Start by marking “The Patrian Transgression” as Want to Read:
The Patrian Transgression

The Patrian Transgression (Star Trek: The Original Series #69)

The "U.S.S. Enterprise" TM is sent to Patria I to discuss that world's application for Federation membership. But Captain Kirk and his landing party soon discover that the Patrians have a strict system of laws, laws that are enforced by a telepathic police force. In the midst of this startling revelation, the crew finds themselves in the middle of Patria's growing politica ...more
Published April 1st 1994 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about The Patrian Transgression, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Patrian Transgression

A
Dec 02, 2009 A rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek
After reading a handful of TNG books, It strikes me in TOS novels that Kirk is kind of an idiot sometimes. Thank God for Spock or he'd never solve any mysteries~

This book was pretty good though, albeit this is a concept I've seen & read about a hundred times before, ie 'Thoughtcrimes'. The hypocrisy and politics in this story were so frustrating that I actually had to put the book down and take a breath. In that respect, the book did it's job given that i 'cared' enough to even be annoyed.

Ki
Mike Crate
Mar 11, 2017 Mike Crate rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi, star-trek
The Enterprise is assigned a mission to the as of yet unaligned world of Patria I who have expressed a desire to become Federation members. This world has been monitored for the last two decades and have just achieved limited FTL capability and learning they were not alone initiated contact thus forcing the issue. The world while seemingly embracing the concept of the Federation is undergoing limited rebel activity which suddenly escalates with the use of energy based weapons which can only have ...more
Stephen
Dec 22, 2016 Stephen rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek, st-tos
In The Patrian Transgression, the Enterprise arrives at the planet Patria to investigate a plea for help. According to the planet's leaders, the Klingons are supplying weapons to a terrorist organization, threatening to destabilize the republic completely. The Patrians would like the Federation's help, but when Kirk beams down to the planet he is contacted by one of the rebels and told that the powers that be are lying to him. On the heels of this revelation, Kirk learns that Patria employs a re ...more
Paul Lunger
Aug 13, 2011 Paul Lunger rated it it was ok
From April 1994, Simon Hawke gives us a story that at times tries to do too much too quickly & at times not enough. The story revolves around the Patrians who have invited the Federation in to consider them for admission & also to help put down a rebel revolt. The race itself has stumbled onto the outside community on their own despite being unable to solve the majority of issues that would normally lead to interstellar travel. Hawke's portrayal of the Patrians themselves comes off fine ...more
Andrew
Jul 10, 2011 Andrew rated it really liked it
Another of a seemingly never ending supply of Trek books I picked up at a charity shop but so far the best of the bunch.
The characterisation as usual doesn't stray that far from the TV series which ultimately saves a lot of time...we know McCoy is a touch Techy..Spock is a Vulcan Sherlock Holmes and James T Kirk has an eye for the ladies(though in this one it's another crew member who gets the girl)and as such we don't have to invest much brain power getting into the characters...luckily this is
Wendy
Oct 07, 2011 Wendy rated it liked it
This was okay, but pretty predictable. As with so many ST novels, there's nothing to really pinpoint to dislike it, but it's not the greatest in literature ever. Just some forgettable fun, a guilty pleasure of sorts.

This one is no different than the others. Read it or leave it, it's just a fun little jaunt into the ST universe and back out. It's not the greatest, but it's not the worst, either.
Phillip
Sep 19, 2012 Phillip rated it liked it
This was a pretty good "Original Series" story. I did spot one typo in the beginning of the book (they called a ship by one name, then called it by a completely different name one page later). But I've found some Star Trek novels that do not follow proper characterization ... but this one did a pretty good job. I found the story engaging and interesting. If you are looking for a nice and cheap TOS novel, this will do the job. It's not the greatest, but it's good.
Stephen Fender
Mar 16, 2013 Stephen Fender rated it liked it
This was an interesting twist on the "mind reading cops" and the people that fear them story line. The supporting players were well rounded, but not as three dimension as I'd like to have seen. The Enterprise crew was well represented, and it was nice to see McCoy get a little action this time instead of Kirk. The dynamic between Leonard and Kim--while FAR from being the center of the story--was done very well and felt 'real'. Two thumbs up for this fine Trek adventure.
J.D.
Nov 02, 2014 J.D. rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Not a fav novel of mine, but a nice TOS read. The book could make a better impact if the problematic of Mind unit could be written in a few books not just one. Good idea, wrong format. The characters, thankfully, true to themselves. I did not like Jordan.
Kreg
Feb 27, 2010 Kreg rated it it was amazing
Certainly one of the top 10-15 best TOS books I've read. A bit heavy-handed in places (mainly dealing with the 'diplomats' and telepaths), but characterizations were well done. Plot was excellent and held my interest throughout the book.
ral
Apr 24, 2014 ral rated it really liked it
Decent book- compared to some published Star Trek fiction. It gives a little more interest, and was easy to complete in the two hours that I did complete it in.
Obe Hobma
Obe Hobma rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2016
Benjamin Potter
Benjamin Potter rated it did not like it
Jun 08, 2014
Andreas
Andreas rated it liked it
May 20, 2012
Kenneth
Kenneth rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2011
Lauren Donoho
Lauren Donoho rated it it was ok
Feb 06, 2012
Greg Lindsay
Greg Lindsay rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2012
Bruce Sorge
Bruce Sorge rated it liked it
May 02, 2014
Curtis McConnell
Curtis McConnell rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2016
Joseph
Joseph rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2013
Catslyn
Catslyn rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2015
Dominik
Dominik rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2008
Joanna Carr
Joanna Carr rated it it was ok
Jan 17, 2013
Scott Baker
Scott Baker rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2012
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2012
Lkroguelett
Lkroguelett rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2015
Roger Decker
Roger Decker rated it liked it
May 07, 2014
Cherie
Cherie rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2011
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2014
  • From the Depths
  • The Fearful Summons
  • Enemy Unseen
  • The Starship Trap
  • Recovery (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #4)
  • The Great Starship Race
  • Timetrap
  • The Cry of the Onlies
  • The Joy Machine
aka J.D. Masters, Nicholas V. Yermakov

He was born Nicholas Valentin Yermakov, but began writing as Simon Hawke in 1984 and later changed his legal name to Hawke. He has also written near future adventure novels under the penname "J. D. Masters" and a series of humorous mystery novels.
More about Simon Hawke...

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 113 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire