Start by marking “The Man with the Iron Heart” as Want to Read:
The Man with the Iron Heart

The Man with the Iron Heart

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  569 ratings  ·  46 reviews
What if V-E Day didn’t end World War II in Europe? What if, instead, the Allies had to face a potent, even fanatical, postwar Nazi resistance? Such a movement, based in the fabled Alpine Redoubt, was in fact a real threat, ultimately neutralized by Germany’s flagging resources and squabbling officials. But had SS Obergruppenführer Reinhard Heydrich, the notorious Man with...more
Published July 22nd 2008 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Man with the Iron Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man with the Iron Heart

Tony duncan
Sep 06, 2008 Tony duncan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: sci fi history fanatics
Recommended to Tony by: eMusic audio
A very interesting idea for a book.
In this alternaitve History, there is one minor eventy that changed which allowed nazis tyo fight on after they "lost" the war. It mixes real historical personages with imoptant fictional characters and builds a very believable story about how it would play out, if the Nazis developed sophisticated terrorist technics while Germany was occupied.
This is much more subtle than the Orson Scott cvard book ( see my review of "Empire"). which was a prety transparant i...more
Justin
Sadly, this book was a huge disappointment. I am normally a huge fan of Harry Turtledove, but he seriously drops the ball in this book. Many of his other books cleverly integrate major historical events into the narrative and weave an interesting blend of history and fiction. This book, however, simply takes the current problems and arguments over the Iraq War and replaces insurgents with Nazis and George W. Bush with Harry Truman. The thing that I loved about Turtledove was that many of his nar...more
Scott Tarver
A wonderful "what if" story about the Nazi werewolves following the end or World War II in Europe. It's hard for me to put the book down.
Matt
Mar 29, 2009 Matt rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone curious about Iraq and WWII
Recommended to Matt by: Audible
Turtledove presents and interesting premise: what if the Nazi's started a guerrilla war with the US occupation of Germany? I was drawn to it because I read the book Fiasco, a book by Thomas Ricks about the Iraq war, and I wanted to see how it compared with Turtledove's re-interpretation.

My favorite part was seeing how Turtledove portrayed the two powers affected by the Nazi insurgency -- the US and Russia -- and how they differed in fighting it. It brought to light some of the "weaknesses" of th...more
Christopher
Aaron
In a tale that parallels todays debate about the war in Iraq and our battles againtst al-Qaeda, Turtledove's most recent novel presents an alternate timeline in which World War II did not quite conclude with V-E Day. The Nazi's have continued fighting under the leadership of Reinhard Heydrich, who was the second in command of the SS. In reality he died in 1942, when he was attacked by Czech assassins. Turtledove has him survive and start an underground resistance group as Germany is falling to t...more
Brett
The premise is interesting: What if a high ranking Nazi officer anticipated losing the war, and stockpiled weapons and people to fight a guerrilla war against the occupying Allied forces afterward?

Clearly written to make people think about the American occupation in Iraq, this novel had promise. Sadly, the promise goes unfulfilled. Turtledove repeats himself a lot. Characters muse on the same topics over and over, with little variation. Scenes of suicidal terrorist acts play out again and again,...more
Thomas Vree
I’ve heard about his stuff for years, his alternate history, and decided to try a one off story, rather than one that was part of a larger series. And I really didn’t dig it. The premise is based on a fact – at the end of WW2, there was a half hearted attempt by the Nazis to organize a guerrilla resistance to the Allied occupation. It never really came to much. Despite the fact that there were still die-hard holdouts, by and large, the Germans had been well and truly crushed. The story here is t...more
Hale
What if the Germans had refused to admit defeat, and had resisted the allied occupation? The Germans had outline plans for a post-conquest resistance, but they were never seriously pursued.

Turtledove's alternative history fixes this by giving the Nazi underground army a real leader -- the "Man with the Iron Heart." The title was Hitler's sobriquet for one of the most ruthless and capable of his paladins -- SS Obergruppenführer Reinhard Heydrich.

One of the primary administrative architects of th...more
Matimate
What I learned from this book ... absolutely nothing except one thing making an alternative history is the fancy way how to write about Nazi and toy with the things without being accused as sympathizer. Author toyed with different point of views and sometimes it swung in to the melodrama of cheap kind, wait it is all right after all this book is not highlight of the literature, so it is fitting.
The WW II was over and Nazi third Reich was the history, well not at all in the undergrounds where ev...more
Bibliophile
Apparently June was my month for "what-if?" novels about Nazi Germany; after Philip Kerr's Hitler's Peace, I read Harry Turtledove's The Man with the Iron Heart, which posits that Reinhard Heydrich survived the attempt on his life in 1942 and went on to head a bloody Nazi resistance to the Allies after May 8, 1945. Turtledove draws extensively from contemporary events in Iraq to describe a world in which Nazi "Werewolves" blow up courthouses (and assassinate Konrad Adenauer as well as General Pa...more
Liviu
This book has a simple premise:

What if Germany after the surrender in 1945 would have been like Iraq after the surrender in 2003? R. Heydrich is not assassinated in Prague in 1943 and prepares the resistance for 2 years before Germany loses.

The action proper starts in May 1945, just after the surrender, with 2 US soldiers looking at a German civilian that seems to check out the wreckage of a truck to see if there is something that can be salvaged - of course we "know" that actually the German is...more
Stefan
The Man With The Iron Heart is fun to read and raises some interesting and important points about what would have happened if the SS and German Armed Forces had conducted commando and partisan activity after the collapse of the Third Reich. The premise of the book is that the assassination attempt against Reinhard Heydrich in 1942 failed and that Heydrich went on to command the werewolf organization. One of the main questions that Turtledove entertainingly tries to answer in this novel is how th...more
Daniel
I wanted to like this book more. Really, I did. But unlike a lot of Turledove's books this one felt really heavy handed in the manner in which he overlaid post WW2 Germany.

