Start by marking “Trans Liberation: Beyond Pink or Blue” as Want to Read:
Trans Liberation: Beyond Pink or Blue

Trans Liberation: Beyond Pink or Blue

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  977 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Those who have heard Leslie Feinberg speak in person know how powerful and inspiring s/he can be. In Trans Liberation, Feinberg has gathered a collection of hir speeches on trans liberation and its essential connection to the liberation of all people. This wonderfully immediate, impassioned, and stirring book is for anyone who cares about civil rights and creating a just a...more
Published October 10th 1999 by Beacon Press (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Trans Liberation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trans Liberation

Aitziber
Feb 16, 2014 Aitziber rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those struggling with their gender identity
This is a world where jokes about men getting confused at women's many emotions, and women being unable to enjoy a good round of guns and sports, are accepted and a good way to gain Facebook Likes. Feinberg considers anyone who deviates from these strict concepts of male and female, an ally in the trans liberation movement. To that effect, ze gave speeches in 1997 to rally troops to the cause.

Heterosexual cross-dressers, drag queens, drag kings, Queer Studies college students, Pride organizers,...more
Adam
Since it was the first book on trans politics I was ever exposed to, I got the impression this book was something of "the manifesto," the standard comprehensive intro to the topic. It kind of is that, but the speech-collection format is something I never enjoy, and it's certainly not a good way to make a book. The ideas are repetitive and shallow for book content, since Les has to cover the same ground for each audience and doesn't have the time to go to deep into any one thing.

So Les makes a c...more
Jackson Radish
May 21, 2011 Jackson Radish rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: trans folks who want to feel more connected; activisty folks who want to be more trans friendly
Shelves: queer, nonfiction
I read this a few years ago, and I remember it actually being my favorite of Leslie Feinberg's books.

The thing I loved about this book is that Leslie really connects the experience of having a trans body and/or a trans experience with a greater struggle of trying to live and survive in the midst of a horrible economy made up of "haves" and "have-nots"--stuff that is not unique to the trans experience.

I sometimes get frustrated that a lot of awesome books out there that discuss trans stuff do so...more
A few of my favorite quotes:

"While there is as yet no language for who I have become, I articulate my gender -- silent to the ear, but thunderous to the eye."

"I have seen a substantial current of women across the United States - straight, lesbian, and bisexual - welcome discovering more about trans liberation. They are thrilled at the way our movement is helping revitalize women's liberation by revisiting discussions about what it means to be a woman, and how the reduction of 'woman' to one comm...more
Tinea
First off: read Stone Butch Blues.

Leslie Feinberg reminds me of bell hooks in that hir writing is intersectional, sharp, and so clear that you can relax even as you read challenging work. I'm not psyched on the 'collection of speeches' format of this book, but the content was excellent, short, and to the point. Feinberg's speeches are juxtaposed with short essays by a range of trans activists writing about their identities and activism. There's a lot of passion, history, and hope in this small v...more
Billy
This quote from the introduction We Are All Works in Progress sums up the relevance of the book:
"To me, gender is the poetry each of us makes out of the language we are taught."
This book is a wonderful read for people new to trans issues because each chapter is from a different perspective, written by a different trans identified person. The language is accepting and free of jargon. Trans liberation is ultimately the liberation of the self from society's oppressive confines, whether you conside...more
Gwen
Just as there is a sub-genre for trans memoirs at this point there is also a huge field of trans anger cloaked as activism books out there. Don't read this, we aren't all like this. Just looking at this cover is frustrating me. There are blogs done by trans teenagers that are better than this book.
Sonja
Although this volume of personal profiles and public addresses is a bit dated, it serves as a fairly good introduction to the history of the trans movement and some still-current issues. It effectively challenges the view that sex and gender are ""normally" a duality: M/F or even Straight/Gay.
A passage which has stayed with me is this, " We are told from the time that we learn to walk that the magic number is two: male/female, black/white, right/wrong, day/night, sun/moon, good/evil...the list g...more
HeavyReader
I wrote this review of Trans Liberation: Beyond Pink or Blue for the Winter 1999/Spring 2000 issue of The MSRRT Newsletter. This was the last issue of The MSRRT Newsletter that I wrote for, possible the last issue of The MSRRT Newsletter that was ever produced.

This third book by transgender activist Leslie Feinberg is a collection of eight essays, many adapted from addresses delivered during speaking engagements in 1997. It also includes ten written self-portraits by other trans people and suppo...more
Nathan
This is another awesome book by Leslie Feinberg - in this one, ze examines the rift between transgender rights and feminism, and argues that they need each other and can benefit from each other's experience.

This book is primarily an attack on transphobia within the feminist movement, and while I can say that this seems to be decreasing in general, it's important to mention that transgender rights are often put on the back burner when compared to major social issues like gay marriage and equal pa...more
Rachel Mills
Jul 28, 2012 Rachel Mills is currently reading it
Shelves: gender-theory
I am re-reading this book. I first read it at least 10 years ago when I was thinking a lot about gender theory.

I'm currently on the first chapter where she is speaking to a cross-dresser's conference.

I like the way ze draws the different varieties of T* experience together. It's easy to forget that trans experience extends further than just transwoman/transman if you are a transwoman/transman. In fact there are large numbers of people who identify as men or women but need or want to express th...more
Tina.
My love and admiration for Leslie Feinberg are endless. This book is a collection of hir speeches from different conferences/rallies in the late 90's. The book also includes portraits written by other trans activists.

