Start by marking “The Wallflower, Vol. 1 (The Wallflower, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Wallflower, Vol. 1 (The Wallflower, #1)

The Wallflower, Vol. 1 (The Wallflower #1)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  13,025 ratings  ·  161 reviews
MAKEOVER OF THE CENTURY
It’s a gorgeous, spacious mansion, and four handsome, fifteen-year-old friends are allowed to live in it for free! There’s only one condition–that within three years the guys must transform the owner’s wallflower niece into a lady befitting the palace in which they all live! How hard can it be?
Enter Sunako Nakahara, the agoraphobic, horror-movie-lovi
Published October 12th 2004 by Del Rey (first published October 13th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Wallflower, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wallflower, Vol. 1

Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga/Anime Book Ever
35th out of 890 books — 2,605 voters
Fruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri HinoSpecial A, Vol. 1 by Maki Minami
Favorite Shoujo Manga
62nd out of 588 books — 1,227 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
When the going gets rough, it's time to turn to manga! Allow me to pimp out one of my favorites series of all time.

The Wallflower has long been a favorite manga series of mine, it's got beautiful artwork, absolutely gorgeous men (HELLO REVERSE HAREM), a grumpy, evil, and seriously dark heroine (you can probably tell I like her), and surprisingly enough for a reverse harem...just the right amount of romance. It's fucking adorable. There is no love triangle, despite the reverse-harem premise.

**not
Kay
One of my favorite manga series ever! The best way to describe The Wallflower is bizzaro and effing hilarious.

It's the story of a gothic, agoraphobic, slasher movie fanatic named Sunako who busts into nosebleeds whenever she sees beautiful men (i.e. Creatures of Light). Her social circle is limited to her beloved "dolls" (a skeleton named Josephine, and two anatomical figures named Hiroshi and Akira. One day, her dark and horror film filled life is turned upside down when her aunt recruits four
Diane ϟ [ Lestrange ]
This manga is CUTE.. haha

Wallflower manga Review

"Story & Playability"
Wallflower also known as Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge has a story line that is not something too extrodinaire but something that assumes and an everyday life but with a twist to it. At first when Kyohei and Sunako meets each other (along with Takenaga, Yukinojo and Ranmaru) for the very first time they seem totally incompatable but gradually as episodes come and go they seem closer to each other than any other pairings in
Bipasha{is eviscerated by fiction}
Apr 29, 2014 Bipasha{is eviscerated by fiction} rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Bipasha{is eviscerated by fiction} by: Khanh...I'm so so sorry, I didn't like this. :"(
Shelves: coversux
Deficits All Expectations. Sigh. 2.5 wasted stars:(

Perfect Girl Evolution/ The Wallflower is about an “ugly” (read: perfectly beautiful but unpolished, the boys have partial blindness perhaphs) girl who happens to live in an awesome house. Enter four spectacularly gorgeous(um, no, not really) boys who wish to live in that house, and chance on a lucky opportunity by the landlady to live rent-free in the palacial mansion, but on one condition: to turn the wallfower, who is also the niece of the pe
Jessica-Robyn
Life lesson from The Wallflower #1:
When reading about ridiculousness and prettiness one should always be humming this: http://youtu.be/Ye7PIyIcCro
Your Welcome. XD

First exposed to The Wallflower through seeing the first couple episodes of the anime I found the story and art style to be interesting but most importantly it was funny, over the top, and seemed to be coming from completely out of nowhere. I'm glad to see that this correlate even more so in the manga.

It took me a bit longer then I e
Dana
I loved it!! So bizarre...cross-dressing teenage boys...agoraphobic, slasher film-obsessed girls... sex-for-hire auction posing as posh host club...I mean, when will the madness end?!? I can't wait to read volume 2!
Chibineko
This review is kind of representative for my feelings of the series as a whole. I'd stopped reading around volume 16 because I got tired of waiting for something to happen. I'm somewhat OK with series that are supposed to be zany Ranma 1/2 type series where it's supposed to be a zero hour setting where it's more about getting in repeated madcap adventures than telling a plot line. I just got a little bugged because at times this series would progress in the plot, then have Sunako regress almost ...more
Degeorgetown
I tried to read this because I'd heard such great things about it, but I hated it. The art was ugly, I couldn't tell one boy from another. The main character is extremely unlikeable. She tries to murder one of the guys with scissors and everyone is cool with it, no one thinks she needs psychiatric help. I quit reading in disgust after she befriended a serial rapist because they were both "misunderstood". Waltz Tango Foxtrot doesn't come close to describing my reaction.
Jacqueline

Okay, I'm officially fangirling over this shojo manga series, like hardcore. The characters are flippin' adorable-ness with a topping of SO DAMN FUN! The lead heroine, Sunako, is pretty much my definition of Misfit Weirdo, and I love her like mad for that fact! I'm obsessed with how this series is so character driven, and I'm practically drooling at the mouth to get my hands on Volume 2. Much drool; all of the drool.

