Start by marking “The Fortieth Door” as Want to Read:
The Fortieth Door

The Fortieth Door

This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan ...more
Published October 11th 2007 by BiblioLife (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about The Fortieth Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fortieth Door

Dec 06, 2013 Wanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, librivox
25 NOV 2013 -- my lunchtime walking book. A fun mystery set in Egypt. An archeologist goes unwillingly to a masquerade ball and mayhem follows.

6 DEC 2013 -- a very good listening-to companion for lunchtime walks.
Sep 15, 2012 Sammcnair rated it it was amazing
This was written in 1920, I think. Yet, the prose is quite vivid and compelling. Set in Cairo, with an archeologist who falls in love with a Turkish girl. While it doesn't provide new moral issues to contemplate, it was just such a good read that I thought it merited a 5. And, it was free on Kindle!!
Aug 31, 2012 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A charming, straightforward (despite mild attempts to be suspenseful) classic adventure story, full of stalwart heroes, exotic beauties, and dastardly villains. I enjoyed it very much, though the reader should have looked up a few pronunciations...
Aug 14, 2012 Cathy rated it liked it

I am a dyed in the wool murder & mayhem fan, and won't normally read a love story, but I read this anyway and rather enjoyed it, despite myself. It was a little different and gave some few insights into the old Muslim world.
Mar 12, 2015 Ellen rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobook, 2015
I found the plot so ludicrous that it was difficult to like anything else about this book. SPOILER ALERT. The "poor maiden" is being forced into a marriage by her evil stepfather so our intrepid hero flies to her rescue. When he points a gun at the baddie's head, the latter - who is an Army General - falls down in a dead faint. What does the intrepid hero do? Rather than tying the baddie up and gagging him, the hero ignores him at which he promptly jumps up from his pretend faint, disarms the he ...more
Jan 07, 2011 Paul rated it liked it
Good plot. Written in the early part of the 20th century. Takes place in British controlled Egypt.
Marts  (Thinker)
Jan 09, 2012 Marts (Thinker) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2012-reads
An American archeaologist attends a masked ball in Cairo and meets an unusual woman, thus begins a mystery...
Julie Davis
Apr 06, 2015 Julie Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly enjoyable adventure in Cairo in 1920. A love story, a swashbuckler, and a look back at very different times through the eyes of our brave hero, our equally as brave heroine and our loathsome villain. Harems, arranged marriages, mummies, tombs, and a lot of other wonderful settings enliven this story from Mary Hastings Bradley (who it was revealed up on her death was James Tiptree Jr.'s mother!).
Riplee Royster
Jun 02, 2015 Riplee Royster rated it really liked it
I listened to this book on my drive to and from work over the last couple weeks and really enjoyed it! There were some things I really didn't expect which were interesting and it made my drive much nicer! I would definitely recommend this!
Feb 22, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing
This was a captivating old book. I couldn't put it down!
Poached Hens
Aug 14, 2016 Poached Hens rated it really liked it
Interesting read.
Jun 05, 2008 Rhiannon rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
This was written by the mother of Alice B. Sheldon / James Tiptree, Jr. and I was interested in reading it after reading Julie Phillips' Tiptree biography. I had expected it wouldn't be very good, but it was worse than anticipated. Orientalist to the extreme, predictable plot, and the irritating tendency to describe everything with no less than two adjectives.
Jul 08, 2008 Meghan rated it liked it
A good adventure story, but you have to accept this book as a product of its time (a little racist, sexist, and imperialist).
An interesting book of a venture which takes place in Egypt. A good hobby for a quiet day.
"Well thanks for rescuing me! Bye."
Stacey rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2016
Ashley Reinhard
Ashley Reinhard rated it it was ok
Aug 06, 2016
Amaria added it
May 14, 2016
Caroline marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Enzo rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Naticia rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Elli Williams
Elli Williams rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2016
Stephen marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Trisha K.
Trisha K. marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Viola added it
Aug 26, 2014
Kate rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Kate Meacham
Kate Meacham rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2014
Wendy rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2014