Start by marking “The Cop And The Anthem” as Want to Read:
The Cop And The Anthem

The Cop And The Anthem

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  8 reviews
When all of Soapy's efforts to get himself arrested fail, overhearing a hymn at a nearby church causes him to repent and start seeking a "real" job. An O Henry twist at the end of the story, foils Soapy's new plans.
Hardcover
Published by Dramatic Pub. (first published March 27th 1904)

To ask other readers questions about The Cop And The Anthem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cop And The Anthem

Rachel
I'd been looking for O. Henry for a long time, and I'd been looking for The Cop and the Anthem for an equally long time, only, I didn't know who I was looking for and I didn't know what the title of the story was, only the story. The reason for this strange situation was the fact that I'd heard The Cop and the Anthem told very briefly in Chinese during a special seminar I once was unwittingly forced to attend ...and long story short, the twist and the delicious irony of it all interested me enou ...more
Naveed Nawaz
Ghulam Abbas-esque. Beautiful.
Michelle
The funniest of the three O. Henry stories I read this Christmas. Soapy the hobo is a riot, especially as he's picking up on a girl to try to get arrested, and trying to order a fancy roasted duck without means to pay, again, to get arrested.
David
I'm a really big fan of O. Henry and the ironic twist that accompanies his stories. I think there's a lot of value in exploring the setting with this story, and overall students enjoyed reading it.
Zach Vowles
A short, gently humourous tale with a predictable ending. Liked the interesting choice of main character.
Kristen Ruiz
An entertaining little story of irony at its finest.
Ally McKinnis
A great story! Very funny too!

Vinil Apelagunta
Vinil Apelagunta marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Beanfrog
Beanfrog marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Celosia
Celosia marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Sammie
Sammie marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Open Window
  • Berenice
  • Outpost of Progress
  • The Slopes of War
  • Feeding The Mind (Collected Works Of Lewis Carroll)
  • Mary Jones and Her Bible
  • How to Ruin Your Life By 30: Just Follow These 9 Easy Steps!
  • Stink Alley
  • The 100 Most Important Events in Christian History
  • Labor's Untold Story
  • Flowering Wilderness
  • Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Seas
  • The Figure in the Carpet
  • The Broken Blade (Pierre La Page #1)
  • 40 Questions About Interpreting The Bible (40 Questions & Answers Series)
  • Madeleine Takes Command
  • Live Like a Jesus Freak: Spend Today as If It Were Your Last
  • Bound for Oregon
William Sydney Porter lends the pen name "O. Henry" to surprise endings signed officially as Sydney Porter. His biography shows where he found inspiration for his characters. Their voices and his language were products of his era.

He was born 1862 Greensboro, North Carolina. When he was three years old, his mother died from tuberculosis. He left school at fifteen, worked five years in uncle's drugs
More about O. Henry...
The Gift of the Magi Selected Stories The Ransom of Red Chief The Best Short Stories of O. Henry The Gift of the Magi and Other Short Stories