Start by marking “Star Trek V: The Final Frontier” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Star Trek V: The Final...

J.M. Dillard

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (Star Trek: The Original Series)

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  429 ratings  ·  18 reviews
On the planet Nimbus III, a harsh world deep in the neutral zone, the three major powers-- Federation, Klingon, and Romulan-- attempt a revolutionary cooperative program, jointly developing the planet as an experiment in peace. But that makes Nimbus III an irresistible target for terrorists, who seize control of the planet, and the Enterprise is sent on a daring mission of ...more
Audio Cassette
Published January 1st 1999 by Audioworks (first published June 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek V, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek V

Heather Domin
In my experience a strong novelization can do wonders for a weak movie; it's one of the reasons I love novelizations so much. Since I like Dillard's Trek books, I thought she'd be a good candidate to do the trick for the weakest TOS movie. I was right. While I still don't care for the story, working it into a novel definitely improved it for me. The minor characters were fleshed out into real people with back-stories and personalities, which I always enjoy; being able to tune in to people's thou ...more
Scott
Here it is, the novelization of the worst-received Star Trek movie of all of them. I've always liked the movie and thought it got a raw deal with critics and fans, though it's far from their greatest. This book, though, has really made the story of the film more fully realized and deep. There is so much additional content that enhances the characters and motivations that the movie only hinted at. To gain a deeper appreciation for Shatner's vision of "Star Trek V," every Trekkie should read this ...more
J.P.
I read this book very fast, and enjoyed it. Sybok, the renegade Vulcan, was neat, and the characters were as good as ever. And it was funny.
4 stars.
Robert Lent
This was much better than the movie. I admit that doesn't take much. But the movie could have been a lot better. There was silliness in the movie like putting horns on horses to make them alien, and Kirk saying "use the horse", a pun on "use the force". In the movie, it just isn't convincing how Sybok was able to influence people, the book makes it much more convincing. Maybe you have to be a hardcore Trek fan to want to read a novelization of Star Trek V, but I think you will appreciate the sto ...more
John
no date grade B-
Emily Petit
This is a great alternative to the actual film, directed by - guess who? - William Shatner himself. It brings the cinemetographical humor to life in a stimulating, imaginative way. Jokes that would never have worked for the original film work very well here. If, like the majority of dedicated Trekkies, you didn't take to Shatner's movie, read this book. You'll actually laugh. Because this one? Why, this is funny.
J.W. Braun
I enjoyed this book much more than the novelizations of Star Trek's II, III, and IV by Vonda McIntyre. Like McIntyre, Dillard adds some of his own stuff to the story he was given by the screenplay writers. Unlike McIntyre, Dillard's stuff added greatly to my enjoyment of the book. In fact, I think Dillard took a film that is somewhat lacking and turned it into a great story! I really enjoyed this book.
Elena
Really nice! I loved Spock's story.
Daniel Kukwa
The plot isn't dong J.M. Dillard any favours, but she certainly moves mountains in order to make this story readable and enjoyable as prose. Her masterful handling of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy helps to make this an especially solid novelization of the most notorious film in the Classic Trek canon.
Wendy
This was better than the movie.

I know, that isn't saying much, is it? But really, it adds so much background and explanation that it actually makes the ridiculous plot kind of believable and interesting. It's very worth a read, simply because it salvages the movie.
Travis
Surprisingly, this made me enjoy the movie more as it filled in some of the gaps and took some weak bits and strengthened them.
Still, the weakest of the original Trek movies, but the book made me aware there was a good story there.
Keith
Better than the movie even though this is just a novelization of that film. It proves that in concept, The Final Frontier probably looked good on paper, but in execution it turned out to be a major onscreen disappointment.
Chris
So much better than the movie, it actually made sense
Terence
I only give this 3 stars because Dillard makes a valiant effort to fill in the gaps and make sense of what is, truth be told, a pretty awful film.
Lori
The book was better than the movie, although if you look at V as a spoof, it's pretty funny. A good read.
Bradley
A fine Star Trek tale definitely worthwhile. Mirrors the movie quite nicely.
Tyler Replogle
The things you learn from these books. Spock has a half bro.
Judith Paterson
Much better than the film, which I remembered very little about.
Daniel Factor
Daniel Factor marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Rick Kohler
Rick Kohler marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Biiku
Biiku marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Alan
Alan added it
Oct 26, 2014
  • Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #3)
  • The Captain's Daughter
  • Rules of Engagement
  • A Flag Full of Stars (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #2)
  • Sarek
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • Mind Meld
  • Deep Domain
  • Traitor Winds (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #3)
  • Dreams of the Raven
  • The Final Nexus
  • Enemy Unseen
  • Final Frontier
  • The Fearful Summons
  • Prime Directive (Star Trek: Worlds in Collision, #2)
  • Twilight's End
  • The Patrian Transgression
The Lost Years (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #1) First Contact (Star Trek: The Next Generation) Star Trek Generations (Star Trek: The Next Generation) Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #6) Resistance (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)