Start by marking “Vulcan's Glory” as Want to Read:
Vulcan's Glory

Vulcan's Glory (Star Trek: The Original Series #44)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  700 ratings  ·  29 reviews
A never-before -told story of a very young Mr. Spock, on his first mission aboard the U.S.S. Enterprise.
Published February 1st 1989 by Pocket Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Vulcan's Glory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vulcan's Glory

The Vulcan Academy Murders by Jean LorrahUhura's Song by Janet KaganSpock's World by Diane DuaneYesterday's Son by A.C. CrispinDoctor's Orders by Diane Duane
Best Star Trek The Original Series Books
16th out of 62 books — 43 voters
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. RowlingWinnie-the-Pooh by A.A. MilneCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Initial Success
108th out of 291 books — 29 voters

More lists with this book...

John Kirk
This is one of the "old school" Star Trek novels (published in 1989), i.e. it's independent of all the other Trek novels, but you're expected to be familiar with the TV episodes. This book is about Spock's first mission on the Enterprise (under Captain Pike), and it's a decent enough story. It's been a while since I've seen any of Fontana's episodes, but I remember seeing her name in the credits for some good ones, so I was willing to try out one of her novels, and I think she did a good job wit ...more
Hope
Apr 05, 2008 Hope rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans, zenophiles, SF romance fans
Simon
Hmmm...on the up side I remembered little of the story from my multiple readings while in Vietnam although maybe that it not so much a good thing: possibly I didn't think it was that memorable to start with or this aversion therapy stuff really works.

Apart from the novelty of Spock's first mission on the Enterprise, this story doesn't have too much going for it: it's not bad but it's not that great either. It has two separate plot lines that touch only in the most tenuous manner and neither work
David King
“Vulcan’s Glory” by DC Fontana is the latest novel in my Star Trek Reading Challenge which involves trying to read the novels in chronological order. This story follows both Spock & Scotty’s first ever voyage on the Enterprise which at the time is under the command of Christopher Pike as seen in the original Star Trek pilot episode, “The Cage”.

At its heart the story is a murder mystery surrounding the search for a Vulcan relic known as the Vulcan’s Glory. However, there are other elements t
Terry
At its heart, Vulcan’s Glory is a murder mystery. A good one too, since the likely suspects are highly improbable. And the Glory itself, a relic of Vulcan’s warlike past, works as an intergalactic Maltese Falcon.

Intersecting with the central mystery are recently promoted Lieutenant Spock, whose promotion to the Enterprise causes his father to remind him of his failings as a Vulcan, Captain Pike’s mission to open trade routes on a developing world, and Lieutenant (j.g.) Scott’s amusing attempt to
Robert
I truly want to like this book more than I do, but it's hard to do so.

First there is the immorality of the Spock-T'Pris relationship. Then there is the wink-wink of the "everybody looks the other way and indulges by the way" surrounding the still in engineering. And while the person "who done it" ends up being a total surprise, it is rather painful the way Fontana creates motive for his passion. And last of all, the Vulcan's Glory ends up being rather unimportant to the story as a whole.

On the g
Julie
Lts. Spock and Montgomery Scott's first mission on the Enterprise with Captain Pike and Number One. Spock falls in love amid murder and mayhem. Loved it every step of the way.
Gabe
Came across this book recently and I remember reading at is a teenager. I remember it as being one of the better Trek novels out there. As it's written by DC Fontana, one of the TV series writers, its fairly true to Trek cannon. It's a great back story about the early days of the Enterprise before Kirk when Pike was captain. I think I'm going to give it another read when I get a change.
Dark-Draco
I was fascinated when I first saw the ST pilot and thought it was a shame there were no more adventures under Captain Pike. Now I can read them instead. I really enjoyed reading this early adventure - especially as, very strangely, I had just watched the classic Trek episode ''Amok Time'' featuring Spock's wife - so this gave some interesting background to that. I also think the young Scotty character was brilliant - just who'd you expect to grow up into the Chief Engineer we all know and love!! ...more
Amie R.
Chronicles Spock's very first mission aboard the Enterprise under the command of Christopher Pike. Provides more evidence of T'Pring being a god damn bitch ass cheating whore. Introduces a really awesome, but short-lived love interest for Spock, T'Pris. Was really sad she got the red shirt treatment even though she was a science officer.
Kreg
Murder/mystery involving Spock's first assignment on the Enterprise. A few nice surprises, and sideline with a young (and talented) Lt. Scott getting into trouble.

Decent story. There were a few items that didn't quite fit too well (including the antagonist's history), but overall it held my interest.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
After seeing this at a library booksale, I felt like re-reading it. Though it's a tie-in novel, it's almost strong enough to stand be a standalone work. If you enjoyed the reimagining of Spock in the recent Star Trek movie, you should definitely give this a look.
Emilie
It seems like it's an unpopular opinion, but I actually didn't enjoy this book very much. The plot was sloppy, consisting of a few disconnected storylines that had only a loose thematic relation. Overall, it just wasn't really a well constructed story.
John Parungao
I enjoyed this book because like many of the Star Trek novels it expands on the characters back stories. In this case Mr. Spock and Captain Pike. I always enjoy books which feature expanded stories of my favorite characters.
Daniel Kukwa
An original series grand-master of script writing turns her hand to a Captain Pike-era novel...and produces something surprisingly poignant. Definitely more to this one than the cover implies...
Xi
I felt really bad for Spock and T'Pris, but it gives me a little more insight on how Vulcans - not just Spock - 'operate' on an honor and relationship level. I did like the book overall though. :>
Elizabeth
picked up for 10cents at the local library book sale. DC Fontana wrote excellent episodes, so I figured this book would make a nice low-key read, and it was pretty good.
Bradley
A pretty good read. I found it refreshing to have a solid story to follow. =)
Greg Lindsay
My only complaint was i thought it was a bit short. Wish there was at least another 200 pages with more to the story. Will be adding it to my "keep it" pile.
Sean Whelan
Spock's first assignment aboard the Enterprise. Features Capt. Pike exclusively. Scotty is the only other regular who is included. Very well done.
Travis
KInd of blah story, saved by the novelty of having it set in the early, pre-Kirk years.
Nice to see Pike and company in action.
Eric Evans
I'm not a big Chris Pike fan, but in my endeavour to read all of the original series novels I suffered through it.
Adam
An enjoyable read but not spectacular. Above average for a Star Trek novel.
Nicolas
Great Spock story. This is one of my all-time favorite Trek books.
Darrell
Different. This one takes place BEFORE the Kirk era.
Caryn
It helped me understand Spock better
SixBeforeLunch
A must for any Spock fan.
Sheila
Old-school awesomeness.
  • The Pandora Principle
  • The IDIC Epidemic
  • Faces of Fire
  • Black Fire
  • Battlestations! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #2)
  • Timetrap
  • The Romulan Way (Star Trek: Rihannsu, #2)
  • Rules of Engagement
  • Bloodthirst
  • Enemy Unseen
  • The Kobayashi Maru
  • The Rift
  • The Final Nexus
  • Home Is the Hunter
  • Time for Yesterday (Star Trek: The Yesterday Saga, #2)
  • Sanctuary
  • Corona
  • Crisis on Centaurus
Year Four - The Enterprise Experiment The Questor Tapes Star Trek: The Original Series: Vulcan's Glory Star Trek: The Original Series: Vulcan's Glory (Star Trek (Unnumbered Paperback)) Star Trek: The Original Series: Vulcan's Glory