Yes, yes, the plot is a bit simplistic in that it's the "Four Hot Guys Need To T
Nick
Sep 11, 2008 Nick rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
Overall Rating: B
Synopsis: A Shōjo comedy/romance manga created by Tomoko Hayakawa. At the beginning of the manga, Sunako Nakahara confesses her love to a boy, who utterly rejects her and tells her she's ugly. As any reasonably young person would do, Sunako then discards all traces of her femininity, and retreats into odd and morbid hobbies, such as collecting skulls.

Fortunately, Sunako's aunt owns a mansion that four gorgeous boys live in (huh?). Apparently, the boys pay rent to live in the ma
Mizuki
Me and my manga-reading aunt both love this series.XD

Crazy plot, crazy setting and equally crazy sense of humor are at work here. And the four pretty boys are much more than just eye-candies, though the mention of their huge army of fangirls and those fangirls' extreme behaviors are always oh-so over the top.

Outside of the manga itself, the author Tomoko Hayakawa's undying love for the Japanese Visual Kei male rock star Kiyoharu is just equally hilarious! She loves him so much that she basically
Tracy
Oct 06, 2008 Tracy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any girl who ever thought she was ugly
Recommended to Tracy by: youtube's wallflower anime music videoes
Yesterday, I broke down and bought Volume One, since B&N was out of Charlaine Harris's vampire series' books I was looking for. Anyway, it was worth the wait (and the cash). (Except now I have to buy volumes 2-17). I love the drawing/ art style and the story is amazing. The series is about a girl named Sunako who has shunned all things beautiful (including caring about herself) ever since the first boy she told she loved called her ugly. Two years pass, and Sunako's aunt decides she needs he ...more
Whereis
Great manga. I like the over all story, even though it's fairly typical of a shoujo manga and the pairings are pretty obvious. However, I must highly recommend that any one interested in this manga should watch the anime first (you can watch it for free right now on Hulu, it's rated MA but I honestly don't know why). The anime will give you a better immediate idea of the characters and you can more easily identify the guys by name. The art style in the manga, while nice makes it really hard to t ...more
Mark Corpuz
I'm waiting for this. I don't like only in manga. I watched yamato nadeshiko when I was grade 6 student and that was years ago. And it happened that I watch it again today and OH I FELL IN LOVE.. what now? it's 2012 and yet there's still no new season. Yes, Yamato Nadeshiko is still on going and we can read manga online but what the hell!! What can i do with a book?? IT'S NOT EVEN MOVING! THE CHARACTERS ARE NOT MOVING. in short, THERE IS NO EMOTION!! I miss the voice of Kyohei Takano >_<
Brooklyn Teen-central
Reviewed by delil1 (TCRC)

Bishonens (super hot, teenage guys) Kyouhei Takano, Takenaga Oda, Yukinojo "Yuki" Toyama, and Ranmaru Morii all live together in the mansion of miss Nakahara. when her niece moves in she gives the boys a choice they could start paying full rent or they can turn her niece the gothic loner Sunako Nakahara into a lady. witch leads them into all sorts of wacky situations and accward positions in there atemp to make her into whay her aunt wants her to be.
Rakisha
May 28, 2008 Rakisha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of boy bands, pretty boys, My Fair Lady, and She's All That
Recommended to Rakisha by: Molly
Blood. Ghosts. Creatures of light! No, this isn’t a vampire-horror graphic novel. This is a wacky story about 4 hot guys with a mission to turn their landlady’s homely neice into a stunner, so they can get free rent. But when the poor thing looks like the girl from the movie The Ring, do the boys even have a chance? You’ll have to read the rest to find out. You’ll be laughing and cheering through out the whole series.
Lynanne Carroll
**This review is for the entire series (finished or unfinished). I started only adding the first volume from manga titles because, well, do you realize just how many volumes of One Piece there are?!**

