3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  9,410 ratings  ·  506 reviews
When movie star Angel DeMarco suffers his first heart attack on location near Seattle, his survival depends on a heart transplant. He's medevac-ed to a local hospital famed for its cardiology unit and placed under the care of Dr. Madelaine Hillyard--the pregnant girlfriend he'd abandoned 17 years earlier. Facing death, he's forced to come to terms with his misspent life an...more
Published October 30th 1996 by Ballantine Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Home Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home Again

The Help by Kathryn StockettThe Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk KiddGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggThe Notebook by Nicholas Sparks
Best Women's Fiction Novels
149th out of 855 books — 858 voters
On Mystic Lake by Kristin HannahThe Things We Do for Love by Kristin HannahA Bend in the Road by Nicholas SparksThe Walk by Richard Paul EvansFairytales for Wilde Girls by Allyse Near
Amazing Stories
12th out of 39 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Beccalarge
Uggg....Kristin Hannah. I thought I would give her another chance. I have read books by her that have drawn me in, that have been well written and beautiful (Firefly Lane, Winter Garden), books that made me think she could really write.

And then I read books written by her that made me cringe a little and think of a bad, overly sappy Lifetime movie. But this one? This book? I couldn't even finish it. And I NEVER stop reading a book once I start (unless it gets so vulgar I can't keep reading). But...more
Annika
About 1/3 of the way into this book, I predicted it. I stuck with it, because it's not a terrible story (I've read waaaay worse), but it's so fluffy and cheesy that it's almost painful to read. And I was right, the author didn't surprise me with some snappy twist ala Jodi Picoult. She just finished her merry little story. I'm glad I don't cry easily.

Angel Demarco is this world famous actor, nominated for an Oscar, but he keeps saying he's not that great of an actor. He causes mass riots and pres...more
Leslie
Chana Snyder
OMG, no. Full stop. I got through about a third of this book before I lost my patience and dropped it to the floor. A few things I'm glad for: 1) that I didn't pay for the book; 2) that I don't live (or know anyone who does) in the emotionally warped world that the author's constructed here. What a train wreck!

Has any of these characters matured at all during the course of their adult lives? Why does that seem like such an unreasonable request? What really dropped my jaw was when another review...more
Miz
This book was exactly what I needed to read. Little did I know when I started it that I would devour it in under 24 hours, and at times my face would be damp from tears that unwittingly fell onto the screen of my ebook.

By page 20 I knew what was going to happen, but the foreshadowing didn’t lessen the impact of what came next. The characters were so rich that I felt genuine warmth for them all and loved their character development. The one upset for me, and it’s very minor, is that I didn’t rea...more
Angel
I'm usually a big fan of Kristin Hannah, but Home Again just didn't do it for me. The idea of the book seemed promising, but Kristin Hannah just didn't deliver. The whole story of the heart surgery and the family dramas just didn't seem real to me. How am I supposed to believe that you would still fall in love with the same man who broke your heart so many years ago? Sure, people should be allowed second chances, but forgiving someone for running out of your life without as much saying goodbye w...more
Susana Guerra
I can honestly never get tired of saying how much I love Kristin Hannah! This book gives you an enormous amount of hope, faith, and love. Francis is such an incredible character. The way he takes care of Maddy and Lina, and loves them so deeply in such a pure and Godly way. Angel, Frances brother is the opposite but has a heart of Gold. The story develops as Angel needs a heart transplant and goes back to his hometown, where he ran away when Maddy became pregnant at 16. He leaves the Only two pe...more
Gina

5 / 5

Kristin Hannah does it again! Another wonderful story filled with hope & love. The story was wrapped in a very neat & tidy little package. Some might say, a little too good to be true but I was more than fine with that.

