Start by marking “Girls Who Rocked The World” as Want to Read:
Girls Who Rocked The World

Girls Who Rocked The World

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  57 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
The only book to profile girl heroines who made their mark on the world before turning twenty.

Why is it that girls who want to be basketball starts or presidents of their country grow into teenagers who doubt they will ever do anything important? What are we telling girls about what they can and can't achieve? There have been many influential girls throughout history, but

Unknown Binding, 112 pages
Published January 1st 1998 by Scholastic Inc

To ask other readers questions about Girls Who Rocked The World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girls Who Rocked The World

Amy
Mar 08, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it
This is the third book of short biographies I've read with my daughter - the other two are Girls Who Grew Up Great and
Women Who Achieved Greatness.

Of the three, this one seems to have the most variety so far. I think this is because the author uses a slightly different selection criteria - to be included, a girl had to accomplish something before the age of 20.

All three of these books make decent bedtime reading material - it's very easy to go through a couple of biographies and then stop. No
Marie F
Dec 22, 2015 Marie F rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I previewed this before school kicked off, but the kiddos finally checked it out. I think the biggest issue my kids had (and it caused *huge* annoyance and groans whenever it reared) was the way it constantly assumes the reader is a girl. One of them pointed out that it undermines the whole idea of highlighting overlooked females in history to expect it will only be of interest to young girls and that it "makes it feel like boys don't need to recognize female achievements because they are not as ...more
Shoshana
May 07, 2014 Shoshana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Non- fiction means that a book is true. It could include the Holocaust, World War i and ii, sports, and more. The book Girls who Rocked the World is about how different famous girls grew up. It also tells us about how powerful they were and how they made a change in the world. Girls who Rocked the World is a chapter book and each chapter is about a different girl and how they grew up. The chapters that I focused on were: Cleopatra, ruler of Egypt; Phillis Wheatley, a poet; Martina Hingis, a tenn
Sue
May 29, 2013 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting choice of people here. I'm very glad that I didn't skip through or give up before the end because this lady really did save the best for last. Who had ever seen a picture of Mother Theresa (of India) when she was young?

I was blown away with some of the choices at the end: Wang Yani (painter) and Vanessa-Mae Nicholson (violinist). Simply beautiful people, doing extraordinary things.

Sorry, lost a star because of the terrible cover, plus some editorial and spelling errors.
Jacki
This was another group of biographical stories assigned for the literature groups we have in class. I read through each one, so I would know the information presented. A short 2-3 page biography is given on women who made a difference or contributed to something in history when they were young. Examples are: S.E. Hinton, Queen Victoria, Indira Ghandi, and Helen Keller. Each one was short and to the point and I think they are good pieces to keep the students interested.
MaryKay
Apr 28, 2012 MaryKay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I listened to the audio version of this book narrated by Christina Moore. The stories were positive and uplifting. I liked this book better than others with similar themes such as "Heroes for My Daughter" by Brad Meltzer and "Amelia to Zora: Twenty-Six Women Who Changed the World". I'm sure there are controversial details in the lives of the women who are discussed that are glossed over. The stories in "Girls Who Rocked the World" are easy to follow and very accessible.
Natalie
Apr 08, 2012 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Babe Didrikson was good at all sorts of sports, baseball, basketball, golf, and others. This book is about different girls in the world that did something that helped us lately and it was only a few pages about this girl so I didn't got to know that much about her. Babe wasn't her real name but it was her nickname since she was a good baseball player, all her friends called her babe.
Ubalstecha
Another in the collection of "Rocked the World" books that collect the stories of amazing women who starting having an impact when they were very young. As with the other books in this series, there is too much of an emphasis on the arts and sports.
Edgar
Mar 29, 2008 Edgar rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good feminist Book and Good History facts to fill your brain with knowledge....
Kendra
Aug 25, 2008 Kendra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
My niece is one of the contributors to this book.
Blair
Apr 15, 2009 Blair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book is very inspirational.
Jack C.
Biography

Quarter 1
Rachelle
Rachelle marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Stellaluna
Stellaluna rated it really liked it
May 11, 2016
Marnie
Marnie rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Anna-pines
Anna-pines marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Skylar Escobedo
Skylar Escobedo marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Harleigh
Harleigh rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Robyn Hartz ford
Robyn Hartz ford marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2015
Shawn Ramkissoon
Shawn Ramkissoon marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2015
Keir Bridges
Keir Bridges marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Adrian Brown
Adrian Brown marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Carmen
Carmen added it
Sep 10, 2015
Cody Martin
Cody Martin marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Sheri
Sheri marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Mimi
Mimi marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Karina Torres
Karina Torres marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Lauren Velzke
Lauren Velzke marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015