Start by marking “The Shaming of the Strong: The Challenge of an Unborn Life” as Want to Read:
The Shaming of the Strong: The Challenge of an Unborn Life

The Shaming of the Strong: The Challenge of an Unborn Life

This extraordinary story begins with the happy news of a new member of the Williams family. Sarah's two young daughters are excited, as is her own mother, Jennifer Rees Larcombe. But the happiness is shortlived, as the scan at the hospital reveals that the baby has a condition which will mean severe skeletal deformity. Birth will be fatal. Sarah and husband Paul decide to ...more
Published August 4th 2007 by Regent College Publishing (first published August 30th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Shaming of the Strong, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shaming of the Strong

Christianne
May 12, 2014 Christianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is one of those books that makes you rethink the value of life and the meaning others give to it.
never an easy read, this made me realize that the moments we are closest to God are those in which we give up all and love. Just like Jesus did for us. Thank you Sarah for sharing the beautiful and heartbreaking story that touched me to the core.
Sandi Smoker
Dec 06, 2014 Sandi Smoker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Personal, theological, heart-breaking and restorative; this book is a must read for anyone who suffers through complex ethical issues of life and death with a heart for intelligent love.
Sylvester
What makes a life valuable? Speaking of the baby she has been told will not live outside her womb, Sarah says, "Cerian is not a strong religious principle or a rule that compels me to make hard and fast ethical decisions. She is a beautiful person who is teaching me to love the vulnerable, treasure the unlovely and face fear with dignity and hope." (pg.100)

The deeply moving story of a baby girl who never took a breath, and of her family, who loved her. I appreciated the father's side of the stor
Maysze
Dec 01, 2011 Maysze rated it really liked it
Very good book. As a newly graduated midwife, this book has truly brought me to another side to see how this experience (unspeakable loss) can change one so badly. And yet the author was so determined to do what she believed to do. It's amazing and inspiring to me. How one's belief can sustain her all the way. It ain't an easy journey, but she did it beautifully. It definitely encouraged me... and I think it's what a book is all about.. more than entertainment but bring inspiration and encourage ...more
Jul 26, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this in 5 hours, barely putting it down. An incredible story of one family's love for a child that would never take her first breath... I feel completely wrung out by it; as if I've travelled the road with them, and experienced every emotion along the way... spectacular in the raw beauty of the writing... I wholeheartedly recommend this book to everyone... the world would be a better place if we could show such love for humanity as is shown here...
Mom
Mar 28, 2008 Mom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jana, J-T, Nickie, Pat, Tim, Cyndi. Cheryl
Recommended to Mom by: Sarah Matichuck
Shelves: books-i-ve-read
The love this couple had for their as yet unborn child
was awesome, inspiring. It was for me a chance to look inside myself and look more deeply at my reactions to difficulties in life whether about birth or death or all of the inbetween; whether I respond with love or not.
I am glad to know that their are such real people as these.
The mother is my daughter Sarah's professor at Regent College.
Adele Pilkington
Dec 22, 2013 Adele Pilkington rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a society which often strives for perfection the book sensitively and honestly tells the story of a couple who take the difficult decision to continue with a pregnancy where the child cannot survive but it lovingly explores the bond between mother and child and other family throughout the pregnancy. Never an easy read but certainly worthwhile.
Heidi Archer
Dec 16, 2015 Heidi Archer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The self is seen as a capacity for God. Rather than equating my selfhood with my ever-changing physical substance, which will in the end let me down in death and decay, Christianity defines self as a spirit whose substance and meaning is derived from relationship with the eternal God."

Grab your tissues reading this book. Get ready to be challenged and humbled.
Rebecca Dow
May 04, 2015 Rebecca Dow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly honest. I plan to read this book over and over again!
Sarah Tummey
Mar 16, 2015 Sarah Tummey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
My favourite book of all-time. Extremely moving and I loved Sarah's storytelling style.
Paula
I listened to this while pregnant with my son. I don't recommend doing that! It was a very inspiring but utterly heart-rending story and I admire this family's courage in dealing with their impending loss in such a gracious and loving way.
Frankie
Jan 24, 2013 Frankie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
A beautiful and challenging story of what it means to be human. I am honored to learn from this wise an tender hearted woman
Rose Murray
May 30, 2008 Rose Murray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book makes me cry.
I loved it. One of those books that reminds me that although I get older, the less I know.
Nicola Lew
Nicola Lew rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2016
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2016
André Freitas
André Freitas rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2016
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
JosephZ
JosephZ marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Maria Osen
Maria Osen rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Thea
Thea rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2016
Melissa Ratel
Melissa Ratel marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Tasha
Tasha marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Tim
Tim added it
Jan 02, 2016
Katherine C Maddex
Katherine C Maddex rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2015
Heather Strecker
Heather Strecker marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Meryl Thompson
Meryl Thompson rated it it was ok
Nov 03, 2015
Jocelyn
Jocelyn marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
John Galeon
John Galeon marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015