Start by marking “Grimbold's Other World” as Want to Read:
Grimbold's Other World

Grimbold's Other World

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Some time back, wicked machinations in the world of night resulted in the prince and heir-apparent being abandoned in our world. Named Muffler, and raised by simple goat herders, Muffler seems all set to lead a perfectly normal and peaceful life- except that he has the power to talk to animals. This leads him into a friendship with Grimbold, a black cat who knows a lot mor ...more
Published October 1st 1990 by Faber & Faber (first published 1963)

Miriam
Was this just reissued? I thought from the way the reviews looked that it was new, but the copy I got from my library was published in 1963. Given the past decade's glut of kids' and young-adult fantasies this tale may not seem as original to modern readers as it once did, but I think it is still an excellent light read.

A baby found abandoned in a scarf is named Muffler and raised as a goatherd in a small village. He grows to be a kind and honest boy who composes songs and has a special bond wi
robyn
One of my favorite books in the world, and one of my favorite authors. Nicholas Stuart Gray was retelling old fairy tales and inventing new ones long after their heyday, and long before it became trendy. Good fairy tales, like good ghost stories, are few and far between. His stories are innocent and tender and poignant, and entirely lovely. I highly recommend them for children or for adults.
Nelia
My mother hunted down this book for me when I was a child, because she loved it so much when she was little. I named both my cats after the cats in the book (a black cat called Grimbold, a tabby named Dulcie). This is a lovely storybook for children that will stay with you and make you look forward to the day when you can share it with someone else.
Cheryl Grossman
Jan 27, 2009 Cheryl Grossman rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle school and older
Very fairy-tale book about a foundling who finds that because he is a poet, he can enter a fantastical night world where horses who plow fields by day, fly; where cats are the size of panthers; and dogs, the size of rabbits (self-image being everything). Episodic and chapters are followed by poems related to the adventure in the chapter.
CLM
Although there is a lost prince and various magical creatures in this book, it is the mastermind cat Grimbold who is the central character of this fantasy. One of my childhood favorites and a book that definitely needs to be republished to reach a new audience of fantasy lovers.
Dana
One of the best books I read as a kid. I remember wishing I had a cat like Grimbold who would take me to that other world like he did for the boy in this story. Some great poetry too, as I recall.
Hilary
A reread, dug up from the second-hand vaults of Amazon; a happy reminder of the days when children� s fiction was not big business and was allowed to be as odd and offbeat as it pleased.
Avalon
I loved this book - it is still on my bookcase and I re-read it every now and then. Grimbold is a delightful cat!
Edward
A starling purity and wisdom, like skipping the well and going straight to the spring.
Gordon Maclellan
I love the gentle simplicity of this book. It is a charming enchantment full of whimsy and poetry and to be recommended for an evening read by the fire when you need a bit of heartwarming
Ariel
A re-read of one of my all-time favorite books as a child. It holds up wonderfully well. A poetic changeling goatherd discovers that he can enter a "night world" with the help of a sardonic, magical black cat. All the animals are great, especially his devoted if whiny goats, In this night world, which is beautiful, glamorous, and dangerous, everyone is the size he imagines himself to be. Magical creatures abound. The plot is too complicated to go into and may not even be the point.
Susan Thornton
I can honestly say I have had more pleasure from this book, and re-read it more times than any other. I was constantly borrowing it from the library as a child, and have read it to my children and lent it to my nephews - all of whom loved it too. Why it has not been republished is beyond me!
Scotty
This book delighted me and a child as lovely tale of magic (and probably is responsible for my love of cats), and it still delights me today. I have purchased copies for my nieces, and my daughters have my original 1963 copy
Yassmin Sanders
This is a fabulous book. I first read it when I was 11 and it has stayed in my mind ever since. Re-reading it as an adult did not disappoint.
Tree
I read this as a child and still rate it as one of my favourite books.
Konsumschnecke
Ich liebe meinen Kinderfantasyklassiker.
Kimmy
Want to read it again!!!!
J8
J8 marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Karla
Karla marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Dashka
Dashka marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Meade Haller
Meade Haller marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Olivia Crocker
Olivia Crocker marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Camila
Camila marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Mrsniamhgriffin
Mrsniamhgriffin marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Children's Books and Ebooks 1 3 Feb 06, 2013 07:41AM
Nicholas Stuart Gray (23 October 1922, Scotland - 17 March 1981) was a British actor and playwright, perhaps best known for his work in children's theatre in England. He was also an author of children's fantasy; he wrote a number of novels, a dozen plays, and many short stories. Neil Gaiman has written that Gray "is one of those authors I loved as a boy who holds up even better on rereading as an ...more
More about Nicholas Stuart Gray...
The Seventh Swan The Stone Cage The Apple Stone Mainly in Moonlight Over The Hills To Fabylon