Start by marking “El Principito” as Want to Read:
El Principito

El Principito

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  485,043 ratings  ·  13,739 reviews
El clasico en la literatura no solo infantil; narra la historia del Principito, el cual a traves de un lenguaje aparentemente sencillo y de vivenicas propias, deja ensenan zas de vida que ayudaran a la comprension y valoracion, tanto de las cosas sencillas como de las complejas. En esta ocasion, el libro cuenta con las ilustraciones del autor.
Published June 2004 by Salamandra (first published 1940)

To ask other readers questions about El Principito, please sign up.

Jorge L. That's a hard question to answer. Technically, this book is suitable for children as young as 6 years old but I doubt that most would completely…moreThat's a hard question to answer. Technically, this book is suitable for children as young as 6 years old but I doubt that most would completely understand it at that age. One of my professors once told me that this book should be read 3 times in one's life: as a child, as a young adult and as an older adult. I think he said so because as we grow older our perspective changes, and thus we become able to appreciate things in different ways.
I'd say that teenagers and adults would enjoy this book the most.(less)
Leiden Sergeyevna That there are no restrictions on how we interpret the metaphors in the book. The reviewers may tell us that this is not simply a book for children,…moreThat there are no restrictions on how we interpret the metaphors in the book. The reviewers may tell us that this is not simply a book for children, because more adults can understand its profundity. But the reviewers will not give their interpretations for those "deep meanings" because they do not want to restrict the readers to have their own ideas.(less)

Manny
The next asteroid the Little Prince came to was inhabited by a Quiz Addict. He sat hunched in front of his laptop, and barely looked up when the Little Prince greeted him. There was nowhere else to sit, since the whole asteroid was covered in books.

"Good morning!" said the Little Prince.

"I'm sorry, I don't have time to talk to you," said the Quiz Addict. "I am very busy. Wait. In Twilight, what color was Edward's car?"

"I don't know," said the Little Prince. "I have never read this book Twilight.
Nataliya

*** For those who somehow have no idea about what happens in The Little Prince or cannot figure it out at a reasonable spot in the book, here is a warning - THERE WILL BE, as much as I hate applying this term to this incredibly famous classic that does not rely on Aha! moments to keep the readers' attention, SPOILERS! ****

-----------

'You do understand that the Little Prince died?' my mother asked as carefully and gently as only adults who know that loss of innocence can be crushing but is brutal
Erin
We are all children in adults bodies. Yes we are, don't think we aren't for one moment. The fact that we WERE, indeed, children, is a huge part of each of us. It is possible to shed a few appreciative tears on every page of this book if you entertain the thought that the pilot IS The Little Prince. Maybe you won't think that--maybe you'll have your own take on the book---that's the magic about it. This book is translated to English from French. If you understand and/or appreciate French, the del ...more
Stephen
A "Daddy/Daughter nighttime reading hour" review

This was a toughy for me to review. I wasn't sure of the best perspective from which to provide comments so as to be of assistance to my fellow readers since this is a children's book (rather than YA which would be reviewed purely on its own merits). After a short session of "what should I do," I bravely decided to punt, figuring that there are already more than enough excellent reviews of this without my clogging up the cyber arteries with another
Anne
May 10, 2007 Anne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who know a sated boa constrictor is *not* a hat
There's a huge place in my heart for this little world-in-a-book; I read it first when I was wee, again many times since. A review won't do it justice, so I'll quote one of my favorite passages and risk sentimentality:
---
"Nothing is perfect," sighed the fox.
But he came back to his idea.
"My life's very monotonous," he said. "I hunt chickens; men hunt me.
All chickens are just alike, and all the men are just alike.
And in consequence, I am a little bored.
But if you tame me, it'll be as if the sun ca
Rajat Ubhaykar
Written as a children's book, I find myself unable to pin down firmly as to what makes The Little Prince such a universally likeable book, be it children or grown-ups. What makes it the Hotel California of literature?

Is it because most grown-ups secretly love being treated like kids? I think as a grown-up you ought to know better than that. Grown-ups like to be petted around now and then in jest, but that's the end of it. Often, when grown-ups are indeed treated like kids and they're not in the
Laurel
It was the first time in quite a while that I'd seen my uncle. He had crossed the country to visit us. When he reached our house, he hugged and kissed us all, then pulled out the English version of this book.
"This is for you," he said, "and on the next starry night, I'm going to read it to you."
I gave him a puzzled look.
He explained, "you have to read this on a night when you can see the stars. Don't worry, you'll understand."

