She's Out of Control (Ashley Stockingdale, #2)

She's Out of Control (Ashley Stockingdale #2)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  1,275 ratings  ·  61 reviews
Ever been on the verge of buying your own engagement ring?

Ashley Stockingdale, the charming but always-in-over-her-head patent attorney from "What a Girl Wants," has finally found the man she wants to marry. But after nine months of dating, it seems her commitment-phobe boyfriend will never use the "M" word. And just when she thinks she's got it all together, Ashley is hav...more
Published July 1st 2004 by Thomas Nelson Publishers

Redeeming Love by Francine RiversA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversThe Yada Yada Prayer Group by Neta JacksonAn Echo in the Darkness by Francine RiversThe Master's Plan A Novel About Purpose by Stephany Tullis
Christian Chick Lit
31st out of 418 books — 409 voters
Redeeming Love by Francine RiversThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversThe Shack by Wm. Paul YoungThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Best Christian Fiction
329th out of 1,428 books — 1,858 voters

More lists with this book...

Joanne Goon
Sep 01, 2007 Joanne Goon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Christian women.
This was a book I could totally relate to! The main character seemed to have beliefs and values modeled exactly like my own, while still being human enough to express her true thoughts and feelings. I could really identify with the struggles she encountered with desiring and striving to act in a Christ-like manner, and at the same time thinking some unbelievably sarcastic or cynical thoughts. I couldn't stop laughing when she actually WISHED that someone's babies would come out looking like monk...more
Jessie Weaver
She's Out of Control is an apt title for Ashley's goofy life in this second book in Billerbeck's Ashley Stockingdale trilogy. Unlike other poor little rich girls, though, Ashley is completely loveable in her crazy antics. The novel begins with Ashley lamenting the confused interest of her boyfriend, geeky bald engineer Seth. When he scurries off to India for a job, Ashley's left in a state of total confusion, with the puppy he bought her rapidly increasing in size and destructive qualities. You...more
Alison.rigney
I LOVE ASHLEY! I completely bonded with her character when I first read it.
Amanda Birdwell
I feel like there have been Mandy Moore movies made out of some of these books, no? I have not seen these movies, although I am strangely titillated by the concept of Mandy Moore in a series of Christian-chick-flick movies. If there exists a market for chick lit about adorable Christian lesbians, I am that market.

Anyway, I like this book. I like, in a large part, being reminded that there are people in their twenties whose inner lives are comprised in a large part of trying to maintain a relati...more
Beth Peninger
Well. I read book 1 of Ashley Stockingdale's life a year ago and just now decided to finish our her series. Book 1 must not have annoyed me much if I kept on my list books 2 and 3. Because if it had annoyed me as much as books 2 and 3 (that review is forthcoming) then I wouldn't have finished the series.
Ashley Stockingdale is a Christian who gives the term "Christianese" it's full meaning. She is, in all honesty, shallow, self-absorbed, and obnoxious. Many times I wished I could enter into the...more
Amancay
Jan 13, 2011 Amancay rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sara Michelotti, Jennie Klinke, Aireann Franz
wow! I'm completely with out words... slightly torn, confused, and simply sitting back... trying desperately to cling on to the notion that God really does know what's best, and has the most AmazingPlan for each and everyone of us. Unfortunately, some pieces of all of this hit so dern close to home it's frightening... now if my knight in shining armor would just pop his head into my life, I might be able to actually move along *shrug* in His Timing... I know *sigh*

FTR: at this rate (approx. 1 1/...more
Lonzine
First I must say, that I love Ashley Wilkes Stockingdale, the heroine of this book series. I also like her friends Brea, Kay and Dr. Kevin Novak. The series is styled Christian Chick Lit, but it is relevant to women everywhere, Christian or secular, regardless of ethnicity. I'm a Black American female, but I totally get where Ashley is coming from. In fact, some of my friends actually think she sounds like me. I think it's wonderful when an author can develop a character so thoroughly that s/he...more
Valerie (Val's Vicinity)
Ashley Stockingdale is back with more of her drama-queen antics (aka whining) in this sequel to What a Girl Wants.

Ashley has been dating her boyfriend for 9 months, and there seems no end in sight. He won't commit to anything long-term, and he starts to squirm whenever the subject comes up. Ashley apparently loves him and wants to get married, but he won't commit, and at the age of 31 she is feeling her biological clock ticking. Back and forth Ashley goes on the subject, she loves him, but shoul...more
Kim
For a "clean" Christian chick lit book, I found Ashley to be entertaining. Of course I got bored of her overly dramatic search for a husband, which often came off as whining, but she was a very likeable person other than that minor issue. I read the 2nd book first (not knowing it was a series or even Christian) and from then, I read #1 and #3....all three in a little over a week. I'd be friends with Ashely in real life as long as she wasn't too preachy.

