Start by marking “Feel This Book: An Essential Guide to Self-Empowerment, Spiritual Supremacy, and Sexual Satisfaction” as Want to Read:

3.09 of 5 stars 3.09  ·  rating details  ·  453 ratings  ·  62 reviews
"We are professionals. Though not specifically professionals in the field of 'psychology' or 'psychiatry,' we are both highly paid actors and comedians, and as such know more about neuroses than you could possibly imagine. . . ."

If you're tired of following the rules, dating people from Mars and Venus, gorging on chicken soup for your soul, or getting lost on a road less...more
Published April 4th 2000 by Ballantine Books (first published April 27th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Feel This Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feel This Book

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyHow to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieGetting Things Done by David AllenOh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. SeussOrchids by Lisa Jey Davis
Motivational and Self-Improvement Books
181st out of 640 books — 699 voters
The Help by Kathryn StockettThe Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinExtremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran FoerLone Wolf by Jodi PicoultThe Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Books I want to read in 2012
321st out of 432 books — 359 voters

More lists with this book...

Jason Koivu
I did not "feel" this. Almost entirely expendable, Feel This Audiobook by Ben Stiller and Janeane Garofalo, does manage to draw out a laugh or two. Set up to mimic the self-help genre, replete with mood music, the book is successful at mockery. Even though I own a hardback version, I intentionally chose to listen to Stiller and Garofalo in order to fully appreciate their other forms of witticism, most commonly sarcasm and irony, which don't always translate as well to the written page (well, mos...more
Patrick
A fake self-help book by the dynamic duo. If Ben Stiller shit in a bucket, I'd be like, "Hey, do you guys want to go check out the new pail of Ben Stiller's poop?"
Karla
I don't remember much about this book, but I do remember laughing outloud a lot. I remember liking it and recommending it to people. so, i say, give it a try. What's not to love about Ben Stiller and/or Janeane Garofalo?
Stacey
Another book that I read a long time ago. Some parts of it were funny, some were not.
Janeane Garafalo is one of my favorite funny people. I even had the chance to meet her about ten years ago. :)
Taryn Chase
i thought this would be better on tape ("Feel This Audiobook") since they read it so you can get a sense of the delivery... but it was really pretty uninteresting.
Erin
This was a quick, funny book that reads very much like Stiller and Garofalo's respective comedic routines. So much so, in fact, that while reading Ben's chapters, I couldn't help but hear Derek Zoolander's voice. He's sharp, witty, and appears to have a *huge* grudge against Paul Reiser and his "-hood" books (Couplehood, Babyhood, which I've read and enjoyed).

While reading Janeane's chapters, I envisioned Daria from MTV's show of the same name. I know Janeane didn't do the voice of Daria, but th...more
Bardin
This was a pretty good book, but frankly, I think Ben Stiller deserves more of the writing credit. I think he wrote roughly 80% of the thing. Plus, his stuff was just, frankly, funnier, and that is no big slight to Jeanine Garafalo, who I am a big fan of. Jeanine had her moments, and some of the quotes (which you can see in Goodreads itself) are hilarious, but Ben Stiller came up with some great ideas including a phony self-help term (that I can't remember) that describes some sort of prayer/poe...more
Brenna Flood
I love their comedy (i.e. Ben Stiller Show, Mystery Men, etc.), but...

Firstly, I felt like some of the narration read like they were exercising an inside joke between the two of them through their writing. An inside joke where they were discussing how we, the reader, are suckers for buying their book.

Secondly, while I'm one for dark humor and abundant sarcasm, their use of it left the filmy residue of depression. I just felt *sad* for them.

And finally, if you are going spin a comedy yarn using...more
Zach Ulibarri
Considering that Janeane Garofalo is one of my favorite comedians, I was really expecting a lot more from this. It's OK, but what few funny parts exist are spread too few and far between. Fortunately, it is mercifully quite short.
Jo
Sep 03, 2014 Jo added it
Shelves: uni-list
I have no memory of reading this, but I love these two.
Charlotte
I'm a big fan of Janeane Garofalo and a pretty big fan of Ben Stiller too, but I found this collection of satirical self-help essays to be inconsistent, at times phoned in, and overall less that I expected from these comedic heavy hitters. The most redeeming chapter was a neurotic confession from her about the conflict between a healthy bowel and a healthy love life. But the extent to which I enjoyed it says more about me than the quality of the book. Maybe not a total "skip" but certainly not a...more
Ej
I don't remember many details ...but I do remember that the book , though not a page turner , was funny enough . It's not meant to be a well written account of the trials and tribulations blah blah blah blah...it's meant to just be off the cuff and sarcastic , which it manages to pull off. Not the best read of your life ...but it's light enough , easy enough to put down , and the layout presented in a manner that makes this a fairly entertaing "potty-time" read (and that's not a BAD thing.)
Matt Chic
Life lessons, spiritual guidance, and relationship advice from Ben Stiller and Janeane Garofalo. Pretty much trading off every other chapter Stiller and Garofalo throw in their two cents on what to make of this stupid life. Like any good "humor" book it's a quick read, but also crucial to a "humor" book, is that is was funny. I laughed more at Stiller's stuff, but that might just be because Janenane Garofalo uses much bigger vocabulary words that I didn't understand.
Bunny
When I requested this book from the Ravelry Book RAK, I suspected I would enjoy Janeane's part more than Ben's. If I'd trusted my instincts, I would've skipped Ben's all together.

