Start by marking “Asian American Panethnicity: Bridging Institutions and Identities” as Want to Read:
Asian American Panethnicity: Bridging Institutions and Identities

Asian American Panethnicity: Bridging Institutions and Identities

Explores the construction of large-scale affiliations, in which unrelated groups submerge their differences and assume a common identity. Making use of interviews and statistical data, this book examines how Asian panethnicity protects the rights and interests of all Asian American groups.
Published February 11th 1993 by Temple University Press (first published August 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Asian American Panethnicity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asian American Panethnicity

Kumar
Sep 17, 2015 Kumar rated it really liked it
Shelves: race, asian-american
A classic and important study of the development of Asian American panethnicity from the 1960s through the early 1990s. There is a focus to the development of and tensions in panethnic institutions, which is key to the book's defense of ethnicization as simultaneously a reactive and creative process. However, Espiritu does overemphasize the role of racial lumping in panethnic boundary construction, relegating the role of state categorization to one that is primarily relevant in resource distribu ...more
Carina
So, I guess I was expecting/wanting more of a focus on (individual) identity aspects of panethnicity, while this book is really a more numbers-based history of panethnic organization at the institutional level. So it was rather drier than I was expecting and not so easy-reading (as evidenced by the fact that it's less than 200 pages and I've been reading it since June). Still, I think it'll be a useful reference to me in future as I continue to work on Asian-American issues.
Christopher Tirri
Sep 01, 2012 Christopher Tirri rated it did not like it
For what I felt like I was going to get out of this book, it really didn't serve any purpose for me. It is based completely on politics and it only marginally touches on culture as it relates to those very same politics. The chapters and the text as a whole are nearly impenetrably dense for someone with little to no prior knowledge of the subject, and the text only serves to alienate those people further with its esoteric writing.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Xavier
Xavier added it
Sep 06, 2016
Kana
Kana marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Lanny Li
Lanny Li is currently reading it
Apr 22, 2016
Zhao
Zhao marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Leang Ngov
Leang Ngov marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Jacquelyn Tran
Jacquelyn Tran marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Milton Achelpohl
Milton Achelpohl rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Zoe Xiuha
Zoe Xiuha rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2015
Kristy
Kristy rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2015
Callie
Callie rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2015
Amrita Singh
Amrita Singh marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Mariah Charles
Mariah Charles marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Matthew Molina
Matthew Molina marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
yasmeen
yasmeen marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Sita
Sita rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Jasmine
Jasmine marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Cami
Cami added it
Oct 17, 2014
Paulinepaulista
Paulinepaulista marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014