In true Kristin Hannah form, this is another "grab the Kleenex!" story. Her characters are so well developed (I adored Francis in this book) and you will most certainly feel their hurt, feel their loss, want to give them a hug and then cheer them on. I thou...more
Amy
This was the first Kristin Hannah book that really let me down. I think this could have been a much better book than it was, the story arch was great, but the characters were flat and transparent. i also found myself disliking the whiny nature of every character in this book. is it possible for every character in a story to be this boring and irritating?
i've read worse, but i have also read better. this book gets 3 stars for the mediocrity of everything between the front and back covers. some st...more
Tanya
Oh my goodness. I don't think I've enjoyed a book more in the past year or so as much as I did this book! I started to need the Kleenex close to half way into the book and went through about 3 boxes! It's a great book that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy in the inside! GREAT BOOK! =)
Rhonda Rae Baker
Kristin Hannah is one of my favorite authors!

This book was picked up at a yard sale for 50 cents and what an amazing treasure it turned out to be. I couldn't put it down...LOL.

I loved the characters and was quickly feeling what was happening in their lives as Kristin writes so dramatically. There were many twists and turns that came together in beautiful ways. I was crying more then laughing on this one but it warmed my heart and somehow I feel encouraged.

Life is hard...turns come at us with no...more
Christy
This book was too predictable and overly emotional. I have read most of Kristen Hannah's books, and was looking forward to this. I then realized it was one of her older ones and she hadn't perfected her suspense and her nuance in dealing with human interactions. The premise was ok but the characters overwritten. I predicted every single twist and turn in this book. It was also very unrealistic. I understand she had a storyline to fit into the timeline, however they just didn't match up despite a...more
Cathy
Oh, this was a good book.

Angel had myocardidis as a child, and now as an adult has to have a heart transplant. Now he reluctanly has to change his lifestyle if he wants to 1) get a new heart and 2) live alot longer. Now Angel finds out that his cardiologist is a girl friend from high school he basicly dumped and ran away from.

Personaly, as an adult I had myocardidis, I didn't have to have a heart transplant; although it is a life changing illness and can be very scarey. I've read two of Kristin...more
Betsey
This is an early work, just about 1 step above a cheesy romance novel. It's not as good as her later books, but it's a diverting summer read all the same.
Mac van Leeuwen
This is one of those books I read time and time again.

Madeline, at first, struck me as an older... well... me. I won't get into that. She was the sort of typical person, while being so much more. I sympathized with her pain, loneliness, and seemingly clueless and hopeless attitude towards the world, all while somehow managing to maintain something that she could keep perfect. Work. Because work doesn't require you to be social and perfect.

Lina was such a typical teenager with a troubled family,...more
Celia Kennedy
Kristin Hannah has an extraordinary gift, perhaps well crafted tool, in reeling us into her story immediately. She fills our heads and hearts with powerful imagery and whether or not the plotline is predictable, there is an emotional need to finish the book; not because I want to find out that I predicted the plotline correctly, but because I have fallen in love with the characters.

The first book of hers that I read was Firefly Lane, and it ripped me apart emotionally. This and Winter Garden. To...more
Mina
Kristin Hannah tends to be chick-lit-ish beachy reads. But entertaining ones. I often appreciate the way she handles relationships of all sorts. This was not one of her best, a little more on the soap opera side than some. But still a nice diversion, kept my interest. Got me half-way through a funeral trip.

(I can't figure out this particular cover. Unless it happens after the action of the book. Which would be odd. Not that it really matters.)
Melissa
If you tear up over and over does that mean that it was a good book? At least this time I will say YES! There was a while there with Father Francis when I was nervous about the direction it might take, but that worked itself out. I also am not a very forgiving type when it comes to betrayal so it took me a while to get over Angel's selfishness and immaturity. By the last page I was with the program and willing to go where the author was taking us.
Sally
Finally...an earlier Kristin Hannah book that I just LOVED!

About 3 chapters in, I felt completely swept into this story and the characters' lives. I related to the rebellious, yet hurting teen girl, I felt like I was a part of the special friendship between two of the characters and my heart ached for the loneliness of the heroin.

