Start by marking “1811 Dictionary Of The Vulgar Tongue: A Dictionary Of Buckish Slang, University Wit, And Pickpocket Eloquence” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
1811 Dictionary Of The...

Francis Grose

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  369 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
The knees. To bring any one down on his marrow bones; to make him beg pardon on his knees: some derive this from Mary's bones, i.e. the bones bent in honor of the Virgin Mary; but this seems rather far- fetched. Marrow bones and cleavers; principal instruments in the band of rough music: these are generally performed on by butchers, on marriages, elections, riding skimming ...more
Published January 1st 1984 by Bibliophile Books (first published January 1st 1785)

To ask other readers questions about 1811 Dictionary Of The Vulgar Tongue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1811 Dictionary Of The Vulgar Tongue

Robin Hobb
Mar 01, 2013 Robin Hobb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this indispensable addition to my reference shelf as a gift from my friend Sean Glenn. I still owe him!
This dictionary has furnished me with incredible insights into English as she was spoken, and given me wonderful bits of slang and cant to scatter throughout my novels. It is an enjoyable read by itself, and often I've gone to look up one word, and crawled out of the book two hours later. I cannot recommend this highly enough!
Chris
Sep 23, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue No, that’s not good enough. The title page of the original (a facsimile is included in this edition) is much more informative as well as entertaining, and is worth reproducing, after a fashion.

Lexicon Balatronicum
A DICTIONARY OF Buckish Slang, University Wit, AND PICKPOCKET ELOQUENCE.
Compiled originally by Captain Grose.

AND NOW CONSIDERABLY ALTERED AND ENLARGED,
WITH THE MODERN CHANGES AND IMPROVEMENTS,
BY A MEMBER OF THE WHIP CLUB.
ASSISTED BY Hell-Fire Dick, and
Jacey
Mar 11, 2012 Jacey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I downloaded this for research into the period for the magic pirate novel and ended up reading if from beginning to end rather than dipping in. If you know the terms you can look up their meaning. As most dictionaries, it's in alphabetical order, however it doesn't work backwards. To someone looking back from the distance of 200 years the terms are mind-boggling and often hilarious, occasionally, jaw-droppingly literal. ('WINDWARD PASSAGE. One who uses or navigates the windward passage; a sodomi ...more
catechism
Nov 20, 2015 catechism rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great in every way, if not exactly a riveting page-turner. Perhaps my favorite part is the fact that the word 'cunt' was deemed too vulgar even for a vulgar dictionary, and is otherwise referred to almost exclusively as "the Monosyllable." So there are a lot of entries like "Mother of All Saints: The Monosyllable." A++ will reference again.
Genean
Apr 17, 2015 Genean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
Even with cant language time has changed some meanings. Very good resource book for lovers of the regency period. It also illuminates the life & lifestyle of those days.
Sarah Tipper
Jul 18, 2014 Sarah Tipper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Word nerds will love this book. I could go back to 1811 and be very rude now that I've read it. I expect I'll be using the word 'fundament' instead of bottom right here in the present and should I need to refer to what differentiates males from females I'm spoilt for choice now. If you want to add some creativity to your swearing you'd benefit from reading this book.
Maggie Stewart-Grant
May 10, 2010 Maggie Stewart-Grant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historians, anthropologists, linguists, English literature afficionados and writers.
Recommended to Maggie by: Shaun McLaughlin (inadvertantly)
What a fun read! Most dictionaries are dry reading, but this is akin to going through the Urban Dictionary online. I laughed out loud in many places. The words were hilarious, but moreso the descriptions. For anyone who likes to read and learn about antiquated behaviours and the origins of some unusual phrases still in use today, this is worth the time.
Jien
Jan 28, 2015 Jien rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is as racist, sexist, and prudish as one would expect for a book written over 200 years ago. However, it provides a great glimpse into a very different culture from here and now. The slang we use says a lot about what we value, and this was a very interesting read. Some words presented as "vulgar" are entirely commonplace and ordinary today, and some words have fallen out of use entirely but could certainly use a comeback (such as "to vowel," not paying bets right away and instead listing vow ...more
John Sutherland
Jun 21, 2012 John Sutherland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This, often-scatological dictionary (Covent Garden Nun; Abbess; Pilgrim's salve; Balum rancum; Beast with two backs, etc.) and its earthy expressions, many undoubtedly familiar to Shakespeare and Chaucer, broadens the scope of anyone's English, and sometimes in directions one would rather not go. It is NOT for the faint hearted, so be warned. Some expressions will also confound most readers for a while and may never be understood (one such is 'monosyllable') However, in my own writings, some of ...more
Lance Schaubert
Sep 13, 2014 Lance Schaubert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nothing so fully captures the dialect of pirates, scalawags, cheapskates and conmen as this dictionary. It is the "urban dictionary" of the 18th century and is worth a gander for anyone writing anything set in this time.
Jenny Schmenny
Sep 13, 2011 Jenny Schmenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Buckish Slang and Pickpocket Eloquence?" Originally printed in 1785 and full of gems like:

flogging cully: A debilitated lecher (commonly an old one), whose torpid powers require stimulating by flagellation.