The starry night came, and we settled in for a few hours of reading. A
K.D. Absolutely
Feb 08, 2012 K.D. Absolutely rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jillian
Review After Re-Reading - February 9, 2012

Rating: 3 stars!

Although I still liked it, I have to lower the rating by two stars because:
1. The book is really intended for children as it is very whimsical and illogical. We husbands cannot give an empty wallet to our wives and tell them that there is our salary inside and expect them to be happy. Honey, here is my wallet, what is essential is invisible to your eyes!

2. Saint-Ex contradicted himself so several times via his characters. For example, he
Paul
In a grimy underground locked public toilet The Little Prince wakes slowly, he’s been out cold for hours. He’s bleeding from a gash on his upper arm. He finds he is chained by leg irons to the wall. There is another person sharing his predicament. It’s a bear, also chained to the opposite wall. In the center of the floor is the corpse of what appears to be donkey in a pool of blood. Near the corpse are a gun, a tape recorder and a saw.

“Grownups are very strange,” said the Little Prince to himse
Heba Nouraldeen
من يقرأ "الأمير الصغير" فليدرك انه سيحبه ويصدقه"...تذكر مقولتي تلك حينما تقرأه :))
وكيف لا تحب الامير الصغير وهو يُحدث قلبك...
..وحديث القلب لا تتعثر خطواته ولا يُخطىء مرماه
لن يترك لك فرصة ذلك الفيلسوف الصغير لكى تُعمل عقلك فى محاولة لفهم ما تنطوى عليه قصصه القصيرة من حكمة إنسانية وفلسفة رمزية
لذا سيُصدق قلبك لا مُحال حديثه لأنه وحده من سيفهم لغة الأمير الصغير
....
"النجوم قد تكون مُرشدة لأحدهم فى ظُلمة الليل ..وقد تكون لُغزاً يتوجب معرفته من عالم فلك بارع
وقد ترفع رأسك ذات ليله لترى فى كل نجمة زهرة
بثينة العيسى

كتاب لذيذ، شهي، عذب، لامسني في أعمق شغافي، في طفولتي. فتنني وعشقته، يندرُ أن أقبّل كتبي - إذ يجب التحفظ قليلا مع هذه الكائنات - ولكنني قبلتُ هذا الأمير الصغير، وردته ونجمته وبراكينه الخامدة، قبلته في قلبه.

عودوا أطفالاً هنا :)
Snorkle
I read this book because I believed that it was a classic and that I would be missing out on something special, like The Phantom Tollbooth. This book was very bizarre, I couldn't get past its strangeness. The first couple of pages seemed fairly decent and I thought that I was going to be in for a treat. But then its shine wore off and I was wondering what was going on. The author left a lot of things unsaid and just went on with his random little monologue.

I was annoyed because it had all the e
أحمد
يقولون إنه من كُتب الأطفال! وأظن أن من يعتقد ذلك عَجَز عن فهم الكتاب. فهو ليس كتابا للأطفال، وإنما هو حُلمٌ عجيب لطفل كبير حكيم! حلم يبحث في دهشة عن حقيقة هذا العالم، ويسخر من شوائبه الزائلة، وممن يعتقد أنه "نضج" وفهم "الأمور المهمة" جيدا! هذا الكتاب ميزان للناس، من يقرؤه يعرف مكانه، ومن قرأه ولم يعرف مكانه، فهو في لا مكان!

أحمد الديب
مايو 2010
Rowena
Oh this book! The Little Prince has been my faithful and trusted friend since I was a child. It's amazing how differently I looked at the book as an innocent 9 year old to the adult who I am now. The simple truths in this book are amazing, I could quote them for days and days. They are very philosophical and even though they are often over-quoted, it doesn't make them less true. The illustrations are simple. I re-read this book at least once a year to remind myself to be as inquisitive as a chil ...more
PurplyCookie
The story of "The Little Prince" continues to be a mainstay favorite of people of all ages; indeed, I don't know of anybody who has not heard of this classic story.

The story can basically be split into two parts: The first part is the short introduction dealing with the narrator and his view of the world when he was a child (plus his drawings of the inside and outside of a boa constrictor) and how adults could never understand the real meaning of things or perceive truth in the world--only the
Clau R.
Pero qué cosa tan más hermosa.

Tengo un vago recuerdo de haberlo leído cuando estaba pequeña, pero ni de cerca me impactó como me ha impactado ahora.
Nandakishore Varma
I have read only three books which I felt were magical: One Hundred Years of Solitude, To Kill a Mockingbird and this one. However, what separates this from the other two is that this is a book for all ages.