Yamato Nadeshiko Shichihenge is one of the weirdest manga that I have ever read. This reason alone is enough for it to merit my affection...but that's not the only reason I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The characters are so ridiculously funny, especially Sunako. Here's a taste of the weirdness: Sunako ref
Cara Loughlin
I wasn't too sure about this manga at first because the art style is different from what I usually like (the main character usually appears in her little chibi form). But the story is hilarious! Goth girl vs the pretty boys.
Leah
I am not a shoujo fan in the slightest. I haven't a clue what made me read this series, but I couldn't be happier I did. YNSH is absolutely hysterical (although chibi!Sunako appears a bit too often for my liking).
Deana
Picked this up because it met requirements for a challenge. Definitely not my usual genre, though I have read some manga in the past that I enjoyed.

This one was ... cute, but interesting (in a bad way). Boys break out in rashes when they see an ugly girl. Bah. It really sends the wrong kind of message. It's one of those stories like Grease where the boys won't like her unless she wears sexy clothes and fancies up her hair.

Though it's not the boys who are really pushing the poor girl in this stor
Novera
I love it... The Setting are very Beautiful.. My friends told that I am Sunako... Can you believe it?.. But, I really love it.. Its amazing comic.. I want to be a rising Sunako.. I wish.. >_<
Kkalmoni
A really great series. About 4 bishies (young man) who need to makeover a girl into a lady in order to get free rent. Yamato who is into horror is resistent to the idea. A funny series.
A
i'm only adding one because the series is long but FUCKK sunaku-chan is the most hilarioussssssss antisocial likkle gurll ever, i love it. oh noes! creachhhauurs of the light!
Jessica
Sunako Nakahara is possibly my favorite character of all time. She's one of a handful that I unreservedly adore, at the least. I've watched the anime so much I figured it was time to read the manga.

The art and storyline are practically the same. Some of the movement pieces are a little clearer in the anime (like when Sunako pops out of the bushes at the beginning), but I really liked how the party scene was handled in the manga -- it's more "Sunako to the rescue, harmful politeness rules bedamn
Sandy
The anime follows the manga pretty closely. A fun read. Read vols 1-2.
Uzie
Komik yang selalu gw tunggu...
Sangat bisa ngurangin strez..
Eme Black
5/5
So I'm re-reading this as I dropped the series long ago (it's quite exhausting waiting for every chapter to come out), and I need to catch up.
I fell in love with Sunako's character just like I did before. Maybe it's the outcast feeling, the likes for things that people usually don't understand and the "dark" touch.
We find out that Sunako has to live at her aunt's home, where four boys already live paying a rent. The thing is, Sunako's aunt has promised there will be no more rent if they get
Red Lander Montoya
Apr 18, 2010 Red Lander Montoya marked it as manga
the beauty is useless the character is the best.
Awilma Acosta
Dec 16, 2009 Awilma Acosta rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Alex(from my girls group)
I really liked this book because
Forestgyrl
Talk about the funniest manga ever :)
Shoujo Manga Book...: The Wallflower Discussion 15 17 Apr 25, 2014 09:50AM
  • Silver Diamond, Volume 01: Silver Seed
  • Happy Hustle High, Vol. 1
  • Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, Vol. 01
  • The Devil Does Exist, Volume 1
  • Happy Cafe, Vol. 1 (Happy Cafe, #1)
  • Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances, Vol. 1
  • Electric Daisy, Vol. 1 (Dengeki Daisy, #1)
  • Hana-Kimi, Vol. 21 (Hana-Kimi, #21)
  • Penguin Revolution: Volume 1
  • Special A, Vol. 1 (Special A, #1)
  • キャットストリート Vol. 1 [Kyatto Sutorīto] (Cat Street, #1)
  • Othello (Volume 1)
Tomoko Hayakawa (はやかわ ともこ, Hayakawa Tomoyo) is a Japanese artist and writer, best known for her ongoing manga The Wallflower, which has spawned both an anime and a live action series.
More about Tomoko Hayakawa...
The Wallflower, Vol. 2 (The Wallflower, #2) The Wallflower, Vol. 3 (The Wallflower, #3) The Wallflower, Vol. 4 (The Wallflower, #4) The Wallflower, Vol. 5 (The Wallflower, #5) The Wallflower, Vol. 10 (The Wallflower, #10)