Start by marking “Electric God” as Want to Read:
Electric God

Electric God

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  621 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Hayden Reese once believed he could have it all -- and once, he almost did: a wife and a daughter he adored, and a child on the way. But little by little, a chain of heartaches stripped him of all he loved -- and a flash of violence changed his destiny. Now at middle age, newly spring from jail in a remote California town, Hayden is utterly alone -- his girlfriend has left ...more
Published April 2nd 2002 by Pocket Books (first published November 30th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Electric God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Electric God

Marleen
I have yet to come across a book by Catherine Ryan Hyde that I didn’t like. She has an incomparable talent writing about the misfits, the oddballs, the downtrodden, the immensely flawed, all the while keeping them exciting and interesting, and most of all, giving them that spark of hope for redemption. C. Ryan Hyde is slowly becoming one of my favorite writers. Her characters are never boring. Here in Electric God, we meet Hayden Reese, a man who has lost everything. He is a good and decent man. ...more
Ron Charles
Advance publicity for Catherine Ryan Hyde's "Electric God" claims that it's a modern retelling of Job.

I should think that's hardly a selling point. After all, most country-western music is a modern retelling of Job, but that allusion doesn't sell records. (e.g. "My dog dieth, my truck breaketh, and my honey she leaveth me.")

Yes, Hyde has constructed her novel around biblical themes of tragedy and forgiveness, but "Electric God" is also one of the most entertaining novels I've read this year. Ima
Elle
This novel is funny, wry, moving and has such believable characters. I love how Hyde has a penchant for writing about flawed characters that have so many redeemable qualities you just can’t help but cheer for them. I found this book thoroughly enjoyable and will definitely be reading more by Hyde.
Merla Miller
In true Hyde writing, the characters come to life in this book. Unfortunately, I developed a dislike for the main character early in the story and simply couldn't shake it. Hayden is stubborn, meaner than a junkyard dog, and can only see the world with visors on. He is a good man, but self destructive at best. Needless to say, this made this particular book by Ms. Hyde not one of my favorites. Bouncing between decades has never been one of my favorite writing techniques, but Ms. Hyde did make th ...more
Kat
Debra Darschewski
I liked this book better than I thought I would. I couldn't totally relate to the main character as his levels of violence were so over the top. I think I could appreciate his anger, but most people control themselves. It was sad that it took him so long to break through. It is a telling story in that we can all learn to let go and not let our past define us and not hold on to anger so much that it derails your whole life and lets you hurt and push away those who love you most and mean the most ...more
David Russell
I am now a confirmed fan of Catherine Ryan Hyde. This is the second book of hers that I have read. They were both well written, unique and had well developed characters.
Hayden Reese is the most unlikeable protagonist that I have ever encountered in a novel. Reading about him is like watching a house burn: it is a tragedy but you can't stop watching. Hayden does and says the wrong thing at every turn. I never grew to like him, but learned to understand him.
The book is a powerful statement about
Clara
ANOTHER of c.r. Hyde's books that captivates and you cannot put the book down.

ANOTHER of c.r. Hyde's books that captivates and you cannot put the book down.

Hayden has problems that demands a personal understanding and eventually finding forgiveness for his little boy mistaken feeling of responsibility. a very good analytical exploration of a troubled man .
Pwlib
Rough start, but great read

I was unsure when I started this if I could get into it. I couldn't figure out who Hayden was exactly. But, I kept reading, and I am very glad I did. The character developed into a complex and heartbreaking man.
Shana
Slow and steady story

This heartbreaking story starts off slowly but steadily increases in intensity. I liked the growth and independence of both Hayden and Judith. Nice, if a little sudden, ending relationship between all characters.
Millie Russom
Loved this book.

Catherine Ryan Hyde did it again. I loved this story from beginning to end. It started out good and was good all the way thru. There was not a boring page. I wanted to read every word of this book.
Elice Mcneely
Feel Good Book

This is a heartwarming book that makes you feel good.

Characters that you care about and a good story line that comes full circle at the end and doesn't leave you wondering "and then what"
Ruth
I really liked this book. I've always believed that who we become is shaped by how we are brought up. This book verified my belief and goes on to show how we can also overcome the bad things that happened to us and start new, no matter our age.
Mary E. McKinney
Depressing

Sorry to say I did not like this book the main character was a train wreck to much religion made me uncomfortable.This book was not believable.
Julie LaScala
Couldn't put it down

Another great read with complex characters. I always enjoy Catherine Ryan Hyde's way of telling a story about flawed characters.
Romi
Such a talented writer..I've enjoyed everything I've read from her. This one was really depressing - really - but beautifully done...and redemptive at the end. A lovely read.
Susan Moore
Could not finish.

