Start by marking “El Dios Electrico” as Want to Read:
El Dios Electrico

El Dios Electrico

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  364 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Hayden Reese lleva una vida solitaria en un remoto pueblo californiano. Sus dias transcurren entre la marginalidad, la carcel y las rinas. Solo le importa su perra Jenny, lo mas similar a un amigo que ha tenido en anos. Sin embargo, el destino parece querer ponerle a prueba y Jenny muere. Esta perdida le conduce al limite del abismo en el que se encuentra. Porque Hayden no ...more
Published July 1st 2002 by Ediciones Urano (first published November 30th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about El Dios Electrico, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El Dios Electrico

Ron Charles
Advance publicity for Catherine Ryan Hyde's "Electric God" claims that it's a modern retelling of Job.

I should think that's hardly a selling point. After all, most country-western music is a modern retelling of Job, but that allusion doesn't sell records. (e.g. "My dog dieth, my truck breaketh, and my honey she leaveth me.")

Yes, Hyde has constructed her novel around biblical themes of tragedy and forgiveness, but "Electric God" is also one of the most entertaining novels I've read this year. Ima
Merla
In true Hyde writing, the characters come to life in this book. Unfortunately, I developed a dislike for the main character early in the story and simply couldn't shake it. Hayden is stubborn, meaner than a junkyard dog, and can only see the world with visors on. He is a good man, but self destructive at best. Needless to say, this made this particular book by Ms. Hyde not one of my favorites. Bouncing between decades has never been one of my favorite writing techniques, but Ms. Hyde did make th ...more
Marleen
I have yet to come across a book by Catherine Ryan Hyde that I didn’t like. She has an incomparable talent writing about the misfits, the oddballs, the downtrodden, the immensely flawed, all the while keeping them exciting and interesting, and most of all, giving them that spark of hope for redemption. C. Ryan Hyde is slowly becoming one of my favorite writers. Her characters are never boring. Here in Electric God, we meet Hayden Reese, a man who has lost everything. He is a good and decent man. ...more
Clara
ANOTHER of c.r. Hyde's books that captivates and you cannot put the book down.

ANOTHER of c.r. Hyde's books that captivates and you cannot put the book down.

Hayden has problems that demands a personal understanding and eventually finding forgiveness for his little boy mistaken feeling of responsibility. a very good analytical exploration of a troubled man .
Elle
This novel is funny, wry, moving and has such believable characters. I love how Hyde has a penchant for writing about flawed characters that have so many redeemable qualities you just can’t help but cheer for them. I found this book thoroughly enjoyable and will definitely be reading more by Hyde.
Millie Russom
Loved this book.

Catherine Ryan Hyde did it again. I loved this story from beginning to end. It started out good and was good all the way thru. There was not a boring page. I wanted to read every word of this book.
D.j. Lang
I'm rather embarrassed to admit that I thought this local writer wouldn't be that good. I know she wrote Pay It Forward, but I only watched the movie; I didn't read the book. Catherine Ryan Hyde is much better than some of the writers we've indulged in our book group. Her story kept me interested. I have friends to whom I will recommend this book, and I will take a chance on reading more of her works. Electric God does discuss God -- if the reader has read any Russian lit, this won't seem strang ...more
Karyn
A little slower start than her other books, but once I got into some of the flashbacks, it got more interesting....
Carrie
Best book club discussion to date
Amy
I was a bit confused to start with about what was going on and who it was speaking and then with the jump to his past in part 2 of the book, but I think overall once you stat reading it and get your head around what is happening and how it is being narrated, it is a good book, and one which wraps itself up nicely I think, unlike so many which leave you with loads of questions about what happens next, what do the characters do after the story has finished etc etc.
Hazel McHaffie
I liked the sound of this one - the effect on a young father, Hayden, of his son's death during the birth process. My area of expertise! But the book didn't live up to my expectations, I'm afraid. Too much senseless violence and suspect psychology. And the writing style didn't appeal either. Sorry to be so negative. The author's been a Richard and Judy choice so hopefully she won't be demoralised by the criticism of an unknown novelist in Scotland.
Liz Conklin
This was not exactly a cheerful read, but I had the feeling it was what I needed. I really felt for Hayden and his tendency to blame himself for his family's troubles, even after it became clear that as a child himself, he couldn't bear all that responsibility. He went through a lifetime keeping his fears to himself, only to find that moving on was not only possible, but a relief. I'm looking forward to reading more by this author.
Shannon
Jul 07, 2008 Shannon rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shannon by: Library
Another book I read camping over the weekend and then passed on to my husband. We both enjoyed reading it. It's the type of book I like reading while camping...nothing heavy, just a story.
There were some definite over-the-top moments and some of the dialogue felt too forced, but I still enjoyed the story overall.
Jacob
Still love mye some Catherine Ryan Hyde. I really like how the story lines do not feel cheesy and how it's obvious she puts in the time, to really get to know professions of people she writes about. Thanks again Catherine!
Michelle
intriguing spiritual themes, interesting story of one man's struggle with forgiveness and love in the face of life's tragedies--possible book club choice
Malissa
I love this author... She also wrote Pay It Forward. I have the movie, but never read the book... She is a great author.. I highly recommend this author.
Kathy Scott Beezley
This book was very amateurish. It was one of the author's earliest works, so I'll allow for that. The characters were very difficult to empathize with.
Donna Hill
I started crying about a third of the way through and never stopped. I ached for the man Hayden could have been but never allowed himself to become.
Pam

I really enjoyed this book and got immersed in the characters and the plot(s).
Amy
Great book. Loved the main character and his love for his wife and daughter. Great read.
Laurie Stoll
A thoughtful book. Worth every penny of the .49 I paid for it.
Laurie
Pretty good book.....enjoyed the storyline and the characters.
Maria
Loved it. She also wrote Pay It Forward...One of other favorites
Alyssa
Interesting, but I enjoyed pay it forward a bit better.
Judith
A really enjoyable read - very well written.
  • Little Chicago
  • Simon's Choice
  • Forever Blessed
  • The Great Betrayal
  • Rat Run
  • Son of a Grifter: The Twisted Tale of Sante and Kenny Kimes, the Most Notorious Con Artists in America: A Memoir By The Other Son
  • Sliding on the Snow Stone
  • Saving Bobby
  • Meets Girl
  • Little Sacrifices
  • Four Weird Tales
I'm the the author of 28 published and forthcoming books.

My newest releases are The Language of Hoofbeats, Take Me With You , Where We Belong, Walk Me Home, Subway Dancer and Other Stories, When You Were Older, Don’t Let Me Go, When I Found You, Second Hand Heart, The Long, Steep Path: Everyday Inspiration From the Author of Pay It Forward, Always Chloe and Other Stories, and 365 Days of Gratitude
More about Catherine Ryan Hyde...
Pay It Forward When I Found You Don't Let Me Go Take Me with You Walk Me Home

“A kiss, she thinks, has to be entirely balanced -- it has to have a little conflict, a little dialectic, a little revolution.” 8 likes