Start by marking “Blindsighted (Grant County, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blindsighted (Grant County, #1)

Blindsighted (Grant County #1)

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  44,265 Ratings  ·  1,803 Reviews
A small Georgia town erupts in panic when a young college professor is found brutally mutilated in the local diner. But it's only when town pediatrician and coroner Sara Linton does the autopsy that the full extent of the killer's twisted work becomes clear.

Sara's ex-husband, police chief Jeffrey Tolliver, leads the investigation--a trail of terror that grows increasingly
Published October 2002 by HarperTorch (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Blindsighted, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Timaz I think exactly the same and even asked it in my review. the answer that has given before me is sufficient and that is what was necessary. as the…moreI think exactly the same and even asked it in my review. the answer that has given before me is sufficient and that is what was necessary. as the author of this short answer wrote, Karin could explain exactly the same in her book to cover this gap. she could wrote "Murderer followed her to Grant County to give her a chance to save other victims and thus redeem herself and himself." but I didn't managed to extract this meaning from the book by myself. (less)

Wendy Darling
If you love gritty suspense thrillers, you really must give Karin Slaughter a try. The forensics, the police work, etc are all exceptionally well done, and her characters are fantastic. I'm copying the rest below from my review of Fallen, the eleventh book in the series.

For anyone who is interested in checking out this series, please note that it's important to read them in order since the author wrote two separate series that eventually merge. Here's the order in which they should be read:

Gran
Norma
Well after reading BLINDSIGHTED I now consider myself to be a full-blown KARIN SLAUGHTER fan! This is only the second book I have read by her and the first book in her Grant County Series which I thoroughly enjoyed. So this definitely will not be my last and I think that I will probably find myself binge reading the rest of the books in this series.

BLINDSIGHTED by KARIN SLAUGHTER is a gritty, edgy, engrossing, and suspenseful mystery / thriller that had me interested enough to turn those pages a
Lawyer
Feb 20, 2013 Lawyer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Uhmmm...
Recommended to Lawyer by: I confess it was a Nook Find for $1.99
Blindsighted: Karin Slaughter's first Sara Linton novel

And the publishers announce:

First there was Patricia Cornwell!

photo PatriciaCornwell_zps78f8f3a9.jpg

THEN there was Kathy Reichs!

photo bones_reichs_388_zpsd5ca45bd.jpg

NOW GET READY FOR KARIN SLAUGHTER!

photo KarinSlaughter_zps1fcf68e9.jpg
Karin Slaughter

Welcome to Grant County, Georgia. Don't look for it on a Georgia map. It isn't there. And in this fictional County, there's a fictional town. It's a small town called Heartsdale, somewhere around Madison, but before you hit Augusta.

Eddie Linton and Daughters is a plumbing company in town. But it should
Mo
Sep 01, 2015 Mo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Ms Slaughter's debut novel so maybe I should cut her some slack. I don't know what it was about it that just did not grab me. Thought the main characters were quite uninspiring and boring. There was no romance as such in the book. Some of the scenes were quite gruesome. A bit OTT and I thought she was trying to "shock" readers too much.

My main reason for starting this series is that one of the characters, Sara Linton, appears in the Will Trent series, which I was enjoying very much.

Might
Tim The Enchanter
Posted to The Literary Lawyer.ca

Beautiful Body that is Missing a Soul - 3.5 Stars

This was my first foray into the world of Karin Slaughter. Her world is filled with interesting characters, personal drama and a fair share of deranged individuals. I did enjoy the book. The writing was very good, the characters were interesting and the plot was good. That said, it seemed to be missing something. Something I am having a hard time putting my finger on. For all the positives, the story still lac
Ray Daniel
Feb 24, 2011 Ray Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hardly every rank a book with five stars. To get there the book needs to do three things:

1. Turn off my internal editor--As a writer I have an internal editor who screens everything I read and tries to improve it. It takes a great book to get him to shut up and let me enjoy the story. Blindsighted shut him down in two chapters.

2. Invade my life--I read every day on the elliptical trainer. But Blindsighted had me reading through all my airline flights, in the limo, and on my couch. I would wake
Susan
I have read Karin Slaughters, Will Trent series, and loved it. I was a little apprehensive about starting this series because I thought It may not be as good. Wrong, it was very good and will definitely be carrying on with the next book. Kathleen Early is an excellent narrator.
Sue
"Blindsighted" by Karin Slaughter, is the first book in the Grant County Series. If you love reading gritty suspense thrillers, you really must give Karin Slaughter a try. Karin Slaughter books are not for the faint of heart. Being a avid reader of mystery/suspense thrillers, this is the most graphic book I have read in this category.
The Forensics, the police work, etc are all exceptionally well done, and her characters are involving.

