sich hier um die deutsche Erstausgabe des allerersten Star-Trek-Romans, so alt, dass offensichtlich weder Übersetzer noch Illustrator je etwas von der Serie gehört hatten) ist dieses Buch durchaus interessant, inhaltlich ist es aber leider arg seicht und auch nicht besonders gut übersetzt. Warum tragen plötzlich alle Umhänge?
Robin
Dec 24, 2012 Robin rated it it was amazing
A quick, fun read. It might not be "life changing" book or full of amazing literary prose, but it is completely entertaining and my copy even contained cheesy illustrations to add to the experience. i recommend it. The ending had me laughing out loud.
Travis Bird
Jun 15, 2008 Travis Bird rated it really liked it
Of course, I really liked it - I was 10. And it was an original edition. Which I have lost somehow...oh brother.

I believe this was the very first Star Trek tie-in book. For all its awkwardness, it was the real thing.
Kim
Dec 29, 2011 Kim rated it it was ok
This is basically a novelization of the Gold Key comics from the late 60's. This book had a lot in commmon with them and it was just goofy. I however perfer the older pocketbooks at least they dont refer to spock as satanic which he is most certainly not.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Vulcan! (Star Trek Adventures, #7)
  • Star Trek Log Five (Star Trek: Logs, #5)
  • The Death of Princes (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #44)
  • Star Trek 9
  • Metamorphosis (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Trials and Tribble-Ations
  • By the Book (Star Trek: Enterprise #2)
  • The Patrian Transgression
  • Star Trek: The New Voyages, 2 (Star Trek Adventures, #6)
  • Her Klingon Soul: Day of Honor #3
  • Shockwave (Star Trek: Enterprise #3)
  • Enemy Unseen
  • Mudd in Your Eye
Dallas McCord "Mack" Reynolds was an American science fiction writer. His pen names included Clark Collins, Mark Mallory, Guy McCord, Dallas Ross and Maxine Reynolds. Many of his stories were published in "Galaxy Magazine" and "Worlds of If Magazine". He was quite popular in the 1960s, but most of his work subsequently went out of print.

He was an active supporter of the Socialist Labor Party; his
More about Mack Reynolds...