Start by marking “Electric God” as Want to Read:
Electric God

Electric God

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  305 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Hayden Reese once believed he could have it all -- and once, he almost did: a wife and a daughter he adored, and a child on the way. But little by little, a chain of heartaches stripped him of all he loved -- and a flash of violence changed his destiny. Now at middle age, newly spring from jail in a remote California town, Hayden is utterly alone -- his girlfriend has left...more
Published April 2nd 2002 by Pocket Books (first published November 30th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Electric God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Electric God

Ron Charles
Advance publicity for Catherine Ryan Hyde's "Electric God" claims that it's a modern retelling of Job.

I should think that's hardly a selling point. After all, most country-western music is a modern retelling of Job, but that allusion doesn't sell records. (e.g. "My dog dieth, my truck breaketh, and my honey she leaveth me.")

Yes, Hyde has constructed her novel around biblical themes of tragedy and forgiveness, but "Electric God" is also one of the most entertaining novels I've read this year. Ima...more
Marleen
I have yet to come across a book by Catherine Ryan Hyde that I didn’t like. She has an incomparable talent writing about the misfits, the oddballs, the downtrodden, the immensely flawed, all the while keeping them exciting and interesting, and most of all, giving them that spark of hope for redemption. C. Ryan Hyde is slowly becoming one of my favorite writers. Her characters are never boring. Here in Electric God, we meet Hayden Reese, a man who has lost everything. He is a good and decent man....more
Clara
ANOTHER of c.r. Hyde's books that captivates and you cannot put the book down.

ANOTHER of c.r. Hyde's books that captivates and you cannot put the book down.

Hayden has problems that demands a personal understanding and eventually finding forgiveness for his little boy mistaken feeling of responsibility. a very good analytical exploration of a troubled man .
Elle
This novel is funny, wry, moving and has such believable characters. I love how Hyde has a penchant for writing about flawed characters that have so many redeemable qualities you just can’t help but cheer for them. I found this book thoroughly enjoyable and will definitely be reading more by Hyde.
Millie Russom
Loved this book.

Catherine Ryan Hyde did it again. I loved this story from beginning to end. It started out good and was good all the way thru. There was not a boring page. I wanted to read every word of this book.
D.j. Lang
I'm rather embarrassed to admit that I thought this local writer wouldn't be that good. I know she wrote Pay It Forward, but I only watched the movie; I didn't read the book. Catherine Ryan Hyde is much better than some of the writers we've indulged in our book group. Her story kept me interested. I have friends to whom I will recommend this book, and I will take a chance on reading more of her works. Electric God does discuss God -- if the reader has read any Russian lit, this won't seem strang...more
Carrie
Best book club discussion to date
Amy
I was a bit confused to start with about what was going on and who it was speaking and then with the jump to his past in part 2 of the book, but I think overall once you stat reading it and get your head around what is happening and how it is being narrated, it is a good book, and one which wraps itself up nicely I think, unlike so many which leave you with loads of questions about what happens next, what do the characters do after the story has finished etc etc.
Hazel McHaffie
I liked the sound of this one - the effect on a young father, Hayden, of his son's death during the birth process. My area of expertise! But the book didn't live up to my expectations, I'm afraid. Too much senseless violence and suspect psychology. And the writing style didn't appeal either. Sorry to be so negative. The author's been a Richard and Judy choice so hopefully she won't be demoralised by the criticism of an unknown novelist in Scotland.
Liz Conklin
This was not exactly a cheerful read, but I had the feeling it was what I needed. I really felt for Hayden and his tendency to blame himself for his family's troubles, even after it became clear that as a child himself, he couldn't bear all that responsibility. He went through a lifetime keeping his fears to himself, only to find that moving on was not only possible, but a relief. I'm looking forward to reading more by this author.
Shannon
Jul 07, 2008 Shannon rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Shannon by: Library
Another book I read camping over the weekend and then passed on to my husband. We both enjoyed reading it. It's the type of book I like reading while camping...nothing heavy, just a story.
There were some definite over-the-top moments and some of the dialogue felt too forced, but I still enjoyed the story overall.
Jacob
Still love mye some Catherine Ryan Hyde. I really like how the story lines do not feel cheesy and how it's obvious she puts in the time, to really get to know professions of people she writes about. Thanks again Catherine!
Michelle
intriguing spiritual themes, interesting story of one man's struggle with forgiveness and love in the face of life's tragedies--possible book club choice
Malissa
I love this author... She also wrote Pay It Forward. I have the movie, but never read the book... She is a great author.. I highly recommend this author.
Kathy Scott Beezley
This book was very amateurish. It was one of the author's earliest works, so I'll allow for that. The characters were very difficult to empathize with.
Donna Hill
I started crying about a third of the way through and never stopped. I ached for the man Hayden could have been but never allowed himself to become.
Pam

I really enjoyed this book and got immersed in the characters and the plot(s).
Amy
Great book. Loved the main character and his love for his wife and daughter. Great read.
Laurie Stoll
A thoughtful book. Worth every penny of the .49 I paid for it.
Laurie
Pretty good book.....enjoyed the storyline and the characters.
Maria
Loved it. She also wrote Pay It Forward...One of other favorites
Alyssa
Interesting, but I enjoyed pay it forward a bit better.
Judith
A really enjoyable read - very well written.
Miroslava Varáčková
moja obľúbená! :)
Merla
Merla is currently reading it
Oct 24, 2014
Theresa Corral
Theresa Corral is currently reading it
Oct 23, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Anthea Rotter
Anthea Rotter marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
  • Simon's Choice
  • Under the Wolf, Under the Dog
  • Sliding on the Snow Stone
  • Small Kindnesses
  • Broken Things: Two Women. Two Pasts. One Future (Faded Photograph #1)
  • Four Weird Tales
  • Everyman's Rules for Scientific Living
  • Me Again
  • Sikander
  • The View from Here
  • Spare Change (Wyattsville #1)
  • I Heart Ed Small
I'm the author of 24 published and forthcoming books.

My newest releases are Where We Belong, Don’t Let Me Go, Walk Me Home, When I Found You, When You Were Older and Second Hand Heart. Forthcoming is Take Me With You (June '14) and a young readers' edition of Pay It Forward (8-12).

Newer novels are Becoming Chloe, Jumpstart the World, Love in the Present Tense, The Year of My Miraculous Reappearan...more
More about Catherine Ryan Hyde...
Pay It Forward When I Found You Don't Let Me Go Take Me with You When You Were Older

“A kiss, she thinks, has to be entirely balanced -- it has to have a little conflict, a little dialectic, a little revolution.” 7 likes