I should've stuck with that instinct.

Five stars for Janeane's chapters. Ben Stiller has never done anything that makes me a fan of his, and this book is no exception.
Samantha
This book is mocking the whole He Said/She Said layout as Stiller and Garofalo alternate writing chapters (the first two are each person's account of how they were set up, got loaded, and got it on). They're funny people and they write some funny stuff but ultimately the book is just kind of ehh. It lacks focus and really suffers because of it.
Missy
This was hilarious, I swear. It's a parody of those stupid self-help/advice and Couplehood-type books that celebrities and comedians publish. This one gives absolutely the worst advice on everything; I mean, they just make the shit up, and it's damn funny. (Thanks again, Lauren.)
Sarah Pierce
I love Janeane Garofalo. She’s clever and sarcastic and sometimes downright mean. Ben Stiller is OK, I guess. This is a comedic “self-help” book, and while Stiller’s chapters were passable, Garofalo’s chapters were genius and made me laugh out loud several times.
Cen
The rare bits of commedy allowed me to get 2/3 through this book.

I read this after forming an interest in the two authors' commedy styles. I now wish I hadn't read it. I can't look at either of them and not remember this bounded stack of toilet paper.
Meganmagdalena
This book was exactly what I was expecting. And I mean that in a good way. If you like Ben & Janeane* and you're in need of a good laugh then I would recommend this book. *If you're not a fan of them you will most likely find this book incredibly annoying.
Lauren
Very funny. At first attempt, one might think Stiller and Garofalo are writing a serious book, but they're not. Or maybe they are, but in a bitingly backwards sarcastic way that has lent itself to innumerable witty quotes and much snorted laughter.
This one wasn't as good as I would have hoped. I learned that Ben Stiller was a jerk and Janeane Garafalo is very insecure, but she is a far better writer than Ben. I wished it was a little funnier, it would have been easier for me to get through.
j to the muthafuckin R
Making a mockery of new age groups and pointing out the parasitic intentions of those making money off of all those self-help books has never been as funny as when these 2 who bring the humor you have grown to love to you in book form.
Alan Hoffman
Wanted more. They say the book was originally supposed to be more of a he-said/she-said of an early relationship they had - and there wasn't enough there for them to write about. So it just kind of goes onto various topics.
Jason Ruggles
While there were a few half smiles that this book produced, it was just mildly amusing. The back and forth between the two writers felt too jarring and the whole spoof on self-help books felt contrived.

A big "meh" for me.
Damion
This book is two things to me: a portrait of young adults in the disgruntled but optimistic Nineties and a portrait of young adults who are everyone I know right now. The hangover Fastermation is sheer brilliance.
Dawn
Ok technically I didn't finish reading it but I do love them especially Ben Stiller Interesting to know that at one point they were F*** buddies and she is an alcoholic. Strange book - just like them
Aaron
Remembering more books I've read (brought on my a reorganization of our book shelves) ... this one is mediocre. I like Stiller and Garafalo. They're smart and funny. But the book falls flat in too many places.
Daniel Currie
While I wouldn't say this book is a classic, it has some genuinely funny moments. If you like Janeane Garofolo & Ben Stiller (which I do) you'll certainly appreciate the humor in this book.
Tara Calaby
I would never have finished this if it hadn't been written by Stiller and Garofalo. It's amazing that two extremely funny people can manage to write such a completely UNfunny book.
Alicia
Not only does this book send up self-help (which I can't stand), it also mentions TJ O'Pootertoot's! The best sketch ever from the Ben Stiller Show.
  • Santa Steps Out: A Fairy Tale for Grown-Ups
  • Introducing Buddha (Introducing)
  • Brain Lock: Free Yourself from Obsessive-Compulsive Behavior
  • The Outline of History, Volume 1: Being a Plain History of Life and Mankind
  • There Are No Accidents
  • The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language
  • Getting in the Gap
  • Inventory: 16 Films Featuring Manic Pixie Dream Girls, 10 Great Songs Nearly Ruined by Saxophone, and 100 More Obsessively Specific Pop-Culture Lists
  • The Complete Fawlty Towers
  • Between Time and Timbuktu, Or Prometheus 5
  • You've Got to Read This: Contemporary American Writers Introduce Stories that Held Them in Awe
  • The Book of Questions
  • Nothing's Sacred
  • Choice Theory: A New Psychology of Personal Freedom
  • Wish You Were Here: An Essential Guide to Your Favorite Music Scenes—from Punk to Indie and Everything in Between
  • Bigfoot Cinderrrrrella
  • Play It Again, Sam
Benjamin Edward "Ben" Stiller is an Emmy Award-winning American comedian, actor, film producer and director. He is the son of veteran comedians and actors Jerry Stiller and Anne Meara. After beginning his acting career with a play, he wrote several mockumentaries, and was offered two of his own shows, both entitled The Ben Stiller Show. After acting in a few films, Stiller had his directorial debu...more
More about Ben Stiller...
The Ben Stiller Show Greenberg Siga Este Livro Zoolander The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

“Taking into account the public's regrettable lack of taste, it is incumbent upon you not to fit in.” 34 likes
“Your average person wouldn't recognize a sublime entity if it attempted to fist fuck them while waiting in line for the next Batman sequel. ” 9 likes