When Harriet Met Sojourner

When Harriet Met Sojourner

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Two women with similar backgrounds. Both slaves; both fiercely independent. Both great, in different ways.

Harriet Tubman: brave pioneer who led her fellow slaves to freedom, larger than life . . . yearning to be free.

Sojourner Truth: strong woman who spoke up for African American rights, tall as a tree . . . yearning to be free.

One day in 1864, the lives of these two women...more
Published October 16th 2007 by Katherine Tegen Books (first published October 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about When Harriet Met Sojourner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Harriet Met Sojourner

Well written. The story for Harriet is accurate, so I assume that The facts for Sojourner are also true. Love the illustrations. The only issue I have with the story is that Sojourner asks "Aren't I a woman?" This is her most famous quote. Why change it? http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/so...
Samantha
A shared picture book bio of two women who worked tirelessly for freedom. Two page spreads trade off between Harriet Tubman and Sojourner Truth's lives leading up to their fateful meeting.

I really wanted to love this book, but the fateful meeting fell a little flat for me because the whole story builds to that one moment, though virtually nothing is known about their meeting.

I found the artwork to be a bit stronger than the text, especially the approach the artist took to his subjects by piecing...more
Mary
This is a story of two incredible women, Harriet Tubman and Sojourner Truth. Born into slavery, both were fighters; hardship and cruelty could not stop the vision of freedom that held fast within each. The fictional meeting between the women occurs in Boston after a reader has been witness to two lives dedicated to the cause of justice and equality. The illustrations are done in rich Earth tones, setting a somber mood, and the eyes of each character vividly display emotions such as fear, sorrow,...more
Barbara
This picture book biography follows the similar lives of two women well known for their courage and determination to be free. Through example and their own words and deeds, Harriet Tubman and Sojourner Truth became leaders in the abolitionist movement. The text and the colorful illustrations alternate the stories of each woman, even describing their name changes, from Araminta to Harriet and Isabella to Sojourner. Readers will enjoy tracing their separate journeys to freedom and wondering about...more
Roberta
This is an appealing picture book with good information about two strong black women born as slaves -- Harriet Tubman, whose given name was "Araminta," and Sojourner Truth, whose given name was Isabella Bomefree (in Dutch, bomefree means "tall tree," and she was very tall! 6 feet!) The two have an imagined meeting in Boston in 1864 where they each say, "I've heard of you."

The illustrations in the book are very colorful, and the character's faces show much. I found it a little confusing, however...more
Jelly Kate
This very basic outline of Harriet Tubman's and Sojourner Truth's biographies, beginning with their childhoods -- as Elizabeth and Araminta. The story relates that they were both born into slavery, how they overcame slavery, and how they helped others to be free. I did not know that they had met each other, until I read this book. Harriet -- Araminta -- tried to save people even as early as age 7, when she was nearly killed while defending a little boy who was trying to escape the slave overseer...more
Kirsten
This is a wonderful picture book biography of Harriet Tubman and Sojourner Truth. The text is simple enough for a younger reader to understand, but doesn't talk down, and offers a lot of solid biographical information. The illustrations, by Shane W. Evans, are what really makes the book, though; Tubman, Truth, and the other people around them come to life in these drawings, which evoke wonderful expression in very simple lines.
Phoebe
I enjoyed the artistry of language in this book, and the attention to detail. Otherwise, this is a broad-strokes story about two of history's greats that is essentially missing the most enticing details (through no fault of its own; those details are unknown.) I did learn that Harriet was a small woman at 5 feet tall and that Sojourner spoke Dutch. If I'd learned those fact earlier in life, I certainly hadn't remembered them.
Jenny
This wonderfully summarizes the life of Harriet Tubman and Sojourner Truth, highlighting commonalities between them as well as differences in their life experience. Then it culminates in reflecting on what they might have done and felt when they were able to meet in 1864 in Boston. Great glimpse into these two remarkable women's lives. The illustrations are wonderful, as well.
Scottie
Fabulous book! Learned a lot of good information about both women. I would definitely use this in the classroom when discussing the Underground Railroad.
Jim
when harriet met sojourner they... what? no notes or photos were taken, so you end up w/a nice bio of the two women but don't what happened.
Rachel
Good book to use for the civil rights time period
Mckinley
A bit superficial about two amazing women.
Wanda W.
Wanda W. marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Chalese
Chalese marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Emh
Emh added it
Mar 24, 2014
Arben
Arben marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Cheron Turner
Cheron Turner marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Maura Badji
Maura Badji marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Professor of history at Queen's University, Belfast, Northern Ireland. Specializes in American history, African-American history, the Civil War, and women's history. Previously taught at Brandeis and Harvard universities. Born in 1952, grew up in Kansas City, Missouri. Studied sociology and history at Harvard, earned a master's degree from Sussex and a doctorate from Princeton.
More about Catherine Clinton...
Mrs. Lincoln: A Life Harriet Tubman: The Road to Freedom The Plantation Mistress Tara Revisited: Women, War, & the Plantation Legend Phillis's Big Test