A small Georgia town erupts in panic when a young college pro
Sean Peters
Oct 29, 2012 Sean Peters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was voted as our June Book Read by our group " A Good Thriller"

Happy this book was voted as have enjoyed quite a few of Karin Slaughter books, although good to read this book as her debut book and the introduction of her character Sara Linton.

Karin Slaughter--a wonderful name for a crime/mystery writer--sets her novel in a small town in Georgia. Nothing much happens in Heartsdale, and the local pediatrician, Sara Linton, also works as the coroner. Sara meets her younger sister for lunc
Jonetta
Jun 17, 2011 Jonetta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sarah Linton is a pediatrician and the coroner for the town of Heartsdale in Grant County, Georgia. If that wasn't a weird enough combination, her ex-husband, Jeffrey Tolliver, is the town's police chief. I knew from the start this was going to be a different kind of story.

The crime
Sarah goes to the local diner for lunch with her sister. She's a little late and the lunch crowd is pretty much gone. When she goes to the restroom, she finds Sibyl Adams, a professor at the local college who is also
Brandi
Aug 19, 2015 Brandi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

Well, this didn't work for me at all - I haven't even wanted to pick it up for two days. Our main character was more scared than I could believe considering she's the coroner and dead bodies aren't foreign to her. I believed the shock she felt when she first saw the body, because you're not expecting something like that ever, but after that all her nerves were just annoying to me. Or how she was cradling the victim when the cop came, as if she were really close to this person, but she wasn't, s
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
I first read this book soon after it came out - and thoroughly enjoyed it. This time around I listened to it on my I-pod and enjoyed it every bit as much as the first read.

Karin Slaughter is an accomplished author who has never disappointed me.

This is the first of her Grant County series, in which we meet paediatrician and coroner Sarah Linton and her ex husband, Police Chief Jeffrey Tolliver.

Sarah reminds me a little of myself - fiercely independent and more than a little prickly. She is an in
Lauren
Blindsighted
4 Stars

Warning: this book is not for the squeamish or faint of heart as the crimes are described in gruesome and horrific detail.

While the characters are very compelling it is difficult to say that they are likable. They are all seriously flawed from Sara, the local pediatrician/coroner, with a devastating secret to Jeffrey, the local police chief and Sara's unfaithful ex-husband, to Lena, the hard-ass female detective with a huge chip on her shoulder. Nevertheless, the plot is well
Tammy Walton Grant

I think this is the second book by Karin Slaughter that I have sat down and read straight through.

For a forensic-type thriller I enjoyed it. Slaughter has thought up some pretty gruesome twists on a serial rapist/murderer plot, and I liked Tolliver, the chief of police, quite a bit. I also liked Sara Linton, the other main character. She is the coroner and also Tolliver's ex-wife. The tension get ratcheted up early on, and Slaughter keeps it up until the end. I only flipped ahead to se
Cynthisa
The many ERRORS in the medical issues of the book made it hard for me to enjoy what otherwise would have been a decent thriller. It's hard to excuse such glaring errors in a book in which a main character is supposed to be a physician and also a coroner. As an example, despite the dramatic pronouncement of the supposed expert on the drug ("There's no known antidote."), atropine (belladonna) DOES have an antidote (and the science of these types of nerve agents are well known, like Physiology 101 ...more
Mark
Jun 27, 2016 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the better thriller work
This was Karin Slaughters debut novel and what an impressive one to start off with, based upon this book I ordered a few more So Impressed I was.

This book is very female orientated and at no point did this bother me especially with this killer rapist that is going crazy in Grant County. The murders feel horrific the descriptions of this vile act of power visited on women has rarely been written about in such an intense and taut style which managed to scare me quite severe.

The title is quite true
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Liked this book, I never figured out the bad guy until the very end. Look forward to more of these characters.
Janie Johnson
Jan 15, 2015 Janie Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow and I was worried I would be disappointed with this book/series after reading her Will Trent series. I gotta say I was so wrong on that theory. This book starts the series out with a bang, It is nice to go back and learn a little about some of those characters we discover in the Will Trent series. Fantastic!

Synopsis
☮Karen
This was an OK story that left me wanting more. It was one of the shortest audio books I've come across because it was Abridged; and with less than an hour to go, I realized we still needed the second victim to materialize, and there were no clues yet about the killer's identity. At that point I guessed who it would be.
At the end, my immediate thought was that it needed more characters and more action. The more I pondered it, I also needed more explanation than I was given as to why exactly this
Anamy
Jan 13, 2012 Anamy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay so I don't normally tend to read non fantasy books but this was an exception (I got nagged in to it). I've been in a bit of a reading slump recently. I'm not sure why but this has really kicked me back into reading shape. This is one of those books that as soon as you read the first chapter you go WOW THIS IS GOOD.

