Start by marking “Girls Who Rocked The World” as Want to Read:
Girls Who Rocked The World

Girls Who Rocked The World

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The only book to profile girl heroines who made their mark on the world before turning twenty.

Why is it that girls who want to be basketball starts or presidents of their country grow into teenagers who doubt they will ever do anything important? What are we telling girls about what they can and can't achieve? There have been many influential girls throughout history, but

Unknown Binding, 112 pages
Published January 1st 1998 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Girls Who Rocked The World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girls Who Rocked The World

Amy
This is the third book of short biographies I've read with my daughter - the other two are Girls Who Grew Up Great and
Women Who Achieved Greatness.

Of the three, this one seems to have the most variety so far. I think this is because the author uses a slightly different selection criteria - to be included, a girl had to accomplish something before the age of 20.

All three of these books make decent bedtime reading material - it's very easy to go through a couple of biographies and then stop. No
Shoshana

Non- fiction means that a book is true. It could include the Holocaust, World War i and ii, sports, and more. The book Girls who Rocked the World is about how different famous girls grew up. It also tells us about how powerful they were and how they made a change in the world. Girls who Rocked the World is a chapter book and each chapter is about a different girl and how they grew up. The chapters that I focused on were: Cleopatra, ruler of Egypt; Phillis Wheatley, a poet; Martina Hingis, a tenn
Sue
Interesting choice of people here. I'm very glad that I didn't skip through or give up before the end because this lady really did save the best for last. Who had ever seen a picture of Mother Theresa (of India) when she was young?

I was blown away with some of the choices at the end: Wang Yani (painter) and Vanessa-Mae Nicholson (violinist). Simply beautiful people, doing extraordinary things.

Sorry, lost a star because of the terrible cover, plus some editorial and spelling errors.
Jacki
This was another group of biographical stories assigned for the literature groups we have in class. I read through each one, so I would know the information presented. A short 2-3 page biography is given on women who made a difference or contributed to something in history when they were young. Examples are: S.E. Hinton, Queen Victoria, Indira Ghandi, and Helen Keller. Each one was short and to the point and I think they are good pieces to keep the students interested.
MaryKay
I listened to the audio version of this book narrated by Christina Moore. The stories were positive and uplifting. I liked this book better than others with similar themes such as "Heroes for My Daughter" by Brad Meltzer and "Amelia to Zora: Twenty-Six Women Who Changed the World". I'm sure there are controversial details in the lives of the women who are discussed that are glossed over. The stories in "Girls Who Rocked the World" are easy to follow and very accessible.
Natalie
Babe Didrikson was good at all sorts of sports, baseball, basketball, golf, and others. This book is about different girls in the world that did something that helped us lately and it was only a few pages about this girl so I didn't got to know that much about her. Babe wasn't her real name but it was her nickname since she was a good baseball player, all her friends called her babe.
Ubalstecha
Another in the collection of "Rocked the World" books that collect the stories of amazing women who starting having an impact when they were very young. As with the other books in this series, there is too much of an emphasis on the arts and sports.
Edgar
Good feminist Book and Good History facts to fill your brain with knowledge....
Kendra
My niece is one of the contributors to this book.
Blair
this book is very inspirational.
Jack C.
Biography

Quarter 1
Katie
Katie added it
Jul 01, 2014
Florian
Florian marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Kim R
Kim R added it
Mar 13, 2014
Alvinacheampong
Alvinacheampong marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Frank
Frank marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Mame Zirro
Mame Zirro marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2013
Bec Plumbe
Bec Plumbe marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2013
Sharen Lorch
Sharen Lorch marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Girls Who Rocked The World: Heroines From Anne Frank to Natalie Portman Cewek-Cewek T. O. P. B. G. T. Girls Who Rocked the World: Heroines from Joan of Arc to Mother Teresa