Start by marking “The Exiled (War of the Roses, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Exiled (War of the Roses, #2)

The Exiled (War of the Roses #2)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  782 ratings  ·  42 reviews
In this windswept story set in the lusty fifteenth century, the enchanting Anne faces the challenge of raising her child in exile. Always resourceful, she flourishes as a merchant and is able to support her household. But the local businessmen aren't pleased about competing with a woman and her foes are multiplying around her, desperate to put her back in what they believe ...more
Published June 14th 2005 by Atria Books (first published October 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Exiled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Exiled

As with the first installment of the Anne trilogy (The Innocent), I quite enjoyed this book.

Since being exiled to Brugge, Anne has made a life for herself. She quickly takes advantage of her connection to the powerful Cuttifer house & bullies her way into the trading community, which earns her enemies in the textile guild. Though she stretches her economic wings very sweetly -- Anne does nothing without heaping teaspoons of sweetness -- she refuses to dial down that awesome Sue-given busine
Karla
The second book of the Anne de Bohun saga continues...

Anne has gone to Brugge to live in exile, the secret of her birth father and her affair with England's King Edward IV putting her in danger of being used as a pawn by either Lancaster or York, whoever gets their hands on her. At loose ends with her life, she focuses her energies on partnering in trade with her guardian, merchant Mathew Cuttifer. Although her gender sets the English Merchants against her, she has an ally in the Duke of Burgund
Eva
Started the series because it is partly set in Bruges, but the setting isn't really motivation enough to continue. Customary historical(in a broad sense) fiction,, Mary Sue-ish heroine, which is getting on my nerves.... on to better things.
Ashlee
I am still loving the trilogy. The second book wasn't as good as the first book, in my opinion. There definitily is a lot going on and you have to keep up but it is a good read! I did really enjoy this book! I can't wait for the third one!
Emma Louise
Started but didn't finish. Didn't grab my attention. Glad it was very cheap.
Amanda
Pretty much immediately after I finished the first novel, The Innocent, I ordered The Exiled. I was entranced from the very first page by Posie Graeme-Evans' masterful, strongly woven prose filled with drama, elegance and unparalleled detail that makes this book go down easy.

The Exiled started out with an action-packed bang. Anne, after having gone into exile at the end of The Innocent, is now living in Burgundy with her foster mother Deborah and young son Edward. She hopes to live a peaceful li
Amy
I did not realize this was the 2nd book in a series. So I didn't know that Anne was Henry VI's daughter or any of that until long after I feel like I should have. The plot was really hard to get into for me. I was about to put it down when Edward IV appeared on the scene and then it picked up. The parts with the wedding and immediately leading up to it and following were the best. After that I was just waiting for Edward to come on the scene again.

I'll echo the others with the warning that ther
The Exiled is the second novel in the War of the Roses series featuring Edward IV and Anne de Bohun.

In the first novel of the series, The Innocent, Anne worked her way up into the king's court as a servant and all-knowing medicine-woman attending the queen. Anne's gentle ways, intelligence and beauty caught the eye of King Edward IV, and the pair worked carefully to keep their love for each other a secret. In The Exiled, Anne de Bohun, now having full knowledge of her true identity and royal blo
Lauren
Sarah Wagner
I read The Innocent a number of years ago and I always meant to continue this trilogy before now, but I only found the time recently. The Exiled picks up in the city of Brugge, where Anne, exiled after her adventures at the court of Yorkist King Edward IV, which included an affair with the king and the birth of an illegitimate child, has settled and begun to earn a living as a merchant. She must wrestle with the prejudice and envy of her fellow merchant, who do not care to trade with a woman, mu ...more
Rach
another great read! enjoy the middle of this book the most! did feel the book ended a little flat- until i discovered there was a third, which then made sense! a trilogy to recommend to any hopeless romantics!
Sorcha
Second in the series of Anne de Bohun, who in the previous book had been exiled from Englan by her lover King Edward. In the year since, she has given birth to their son Edward, and establieshed herself under patronage of a wealthy trader in Brugges. She uses her intellegience and gossip to build a fortune, but in doing so, engenders the ire of her growing list of enemies (including that of the Queen of England). Finally things come to a head, bringing her back into the sphere of the King....[re ...more
Trish
A little tedious
Dana Dinowitz
I really like this series. Already deep into the third book.
Chele Lee
Pretty good for a second in a series. looking forward to the uncrowded queen.
Sharon
This one was good historical fiction. I'm not at all familiar with Edward IV, so it was interesting to read about an unfamiliar era. It's the second of three novels, and I haven't read the first in the series, but I wasn't too at sea, always a plus. Minuses: No author's note: I always like to know where fact and fiction differ. Too much hocus pocus: While I generally enjoy fantasy literature, I do not like it mixed with history.
Ronda Trevitt
Once you move past some historical inaccuracy and move to the wonder of story telling, this book is just as good as the first one in the series. The book is fiction not a history lesson, so keep that part clear. Posie certainly tells an intriguing story of love, lust and betrayal! I loved this as much as the first and can't wait to get to the last installment.
Mirah W
I thought this was actually a bit better than The Innocent (book 1)...although with both books I felt the author could have gotten to the point a little quicker. I didn't feel like there was as much character development in this one...it was more like just following them around watching what they were doing. I probably will read book 3.
Rosemary Prawdzik
If you know much about Edward IV's reign and like fiction that stays true to what's known, you may not like this book. However, if you enjoy a good "story" and you like historical "romance" you will enjoy it.
It was entertaining enough to keep me reading - if for no other reason than to see where her story went vs. what really happened.
Stephanie
Enjoyable read. I'm getting better at looking past historical inaccuracies in books, but this one is so far off it's tough to overlook.