IT has everything you could want from a book. Suspense, drama, gore and romance...and a good whodunit. I admit I knew who the murderer was as soon as he was introduced, because i
Freda Malone
Mar 06, 2015 Freda Malone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bonnie
In a small town in Georgia, a tragic and horrific murder shakes its residents to the core. The murder took place in a bathroom of a diner, shortly after the lunch rush, and no one heard or suspected a thing. Sara Linton, the towns coroner discovers the victim, Sibyl Adams, just barely hanging on to life, with a cross carved into her chest, but is unable to save her. Sara’s ex-husband, police chief Jeffrey Tolliver is investigating and discovers that another girl is now mysteriously missing only ...more
Erica

My BFF, T, loves these books, she binge-reads them like the rest of us watch the new season of "Sherlock" or "Orange Is the New Black." I thought it would be fun to give Slaughter a shot so T and I could do book talking.

Here are my thoughts, copy and pasted from my notes because I'm too lazy to write an actual review:

--A lot of this seems to be written with the purpose to shock.

--Wouldn’t one assume when a twin is killed that there’s an outside possibility the other twin is in danger, especially
Delta
Difficulty rating this one...

Ms. Slaughter's writing is very vivid and evokes all kinds of feelings. Blindsighted deals so much in dark, violent, and depressed emotions and without enough to offset that.

(view spoiler)
Kirsten *Make Margaret Atwood Fiction Again!"
Wow. What an intense book. I started listening to the audiobook this morning and could just not turn it off. The story, the characters, the setting are just wonderful. The suspense is well paced and ratcheted quite nicely up. I did figure out whoudunit about halfway through the book but it did not detract from my enjoyment at all.

The conflict between Sara and her ex-husband is wonderfully written and very real.
Aisling Zena
Paige
Nov 03, 2015 Paige rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5

Karin Slaughter’s 2001 debut is good at doing its thing—a gritty crime thriller genre novel that has lots of all those things (grit, police procedure, thriller-ness). It’s fast paced, and I definitely wanted to find out what happened next. Its ~420 pages easily felt like half that due to the plotting, suspense, and gotta-find-out-what-happens-next nature of it.

It is set in the South and almost all the characters are white. This book confronts both racism and sexism in a low key sort of way. N
Casey
3.5 out of 5

Blindsighted focuses on the Main Character Sara, a pediatrician in a small town who also works as the coroner. Sara finds a dead body gruesomely slayed in a ritualistic killing and works with her ex husband the police chief to find the killer.

I enjoy gritty novels but for the squeamish of heart fair warning; there is A LOT of gore and details about the murders that take place in this book. Now the gorier the better is what I say but there was one scene (view spoiler)
Sherie Marsh
Very Very Good Book!!! I think I have just fallen in Love with Karin Slaughter Books!!! I love the mystery the suspense and yes the gored details!!! Keeps me guessing the whole book through, Pretty Girls is still my favorite Karin Slaughter book but this one is really really Good!!! Now on to the next Slaughter book!!! I would have never thought this kind of murder mystery would be my thing but I am completely consumed with the suspense, mystery the detailed writing and as always the Twist I nev ...more
Heather Burnside
Sep 23, 2015 Heather Burnside rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great debut thriller. It is a very graphic and brutal novel in parts. The characters are realistic and their back stories form a great backdrop to the plot, which is intense and well-developed.

The author has given away just enough about the characters to intrigue the reader and leave room for further character development in subsequent novels.

Unfortunately, I guessed who the killer was well before the end but this didn't spoil my enjoyment of the book.
  • Scream for Me (Romantic Suspense, #8; Daniel Vartanian, #2)
  • A Perfect Evil (Maggie O'Dell, #1)
  • Shadow Man (Smoky Barrett, #1)
  • Evil at Heart (Archie Sheridan & Gretchen Lowell #3)
  • Say Goodbye (Quincy & Rainie, #6)
  • One Grave Too Many (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, #1)
  • Judas Kiss (Taylor Jackson, #3)
  • The Mermaids Singing (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #1)
  • Retribution (C.J. Townsend #1)
  • Deadly Dance (A-Tac, #5)
  • The Sinner (Rizzoli & Isles, #3)
  • Dead Run (Monkeewrench, #3)
  • Pray for Silence (Kate Burkholder, #2)
  • The Rosary Girls (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #1)
Karin Slaughter is the New York Times and #1 internationally bestselling author of fifteen thrillers, including UNSEEN, CRIMINAL, FALLEN, BROKEN, UNDONE, FRACTURED, BEYOND REACH, TRIPTYCH, FAITHLESS, COP TOWN, and the e-original short stories “Snatched” and “Busted.”

Slaughter was born in a small southern Georgia community, and now resides in Atlanta. She is widely credited with first coining the
More about Karin Slaughter...

Grant County (6 books)
  • Kisscut (Grant County, #2)
  • A Faint Cold Fear (Grant County, #3)
  • Indelible (Grant County, #4)
  • Faithless (Grant County, #5)
  • Beyond Reach (Grant County, #6)

“Jeffrey felt too blindsided” 1 likes