There was a magazine called "Imprint" (now defunct) during my childhood, in India. It used to publish literary articles and stories. My father got official copies and he brought them home regularly. One issue contained this story, and he gave it to me for reading. I was maybe 10-12 at that ti
Boysie Freeman (not my real name, it's just my Internet name)
Okay so there is this little adorable kid from an asteroid who is seemingly innocent yet amazingly wise.

Some people say this book is for children but NO NO NO! THIS BOOK IS NOT FOR CHILDREN. And the Little Prince, I am sorry, he is not a kid. Children will not understand the metaphors and allegories in this tale. Exupery had warned. The Little Prince, let's call him François (typical French name for your convenience) is not a kid, he IS AN ADULT who cannot make any senses of the adult world. (Wh
Rinda Elwakil
"إن هؤلاء الكبار لا يدركون شيئاً من تلقاء نفوسهم، فلا بد للصغار أن يشرحوا لهم و يطيلوا الشرح و يكرروا، و لا يخفي ما في هذا من التعب و العناء"..

كانت هذه معاناة طفل صغير ملّ أن الكبار لا يروا ما يراه، أقول لك أن هذا الرسم ثعبان بوا يهضم فيلاً، فلِم تصر علي أنه قُبعة؟!

"الكبار جادون، جادون للغاية"
رحل الصغير مُغضباً بطائرته الخاصة إلي صحراء أفريقية، في مكان يبعد ألف ميل عن كل أرض مسكونة..فلك أن تتخيل ذعره و هو يري طفلاً آخر أشقر الشعر يطلب منه أن يرسم له خروفاً..طفلاً يُدعي الأمير الصغير..

صحبه الطفل
Lynda
"A narrow mind begets obstinacy; we do not easily believe what we cannot see."
-- John Dryden

hat/

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry’s 1943 mega-seller classic, The Little Prince, has inspired cultic devotion. It's been translated from the original French into some 250 languages and dialects and has been selling over 1.8 million copies a year. It has inspired films, sequels, a Japanese museum, and works of opera and ballet.

The narrator begins the tale with an explanation of his disappointment with and dislik
Rachel
This was a lovely book. I especially like the biography of the author, which isn't technically part of the book. He sounds like one of those fabulously daring, hot guys that I would fall in love with, only to find out later that he's gay. As for the book itself, I enjoyed the illustrations, and it was a cute story. I liked the drawing of the boa who had swallowed an elephant. I didn't think it was a hat when I first saw it, I had no idea WHAT it was. My problem is, I think I am way too far gone ...more
Saman
روباه گفت: برو یک‌بار دیگر گل‌ها را ببین تا بفهمی که گل تو، تو عالم تک است. برگشتنا با هم وداع می‌کنیم و من به عنوان هدیه رازی را به‌ات می‌گویم.

شهریار کوچولو بار دیگر به تماشای گل‌ها رفت و به آن‌ها گفت: شما سر سوزنی به گل من نمی‌مانید و هنوز هیچی نیستید. نه کسی شما را اهلی کرده نه شما کسی را... خوشگلید اما خالی هستید. نمی‌شود برایتان مُرد. گفت و گو ندارد که گل مرا هم فلان رهگذر گلی می‌بیند مثل شما. اما او به تنهایی از همه‌ی شما سر است چون فقط اوست که زیر حبابش گذاشته‌ام... چون که او گل من است

...
Manny
Jan 22, 2014 Manny rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who want to improve their German
Recommended to Manny by: C.
I'm trying to improve my minimal German, and my current goal is to get to the point where I can at least read children's books comfortably. I'm still not there, but my strategy is to start with foreign books I already know well. I've read Le Petit Prince many times; we were visiting a Zürich bookshop with a friend a few months ago, and when she noticed the German translation lying on the shelf I immediately bought it. Thank you, C! I've just finished, and it was indeed very helpful. I'm sure I'v ...more
Nishanth "Art is... an Explosion!"
If you, like I did, think that this book was about some goofy kid who goes on adventures, You are WRONG!!!

Get it? Wrong!!

This is a book of just approximately 80 pages, but the message in it is far, far greater.

(I just copied it onto my mobile, so I can reread it again and again)

The Little Prince character is just great, The words he spoke seem unlikely to come out of a little guy. But as you read on... you realize that you are wrong.

