Sanctuary

Sanctuary (Star Trek: The Original Series #61)

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  268 ratings  ·  20 reviews
The planet Sanctuary is a fabled world in unexplored space thought to be the last refuge of the persecuted, home to both the justly and unjustly accused. Though its name has been translated into every language in the galaxy, Starfleet has never known its exact location. The crew of the "U.S.S. Enterprise" TM is assigned to capture a dangerous criminal named Auk Rex, and th...more
Published September 1st 1992 by Pocket Books (first published 1992)

Branwen *Blaidd Drwg*
Spock: "Doctor, either you are being facetious, or you are not very concerned about my welfare."

The Andorian said, "For the immediate future, the three of you are considered a domestic unit. I hope that is acceptable?"
"Most of the time," Kirk said with a grin.

In this tale Kirk, Bones, and Spock chase a pirate named Auk Rex onto a fabled planet of refuge named Sanctuary. What they do not know is that once you arrive on the planet, you are unable to leave. Ever. The mysterious beings called the Se...more
Wendy
On the second reading, it was just as fun as I remembered. Forgettable, harmless fun. Recommended for ST fans.
Bryn Hammond
Comfort food. The only cringeworthy parts were Kirk + girl, otherwise, worthy without cringe. Not a bad night in.
Dale
You can't go home again

I picked my title for this review for two reasons:

#1 - Sanctuary describes a legendary planet called 'Sanctuary' - a place where any and all fugitives are welcomed and spared from any further persecution. Unfortunately, McCoy, Kirk and Spock discover that once you come to Sanctuary you can never leave again. Thus the main challenge of the book - how do our intrepid three break out and get back to the 'Enterprise'?

#2 - I used to be a gigantic reader of Star Trek books. In...more
Zauberlehrling!
Die Enterprise ist mal wieder auf einem ihrer Routineflüge durch die Galaxis als sie einen Notruf erhalten. Kurz danach sind sie auf einer wilden Verfolgungsjagd. Diese endet im Orbit des legendären Planeten "Zuflucht", den angeblich noch niemand je gesehen hat, von dem aber jeder Verbrecher weiß. Kirk, Spock und McCoy verfolgen einen Verbrecher bis zur Planetenoberfläche, ohne zu ahnen, dass dies ein Ticket ohne Rückkehr ist.

Auf dem neuentdeckten Planeten erleben unsere Helden nun das eine oder...more
Carol
The events of "Sanctuary" occur during the original five-year mission, though we're not told specifically when. It starts on the bridge of the Enterprise, during a chase with the infamous pirate Aux-rex. Aux-rex flees to an unknown, mostly oceanic planet and disappears into the atmosphere, and Kirk, determined not to lose the most wanted thief in the Federation, pursues in a shuttlecraft, accompanied by Spock and Dr. McCoy.
Alas, their plan goes awry upon entry, when their craft and the craft of...more
Surreysmum
[These notes were made in 1992:]. The problem with a sanctuary, be it a church or a whole planet, is that once you're safe within, you're a prisoner. This is the premise of this quite accomplished action-adventure entry, which sees Kirk, Spock & McCoy beaming down to a Sanctuary planet in pursuit of a pirate, only to discover that the place is run by a group of apparently benign but completely implacable androgynous beings called Senites, who will not allow anyone to leave. Not able to repro...more
Jeanne Thornton
At the venerable Book Exchange in Austin, where paperback science fiction, westerns, and ancient Aliester Crowley paperbacks go to live out their comfortable senescence, I found and bought this to replace the copy my dog chewed up years ago. I must have read this book dozens of times, and for sheer velocity of reading you can not beat really imperfectly formed Star Trek fiction. 276 pages go by in the space of ninety minutes and one is not missing any information.

I give this three stars not beca...more
Chelsea
I loved this book. So far, this is my favorite book out of the Star Trek ones I have read. This book mostly takes place on the planet of 'Sanctuary' where Kirk, Spock, and McCoy find themselves trapped after following a 'pirate' into the planet's atmosphere. Although the concept of a place of 'sanctuary' where no one can ever leave did not strike me a very original, I found myself drawn into the book and the characters. The characters in the book, not just Kirk, Spock and McCoy, but also Renna a...more
Stephen Fender
A good Trek novel that was easy to follow. The plot was a little sketchy, but the character developement was very good. Most of the novel centers arround the Kirk-Spock-McCoy trio, and the authro does a very good job of getting each of the respective characters down. The ending leaves a little to be desired becuase, after a harrowing experince by our crew, we never really learn what happens to the other people who've been subjected to live on this aweful planet. The enterprise just kind of sails...more
Daniel Kukwa
Pure "Star Trek" comfort food. The plot is serviceable, and it seems to enjoy endlessly putting Kirk, Spock & McCoy through the "Trek" version of "Survivor-meets-Deliverance"...but the warmth of the characterization makes this a, easy-going, enjoyable read, if not exactly compelling. The best scenes are in the novel are Scotty's numerous attempts to resist the charms of an ex-Orion slave girl.
Lynette
I started watching Star Trek TNG, and though i've watched the original series, i never really felt I got to know the characters like I did with the other series. I like reading the books because they can sometimes offer me that insight. This one is not one of my favourites, but I have read it a few times.
Read1000books
Four and one half stars over all, but in the Star Trek Original Series category it ranks a solid 5 stars. This would have made a terrific t.v. episode. I've read numerous ST novels and don't give out 5 stars on a whim but this one deserves it. Well done, Mr. Vornholt.
Kreg
Spock, McCoy and Kirk get stranded on a planet - again. Their alien captors do provide a somewhat creepy protagonist, and there were several parts of the story which I enjoyed - but overall for me there were more 'nit-picky' elements that detracted from the story.
Deranged Pegasus
This book turns all initial imaginings upon themselves and wrenches your feet out from under you as you read. Nothing is as it seems in the world as the trio fight to return home. The Senites bring terror when the truth is revealed.
Mikael Kuoppala
Once again a Star Trek book that offers us a truly fascinating culture as a driving force. The plot is interesting and the book has a very fresh feeling to it.
Qt
I haven't read this one in years, but I remember it as having an intriguing story line, and also as a surprisingly funny and exciting book.
Caryn
The planet sanctuary sounds like a great place for pirates to hang out without getting caught. Little did they know........
André
Jan 21, 2008 André marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
No idea. Can't remember reading this book. Perhaps I didn't... or it was so bad that I can't remember.
Christine
Really enjoyed it - read just like one of the old TV episodes.
Mike H
Mike H marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
JJ
JJ marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Marika
Marika marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Kate Thompson
Kate Thompson marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
  • The Rift
  • Chain of Attack
  • Legacy
  • Timetrap
  • Battlestations! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #2)
  • From the Depths
  • Memory Prime
  • Twilight's End
  • Deep Domain
  • The Rings of Tautee
  • Killing Time
  • The Starship Trap
John Vornholt also writes as Caroline Goode.
More about John Vornholt...
Coyote Moon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 1, #3) Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7) Seven Crows (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 7-8, #1; Angel: Season 4-5, #1) Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Vol. 1 Contamination (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #16)