Start by marking “Should I Get Married?: A Guide for Seeking & Giving Direction” as Want to Read:
Should I Get Married?: A Guide for Seeking & Giving Direction

Should I Get Married?: A Guide for Seeking & Giving Direction

A Campus Life 1990 Book of the Year! Here's an indispensable book for any Christian contemplating marriage or seeking guidance in finding a life partner. Drawing from personal experience and his years of counseling singles and couples, Blaine Smith takes a refreshingly candid and openhearted stance as he helps you think through these and other questions:
Are the two of you
Published October 5th 2000 by IVP Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Should I Get Married?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Should I Get Married?

Jolene
Mar 11, 2013 Jolene rated it really liked it
I found this book to be extremely helpful in considering marriage with my current boyfriend! I am more of a logical person than most (especially in the Church) so I found his insight very freeing. There are a lot of ideas out there that deciding on who you will marry is mostly feelings-based, and I think that a lot of people miss out on the logical processing that Smith walks you through in this book. Like I said, this book was very freeing to me, and I recommend it to anyone out there, ...more
Jerad
Sep 09, 2008 Jerad rated it really liked it
A very well written book at the college to graduate level. It helps the person seeking Gods will how to make educated decisions about choosing a spouse. This book helps by freeing the reader to understand that God has given us an intellect to choose our spouses. He does have a will, however, we do have a choice as to whether we wish to be married or single. This book is great for anyone who wants Gods will but fears that they are missing his promptings. It will help give peace knowing that he is ...more
Brad
Nov 26, 2011 Brad rated it really liked it
To my surprise I actually really liked this book. Given to me from my sister, I was reluctant to read it for fear that it would be touchy-feely and scattered with Christian catch phrases. However, the book is very pragmatic and logical, shedding light on the importance of real issues and not just encouraging a "God meant it to be" approach to marriage.
Eric
Apr 11, 2010 Eric rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed the practical aspects of the book. In many ways, it's much more of a practical book than an eye-opening one, per se...but I found that I got a good amount of material for my mind to process over and think about. While Smith states that the book is primarily designed for people who are in serious relationships, I read it while single, and found it still pretty helpful!
Amanda
Mar 13, 2008 Amanda rated it it was amazing
I felt like such a nerd for buying this book, but it was really helpful to me when I was figuring out if I really wanted to get married. I'm so glad I worked through some of the things in the book before making the commitment - it definitely gave me more confidence in my decision!
Zac George
Jan 31, 2011 Zac George rated it really liked it
Really practical. Helped me think through what a good relationship should look like. More conservative on some points than I would have been though.
Eric Brown
Apr 30, 2015 Eric Brown rated it really liked it
An excellent book for those interested in marriage. Good chapters full of questions and opportunities for self reflection.
Sophy
Sophy rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2014
George
George rated it it was ok
Aug 19, 2010
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2008
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2012
Barbjean211
Barbjean211 rated it really liked it
May 23, 2016
Bridgetbearboo
Bridgetbearboo rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2014
Jenn
Jenn rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2008
Annie
Annie rated it liked it
May 12, 2014
Ashley Evans
Ashley Evans rated it it was ok
Mar 19, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
May 01, 2010
Brian Petersen
Brian Petersen rated it it was ok
Sep 30, 2016
Nicole
Apr 29, 2008 Nicole rated it liked it
A very practical yet spiritual look at the issues of when and whom to marry.
Scdanaher
Scdanaher rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2013
Janet
Jan 23, 2015 Janet rated it liked it
Read this before I got engaged.
Ally Camble
Ally Camble rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2015
Angel
Angel rated it it was ok
Jul 20, 2012
Mike Vince
Mike Vince rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2016
Rany
Rany rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2012
Victoria
Victoria rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2008
Dan Ports
Dan Ports rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2008
Nicole Pramik
Nicole Pramik rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2015
Jacob Vigil
Jacob Vigil rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Jamie
Jamie rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2013