jibber the kibber: A method of deceiving seamen, by fixing a candle and lantern round the neck of a horse, one of whose fore feet is tied up; this at night has the appearance of a ship's light. ships bearing towards it, run on shore, and being wrecked, are plundered by the inhabitants. This
Raving Redcoat
Jan 23, 2016 Raving Redcoat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 18th-century
Fascinating look at slang of the late 18th century. A good addition to the shelf of anyone interested in that period.
Jennifer Erwin
Jan 19, 2015 Jennifer Erwin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a dictionary, but it's pretty cool to see words that I've picked up from historical novels and realize that I'd been reading and understanding them correctly. Also interesting to see words that are still in use today.
Nicki Markus
Another excellent reference work for writers of historical fiction (and readers too).
Gerardo Pleasent
Eye opening journey into early 19th century English slang.
Steve Mitchell
Jul 31, 2011 Steve Mitchell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As this book is essentially a dictionary, it does not really make for good reading from cover to cover. However, as a historical reference book that gives an insight into what was considered to be slang and expletives in 1785 and exhibits how the English language has evolved it is excellent. This book is actually a facsimile of a first edition of Captain Francis Grose’s book that any pre-teen schoolboy would have given his right arm for: a dictionary of rude words!
Elizabeth
Oct 05, 2009 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank goodness Captain Grose decided to collect these slang terms and colloaquialisms into a dictionary; they might have been lost forever otherwise. As Alistair Williams says in the introduction, 'they present us with a fascinating window on the lives of ordinary people at the end of the eighteenth century...Grose captures a bawdy culture alive with its own rich language.'
Sally Michelle
Dec 01, 2012 Sally Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is just a fun, fabulous read. Absolutely silly. Having been first published in 1785 (I think...? Now I feel like I should go check...) this book has seriously delightful slang from the era.

An improvement could be made if their was a Table of Contents or Index.
Sara
May 14, 2015 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
URINAL OF THE PLANETS - Ireland: so called from the frequent rains in that island.
HOBBLEDYGEE - A pace between a walk and a run, a dog-trot.
GRANNY - An abbreviation of grandmother; also the name of an idiot, famous for licking her eye, who died Nov. 14, 1719.
Kilian Metcalf
Feb 21, 2014 Kilian Metcalf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are writing a Regency romance, I don't see how you can do without this resource. It was fun to read from A-Z and very interesting to see how many expressions still hold their original meaning and have made the transition from slang to mainstream.
Abigail
Sep 08, 2012 Abigail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I downloaded it on a whim and it is now part of a devilish exercise of whit and mayhem I have planned for October. This book seriously would have come I handy during a few of
My research projects during senior year and my grad studies!

Sarah Jacquie
Feb 20, 2011 Sarah Jacquie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy-satire
FUNNY! Although thanks to my nerdy reading of old novels or history seeking I've heard a good sample of these words, but for every one I knew there are about 20 I don't. Total treasure, even their vulgar words were more elegant in speech.
Jaimey
Ok, so I didn't actually read this cover-to-cover. I do read bits of it quite often, however, finding it a very useful tool when researching the Regency underworld. I found it to be quite entertaining, as well. :o)
Heather
Nov 29, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I expected this to be a tool I would use briefly and only occasionally, but it's hard not to get sucked in for an hour or more at a time. Recommended for those interested in language, history, and old pop culture.
Lee Rowan
May 25, 2010 Lee Rowan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: language lovers
Very useful for a writer of historical fiction - EXCEPT that it really needs an index. Fun to browse but frustrating when you would like to find a word fast.
DW
Specifically of the early 1800's. A great companion to all the wonderfully (and wickedly) written Victorian erotic novels and historical classics.
Howard Brazee
Mar 28, 2016 Howard Brazee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating free e-book dictionary showing "vulgar" language in England in 1811. So many words show how tough life was then.
Gar Ver
Jul 26, 2007 Gar Ver rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: haberdashers of pronouns
The title of the book says it all. A dictionary of vulgar slang from the streets of the early 1800s. Indispensable!
Paul
Aug 07, 2010 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting resource of words that have mostly disappeared from modern usage.
Bettie☯

Francis Grose. Author of Dictionary of The Vulgar Tongue

Goodreads Librari...: The 1811 Dictionary of teh Vulgar Tongue 3 14 Jan 18, 2015 05:43PM
  • The American Heritage Dictionary of Indo-European Roots
  • A Dictionary of Superstitions
  • Forensics: A Guide for Writers
  • The Oxford Illustrated History of the British Monarchy
  • Why Do We Say It?
  • The Merriam-Webster Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
  • Manners, Custom And Dress During The Middle Ages And During The Renaissance Period (Forgotten Books)
  • Meet a Jerk, Get to Work, How to Write Villains and the Occasional Hero
  • London by Tube: A History of Underground Station Names
  • Daily Life in Victorian London: An Extraordinary Anthology
  • Descriptionary: A Thematic Dictionary
  • The Deviant's Pocket Guide to the Outlandish Sexual Desires Barely Contained in Your Subconscious
  • Fashion in the Time of Jane Austen
  • Introduction To The Old Testament
  • Be a Sex-Writing Strumpet
  • An Intermediate Greek-English Lexicon
  • How I Wrote My First Book: The Story Behind the Story
  • English Society in the Eighteenth Century

“BEARD SPLITTER. A man much given to wenching.” 0 likes
“BEAST WITH TWO BACKS. A man and woman in the act of copulation. Shakespeare in Othello.” 0 likes