Start by marking “Mission to Horatius (Star Trek: The Original Series)” as Want to Read:
Mission to Horatius (Star Trek: The Original Series)

Mission to Horatius (Star Trek: The Original Series)

3.15 of 5 stars 3.15  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  33 reviews
A mission to a primitive planet suffering raids from its high-tech neighbors leads Captain Kirk to investigate its inhabitants, who are split into two kinds: real people and clones with no civil rights.
Published February 1st 1999 by Atria (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Mission to Horatius, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mission to Horatius

Andy
Wow, lots of folks were stingy with the stars on this one! I just let myself enjoy it for what it was.... Star Trek fiction written a hell of a long time ago, with wonderful cheesy illustrations and a wonderfully terrible plotline. (Make sure you check out the introduction... some great 1960's-til-Kirk predicted history!) I stumbled across this in an antique store on vacation, and enjoyed it as nerdy Trek beach reading. Was thrilled to find out later that I now have an original printing of a col ...more
Sath
Captain Kirk recieves a secret mission for the enterprise; to investigate the origin of a federation distress call issued from a planetary system outside federation space. This system far out has 3 habitable planets, which where actually populated by people whose beliefs and way of life fell outside of federation norms and wanted to live outside federation jurisdiction.

When they arrive at the system, they investigate each planet in turn to find the source of the transmission. On the first they f
Daniel
Wow, does this bring back some memories!

I believe that I may have read this after picking it up in a used book store some 25 years or so ago.

I fully admit to being the Star Trek nerd and enjoying Star Trek novels. There's something very comfortable in reading books with characters who are so incredibly familiar to me.

The plot is paper thin and the characters less well developed than the average television episode. Some characters seemed to be named just for the sake of making sure to include the
Rich Meyer
Except for some erstwhile comic bits, this novel, a children's book, was pretty much Third Season in quality. It was also, technically, the very first Star Trek tie-in novel.

The Enterprise has been on a VERY long mission and is called to respond to a distress signal from a star system that hadn't been properly explored by the Federation. McCoy, however, is more concerned about the overworked crew suffering from "space cafard" from the monotonous routine of this particular mission.

Luckily, the
Courtney
Wonderfully cheesy, corny, terrible but I can't help but love it because it's Trek and reading all these Pocket Books is now the only way for me to get fresh Trek.

Born in the eighties I got into TNG just as it was ending and have since slowly worked me way through each Star Trek franchise, devastated each time I come to a series end.

TOS was hard to watch in that I wasn't alive when these stories first aired It was difficult to adjust to one outline per episode and how differently the Federatio
Tracy Poff
This review also appears on my blog.

I've just written about James Blish's Star Trek, the first Trek book ever published, but that book contained only adaptations of television episodes. The first original Trek story published--and, indeed, the only such book published during the initial airing of Star Trek--is Mack Reynolds's Mission to Horatius, published in 1968.

The Enterprise has been out on patrol for a long time, and just when they were heading for a much needed break, they are ordered to a
Michael
I give this only two stars because it is just so childish and campy compared to the later Pocket Books novels based on the Star Trek shows. That's because this was actually the FIRST novel set in the Trek universe, written in 1968 (and because it was more geared toward youngsters than adults). Frequent references to Spock's "Satanic" ears and eyebrows kept me chuckling.

I actually picked up a first edition (not the 1999 reprint) of this book at an antique store - a pleasant surprise when I learne
Bladestryke
If there was one word to describe this book it would be....meh. Definitely for the pre teen crowd this book is a quick read but a bit off the mark when it comes to getting some of your favorite characters right. The story has some potential at least the antics on board the ship but the actual main plot leaves a bit to be desired. A good read for those youth just getting into trek or just sci-fi in general.
Mikael Kuoppala
So here's a rediscovered Trek novel from a time when the original series itself was still on TV. "Mission to Horatius" is a fundamentally flawed book with implausible ideas and silly plot devices, but it does have its moments. The storytelling for one is rather high brow considering the plot which feels very much directed at younger readers. It does seem like Reynolds and the editors have taken the project seriously.