I cried during so much of this book and my heart felt full when their hearts were full.

well done.
Kryptique
Good!! Hannah writes at the start of this book that it marked a turning point for her in quality of writing. It became deeper and more emotionally gripping. I concur!! Her earlier works are ok, not bad but not really my ideal. This is more like Picoult---bringing me to tears every few chapters, but in a good way. More vivid writing and showing deep emotion, less formulaic and predictable, deeper characters who are more real.
June
Home Again is a very touching story about three people and how they've touched each other's lives. I found it a little predictable a couple of times but overall it was a book I couldn't abandon. Kristin Hannah is a very good storyteller and I always get excited when I come across one of her books that I haven't read. I would highly recommend you to read it. Some funny times and some crying times, but always touching.
Danielle
I had to read some other reviews to remind myself what this book was about, since its been quite a while since I've read it, but it's beginning to come back to me.

In Seattle, Madeline is a successful cardiac surgeon and single mother of a troubled teenage daughter, Lina who relies on her brother-in-law, priest Francis, in order to cope. Francis' brother Angel is a famous Hollywood actor who lives life in the fast lane, enjoying the parties and the women and the like. Soon, Angel learns that he h...more
Karen
I read this book a month or more ago now and just haven't gotten around to adding it to Goodreads. I liked it a lot and would definitely recommend it to friends. As you'll see from my favorite quotes, the book deals with family and loss and grief, but it was beautiful and inspiring even while it made me cry.

Some of my favorite quotes:
P 244-She'd told Angel that they had to learn to live without Francis-but how could she do that? How could you learn to live without the sunshine on your face?

P 26...more
Jen
Everytime I pick up one of her books, I am reminded why I enjoy them. Fantastic characters and storyline. I laugh and cry theou them.

Home Again was no different! My heart ached reading about the mother/daughter struggles and the struggles of the heart.
Robin
When Movie Star Angel DeMarco suffers a heart attack, his survival depends on a heart transplant. Moved to a prestigious hospital in Seattle, he is put under the care of Dr. Madelaine Hillyard, the pregnant girlfriend he abandoned 17 years ago. Facing death, he tries to come to terms with his misspent life, and attempt to make things right with Madelaine, his saintly priest brother, Francis, and his rebellious daughter, Lina.

This book was a definite tearjerker. Kristin Hannah characters are well...more
Melissa
This book made me cry like a baby in the middle and I was not expecting it at all. I thought I was picking up a light fluffy read but I loved the relationship between Frances and the other three main characters and how he tied everything together.
Sandy Barker
Best book I've read this summer! I was so emotionally involved that I think I cried for the last half of the book. In a good way. I highly recommend this if you like to read romance and about relationships between parents and children.
Lee Schermerhorn
Pam
This book made me absolutely Sob! I used a whole box of tissues I'm sure. Page 192 especially made me weep but there were so many other passages that mad my husband look at me and ask, "Are you ok?"
Helen
Such a tear jerking story! I loved all of the characters, especially Francis. Who wouldn't? The kind of story that will stay with you for a while after the last turned page.
  • Summer People
  • Beach Girls
  • Driftwood Summer
  • Life Without Summer
  • The Lies We Told
Kristin Hannah is the New York Times bestselling author of eighteen novels, including the blockbuster Firefly Lane and Night Road. She is a former lawyer turned writer and is the mother of one son. She lives in the Pacific Northwest and Hawaii with her husband.
More about Kristin Hannah...
Firefly Lane (Firefly Lane, #1) Winter Garden Night Road Home Front True Colors

“Love meant always being a little afraid.” 6 likes
“But it had gotten so boring, all that crying and wanting and needing. This year she'd realized that she'd never be like her mom, and the realization had freed her. She stopped trying to get good grades and make good friends, and do everything well. She had flourished in her rebellion, reveled in it.” 5 likes