With the non-death of Reinhard Heydrich the Allies encounters a true opposition in post-defeat Germany. Heydrich has had 3 years to prepare for the downfall and subsequent resistance inside Germany. And to anyone who has followed the news in the past decade, every tool that Al Quada has deployed is in the arsenal of Heydrich'...more
Doug
I thought the premise for the book was very interesting, and although many of the reviewers don't like the direct corelation with our situation in Iraq/Afghanistan, I still found it fascinating to see how the story played out.

I didn't rate the novel more highly because of the lack of depth in the characters and some of the personal story lines. It felt to me that the author was trying to cover a broad set of people involved, but never really explored any one of them in too much depth. I would ha...more
Michael Elia
Excellent, typical Turtledove quality, which is saying a lot!
Steven Kent
This was the second book I have read by Harry Turtledove, an author I have long admired for his imaginative misuse of history. It takes a lot of research and confidence for a writer to successfully twist history and illustrate what could have been. You need to know the setting, the technology, and the personalities inside and out, and few authors can do that like Mr. Turtledove.

In this case, I was not swept away by the plot itself--a story about the Nazis losing the war and then nearly freeing G...more
Kathy
Typical Turtledove....he writes the same characters over and over again but you read the new books anyway for the changed context and the fun of agreeing or disagreeing with his take on how history could have changed.

In this case, having spent a considerable amount of time studying post-war Germany, he creates a credible and compelling portrait of what could have been different. Although I personally think he underestimates the amount of German participation in de-Nazification and German disgust...more
Sheri Fresonke Harper
Fans of Harry Turtledove and newcomers to his science fiction involving alternate histories of World War II will appreciate the exciting study of what happens to a country that surrenders but the soldiers continue to battle on in the Man with the Iron Heart. The analogy to many peace keeping situations in the world is informative while the contest between civil government and guerilla warfare keeps the pages turning.
Sheri Fresonke Harper
Read more >
Jansen Wee
While I enjoy Turtledove's historical fiction books, I find this particular title lacking in originality. If this had been published a decade earlier, it would have been prescient. As it is, the tactics the guerillas used seemed to be anachronistically juxtaposed from the 9/11 through the Iraq occupation by US forces period. Also, the author does not appear to be fully conversant when describing the SS regalia/insignia on Heydrich's uniform. Moderately enjoyable read.
Ray
What if, after the collapse of Germany in World War II, the Nazis had staged an effective guerrilla resistance against the occupying Allied powers? By imagining an alternate universe where Reinhard Heydrich (whom Hitler once called "The Man With The Iron Heart") survives an assassination attempt in 1942, Harry Turtledove creates a believable story based in recent events in the War On Terror. A very entertaining story told from multiple points of view.
Christopher
Turtledove is exhausting in his multiple perspective.
Justin
Not as good as the majority of Turtledove's alternate history books, but thought-provoking nonetheless. Enjoying the storyline involving the Indiana family who loses their son in a guerrilla attack. Overall though, just way too many parallels to the situation in Iraq, could just insert words here and there and it would be the same story basically.
David R.
The Quintessential Turtledove novel. Take one historical episode (in this case, the American struggle over the War in Iraq) and impose it on a different historical instance (in this case, the aftermath of WWII). It's a crisp and well-wrought story, although really and honestly too many liberties are taken with how things might have turned out.
Derek
A rare miss for Mr. Turtledove. Not once did I ever not finish one of Harry's books once I started it. This one came close. This book wasn't his usual engrossing affair - it was tedious and dragged throughout. An interesting idea, in theory, but the novel itself failed to urge me to keep reading. I finished it for the sake of completing the read.
AmblingBooks
This thrilling new stand-alone alternate history from New York Times bestselling author Harry Turtledove is his most controversial epic to date.

Listen to The Man with the Iron Heart on your smartphone, notebook or desktop computer.
Brian Eshleman
The premise is interesting -- what if the Germans engaged in guerrilla warfare rather than surrender? Truman dug-in for the long fight is believable. The degree to which this is a M*A*S*H-style commentary on current events is distracting, as is every character's fixation on booze and sex and use of the same phrases.
Markmanning502
I didn't particularly enjoy this book. I don't think it was one of Turtledove's better attempts. I was glad to read it, but it isn't on my favorite list of books. It raises some interesting "what-ifs" however, and has some relevant points to what is going on in Iraq and Afghanistan today.
Siggy97
I couldn't finish this book. I tried to keep reading hoping it would make more sense or become more interesting...it didn't. This book and it's idea had so much promise. I was really expecting much more but alas it was more of a waste of time than something worth reading.
  • 1942
  • Designated Targets (Axis of Time, #2)
  • Marching Through Georgia (Draka, #1)
  • The Two Georges
  • Stars and Stripes in Peril (Stars & Stripes, #2)
  • 1945
  • 1635: Papal Stakes
  • Alternate Empires (What Might Have Been, #1)
  • The War After Armageddon
  • SS-GB
Dr Harry Norman Turtledove is an American novelist, who has produced a sizeable number of works in several genres including alternate history, historical fiction, fantasy and science fiction.

Harry Turtledove attended UCLA, where he received a Ph.D. in Byzantine history in 1977.

Turtledove has been dubbed "The Master of Alternate History". Within this genre he is known both for creating original sce...more
More about Harry Turtledove...
The Guns of the South In the Balance (Worldwar, #1) How Few Remain (Timeline-191, #1) Tilting the Balance (Worldwar, #2) Striking the Balance (Worldwar, #4)