One of my favorite quotes from this book: "The people who make a difference in history are those who fight for freedom--not because they're guaranteed to succeed--but because it's the right thing to do. And that's the kind of fighters that history demands today. Not those who worsh...more
Lila Bird
I bought this book to use some direct quotes from Leslie Feinberg for a paper that I wrote in a sexuality studies course. It is simply an inspiring collection of transcriptions from speeches ze has given at a variety of conferences and forums on gender identity. Ze discusses trans issues such as feeling invisible in a society that mandates binary gender, as well as more important realities, such as the common lack of availability and access to trans-friendly health care. Feinberg incites hir aud...more
Sassafras Lowrey
the raw and powerful words of Leslie Feinberg, intersectional and strong this is where we truly meet Leslie the activist
Samantha Gayle
The risks and beauty of buying things online... I didn't read around it and thought it was a novel... No: it's a series of essays on human rights. Do I regret making this 'mistake'? No! I got into it quickly. I loved it.
Amelia
I got this book at the Minnehaha Free Space library.

This is an interesting book, where each chapter is a profile of a different person, or a speech that was given at an event. Some are the speeches are to a quite specific group of people. All of the profiles are very interesting!

I would recommend this book. It is helpful to understand people who may have different challenges from you.
Xander
This book is a collection of speeches by Feinberg as well as short pieces by other trans* people. I thought what Feinberg had to say was really interesting, but the problem was that a lot of the information was repeated in several speeches, so there were a few times that I got a little bored. It's definitely worth a read, though, as ze has a lot of interesting things to say.
Alie
The portraits of peoples struggles and confirmations of their own gender identification were really moving. Some of the speeches Leslie gave were informative like, "I cant afford to be sick" gave a good look at health care in for trans people and all people with at insurance. However she makes a lot of calls to action that leave me asking, "How." Overall a good read.
Beth
Love the Leslie F but would assign different readings on gender miself. I dislike this book for a similar reason as I dislike People's History. People's History - just read some of the books in the bibliography. TransL - use some of the books People's bibliography! My basic rant in this discussion: I love reclaiming history, but use some primary resources! Yeesh!
Emmett Moore
Feinberg's book was interesting and convicting. I'd recommend it to anybody, regardless of their gender. Sie pulled together a beautiful mix of the thoughts of others and her own public speeches; all were worth reading, and carried a different perspective of and hope for trans people. It was a very affirming read, one that I'll visit again, I'm sure.
Milo
Short, sweet, and to the point. Les is so poetic in getting a blunt point across. You can feel the anger and insistence, but at the same time are not scared off by it. A fantastic book to start with if you're unfamiliar with trans issues or do not believe them to consider you (provided you're in the male/female dichotomy).
Kstn
Aug 21, 2007 Kstn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: sean, lloyd, puja, jon, and anyone else interested
i definitely dig les feinberg's writing style and appreciate his focus on showing how trans liberation relates to and is part and parcel of other social struggles around race and wealth inequality.

also, every other chapter is a self-portrait. i love love love personal stories. very quick read.
Ryan Mishap
Collection of speeches covering many aspects of trans life, identity and "fight back." Also, several portraits of trans-activists who write about themselves and their lives. Feinberg is great: insightful, aware, right-on, and dedicated.
Bart
Trans Liberation is a fast read and perhaps a good intro to intersex and trans issues. The book is a collection of Les Feinberg's speeches and seem like they were more effective when Feinberg spoke them.
Catherine
This collection of many of Feinberg's speeches is inspirational and eye-opening.

Feinberg manages to point out the flaws in the way so many of us think without making us feel inadequate or unkind.
Chapin
"The people who make a difference in history are those who fight for freedom -- not because they're guaranteed to succeed -- but because it's the right thing to do."
Sarah Jane
This book is great, full of personal information about the struggles of trans folks. It's very accessible and informative.
Caitlin
Oct 03, 2009 Caitlin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Caitlin by: Cadelba
I'd highly recommend this peek into the transgender community. I enjoyed reading this book and found it very thought-provoking.
Callie
This book was really helpful for me intially understand the range and role of gender in our societies and cultures.
Samara Gagne
Educational, enlightening, very moving and well spoken. Leslie Feinberg is a person I'd love to grab a pizza with.
  • GenderQueer: Voices From Beyond the Sexual Binary
  • Queer Theory, Gender Theory: An Instant Primer
  • Becoming a Visible Man
  • Imagining Transgender: An Ethnography of a Category
  • S/He
  • Intersex (For Lack of a Better Word)
  • Brazen Femme: Queering Femininity
  • Myths of Gender: Biological Theories about Women and Men
Leslie Feinberg is a transgender activist, speaker, and author. Feinberg is a high ranking member of the Workers World Party and a managing editor of Workers World newspaper.

Feinberg's writings on LGBT history, "Lavender & Red," frequently appear in the Workers World newspaper. Feinberg's partner is the prominent lesbian poet-activist Minnie Bruce Pratt. Feinberg has also been involved in Camp...more
More about Leslie Feinberg...
Stone Butch Blues Transgender Warriors : Making History from Joan of Arc to Dennis Rodman Drag King Dreams Transgender Liberation: A Movement Whose Time Has Come Rainbow Solidarity in Defense of Cuba

“Gender is the poetry each of us makes out of the language we are taught.” 37 likes