Both Edward and Elizabeth going to Brugge for Margaret's wedding, please! Also, was it necessary to mess with the birth order of their children?

95% fiction, 5% historical, lol!
Angie B
Fascinating story of life in the Middle Ages, intrigue and treachery among the Plantagenets. Also the struggle of women to have a voice, to be permitted run their own business, amid the power of the Merchant Guilds.

I like the writing style of Posie Graeme Evans, can't wait to read #3 in the trilogy.

Ange
My sister gave me this trilogy to read and I must say I have thoroughly enjoyed the first of the series. Posie Graeme-Evans unique story telling has you captivated by this medieval love story following the life and love of Anne de Bohnn and King Edward. I will be starting The Exiled very soon.
Beth (moonivy)
Jul 06, 2007 Beth (moonivy) rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: historical fiction readers.
Read 7/5-7/6/07
The Exiled is the second book in a trilogy. Anne de Bohun, exiled and living in Bruges, continues to guilessly enchant any stray male that happens into her
line of view and in her spare time builds a wealthy merchant house. I liked this book, sarcasm aside. Recommended.

Mary Bronson
This was an AMAZING book! It was just as good as the 1st book. It is filled with passion and love. Reading this I feel Anne growing as a character. I'm starting to hate the Queen. She is acting like such a bitch, but sometimes I don't blame her.
Lizzie Bissett
This book was even better than the first (being a trilogy). Just as you think Anne de Bohun has escaped her captors and other terrors, a new one begins! I honestly thought she'd never see the king again! Can't wait to start the third one!!
Kylie
Couldn't wait to follow the story of Anne, the mistress of King Edward IV. Anne lives in exile in Brugge and has a big secret - she is the daughter of Henry V1, the king upsurged by the man she loves. Thoroughly enjoyed.
Annette McIntyre
I didn't like this book. It had a great idea for a plot, and then it got overwhelmed in a ton of minutia and the whole story didn't really hang together for me. I gave up about halfway through and have no plans on finshing it.
Melanie
I will read just about anything but my favorite is historical fiction.

This book sucked. It is the first book I have every read that I did not finished. It was predictable, boring, and had a bad story line.

Jen
An interesting story with lots of historical details -- although a bit slower than the first book. Beware of a few explicit passages (easy to see coming and skip!). Book 2 in a series of 3.
Melissa
Oct 27, 2008 Melissa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Amy wilks
A noblewoman finds refuge in Brugge away from King Edward of England the father of her child. But their love does not keep them apart for long. Excellent story.
  • The Shield of Three Lions (Alix of Wanthwaite, #1)
  • The Rose of York: Crown of Destiny (The Rose of York Trilogy, #2)
  • The Courtesan (The Dark Queen Saga, #2)
  • Duchess of Aquitaine: A Novel of Eleanor
  • The First Princess of Wales
  • Now Face to Face
  • Rivals for the Crown (Highland, #2)
  • The Fool's Tale
  • Lucrezia Borgia and the Mother of Poisons
  • Lucrezia Borgia: A Novel
  • Duchess: A Novel of Sarah Churchill
  • Harlot Queen
  • Daughter of York
  • The Mercy Seller (Illuminator, #2)
  • All the Queen's Players
  • The Knight of the Sacred Lake (Guenevere, #2)
  • The Tailor's Daughter
  • The Canterbury Papers  (Alais Capet, #1)
Posie Graeme-Evans has worked in the Australian film and television industry for the last twenty-five years as an editor, director, and producer on hundreds of prime-time television programs, including McLeod's Daughters and Hi-5. She lives in Sydney with her husband and creative partner, Andrew Blaxland.
More about Posie Graeme-Evans...
The Innocent (War of the Roses, #1) The Uncrowned Queen (War of the Roses, #3) The Dressmaker The Island House The Anne Trilogy: The Innocent, The Exiled, and The Uncrowned Queen