I didn't like the main character. This didn't even seem a bit like any of C. R. Hyde's other books. Disappointed.
Pam
Loved this book of redemption

What a hard difficult life, lived, survived and forgiven and redeemed. A story of love, growth, forgiveness and release. Loved the character of Hayden Reese and his transformation even though it took a lifetime. Enjoyed every moment spent with this book.
Tom Langer
A well told story about how decisions, sometimes very simple choices ultimately shape a persons life and character.
Patricia Dunn
A story of a life that comes full circle.

Worth every minute! Very moving and deep. I always get something important from Catherine Ryan Hyde books. Great read! Bravo!
D.j. Lang
I'm rather embarrassed to admit that I thought this local writer wouldn't be that good. I know she wrote Pay It Forward, but I only watched the movie; I didn't read the book. Catherine Ryan Hyde is much better than some of the writers we've indulged in our book group. Her story kept me interested. I have friends to whom I will recommend this book, and I will take a chance on reading more of her works. Electric God does discuss God -- if the reader has read any Russian lit, this won't seem strang ...more
Karyn
A little slower start than her other books, but once I got into some of the flashbacks, it got more interesting....
Carrie
Best book club discussion to date
Amy
I was a bit confused to start with about what was going on and who it was speaking and then with the jump to his past in part 2 of the book, but I think overall once you stat reading it and get your head around what is happening and how it is being narrated, it is a good book, and one which wraps itself up nicely I think, unlike so many which leave you with loads of questions about what happens next, what do the characters do after the story has finished etc etc.
Hazel McHaffie
I liked the sound of this one - the effect on a young father, Hayden, of his son's death during the birth process. My area of expertise! But the book didn't live up to my expectations, I'm afraid. Too much senseless violence and suspect psychology. And the writing style didn't appeal either. Sorry to be so negative. The author's been a Richard and Judy choice so hopefully she won't be demoralised by the criticism of an unknown novelist in Scotland.
Liz Conklin
This was not exactly a cheerful read, but I had the feeling it was what I needed. I really felt for Hayden and his tendency to blame himself for his family's troubles, even after it became clear that as a child himself, he couldn't bear all that responsibility. He went through a lifetime keeping his fears to himself, only to find that moving on was not only possible, but a relief. I'm looking forward to reading more by this author.
Shannon
Jul 07, 2008 Shannon rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Shannon by: Library
Another book I read camping over the weekend and then passed on to my husband. We both enjoyed reading it. It's the type of book I like reading while camping...nothing heavy, just a story.
There were some definite over-the-top moments and some of the dialogue felt too forced, but I still enjoyed the story overall.
Jacob
Still love mye some Catherine Ryan Hyde. I really like how the story lines do not feel cheesy and how it's obvious she puts in the time, to really get to know professions of people she writes about. Thanks again Catherine!
Michelle
intriguing spiritual themes, interesting story of one man's struggle with forgiveness and love in the face of life's tragedies--possible book club choice
  • Little Chicago
  • Turn Back Time
  • Taking Flight
  • Sliding on the Snow Stone
  • Son of a Grifter: The Twisted Tale of Sante and Kenny Kimes, the Most Notorious Con Artists in America: A Memoir By The Other Son
  • The Messiah of Morris Avenue: A Novel
  • Four Weird Tales
  • Too Young to Kill
  • Sikander
  • A Requiem For Dead Flies
I'm the the author of 28 published and forthcoming books.

My newest releases are The Language of Hoofbeats, Take Me With You , Where We Belong, Walk Me Home, Subway Dancer and Other Stories, When You Were Older, Don’t Let Me Go, When I Found You, Second Hand Heart, The Long, Steep Path: Everyday Inspiration From the Author of Pay It Forward, Always Chloe and Other Stories, and 365 Days of Gratitude
More about Catherine Ryan Hyde...
Pay It Forward When I Found You Take Me with You Don't Let Me Go Walk Me Home

“A kiss, she thinks, has to be entirely balanced -- it has to have a little conflict, a little dialectic, a little revolution.” 8 likes