Start by marking “A Good Wife” as Want to Read:
A Good Wife

A Good Wife

It seemed strange to Serena Lightfoot that whenever she most needed help, orthopaedic surgeon Mr. Ivo van Doelen always seemed to have a solution. When he installed her at his old nanny's home in Chelsea, Serena knew she couldn't stay long, for she was in danger of losing her heart to him. But Ivo knew what he wantedhe simply needed space to allow Serena to get to know him

Paperback, The Best of Betty Neels, 185 pages
Published July 1st 2003 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about A Good Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Good Wife

Pamela Shropshire
Dec 01, 2016 Pamela Shropshire rated it really liked it
Shelves: tgb
Poor Serena Lightfoot! Saddled with a mean, selfish, lazy, hypochondriac father and two brothers cut from the same cloth, a fair-weather would-have-been-fiancé, and short, plump and plain to boot!

Just because Serena asked for a holiday from caring for her father and the household, he disinherited her except for 500, which truth be told, Serena considered to be quite a bargain along with her freedom after her father dies of a sudden stroke.

She had met a handsome Dutch doctor, Ivo van Doelen, an o
Barb in Maryland
Jul 31, 2010 Barb in Maryland rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Not one of our Betty's best efforts. But enjoyable enough. All the standard Betty themes are present: Rich Dutch Doctor--check, marriage of convenience--check, cat our heroine can't part from--check, heroine, variation #2(no marketable skills)--check. Throw in nasty family life for heroine, mysterious other woman, malicious gossip re: RDD and other woman, stir twice, bake at 350 for one hour, serve with tea.

Fans of Ms Neels will enjoy it. For those not familiar with Neels' work, this is not the
Heather
Jul 14, 2011 Heather rated it liked it
What I never realized about BN -- until this year and my Georgette Heyer binge -- is that BN clearly read Georgette Heyer. She must have. Turns of phrase, character types -- it all sounds familiar. And I think it's kind of sweet. Like a literary family tree. Georgette Heyer begot Betty Neels who begot.... hmmm... The dust on Betty is kind of thick. I'm not sure who would be using her as their literary model.
Elizabeth
Jan 17, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
This was a so so short historical romance for me. I've gotten a cople of these from a friend and decided to read them. I'd like to know though for anyone reading this who likes her books is Lightfoot a common last name for her or did she right a series on these names. I ask this because I read two of her books this one and The Chain of Destiny and she used Lightfoot for both of he female leads and it was a very similar book.
Catherine
The first book that I read from this author. It was cute, enjoyable to read, and clean. Although I appreciated that it was clean, I was disappointed that the book ended right after (view spoiler)
Patricia schmit
Jun 17, 2016 Patricia schmit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just Okay

Kind of boring, actually. Both main characters lack much depth, and the situations appear to be rather contrived. Still, a story by Betty is an easy read - very relaxing in a stressed-out world.
Mandy Hemmings
Aug 21, 2013 Mandy Hemmings rated it really liked it
I love Betty Neels' genteel books with their Dutch doctor heroes and no-nonsense heroines - they're like a comfort blanket! This was was no exception - would recommend to all who like sweet, clean romance with a humorous turn of phrase!
Judith
Dec 13, 2012 Judith rated it it was ok
The book dragged. It should have resolved the question of him loving her at least 100 pages earlier. If that had happened, their could have been more action in the plot.
Amy Dinello
Sharon
May 21, 2012 Sharon added it
Easy read.
Steve Douglas
Steve Douglas rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2013
Odile Feria
Odile Feria rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2012
Elise
Elise rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2008
Olly
Olly rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2010
Liz
Liz rated it liked it
May 18, 2011
Anne Burgoyne
Anne Burgoyne rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Camy
Camy rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2013
Maggie
Maggie rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2013
Christalee Sawyer
Christalee Sawyer rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2013
Suraya Shaharudin
Suraya Shaharudin rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2015
Patricia Stanley
Patricia Stanley rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2015
Lia Ling
Lia Ling rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2012
Janani Srinivasan
Janani Srinivasan rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2013
Dannica Baker
Dannica Baker rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2015
Renata
Renata rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2013
Amanda Reny
Amanda Reny rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2016
Maryannflouroy
Maryannflouroy rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2016
aem
aem rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Luke
  • Light My Fire (The DeMarco Family, #4)
  • A Game of Vows
  • Return Engagement
  • One Wild Wedding Night (Santori Stories, #6)
  • Waves of Fire
  • The Millionaire Meets His Match (Duke Brothers #1)
  • The Ghost and the Femme Fatale (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #4)
  • Married to the Viscount (Swanlea Spinsters, #5)
  • Face-Off
  • The Loner (Men Out of Uniform #4)
  • The Fortune Hunter (Lovers and Ladies, #5)
  • Sexiest Man Alive (Make Me a Match, #2)
  • Death at the Bar (Roderick Alleyn, #9)
  • An Anne Perry Christmas: A Christmas Journey / A Christmas Visitor (Christmas Stories, #1-2)
  • The Taming of Annabelle (The Six Sisters, #2)
Betty Neels was born on September 15, 1910 in Devon to a family with firm roots in the civil service. She said she had a blissfully happy childhood and teenage years.(This stood her in good stead later for the tribulations to come with the Second World War). She was sent away to boarding school, and then went on to train as a nurse, gaining her SRN and SCM, that is, State Registered Nurse and ...more
More about Betty Neels...