There is humour in the mix, which fits in perfectly with the me
Faranak Bakhshipour
مدت درازی مسافر کوچولو را نگاه کرد. آن وقت گفت: -اگر دلت می‌خواهد منو اهلی کن!
مسافرکوچولو جواب داد: -دلم که خيلی می‌خواهد، اما وقتِ چندانی ندارم. بايد بروم دوستانی پيدا کنم و از کلی چيزها سر در آرم.
روباه گفت: -آدم فقط از چيزهايی که اهلی کند می‌تواند سر در آرد. انسان‌ها ديگر برای سر در آوردن از چيزها وقت ندارند. همه چيز را همين جور حاضر آماده از دکان‌ها می‌خرند. اما چون دکانی نيست که دوست معامله کند آدم‌ها مانده‌اند بی‌دوست... تو اگر دوست می‌خواهی خب منو اهلی کن!
مسافر کوچولو پرسيد: -راهش چيست؟
رو
Kelly
Jul 22, 2007 Kelly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dreamy eyed romantics, idealists, beginning french students
I'm going to need to explain the roll of my eyes, sigh, and groan of frustration I felt just seeing the name of this book. I have read this for so many french classes, I cannot tell you. It's all about life and the right reasons for living it. It was great when I was starting to learn french in about seventh grade. By senior year of high school? It had become.. tired to say the least.

However. It's lovely, there are some great quotable quotes that come out of it, pretty language, and a lots of sw
Afshar
دوروز پیش یعنی 25 دی ماه 93 بالاخره برای بار سوم شازده کوچولو رو تموم کردم
با خودم قرار گذاشتم هر سال یه بار بخونمش تا شازده کوچولو رو فراموش نکنم و دنیا برام رنگ عادت نگیره و هر چیزی که میبینم مثه شازده کوچولو و زوربا شگفت زده ام کنه و این قسمت وجودم همیشه بیدار بمونه

اولین بار ترجمه شاملو رو خوندم و زیاد تحت تاثیرش قرار نگرفتم و بخودم میگفتم این همه تعریف از کتاب برای چی بوده؟؟
بار دوم که کتاب رو خوندم برای همیشه عاشقش شدم
نمیدانم تاثیر دقت کردن در بار دوم بود یا ترجمه زیبای محمد قاضی!!؟؟

شازده ك
Keely
Much more heartfelt than your usual constructed new age mysticism, but still falls to false separations and idealism. This is achieved by the inclusion of representational figures which do not stand in allegorically, but rather conceptually, and hence become not pure symbols but a set of tools for the construction of different philosophical scenarios.

The book also presents the requisite complexity needed for a holistic view of emotions and interaction, but falls to the very French fault of the
Lotz
Next, the Little Prince came across another planet, this one inhabited by a Reader. The man was sitting on a chair, reading a book. He was so hunched over he looked like a gorilla. He didn’t move when the Little Prince approached him, apparently too absorbed to notice.

“Hello,” said the Little Prince. No response.

“What are you reading?” Again, nothing. But the Little Prince let no questions go unanswered.

“What’s that book you’re reading?”

“What? what?” said the man.

“Hello,” said the Little Prince.
Miguel
Começo por admirar o exemplar que tenho em mãos: esteticamente belo, deleitável, fino, quase sedoso...

Prefaciada por Valter Hugo Mãe, que nos regala com um texto maravilhoso, a nova edição de O Principezinho , cumprida pela Porto Editora, repõe a edição original de 1943. Pequenas minudências são reparadas.

É impossível escrever acerca desta obra. Nenhuma palavra consegue substanciar o que ela comporta, de modo a não resvalar em pretensiosismos e afetações ridículas.
O meu encantamento incide t
Only for Children? 32 325 Feb 28, 2015 02:14PM
  • Nobody's Boy
  • The Story of a Seagull and the Cat Who Taught Her to Fly
  • The Happy Prince and Other Tales
  • The Children of Noisy Village
  • Moominpappa's Memoirs (The Moomins, #4)
  • تيستو سبزانگشتی
  • قصه‌های من و بابام / شوخی‌ها و مهربانی‌ها
  • Le petit Nicolas (Le petit Nicolas, #1)
  • A Fada Oriana
  • حسنی نگو یه دسته گل
  • سووشون Suvashun
  • Death with Interruptions
  • L'amico ritrovato
  • Das doppelte Lottchen
1020792
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry was born in Lyons on June 29, 1900. He flew for the first time at the age of twelve, at the Ambérieu airfield, and it was then that he became determined to be a pilot. He kept that ambition even after moving to a school in Switzerland and while spending summer vacations at the family's château at Saint-Maurice-de-Rémens, in eastern France. (The house at Saint-Maurice appea ...more
More about Antoine de Saint-Exupéry...
The Little Prince & Letter to a Hostage Wind, Sand and Stars Night Flight Citadelle Flight to Arras

“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.” 3314 likes
“All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.” 2737 likes