Broken Song

Broken Song

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The year is 1897, and gifted violinist Reuven Bloom is fifteen years old. Life for the Jews in Russia is very hard. First Reuven's best friend is captured to serve in the Tsar's army, then his parents and older sister are murdered. Reuven's dreams of music must be set aside. Now he has only one goal: escape. With his baby sister strapped to his back, Reuven sets off toward...more
Published March 3rd 2005 by Viking Juvenile

The Book Thief by Markus ZusakA Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba BrayNumber the Stars by Lois LowryThe Luxe by Anna GodbersenThe Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare
Teen Historical Fiction
349th out of 693 books — 1,864 voters
The Bronze Horseman by Paullina SimonsAnna Karenina by Leo TolstoyTatiana and Alexander by Paullina SimonsWar and Peace by Leo TolstoyDoctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak
Historical Fiction: Russia
57th out of 120 books — 209 voters

More lists with this book...

Kay Leslie
Once again Kathryn Lasky has told with great style and emotion a very interesting story. Reuven and his sister Rachel are the only ones survive a pogrom that destroys their family and their town in Russia. Reuven's inner strength saves them both. And it is that strength that eventually leads them both to a new and productive life in a America.
Robert B. Miller
Read by Anjie, Summer 2006:
"The jacket suggests a reading age of 10 and up. Some of the passages were a little distracting because I wasn't sure of the pronunciations (Yiddish and Russian). The story takes place in 1897, in a small Jewish village in Russia where Reuven Bloom is a fifteen-year-old violinist. The Jewish people in his village live in fear because the tsar's army kidnap young Jewish men, and burn entire villages. Reuven's family, except his infant sister, Rachel, are murdered by the...more
Books Kids Like
Reuven Bloom lives with his family in the Russian Pale, an area inhabited by Jews. Even at the young age of fifteen, he’s an extremely talented violinist. Persecution is a way of life for Russian Jews, but the news of murderous pogroms throughout the Pale has everyone on edge. On the sixth day of Hanukkah in 1897, Reuven’s parents and older sister are murdered by Cossacks. Miraculously, Reuven and his baby sister, Rachel, survive. Dressed as a peasant woman and carrying Rachel in a basket, Reuve...more
Pass
Susi
This is a charming book about a very sad time. I agree with other reviewers that it's any early teen book. It has some tense parts that make it unsuitable for more sensitive kids.
Suzi
I always learn so much from her books, and this was no exception.
Miss Amanda
gr 5-9 150pgs

1897-1904 Berischeva village Russia/NYC. After everyone in his village is killed by Coassacks in a pogrom, 15 year old Reuven takes his baby sister Rachel and heads for Vilna where is cousin lives. He hopes that his cousin will be able to help, but to get they must survive the long journey there.

Interesting story. Recommended to middle school or higher. Companion book to "The Night Journey".
Mary Ann
This story comes from a dark time of our history, but makes me wonder if we've ever gotten out of the dark time of man. This story of how individuals handle revenge is thought provoking. Donald Graves would be affirmed in how Rachel saves her memories and adapts to a new language and country. ESL teachers could take heart from this story, but will need to get to the end to find their nugget of gold.
Daisy_walden
This book is sad, but hard to put down. A 16 year old Jewish boy, saw his parents and sister killed while he was hidden in the potato cellar (Fiddler on the Roof time period). His whole village was demolished and now he has to take his 16 month old sister on a trek to a far away village where he hopes he will be able to go to America where his uncle lives. I cant wait to see what happens.
Virginia
A moving story of Reuven and his journey with his baby sister, Rachel. Ever since I had my baby, I cry very easily when it comes to babies, and this story was no exception. Well-written and I learned a little history, to boot. My only gripe is that the ending is rather abrupt. (But I did like reading an epilogue to the characters I grew to love.)
Lora
This is a powerful, life-affirming book. Music has power beyond its momentary entertainment value; it can save a soul by helping a person connect with the best aspects of being human. Even though he has to set it aside to save his and his sister's lives, Reuven learns just how costly ignoring his musical gift could be.
Patricia
A good book about a young boy coming of age in war torn Russia during the late 1800's. He's a violinist that becomes a rebel and sabotuer for the underground. Quick read as it's juvenile literature category.
Leah Coffin
I read The Night Journey as a kid and loved it, although I didn't truly understand it until I reread it years later. This sequel is, quite simply, amazing, and dovetails beautifully with the original.
Cathy
A companion book for "The Night Journey". Join the resistance in saving Jews from the czar's pogroms. I am thrilled that Reuven got his own story...I really wondered what happened to him.
Jumpsinpuddles41
Jews in Russia 1897 - excellent
Sharia
Nov 11, 2012 Sharia added it
So sad, but a great sense of history.
Margo
Good for 5th grade and up
Samantha S.
Samantha S. marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Artemesia
Artemesia marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Chrystalin
Chrystalin marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Liyah
Liyah marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Minerva
Minerva marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Barbara Lovejoy
Barbara Lovejoy marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
Megan
Megan added it
Jan 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Kathryn Lasky is the American author of many critically acclaimed books, including several Dear America books, several Royal Diaries books, 1984 Newbery Honor winning Sugaring Time, The Night Journey, and the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series. She lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Her latest book, Guardians of Ga'Hoole Book 15: The War of the Ember, was released on November 1, 2008. Guardians of Gahoo...more
More about Kathryn Lasky...
The Capture (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #1) The Journey (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #2) The Rescue (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #3) The Siege (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #4) Elizabeth I: Red Rose of the House of Tudor, England, 1544

“If you are not for yourself, who will be for you? If you are only for yourself, what are you? If not now, when? –Rabbi Hillel” 1 likes