The three books are very typical chick lit...more
Denise Kettering
This Christian chick-lit book is the second in the Ashley Stockingdale series and it picks up right where the previous one left off. Ashley is in a dither as she tries to make her relationship with the man of her dreams, Seth Greenwood work out. However, their differing approaches to their relationship make it difficult for them to come together. The situation is further complicated when both of their exes show up and their is renewed interest from the exes. While I generally liked the book, at...more
De Anna
Aug 19, 2010 De Anna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any female who is into a good chick lit read.
Jodi
I just saw this book at the library and thought it might be good. It was super funny. A girl has been dating a guy for 9 months and thinks its time for an engagement but the guy has other ideas. The big day comes and all her friends have been invitied to the boyfriends for a surprise. He gives her a dog instead of a boyfriend. Her world is crazy and she is a bit misguided and naive when it comes to men. It is a cute story and would like to see more with the same characters.
Brooke
This book is the second in teh Ashley Stockingdale series. It picks up where book one left off. The characters are likeable and the storyline while predictable keeps a good pace. If I could have a I would have given this book a 3.5. It was good to get another glimpse at what was going on the the lives of the characters of this book. I would recommend this author and this series especially if you want a light quick read.
Lori
Aug 05, 2009 Lori rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
This is the second book in Billerbeck's Ashley Stockingdale series. I am happy to say that I really enjoyed this book! Ashley finally grew a backbone, which is something I need in a female character (especially the heroine). This book was much less predictable than the first and, though I still can't see myself in Ashley, I did enjoy "watching" her stumble through life in her own clumsy way.
Natalie
This is the first book in a trilogy of "Christian Chic lit" about the same main character Ashley Stockingdale. The writer's style is so fresh and the character Ashley is so quirky...her life is really believeable. In the book you follow Ashley, a patent lawyer, on her "indirect" search to find Mister Right. I caught myself laughing out loud at least a dozen times. It was so much fun to read!
Cherie Galyon
Classic tale of which guy will she choose. Portrayed the two guys as equally likable at first and I was pleasantly surprised at her choice. I love the drama surrounding each guy. Ashley is a character we feel like we can relate to. I read this series one after another. Good thing my friend owned all 3!
Alex
I'm enjoying this cute and fun "Christian chick-lit" series, and this second book was better than the first. I liked Ashley more in this one, though I do still think she can be a bit judgmental at times. (That was reined in a lot in this book, though.)

On to the next (and final?) book.
Elena
This book was fun to read and so present! I've not read many "inspirational/religion fiction" books, but Kristin Billerbeck does such a good job of making the characters relatable and real, I definitly will be reading more!
Holly
I liked that she got her life in order but I was so worried she was going to waffle between guys again, but she ended up with the one I wanted her to. Good book :)Can't wait to read the last one!
Likkia
I am not normally a reader of this genre of books, but I really enjoy this series. I read this book in afternoon because I just could not put it down, I had to know where Ashley would end up at.
Jessica
This one was more surprising than the first. I was totally expecting Ashley to end up with Seth. I was shocked when Kevin proposed to her at the end, but I was happy with the ending.
Marsha
Sequel to What a Girl Wants - about Ashley Stockingdale, patent attorney in CA - struggles with her job and ends her relationship with Seth - pursues relationship with Dr. Kevin Novak
Charmayne Orton
By the third book, I was becoming a little redundant, but I still enjoyed reading it. Sometimes it is fun to have something light to read that doesn't require much concentration.
Becca
Book 2 of 3 in a Christian chick lit series. The characters aren't the deepest, but the story is cute. Gotta love a book where a dog helps the girl sort her life out too!
Sousygirl
This was a great book. Kristen Billerbeck is a great Christian fiction chick-lit author. I love the way she incorporates a real life situation but with a religious spin.
I wish I would have read this book before its sequel. It was still good though as I was able to see where the story came from and all the guy issues Ashley was having.
Ashley
Jul 14, 2008 Ashley rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Christian single women
I love this series! I'm about to start the third book now. It's a great light read when you want a good laugh or two. I reccommend this to all single Christian women!
Monika
This series is perfect when I want a quick-read that doesn't involve too much thinking. What I love most about these books are Kristin Billerbeck's humor and wit.
Niccoya Dobson
I liked this book because I enjoy Ashley's story. I relate to her in several aspects. However, I thought the book contained several poorly written sections
Lisa
Ha, ha....Ashley with a dog! Although I liked the book, I felt as though the character, Ashley makes everything more dramatic than they really are.
  • Kissing Adrien
  • Savannah by the Sea
  • The Whitney Chronicles
  • Lost in Rooville
  • Consider Lily
  • The Guy I'm Not Dating
  • Let Them Eat Fruitcake (86 Bloomberg Place, #2)
  • Single Sashimi
  • Match Point (Lauren Holbrook, #3)
  • Dreaming in Black & White
  • Perfecting Kate
  • Leave It to Claire (Claire Everett #1)
About Kristin
I grew up with a strong sense of justice. I simply knew the way things should be. And since I’m not smart enough to be a district attorney, I am a novelist. My childhood was slightly confusing. I blame my parents for this. Oh heck, I’m going to blame them for everything. I think I would have turned out normal if it weren’t for them.
the billerbeck's

Okay, probably not. I am a fourth-g...more
More about Kristin Billerbeck...
What a Girl Wants (Ashley Stockingdale, #1) With This Ring, I'm Confused (Ashley Stockingdale, #3) She's All That (Spa Girls, #1) A Billion Reasons Why A Girl's Best Friend (Spa Girls, #2)