Start by marking “When Harriet Met Sojourner” as Want to Read:
When Harriet Met Sojourner

When Harriet Met Sojourner

Two women with similar backgrounds. Both slaves; both fiercely independent. Both great, in different ways.

Harriet Tubman: brave pioneer who led her fellow slaves to freedom, larger than life . . . yearning to be free.

Sojourner Truth: strong woman who spoke up for African American rights, tall as a tree . . . yearning to be free.

One day in 1864, the lives of these two women
Published October 16th 2007 by Katherine Tegen Books (first published October 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about When Harriet Met Sojourner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Harriet Met Sojourner

Courtney
Dec 31, 2014 Courtney rated it really liked it
An interesting read, with lots of information about two fascinating figures from American history, the famous Harriet Tubman, and the less well-known, though equally impressive Sojourner Truth.

Each of the women's lives are told about in a fair bit of detail, and this is a very good resource for young readers, that will interest them in reading into the subject further.

Unfortunately I found the title is somewhat misleading - while the two women did meet, in the book and (apparently) in real life
Well written. The story for Harriet is accurate, so I assume that The facts for Sojourner are also true. Love the illustrations. The only issue I have with the story is that Sojourner asks "Aren't I a woman?" This is her most famous quote. Why change it? http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/so...
Mary
May 06, 2008 Mary rated it liked it
This is a story of two incredible women, Harriet Tubman and Sojourner Truth. Born into slavery, both were fighters; hardship and cruelty could not stop the vision of freedom that held fast within each. The fictional meeting between the women occurs in Boston after a reader has been witness to two lives dedicated to the cause of justice and equality. The illustrations are done in rich Earth tones, setting a somber mood, and the eyes of each character vividly display emotions such as fear, sorrow, ...more
Barbara
This picture book biography follows the similar lives of two women well known for their courage and determination to be free. Through example and their own words and deeds, Harriet Tubman and Sojourner Truth became leaders in the abolitionist movement. The text and the colorful illustrations alternate the stories of each woman, even describing their name changes, from Araminta to Harriet and Isabella to Sojourner. Readers will enjoy tracing their separate journeys to freedom and wondering about ...more
Roberta
Feb 26, 2013 Roberta rated it liked it
This is an appealing picture book with good information about two strong black women born as slaves -- Harriet Tubman, whose given name was "Araminta," and Sojourner Truth, whose given name was Isabella Bomefree (in Dutch, bomefree means "tall tree," and she was very tall! 6 feet!) The two have an imagined meeting in Boston in 1864 where they each say, "I've heard of you."

The illustrations in the book are very colorful, and the character's faces show much. I found it a little confusing, however
Jelly Kate
This very basic outline of Harriet Tubman's and Sojourner Truth's biographies, beginning with their childhoods -- as Elizabeth and Araminta. The story relates that they were both born into slavery, how they overcame slavery, and how they helped others to be free. I did not know that they had met each other, until I read this book. Harriet -- Araminta -- tried to save people even as early as age 7, when she was nearly killed while defending a little boy who was trying to escape the slave overseer ...more
Samantha
A shared picture book bio of two women who worked tirelessly for freedom. Two page spreads trade off between Harriet Tubman and Sojourner Truth's lives leading up to their fateful meeting.

I really wanted to love this book, but the fateful meeting fell a little flat for me because the whole story builds to that one moment, though virtually nothing is known about their meeting.

I found the artwork to be a bit stronger than the text, especially the approach the artist took to his subjects by piecing
Phoebe
Sep 23, 2013 Phoebe rated it it was ok
Shelves: picturebooks
I enjoyed the artistry of language in this book, and the attention to detail. Otherwise, this is a broad-strokes story about two of history's greats that is essentially missing the most enticing details (through no fault of its own; those details are unknown.) I did learn that Harriet was a small woman at 5 feet tall and that Sojourner spoke Dutch. If I'd learned those fact earlier in life, I certainly hadn't remembered them.
Kirsten
This is a wonderful picture book biography of Harriet Tubman and Sojourner Truth. The text is simple enough for a younger reader to understand, but doesn't talk down, and offers a lot of solid biographical information. The illustrations, by Shane W. Evans, are what really makes the book, though; Tubman, Truth, and the other people around them come to life in these drawings, which evoke wonderful expression in very simple lines.
Jenny
This wonderfully summarizes the life of Harriet Tubman and Sojourner Truth, highlighting commonalities between them as well as differences in their life experience. Then it culminates in reflecting on what they might have done and felt when they were able to meet in 1864 in Boston. Great glimpse into these two remarkable women's lives. The illustrations are wonderful, as well.
Terri
Beautiful illustrations and a great story. My 6yo loves to read about both Tubman and Truth, and somehow this book describing when they met one another made her realize that they really were real women.
Scottie
Aug 11, 2009 Scottie rated it it was amazing
Fabulous book! Learned a lot of good information about both women. I would definitely use this in the classroom when discussing the Underground Railroad.
Jim
when harriet met sojourner they... what? no notes or photos were taken, so you end up w/a nice bio of the two women but don't what happened.
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Sharla
Sharla rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2013
Kristy
Kristy rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Edward Sullivan
Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2011
Nancy Kotkin
Nancy Kotkin rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2015
Carolina
Carolina rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2013
Nathalie
Nathalie rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2013
Michelle Ashby
Michelle Ashby rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2015
Rachel
Good book to use for the civil rights time period
Jean
Jean rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2016
Sabrina
Sabrina rated it it was amazing
Leo
Leo rated it really liked it
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2016
Cindy
Cindy rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2013
Coody Homeschool
Coody Homeschool rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2015
Elic
Elic rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Professor of history at Queen's University, Belfast, Northern Ireland. Specializes in American history, African-American history, the Civil War, and women's history. Previously taught at Brandeis and Harvard universities. Born in 1952, grew up in Kansas City, Missouri. Studied sociology and history at Harvard, earned a master's degree from Sussex and a doctorate from Princeton.
More about Catherine Clinton...