This early effort is at its best when depicting the everyday life aboard the Ent
Elorap.
I...Well, I think I may have liked it. It was one of those stories that is just so ridiculously bad you can't help but finish it. By the time Chekov was on drugs and Sulu's pet rat got loose on the ship, I think I had already given up on any semblance of sense. What? Just...What? I'm still not sure, but I think I enjoyed it for its weirdness.
Mike
A reissue of an earlier novel written in 1968. Not bad, overall, considering the time frame it was originally written in. Captain Kirk and the Enterprise are sent on a secret mission to locate the source of a interplanetary distress call. They track it down to one of three Class-M (earthlike) planets in a solar system populated by colonists who want nothing to do with the Federation. After run-ins with a primitive, pre-Columbian culture, a religious society controlled by drugs, and a planet run ...more
Carlo
I've been a Star Trek fan for as long as I could remember, so it was no surprise when my friend gave this to me for my birthday a few years ago. I must have had a psychic vibe that it was going to be auful and that's why it sat, unread, on my shelf for so long. The story concept was intriguing, which is the reason I gave it one star, but the execution and the writing were treasonous. Really, the writer should have been strung up. He didn't devle into the story to explore the myriad plot potentia ...more
Bald60man
I love it....after growing up with Star Trek , I could visualize the characters while I read. Great!
Christopher Obert
This was the very first Star Trek book in my science fiction collection. For some reason I never got around to reading it until now. It was an interesting read. The book came out in 1968, so that means that it was written very early in the history of Star Trek. For example, there is a fight scene in the book where Spock punches and battles his opponents rather than giving them a neck pinch. That is because the story was created before the TV episode where the neck pinch was aired. The book is a ...more
Michael Kaiser
The first original Star Trek novel (as in not based off episode screenplays) and published in 1968. The show is in its third year, and this novel reads better for it, in terms of characterization in comparison to Star Trek 1 by James Blish. The plot reminded me of a D&D adventure, where Kirk and crew visit one town (planet) after the next, solving mini-quests while trying to complete the big picture mission. I enjoyed the focus on the crew during down time, as it's rare that the TOS cast is ...more
Mark
Somehow I missed reading this book, the first Star Trek novel, by veteran science fiction author Mack Reynolds. While not a shining example of Trek lit, the oddities are amusing. I've also read all the early Star Trek novels published by Pocket Books. I think Reynolds only had a few episodes to guide him, but his work is no worse than the Pocket Star Trek tales that came later and in some ways, I think he had a better understanding of the characters.
Benjamin Plume
This ended up being an OK story despite some early gaps in logic... I give it three stars but one of those is a nod for this being THE original Star Trek novel. Literally hundreds have followed, and this isn't one of the better ones, but pioneering the novel as a medium for Trek was a big step.

I think this one was also largely intended for a young audience, which may have detracted somewhat from my own enjoyment of it as an adult.
Cathrine Bonham
May 22, 2011 Cathrine Bonham rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Star Trek Original Series Fans
The crew of the Enterprise is getting cabin fever. Supplies are dangerously low and the warp drive is falling apart. But Captain Kirk won't give anyone leave until their mission is complete.

Before they can go into space dock the crew must overcome Neolithic warriors, Controlling druids, Neo Nazis and the Bubonic Plauge.

Set your Phaser on Stun.
James Sorensen
The first Star Trek novel ever written. One of a series of young adult books based on 1960's TV shows. These were published by Whitman with cardboard covers. A simple story that was reprinted by Pocket Books in 1996. Not great but a fun kids read. An original copy of this novel can cost over $50. I own 3 copies plus the reprint.
Robin
A quick, fun read. It might not be "life changing" book or full of amazing literary prose, but it is completely entertaining and my copy even contained cheesy illustrations to add to the experience. i recommend it. The ending had me laughing out loud.
Kim
This is basically a novelization of the Gold Key comics from the late 60's. This book had a lot in commmon with them and it was just goofy. I however perfer the older pocketbooks at least they dont refer to spock as satanic which he is most certainly not.
Kirk Domenico
Πισω στο 1968 και σε εναν κοσμο πολυ διαφορετικο απο το δικο μας κυκλοφορησε το πρωτο βιβλιο Star Trek . Εχοντας υποσχεθει στον εαυτο μου οτι θα τα διαβασω ολα οσα εχουν βγει με τη χρονολογικη σειρα τους επρεπε να ξεκινησω απο αυτο .
Retarius
Of course, I really liked it - I was 10. And it was an original edition. Which I have lost somehow...oh brother.

I believe this was the very first Star Trek tie-in book. For all its awkwardness, it was the real thing.
Jo
Reads like a TOS extended episode, a bit "of it's time," leaning on more than one trope but overall enjoyable for a TOS Trek fan.
Sam
I have to be honest - Mission to Horatius is one of the goofier novelizations. Fun and a quick read, sure, but also ridiculous.
Brandon
A high rating for helping to start what became a rather addictive reading habit. As a stand-alone book, it's not very good.
Connie
reading for the winter program at the library

Quick, fun read. It was like watching an episode of star trek.
Robert Lent
It is significant as the first Star Trek novel. It isn't up to the quality of later novels, but isn't truly awful.
Randy
The very first original Star Trek novel. It suffered from being written as a juvenile.
Julie *Friday's Child*
Freaking hilarious. I love the little glimpses of everyday life.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Star Trek 9
  • Timetrap
  • The Patrian Transgression
  • Vulcan! (Star Trek Adventures, #7)
  • In the Name of Honor
  • The Death of Princes (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #44)
  • Star Trek Log Five (Star Trek: Logs, #5)
  • Twilight's End
  • Her Klingon Soul: Day of Honor #3
  • The Great Starship Race
  • Enemy Unseen
  • Renegade
  • The Better Man
  • Rust Vol. 1: Visitor in the Field
  • The Fate Of The Phoenix (Star Trek Adventures, #11)
  • Metamorphosis (Star Trek The Next Generation; The First Giant Novel)
  • The Kobayashi Maru
  • Troublesome Minds (Star Trek)
Dallas McCord "Mack" Reynolds was an American science fiction writer. His pen names included Clark Collins, Mark Mallory, Guy McCord, Dallas Ross and Maxine Reynolds. Many of his stories were published in "Galaxy Magazine" and "Worlds of If Magazine". He was quite popular in the 1960s, but most of his work subsequently went out of print.

He was an active supporter of the Socialist Labor Party; his
More about Mack Reynolds...
Galactic Medal of Honor Looking Backward, From The Year 2000 Tomorrow Might Be Different The Towers of Utopia Commune 2000 A.D.